Sign in to follow this  
Finkeren

Another bit of "finger painting"

I've been toying around a bit more with my daughters iPad and the simple easy-to-use drawing program called 'Procreate'. It's a great little program for drawing, provided you like to draw everything by hand (very few fancy image editing features and only four layers to work with). I thought I'd share this one.

It's an old favourite of mine. What I consider to be the most beautiful piston engined fighter aircraft ever, the MiG-3, seen here in a late production variant over Moscow in early 1942:

post-13181-0-09257000-1407068046_thumb.jpg

Edited by Finkeren
  • Upvote 1

I dunno. 'Round 5 - 6 hours total, I guess. I've just worked on it in my spare time 15 - 20 mins at a time over a period of 2 weeks.

Not enough rivets man! For shame!

No but seriously, I wish I could draw like that. Getting the perspective right is really tricky.

• Upvote 1

Not enough rivets man! For shame!

Actually, this time I referenced a technical drawing, so the number of rivets should be (mostly) correct ;)

The thing I'm most in doubt about is the radio equipment behind the pilots seat. This is drawn from a single photo from a crashed MiG that supposedly shows the late type radio.

I have another one in the works. This time centered around the Pe-2, but I need a bit of reference.

Does anyone have a good aerial photo of a large number of tanks advancing across open plains? I have a hard time visualising how it looks from above with the dust clouds and just how much you'd be able to see from altitude.

It doesn't have to be WW2, as long as it shows tank collumns advancing over grass in dry weather.

They're not really aerial per se, but the best I could find. All from Kursk.

battle-of-kursk-pictures-ww2-001.jpg

bulgeone.jpg

• Upvote 1

That's very nice! 

On a separate but somewhat related note I recently saw some paintings that are labeled "digital art". Apparently the artists take bits from different sources, such as flight sims and RW photos, and stitch them together with the help of a tool. Might be a good approach to getting some wall paintings without having to pay a fortune...

• Upvote 1

That's kinda what Roen911 does, if I'm not mistaken. He used to make really awesome stuff based on RoF (far, far exceeding anything I'll ever be able to do) but has only made a few BoS related pics.

Personally I like to draw everything from scratch, but then again, I'm not trying to make a living. I definately don't hold it against people who patch things together to create unique works of art.

They're not really aerial per se, but the best I could find. All from Kursk.

battle-of-kursk-pictures-ww2-001.jpg

bulgeone.jpg

Thanks. Not exactly what I was looking for, but the first photo gives a clear indication of the tanks being quite visible as dark shadows on one side. That's definately valuable input.

Thank you.

• Upvote 1

Maybe this part of the 1970's movie 'Battle of Kursk' will inspire you.