TheEditor

Star Citizen

Star Citizen is fun, though currently only limited to pretty much arcade action in the Arena Commander (I joined too late to gain access to multiplayer yet). 

It's especially fun interacting with your hangar and ship via voice activation, like so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv0x69k6CFA

Using voice commands will make using the eventual CV1 of Occulus Rift much easier, and to me it feels like a natural way to interact when imagining far-future spacecraft. 

Similar to the above, I'm enjoying commanding my ship via Voice Attack.  I've been modifying the free R3B3CKA so she recognizes more of my voice commands, based on what I realize I naturally say when I need something done. You can also add in alternate phrases to introduce some randomness to her replies.

Edited by Charlo

I', pretty interested in this. Do you backers get the feeling that things are progressing, that they will actually deliver well on what they have offered? If so, that would be the last game I would ever play. I would need nothing else.

Nice.  I wonder if one day a flight sim would do something similar for bomber crews.

I', pretty interested in this. Do you backers get the feeling that things are progressing, that they will actually deliver well on what they have offered? If so, that would be the last game I would ever play. I would need nothing else.

For non-backers, I would keep an eye on two checkpoints:

1. They're planning a patch soon(this week) that's supposed to fix severe rubberbanding in the multiplayer arena. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBX2N4UMpE4

2. Next major content update to watch out for is multi-crewed ships in the arena. Having people walking around a moving ship while in combat. It'll be a few months at least. Someone will probably post about it in this thread.

If they can get these things working well, then I would say yes, I think they are progressing. Watch this thread...

But they still need lots of yet-to-be-implemented tech to make their MMO and single-player campaign. Huge, flyable space areas. Docking one ship inside another. Instancing. We'll see. I'm an optimist, their lead devs have vision and good intentions in terms of avoiding pay2win.

Edited by Calvamos

Just today I received an email from CIG entitled:

"Arena Commander Multiplayer Pre-Alpha Test Invite"

Okay, sounds cool, can't wait to get it downloading. Nice to be able to try it for myself.

Oh wait:

**IMPORTANT**

Please note that a game package is required to play Arena Commander
A game package includes a copy of the game as well as a ship
Game packages can be purchased from the pledge store on the RSI website:

Nice try guys... not very impressed at all...

Looks like I shan't be touching Star Citizen anytime soon. That sort of sneaky marketing isn't to my taste. 

Granted, it's fair enough that I have to pay, but to email me this "invite" and then require me to pay for the privilege is silly. Surely you'd be able to tell which guys had pledged and which hadn't.

I'm not sure I understand your concern, Marco.  Today they expanded the multiplayer alpha from the first 250,000 to the first 350,000 "Star Citizens", so I would guess you are counted amongst those first 350,000.  I'm 491,938 myself, so I'm eagerly awaiting my own copy of the email you received.

It's an invitation to fly against other human players.  If you haven't yet bought a ship, now that you have access to their multiplayer arena, the email seems to be encouraging you to consider buying a ship so you can use this new access.  

It looks like Star Citizen's multiplayer alpha is doing well - I just received my own Arena Commander Multiplayer invitation email.  All citizens now have access.

Let's see if I can carve out some time to actually fly my Hornet and Aurora!

Edited by Charlo

Turreted multi-crew ship live demo from gamescom around 52:40.

The Star Wars feeling is strong in this.

Ships are rubberbanding but they fixed that in Arena Commander so I expect this can be dealt with in whatever build they used for this demo. 

Edited by Calvamos

I hope they're able to pull the whole thing off. I also hope they address the transition from scripted character animations to player controlled, scripted looks so authentic while player controlled looks slidey and twitchy.   

If this actually works, it'll be the last great achievement of humanity, because after launch 98.6℅ of all males will be lost irrevocably.

• Upvote 1

my only hand up about star citizens aside form the cliche unimaginative and ultimately unrealistic ship designs is the fact that chris roberts looks like this guy:

:biggrin:

It's not that any particular aspect is ground-breakingly inventive, IMO, it's that it is a "dogfighting, space-trading, spaceship racing, FPS fighting (and getting blown away in 3rd person during dogfights), walk-around-your-ship-a-la-mass-effect spacefaring game" that potentially makes it awesome.

What I like the most is the potential for the scripted/unscripted character animation, especially in relation to other genres. In so many games your character just appears 'in' a vehicle, or 'out'. This game, as well as GTA V, include animations for characters entering and exiting vehicles. This single 'event', to me, adds realism. Hope to see it in more games in the future.  

What I like the most is the potential for the scripted/unscripted character animation, especially in relation to other genres. In so many games your character just appears 'in' a vehicle, or 'out'. This game, as well as GTA V, include animations for characters entering and exiting vehicles. This single 'event', to me, adds realism. Hope to see it in more games in the future.  

That engine is ALL about scripted animations... It can be fun for 2-3 times, but then they become boring and useless.

Every time I start watching a new SC video I'm always sure that there's some "new" scripted video. 

I repeat that they are amazing but I want to play the game, not staring at the screen waiting for the animation to end.

Edited by 6S.Manu

They did really shorten the "put on your helmet" animation in hangar/arena commander, so I think they are aware of that problem. 

Some interactions do take time IRL (like climbing up the ladder to a cockpit) so I think they are warranted in those cases. 

