Where do you come from - Il-2 or RoF?

951 members have voted

1. 1. Before joining this community, which other combat flight sim game did you play the most?

• Mainly/Solely Il-2 Sturmovik / CloD
    • Mainly/Solely RoF
    • Il-2 and RoF to about the same extend
    • Other / None / New

I never really got into RoF because of how difficult it was. I Never played IL-2 because when it came out i was always deployed or training while in the US military so i never really had time. I do spend a lot of time these days in DCS, War Thunder, and Falcon 4 BMS

• 2 weeks later...

love them both. Flew IL2 for.. well thanks to DCG.. flew IL2 for almost forever.  I did extensive campaign creation with DCG... probably 100 dynamic campaigns covering all theaters and eras.

I love RoF for what it is.... but the lack of a real ground war going on beneath you...it just didnt get as much flight time on my machine as IL2

IL2 with the addition of DCG and SEOW... made it soooo addictive.

I can only pray the new IL2 will follow in those footsteps with theaters/maps/aircraft

and someone will put in the time to create a contemporary to DCG and SEOW (something Id gladly PAY for)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First real flight sim I played was SU-27 Flanker

In the early years =EAW +Jane's WWII fighters+CFS1(I didn't like 2)

Played Il-2 since 2002

Stopped playing IL-2 1946 with mods.

Cliffs of Dover only now FR.

I am surprised no one mentioned SU-27 Flanker.

I really liked it when it came out nothing then came close to

it as a Air combat sim then and it was available here in 1996

Su-27_Flanker_Coverart.jpg

Edited by WTornado
  • 4 weeks later...

Great post.

Commodore Six Four Baby...Gunship and F117

Bought my first PC in 1998 and experienced the 2nd golden age of flight sims with Janes WWII and MSCFS.

Played IL-2 demo on my then aged PC. I remember thinking a game about an russian attack plane? Whatever. Free demo and by the end of the day I was ordering parts for a new PC I couldn't afford. I then played IL-2 through every version and then mods. Loved the SP experience and FMB.

I have fiddled around with DCS titles, ROF and been disappointed by CLOD.

And now I can't wait for this game. Its looking great so far.

hi all i played from the day the plane was a black cross. and a bullet a square box , well then ubisoft come along with sturmovik/ no one had ever seen a sim like it,went stright to gold,i still think that the guns sound great. and the flying to. it just got better and better we got forgotting battles,the game really went to town,we had ubi server every room full big dog fights, with some real pilots around, it was just heaven it was at the time working men could just afford a pc ,then the patches.  aces pf  1946  well and it still gets play full marks to all . 

A2 FS1, FS2, Spitfire 40, Ace of Aces, Dam Busters, BoB, SWOTLW, Aces of the pacific, FS95,1942 The pacific Air War, FS98 Fleet defender, FS2000, Flanker 2, FS2002, CFS, IL2, IL2 FB, FS2004, IL2 Pacific fighters, IL2 1946, LOMAC, FSX, DCS FC, IL2 CoD, IL2 BoS.

Everything began here... :o:

A2-FS1_blue.giffs1-apple-anim1.gif

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I kept coming across BoS, over at the DCSW forums.  I love WWII A/C, so I took a chance on this sim.  Glad I did, it's great.  Also, I ended up getting IL-2 CoD, and then applied the TF mods, that's also a cool sim.

For me it's MsCFS 2 -> War Thunder (3 years of extensive squadrom flying there) -> RoF (still enjoying and crashing a lot :biggrin:  ) -> IL-2 BoS.

I'm rather young blood in the flight comunity but I'm glad I found my way here to BoS just like all veterans!

• 2 weeks later...

S!

Owa....great old stuff

I don't remember, but i think i starded with:

Air_Warrior_II_Coverart.jpg

But played almost every crap already mentioned

Nice to see mentions of F-15 eagle and also Flanker....those were great

Another old stuffs up to mind: black knight, back to bagda, comanche,  IF-22 bosnia (Great!!), jet figher: full burn, simcopter, red baron 3d, flying corps, flight unlimited, a-10 Cuba, F-117, a-10 tank killer, red baron..... :lol:

• 5 weeks later...

Rise of Flight and an occasional dabble in IL-2 1946.  However, it was the 777/RoF connection that made my buddies and I jump on this without a second thought.  Had it not been, we'd have likely waited for a sale or something. 

• 2 weeks later...

Il-2 FB was the first flight sim I purchased as an adult and has always been my favorite (still is until I can get my wife to agree to buying BoS lol). I love the setup of the old Il-2 where you can just choose a plane and create a quick mission and go. I have work and a family so I get very little time to unwind on my flight sims. I started playing War Thunder because it was free and has great graphics but I despise the way you have to go through endless arcade battles to earn points to get your aircraft running and armed properly or to get another aircraft. I simply don't have the time to spend on it so I can guarantee I will never have a top tier plane in WT. I also have DCS World and Black Shark. Those also have amazing graphics and realism but the modern aircraft have so many detailed systems that I really don't have time to learn to use them properly. So I find myself still coming back to my good old Il-2 FB when I want to jump into a cockpit and fly a quick mission or two. I really hope BoS has a similar option and isn't made solely for online multiplayer.

Oh and lets not forget the childhood flight sims my parents got for me! Super Huey II, Comanche III, and my childhood favorite 1942: The Pacific Air War.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/e0x9gIe--48/maxresdefault.jpg

http://simhq.com/forum/files/usergals/2011/04/full-12102-11280-comanche_gold_custom_mission6_counterstrike.avi_000154000.jpg

http://www-w6yx.stanford.edu/~paulf/fs/hornet.gif

Edited by possumkiller
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...