Sign in to follow this  
BlackSix

Developer Diary, Part 74

Hi Everybody!

Congratulations with the last month of summer and the final stage of BOS development. The end of July was far not simple but first things first.

First of all, our press-trip that lasted for 2 weeks is finally over. Our goal was to show the game to the US and European media, and everything went quite well. If you’re wondering how interested the modern gaming media is in flight sims, check out the Press about us section here. I personally would like to mention the EU presentation in Prague where we were lucky to meet some folks from the community, which was possibly the best part of the trip.

Secondly, we’ve released Fw 190 A-3 for early access. A great plane that raised great disputes. Today’s update contains some fixes in regards of Focke-Wulf’s damage model and its 3D model. We’ve worked at the compromise solution that had been proposed earlier this week, and we hope that this new approach to the windscreen implementation would be more commonly accepted.

Thirdly, ILYA Muromets was sent to early access and added to the digital store yesterday. As we’ve said before, this project is important for us because it’s our very first experience of working on a title devoted to one of the fathers of modern aviation which Igor Sikorsky was. .And also it’s a wonderful chance for a technological experiment (mouse control in particular) that we wouldn’t risk to start in a larger sim project.

And we keep on working on the Historical campaign mode - currently it has the top priority in development - and on He 111, the German bomber. You’ll see a couple of screenshots with it below the text. Have a nice weekend and enjoy your flights!

post-7693-0-90497200-1406899237_thumb.jp        post-7693-0-66889000-1406899244_thumb.jp        post-7693-0-33198700-1406899249_thumb.jp

Full news

You're very welcome to subscribe for new videos here

You can ask new questions in this thread

• Upvote 5

Never cared much about the Heinkel but after these pictures that might change

Good news!!

Edited by saurer

Nice to hear that you've adressed our suggestions!

Cant wait for the update, oh and the He111 looks great, hope it will be very hard to master in terms of realism :)

Im a bomber finatic so i cant wait to get a high alt level bombing mission in! Ty guys your doing some great work. Im looking forward to running a server in this game.

• Upvote 1

Thank you! The He 111 looking awesome! Nice weekend for all :)

Great communication on this guys and thanks for all the great work! 

Thanks for the update. The HE looks beautiful.

Cannot wait to see how the windshield problem has been fixed (Screenshot maybe?).

A Question: Will the fix be applied to other planes with fat panzerglass windscreens too in the future or will the FW remain the only one?

Edited by VSG1_Winger

Good news all around.

Edit: Probably only the 190 gets the compromise solution. Most of the planes could benefit some (La-5 is the second biggest sufferer), but the 190 is really crippled by lack of a refraction on a level none of the others even approach. I'm eager to see what is being done with it even though I'm not one of the major complainers about it.

Edited by =LD=King_Hrothgar

Nice to hear about the HE! and looks like you gonna end the discussion about the damm windshield already  :P

Nice to hear you did something with the 190... but I'd like to see the changes :)

I hope it's not just a thinner wind shield, but also a corrected lower instrument panel which much more important IMHO as it is definately wrong while the wind shield was correct but without refraction modelled.

• Upvote 2

Thank you for new update.

I hope you guys look into FW190's lower dashboard without gap issue later.

(like after release of BoS, I think it's not a major issue for know since you guys already addressed bar issue)

Nice Heinkel!

Thanks for making our Fridays almost like Christmas!

Happy flying, folks!

Great to hear about He-111! :cool:

I found original Fw-190 cockpit was already very good and I could personnaly cope with the bar compromise you initially proposed.

But the nicest bit of this DD#74 is that you've shown - once again - your great customer/community oriented attitude by proposing a 3D fix for the wulf cockpit in a week time!

Thumbs up guys! ;)

• Upvote 1

Splendid!!  I Love the Heinkel and many thanks for looking after the FW 190! Simply outstanding! You truely rule!!  :salute:

Thanks, Developers, for another "Fabulous Friday"!

