TheEditor

Star Citizen

For those of you that remember what a space-sim is (Wing Commander, freelancer, X-Wing vs Tie Fighter) you need to check this out! It wouldn't be full on roll rates(full space sim) but it's not going to be a arcade game either.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/

$15,000,000 just off of croud funding!

It's still early days for this game, like BoS, but you take what you can get in the PC sim world.

www.youtube.com/embed/JrQ0qMRZ_1Q?list=PLVct2QDhDrB0QRjv9oN02f8mGsml8tcK9

Edited by TheEditor

I think I am in the beta, I signed up for it and I get emails all the time about.  I have fond memories of sleeping over at my friends house play Wing commander all night and all day (the one with Marc Hamil and the movie scenes!)  I logged into RSI Star Citizen and had to build a new account as they have moved.  It all looked nice but I couldn't tell what the heel was going on... 

I'll probably get into this. I'm a big space sim fan, loved the x wing and tie fighter series.

• Upvote 1

I'll probably get into this. I'm a big space sim fan, loved the x wing and tie fighter series.

+1 

This does look amazing. I haven't played a non-flight sim game in years, but just yesterday I started on Mass Effect 2 (never played no 1). I'm hopeless at shooters (and flight sims, if we're being honest) but so far I am really enjoying the graphics and the universe the game has created. But the options in Star Citizen make this pale by comparison. 

The old warrior who won 48 million dollars for development  , ensuring quality for buyers , fearless , shameless , a real life winner , and a  project to study the history of the game development. ... a truly winner of the real life ! think about it ,  break the rules.

Genius_zps3a50c6f0.jpg!

starting with nothing 
Only with good lines

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhsgiliheP0

50 dollars and are god in the project

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT5BD7AtaoA

Edited by Mustang

S!

Just lurk the forums and you see one of the worst fanboi community, ever. They worship Chris Roberts as a demigod and anyone daring to criticize the game is crucified instantly, even it would be well written and founded. No arguments against the game are tolerated. No thanks. I rather go with Elite:Dangerous.

I really hope this works out as intended. If it does, it'll be the game to end all games. It seems so ambitious that I wonder about it, but then aain, it is funded to the eyeballs, so if anything has a chance of succeeding, it'll be this.

In the interim, I foresee some Elite: Dangerous in my future.

I fell into the hype of star citizen, bought a ship (just one thankfully) because of how much good memories I have of elite on commodore 64 (I will get elite dangerous in the next beta phase)

I was so disappointed when the Arena Commander finally came out. Just was nothing like I had imagined. Things like they changed my fixed class 1 guns to gimbal auto aiming, because they said thats how it has to be when you have different weapon types. Meanwhile back in ww2 we had planes that had cannons, machine guns, rockets, bombs and they never need auto aim.

I'll give it another try when they put in keybinding for my flightstick and hopefully trackir support (instead of spending all their time on rift support)

The forums are terrible, people saying if you dont like it it's because the games too deep or difficult for you. I rarely post there anymore because of the white knights.

People were actually complaining that rudder pedals were yawing instead of rolliong, and I said yeah because that's how they always have been in planes why would be any different in space. Of course I got schooled by a bunch of rabid fanboys about how this is not a crappy ww2 sim it's space and in space rudders roll.

I really could rant for hours about that game. some people have spent 72,000 usd on ships. They recently released a little scout ship for 150 usd just showed concept art and pre render and they get a million dollars of sales. Must be really frustrating for other devs seeing that happen.

Star Citizen is a good showcase of new age marketing.

I am sure many lectures at college about marketing eventually trip on it.

Reminds me of the Camel brand. Pretty much the same idea.

People were actually complaining that rudder pedals were yawing instead of rolliong, and I said yeah because that's how they always have been in planes why would be any different in space.

To me, it's pretty normal that the pedals/twist-axis would cause the ship to roll. Atleast that's how i flew space games/"sims" since the first X-Wing or maybe even before that. Rolling is less necessary in space, because you don't need to initiate a turn like in a plane. But i can imagine the reaction of the guys on the forums. :biggrin:

I was thinking about buying one of the cheaper ships last year, but i stepped back from it and will wait for its final release (whenever that will be) and for reactions from non-biased people. I definately wish them success, but with every million $ more, i'm getting more doubtful how close this will ever get to justify those amounts and the hype.

I'm out of that. IMO They're spending too much on fluff and their marketing is really similar to the Apple's one. 

35$ for a mousepad? Are you serious?

Listening to the people at the AC presentation event I was like:

really.gif

Edited by 6S.Manu

People were actually complaining that rudder pedals were yawing instead of rolliong, and I said yeah because that's how they always have been in planes why would be any different in space.

Is this trying to be a space combat sim? If so, why would you have rudders to maneuver in space? Or are you talking about flying in a planet's atmosphere?

I think the rudderoids enable the dingledangle thruster shafts.

released a little scout ship for 150 usd

WTF ??  :huh:  

a single Ship ?  OMG !

You are kidding ... 

?

Seren77 help me please ..before I using my credit card

If I want to play the alpha and beta, and fly some Combats at  arena NOW . 
How much  money I need to spend?   :mellow:

About Rudder and FM  and more

The key thing to remember is that the Intelligent Flight Control System is just the interface between the physical simulation of the ship’s movement via its thrusters and the force they exert. It’s not the model.I see a lot of posts talking about the desire for “Newtonian” mode. The physics simulation is already a full Newtonian rigid body simulation. For what we are trying to achieve there will always need to be a fly by wire interface between the players input and the actual physics as no human can simultaneously direct eight thrusters simultaneously, specifying their thrust and attitude to achieve desired movement. Within the confines of physical reality the IFCS can do pretty much anything we want. The key is determining what we want the player’s input to map to.

Full source

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13951-Flight-Model-And-Input-Controls

For me sounds good .. but ...

150 USD for an single scout ..   :o: a maybe a single Battlecruiser for 1000 usd ? 

Edited by Mustang

Is this trying to be a space combat sim? If so, why would you have rudders to maneuver in space? Or are you talking about flying in a planet's atmosphere?

They are talking about rudder pedals not actual rudder control surfaces. The argument is about assigning pedals for Yaw or Roll axis motion via the RCS thrusters. Maybe a twist grip rudder would be more realistic in a space sim????

Combat and PVP will play a decent chunk of gameplay depending on the role you play. Even the pure trading ships have multiple heavy turrets and rockets etc.

When I say rudder pedals, I mean the pedals on the floor in the spaceship that are put there to replicate Aircraft controls. Space ship is obviously fly by wire and has an IFCS. So when you press the left rudder pedal it calculates how much thrust and and degree of angle to put on it's 8 gimballed thrusters to achieve a yaw movement that replicates a rudder on an aircraft.

The game will have atmospheric flight also.

Mustang the idris capitol ships were sold for 250,000 usd each, the org I'm in has 2 of them. As far as Newtonian mode goes some people find the current flight modes limiting. Although it's space the regular IFCS setting does not allow strafing or vertical strafing. In decoupled mode (closest they allow to manual control) pitch roll is disabled, main engine is disabled and the IFCS will stop any rotation of the ship with no stick inputs. The only inertia allowed is current trajectory which is not allowed to be altered.

Although you would need 8 hotas to manually fly in newtonian there is certainly room for a less automated system than 'decoupled' mode. Things like forced engine disabling, roll disabling and inertia damping in decoupled mode is a bit unnecessary IMO.

Alpha access is over although you can buy beta access and a pass to try the dog fight module. I paid $40 for alpha access with a basic starter ship.

Seren77 thank you very much for your explanation.  ;)  Really

The org I'm in has 2 of them.

My English is very bad, my understanding reaches only 75% to 85%  of the 100 %

Your are saying.... a single capitol ship were sold for 250,000 usd ?   :wacko: 

Sounds like madness..  a game fully pay to win ?

I'm very curious....

Edited by Mustang

Seren77 thank you very much for your explanation.  ;)  Really

My English is very bad, my understanding reaches only 75% to 85%  of the 100 %

Your are saying.... a single capitol ship were sold for 250,000 usd ?   :wacko: 

Sounds like madness..  a game fully pay to win ?

I'm very curious....

yes I'm saying people paid that much for a ship ( a very large ship but a ship )

the thing is, it is not really pay to win because you can earn them just by playing pretty easily.

this ship the constellation, which I think has a crew of 5 is 225 usd https://robertsspaceindustries.com/store/90-rsi-constellation

it will take an average player 2 weeks to get this ship just from playing.