I wish they would make these kind of world object interactions variable in speed, similar to how walking/jogging/running is handled in other games. (i.e., One tap - climbs the ladder, two taps - sprints up the ladder, three - halls ass up the ladder.

Right now with just the hanger mod and no fps combat or planetside activities of course its going to feel scripted as there isn't much to do but when you can free roam and do all kinds of things its not like you're going to be spending all day getting in and out of your ship.

$400 USD for a simulated spaceship? That's too steep even for me. I'll stick with the cheaper and probably more fun:

Karthu-AI or Gladius

post-12904-0-70248600-1409183174_thumb.jpgpost-12904-0-48271000-1409183175_thumb.jpg

$400 USD for a simulated spaceship? That's too steep even for me. I'll stick with the cheaper and probably more fun:

Karthu-AI or Gladius

attachicon.gif6z0UkJy.jpgattachicon.gif1403605738419.jpg

Karthu looks like such a beast, was so close to getting one but I couldnt let go of my freelancer, or my M50 :( I'll just get it in game later down the line I think. 

Notice to SC owners: until friday, you can test drive all AC enabled ships. Note there're two unused nose gun hardpoints on the F7A. You can mount lasers from the other ships there. Can also stick a minigun on the 300i nose turret, etc.

Other updates: TrackIR is go and controls the gimballed/turreted weapons. Aiming those weapons by looking around is pretty cool.

Decoupled mode is now what you expect from a "flight assist off" in a space game, not the "safe landing mode" it was initially.

There are custom binds, still waiting for custom controller curves. 

Audio/visual immersion is generallly improved compared to initial launch.

How do you change the weapon loadouts? Do you do that on the holo table in game or the website?

TrackIR and my x52 pro are finally working in the last patch! I agree it is pretty cool aiming the gimble weapons with your head. I started custom binding some controls too to my HOTAS. Trying to get Elite and SC to have similar setups to make it easier.

How do you change the weapon loadouts? Do you do that on the holo table in game or the website?

Here are my notes about using the holotable for ship customization:
- Approach table until you get the "USE" reticle
- press "F" to intereact with the holotable
- press "TAB" to toggle mouse cursor & free look modes
- hold "Right mouse button" to pan around
- use "Left mouse button" to select, drag and drop

I think you have to grab the weapon on the holotable and place it on an appropriate hard point for that type of weapon.  In some cases you also have to grab and drop in appropriate ammo.  It's a bit of a pain to use and the sound effects are grating, too.  Also, I've mounted a weapon on my Hornet that causes Star Citizen to crash when I fire it, but that was a few weeks ago before the current version of Arena Commander.

Selecting English as your language in the launcher makes the UI errors go away, but now a new issue. In 1.0 my joystick axis aren't detected when calibrating. Oh well back to Elite :)

Mustang variants are free to try for anyone with current alpha access.

The ship dynamics in this game are much more involved than in Elite imho. When SC said they were going to model every maneuver thruster, its power and swivel speed & directional limits, I thought it was marketing BS. But they actually followed through.

For instance the Mustang doesn't have side-pointing thrusters, it uses differential thrusting with the forward & rear thrusters to yaw your ship around. It has weak downward-pointing thrusters and very strong upward thrusters.

So if you're flying towards an asteroid and just yaw to point the Mustang to one side, your crosshair will point to the side but you'll still be flying towards the asteroid.

(There's a flight path HUD marker similar to contemporary western jets). 

So you have to roll the ship around so the down- or upward (ideally the latter) thrusters can get to work, or flip the ship around to use your main thrusters.

The 300i on the other hand has side thrusters, but the maneuver thrusters are much weaker than the main thrusters, so you may still want to flip the ship around and make the main thrusters push you in your desired direction. 

The flight control system is deliberately imperfect and in the Mustang you really notice your thrusters kicking the ship around when trying to stabilize it on your desired flight path. 

SC still has artificially low ship speeds (way lower than speeds in I-War), but this is to avoid multiplayer lag madness.

Interestingly, ED and SC devs have quoted 500m/s as the maximum in-game speed you can have with today's technology and network infrastructure.

Edited by Calvamos

They did really shorten the "put on your helmet" animation in hangar/arena commander, so I think they are aware of that problem. 

Some interactions do take time IRL (like climbing up the ladder to a cockpit) so I think they are warranted in those cases. 

actually, putting on a helmet takes more time than climbing up a few steps on a ladder in real life. it's not something you just slap on

Edited by johncage

S!

Got myself a Conny. Looking forward to be able to fly it.

Zettman

Interesting news that the game is expected to run to 100+ Gb to download before its done.

Nice that you can actually land if free flight mode now, that sounds cool. Too bad I've been having trouble getting my x52 detected last few updates and setting up all my controls.

This does look amazing. I haven't played a non-flight sim game in years, but just yesterday I started on Mass Effect 2 (never played no 1). I'm hopeless at shooters (and flight sims, if we're being honest) but so far I am really enjoying the graphics and the universe the game has created. But the options in Star Citizen make this pale by comparison. 

I also did the whole Mass Effect universe and found it interesting and immersive at the time.

A departure from WW1&2 flight sims but did it as I like many others spent many days playing X-Wing etc many years ago and wanted to try out a 21st C space game.

Still that was light years away from the SC universe.

Expensive ships in SC though might be a limiting factor

Edited by Goanna1