This weekend will be split between the Fw190 and the Ilya Muromets (busy downloading)!

The He looks magnificent, as well.

Nice to see He-111 (officially) in the sim!

Im ready to download Friday Update :].

That Heinkel looks an ugly beast ---- can't wait to fly it. :P  

I wouldnt even call it a compromise since you are going to "simulate" refraction by making thinner bars.

Well, this would be correct for one single position of the pilot's head/eyes, but we have 6DOF and thousands of positions where it's wrong again :biggrin:

And yet modeling refraction would help all planes, whether it's the 190, the 109G or the La-5 or even the Il-2. Zak said their engine could do it... so why not just add the option to enable it so we can test if it runs smooth enough or not? I bet there are enough people here who would rather remove their 8xAA and such to activate refraction filters and keep their performance up. The only problem would be, of course, that users with weak hardware can't enable it and therefore have disadvantages... but well, anyone without TrackIR, rudder pedals or whatever has disadvantages over those who have that stuff.

• Upvote 1

Well, this would be correct for one single position of the pilot's head/eyes, but we have 6DOF and thousands of positions where it's wrong again :biggrin:

And yet modeling refraction would help all planes, whether it's the 190, the 109G or the La-5 or even the Il-2. Zak said their engine could do it... so why not just add the option to enable it so we can test if it runs smooth enough or not? I bet there are enough people here who would rather remove their 8xAA and such to activate refraction filters and keep their performance up. The only problem would be, of course, that users with weak hardware can't enable it and therefore have disadvantages... but well, anyone without TrackIR, rudder pedals or whatever has disadvantages over those who have that stuff.

Its not part of their developmentplan and I am sure they evaluated if it was worth the effort. At least for now the decision seems to be that its not. Wich i can understand. Who knows maybe something like that will come later after release.

• Upvote 2

I would not give up AA for refraction modeling. Sorry bud. Lets just see how this panes out (see what i did there?)

• Upvote 3

woot a twin big bomber . ..  hope it can have the 2K kg bombs or that option for 50 or 100 50 kg bomblets . . . and torpedos (ok i'm getting ahead of my self).

I like the swastika-ish symbol they have in there. I know the historical ninjas will cry foul, but I'd rather have to the game sold in more countries w/ out it and make $$ to get to a level where teatro de pacifico can be drunk or some MiG ally action . . .  Wondering if the could have it but maybe squared (not tipped so its like a diamond). 

thanks for the update and the fix. for the refraction thing, I'd rather the devs implement more important and pressing features like tweaking AI, ground stuffs, infantry, lady pilots, weather / climate, more maps . . . 

more planes, trains, and automobiles

Edited by hiro

@devs

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

!!!!Other devs. should learn a bit from your dedication!!!!  

cu above Stalingrad :salute:

Edited by =JG52=fldrms

Sounds like the Press Junket was a success, so Congratulations for that. Also Thanks for the prompt response to the Communities concerns regarding the issues with the FW 190. 

I would not give up AA for refraction modeling. Sorry bud. Lets just see how this panes out (see what i did there?)

You are a WordSmith.

Good news! Great Heinkel pics and I'm very eager to get to see the new 190 Cockpit! :)

Edit: To bad cockpit isn't that different form the prveious one, perosnally I've expected some more (and I'm confident you're able to implement it) :huh:

Aside I find the new Fw 190 FM very disturbing due to it's excessive tail heavyness and very sensetive elevator. Don't know why you changed it but I felt serious differences in trim and stall behaviour since this update.

Edited by [Jg26]5tuka

Whaaw Friday update already patched on my rig, thx gals & guys;

Nice pics on that final beast!

Have very nice weekend and enjoy the summer time.

Edited by West

Well, Its okay what you did devs, but still the cockpit has too much too big errors when compared to the real ones... +1 for the good will and effort but for me its not pleasing.

• Upvote 1

so quick! OMG, just Downloading Ilya Muromets, I can´t handle all this stuff simultanously!! :lol: