Caveman

New Trailer Comments

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXQc1lHlBDA

There is another thread that has some comments but I'm surprised there aren't more specifically related to this trailer.  Obviously, there is some post processing of the graphics, but I do believe the graphics are so good already that it's not a misrepresentation... Especially when one considers how the sim will look 5 years from now...  Remembering that the original IL-2 version was a mere shadow of the "finished" product 5 years later...

So what did you like about the video?  Overall, I'd say whosever in charge of their marketing department knows their stuff...  Both this trailer and the original were top notch with great visuals, sound, and music. 

There were so may things to like -- so many details I saw when I slowed down to look.  I really do hope they are able to implement ground based humans into the sim at some point.  It just looks so awesome to see people walkign around... If the original IL-2 did it over a decade ago, I'm sure 777 has it planned...  One would think the people graphics shown in the video already exist.

And how about the snow?  It appears very well done in the video - I hope we can see that in the future.  The snow piled up around the runways, taxiways, roads, etc. looked "real", if not a touch too "nice and neat"...  And the way it "fell" and the way it blew around on the runways in thin wisps...  Very nice.  Of course the smoke was incredible but it's easy to see why it would be a resource hog.

Really hope much of what we are seeing finds its way into the sim - I think it eventually will...

Im kind of unimpressed because they once again do not show the game's true representation. They used ANOTHER CGI trailer and not in-game footage.

The first trailer was good, I liked it, the second is just is good, props to the chap who made it, but I'm inclined to agree that we should be seeing some of the real game. RoF has some of the finest trailers ever made and they are all in game footage. It's almost as if 777 is ashamed of their graphics or something (which they shouldn't!)

Anyway, ignore me, I just like a nice trailer, so that one made me happy.

It's because that is a marketing video. It is not a gameplay video. Every other game does that, they have the cinematic videos that make it look all flowy and real and "holy crap!" to draw interest and then there are the gameplay videos which show how the title actually runs on the engine. There is a lack of gameplay videos to promote this simply because it isn't ready for gameplay footage. Gameplay footage to show how the product is has always been done when the title is very close to Release Candidate Final, or "Gold" as it once was called. Showing gameplay footage now is still not representative of what the final title will be. No point in getting all bent out of shape over cinematic videos that are supposed to simply drum up interest, every single game does that.

Edited by FuriousMeow
  • Upvote 1

It's because that is a marketing video. It is not a gameplay video. Every other game does that, they have the cinematic videos that make it look all flowy and real and "holy crap!" to draw interest and then there are the gameplay videos which show how the title actually runs on the engine. There is a lack of gameplay videos to promote this simply because it isn't ready for gameplay footage. Gameplay footage to show how the product is has always been done on an official release when the title is very close to Release Candidate Final, or "Gold" as it once was called. Showing gameplay footage now is still not representative of what the final title will be. No point in getting all bent out of shape over cinematic videos that are supposed to simply drum up interest, every single game does that.

Ok i understand now. BTW i never said i didnt like it its just that its somewhat underwhelming after the amazing ROF and BOS fan trailers that people have made.

Ok i understand now. BTW i never said i didnt like it its just that its somewhat underwhelming after the amazing ROF and BOS fan trailers that people have made.

I apologize, I wasn't directing my statement at you. There were comments about this video in another topic, which I am fairly certain will end up here, and my response was more tailored to some of those posts than yours as there were quite a few angsty individuals concerning the video.

Edited by FuriousMeow

I liked the trailer. I understand that its more about the sizzle than the actual steak though.

One element that I would very much like to see however is the huge numbers of figures on the landscape.

It is a cool trailer.

Somehow I enjoy way more the original one. Gives me more insight of what the game is. This one could be anything related to a RTS in WW2 but also BoS of course. 

I think the trailer represents the game plus the imagination of some potential customers...but not, unfortunately, all of them!

I want legs, arms and hands in the game. :)

That's what the concern was! People will wonder why they can't!

I think it's a great trailer but it suggests things are available which aren't. Like others, I think that using real in-game footage and actually saying that it is in-game footage would be pretty impressive.

I never wanted legs or arms in game but actually I thought that looked rather good. I wouldn't want them to press buttons etc (in the way) but I thought the hands on the stick looked better than I imagined.

Edited by =38=Tatarenko

Looks nothing like the game I am playing.That trailer is a 100% misrepresentation of the game. Show me one piece in that trailer that looks anything like what we are playing now. :huh:

Guys, it's just another "Cinematic" trailer.   :huh::unsure:

There's tons of CG trailers out there.

Some examples for you.

And people likes to watch it because it looks freakin Awesome!  :cool:

Edited by resmania

In the sense that it could equally be a marketing trailer for the original Il2? ;)

OK. "Mere sales puff".

I just hope the developers don't end up with a load of posts along the lines of "I bought the game after seeing the trailer and I don't have my pilot's body inside the plane" etc. etc.

Looks nothing like the game I am playing.That trailer is a 100% misrepresentation of the game. Show me one piece in that trailer that looks anything like what we are playing now. :huh:

Congratulations!

Besides, I really like the overall colour grading used in this trailer.

It's only a minor observation since I think they've done a fantastic job so far, but I do hope these guys lose their worries of doing a little more deeper shadows, as far as the in-game picture goes.

Edited by Picchio

Yes, we all know the game is post processed but to say "CGI" may be a bit of a stretch...  The point here is that the sim is so good already, that theres not that much difference between what the trailer has and one of the better made movies by the moviemakers in the community - knowing how to edit makes a huge difference...  The trailer is basically the "sim on steroids", and I believe the next 5 years will show a boost to the sim to get it closer to the trailer...  Like someone else said, "I'm not one who cares if they show the pilot inside"...  I agree, I'd rather not see it...  Though if it was implemented like in the trailer, I can see myself not being put off by it and might even turn on the option...  Otherwise, that effect looks gimicky and out of place in a real simulator...

The snow effect was very well done - I think the team can get there.  Both the way it fell and the way it blew around on the runways (as seen from the top view)...  They should be able to implment this.

How about "snowbanks"?  That doesn't seem terribly hard to make happen - perhaps its a limitation of the 3D mesh though so maybe it wont happen...  If they do implement, it needs to be a bit less "uniform"...

Clouds?  They are great in the sim now and I can see them being constantly improved to look similar to the video...

The humans running around - I can see them implementing a simplified version...  IL-2 did it more than a decade ago - anyone else think the team will put it in the sim?

Populated airfields - I think that will simply come in time and the sim matures.

Any other observations on the graphics that can be morphed into the current game...  No doubt the programmers/artists have a great goal to shoot for by just watching the video...

I'd love to see one of the talented movie makers in the community replicate the Trailers with in-game footage now, 1 year from now, and 5 years from now.  I suspect we'd see a concergence in the future.  Anyone agree?

Edited by Caveman

The use of a CGI or Cinematic trailer is standard in this industry. They were not made for the folks who already visit our forum, they were made to stoke the imagination of those that don't typically play these types of games. There is no misrepresentation going on.

Jason

• Upvote 7