So I'd rather just wait, and earn it in game. I understand people like to give devs money so don't mind paying early, but they have almost 50 million dollars now, they don't need more money.

The Idris Corvettes...since upgraded to frigates, sold in very limited numbers for US 1,300. They have a crew of 11-ish and can carry 3 Hornet F7 fighters. I had a chance last year to buy one but just couldn't convince my wallet it would be worth it.

It's not pay to win as any ship sold now can be gotten ingame with ingame credits,

Decent fighters at this point are the 325a for US 80, Avenger isn't out yet but should be a good fighter, US 75, the Hornet F7C for US 125.

They still have a ton of teething problems...but this is one of the few games in a long time that is pushing the technical limit of PC's. Not too bad so far, all things considering.

Am I hearing that right. A quarter of a million dollars was paid (twice!) for some spaceships in a video game? Preordered too I would imagine. That seems grotesquely obscene. Imagine the lives you could have saved with that money.

• Upvote 1

There is at least one good reason to stay away... Although I don't think I will be taking my own advice, but I will try to wait until it's actually released before putting any money in it.

The Idris Corvettes...since upgraded to frigates, sold in very limited numbers for US 1,300. They have a crew of 11-ish and can carry 3 Hornet F7 fighters. I had a chance last year to buy one but just couldn't convince my wallet it would be worth it.

It's not pay to win as any ship sold now can be gotten ingame with ingame credits,

Decent fighters at this point are the 325a for US 80, Avenger isn't out yet but should be a good fighter, US 75, the Hornet F7C for US 125.

They still have a ton of teething problems...but this is one of the few games in a long time that is pushing the technical limit of PC's. Not too bad so far, all things considering.

The article I found the price on kept saying 250k. perhaps it was the total

http://www.gameskinny.com/mdrty/200-imaginary-spaceships-sold-for-a-real-250000-in-star-citizen-24-hour-livestream-event

Combat and PVP will play a decent chunk of gameplay depending on the role you play. Even the pure trading ships have multiple heavy turrets and rockets etc.

A rumor said there would be an harsh matchmaking, so that some kind of ship are going to encounter ship of the same class. Is it true?

A rumor said there would be an harsh matchmaking, so that some kind of ship are going to encounter ship of the same class. Is it true?

I believe there will be some skill based matchmaking in Arena Commander (dogfight module) but none in the main game. Though some ships are built more for transport or stealth and give smaller signatures so they will be harder to detect. It should all work out but of course it's are just spin and theory at this point 

Am I hearing that right. A quarter of a million dollars was paid (twice!) for some spaceships in a video game? Preordered too I would imagine. That seems grotesquely obscene. Imagine the lives you could have saved with that money.

No, that is untrue.

The article I found the price on kept saying 250k. perhaps it was the total

http://www.gameskinny.com/mdrty/200-imaginary-spaceships-sold-for-a-real-250000-in-star-citizen-24-hour-livestream-event

250k for 200 ships. Yes. Article hould have been 260k. 1300 per ship. They sold 2 batches of 100 ships...and they sold out in minutes each time. It was kind of unreal to watch.

Edited by [JG54]Vyper

It looks to me as if much of the funds raised have been used on the pie budget.

I think the rudderoids enable the dingledangle thruster shafts.

Really? I was given to understand they operated the Fuvu Valves that engage the port and starboard Gimbal Ratchets.

Agree on the pie budget though :lol:

Its way to expensive for an arcade game. They cant and it doesnt simulate space travel at all, if it was a correct space simulator the ships would look like a rolled up porcupine and each spike would be a thruster. Yes but they say it is a simulator buy a ship for $120us and then $30us for a mouse pad and then some other crap for a further $50us, and it will fly just like your ME109 without the rudder???  :huh:  

Its way to expensive for an arcade game. They cant and it doesnt simulate space travel at all, if it was a correct space simulator the ships would look like a rolled up porcupine and each spike would be a thruster. Yes but they say it is a simulator buy a ship for $120us and then $30us for a mouse pad and then some other crap for a further $50us, and it will fly just like your ME109 without the rudder???  :huh:  

Not sure if they are selling it as a space simulator or why a simulator has to be more expensive than an arcade game.

In any case, you can get into Star Citizen currently for $30, which i consider pretty cheap. Noone is forcing you to buy one of the bigger ships or the mousepad.