BlackSix

Thread to gather your suggestions

Type of improvement: Gameplay

Explanation of proposals: At the moment I cannot hear when my plane is being hit and I find it pretty annoying because all of a sudden your plane just falls into parts or gets caught on fire. I would like to get more sound when your plane gets hit and also when the bullets are near you. So louder noises when your plane gets hit and when the bullets are near you.

Benefits: I belive that this would increase realism and immersion to the game.

Type of improvement: Gameplay, Graphics

Explanation of proposals:  allow the pilot to wear sunglasses or move his hands in front of his eyes. If sunglasses is implemented, allow different glass colour and contrast

Benefits: reduce the excessive sunglare

Type of improvement: Control, Interface
Explanation of proposals: allow scrolling and zooming the map with keys (and not only mouse)
Benefits: alternative way to operate the map, scrolling and zooming functions would be more easily assigned to a HOTAS

Improvement type: Reward paragraph Pilots

Tip: Advances in hierarchical carries when pilots complete a certain number of missions. (2nd Lieutenant, 1st Lieutenant, Captain, Major, Lieutenant Colonel, Colonel ...)

Benefits: Another way to excite riders.

Edited by Noe

Type of improvement:  Interface, Gamplay
Explanation of proposals: Add simple career interface to campaign mission generator, separate from campaign interface. Assign historical squadrons to airfields available in campaign; add elements of pilots history / ranks/ awards (de-Nazified 1957 ones for Germans) / log / timekeeping (matching historical periods with BoS campaign chapter maps) / pilots health recovery. Use available campaign missions from appropriate airfield, using appropriate plane type, for actual gameplay. Make the career separate main menu entry from campaign to avoid confusion, but keep all campaign benefits of mission results (flying a mission gives experience towards plane unlock and pilot levels, completing missions counts towards unlocking new airfields in corresponding campaign chapter and completion of a chapter). 
Benefits: adds a missing feature and addresses a popular complaint about campaign without re-working the mission generating part and compromising the campaign/unlocks framework.

Type of improvement: Game Play/Immersion

Explanation of proposals: Add statistics after finishing a quick mission (types and numbers of targets destroyed, pilot/plane status...) - as in RoF.

Benefits: Immersion.

• Upvote 2

Type of improvement: Game Play/Immersion

Explanation of proposals: Two separate player profiles - one Russian and one German - as promissed in DD21

Benefits: Immersion.

• Upvote 2

Type of improvement: Gameplay / Control.

Explanation of proposals: After seeing that I survived following an emergency/crash landing I would like to be able to jump out of the cockpit, without ejecting and not watch how I burn in flames caused by my airplane motor. It is very very frustrating to watch and cannot do anything!

Benefits: The same thing that you could do in 1946, where you pressed the bail-out button and the pilot jumped out of the plane and took cover by jumping to the ground. Seeing as the pilot would survive it give you wings to fly back to strike with more trust and force.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPofR1nsPY8

• Upvote 1

Type of improvement: Graphics
Explanation of proposals: Remove the yellow/orange tint to exploding steam engines, make the explosion pure white. A steam engine blowing up does so due to the boiler rupturing and steam escaping. The cloud escaping is pure steam, not fire. The super heated water in a boiler can cause en explosion about 1/10th of the similar weight in TNT (e.g. 10 tons of superheated water will produce a blast equivalent to one ton of TNT). A steam engine will explode when the boiler fails, but it is a "cold" explosion (well, at least not glowing hot).
Benefits: Immersion

• Upvote 2

When bailing out from crewed aircraft, maybe make it so that the gunners, navigators, etc. all jump out before the player pilot, so you can sort of get the immersion of keeping the plane level to allow the crew to bail out safely (instead of having the pilot jump first and let the crew try their luck bailing out from an out of control plane)?

• Upvote 1

Type of improvement: controls for twin engine

Explanation of proposals: Add a propellers feathering key for engine one and engine two instead of only one key for both engines.

Benefits: Improve multi trottles joystik management, by reducing pitch to feathering position with the proper "blue handle" command 

Edited by UFBack

Thank you guys! I've gathered your suggestions and created list which I'll send to my bosses. Next time I'll gather the suggestions approximately in the middle of the fall.

• Upvote 1

Type of improvement: Control

Explanation of proposals: Would love to see  the ability to bind leaning the pilot left/right to an axis ( currently only possible to bind to a key)

Benefits: This would help players that have an free axis on their sticks (e.g.  joystick twist axis when you have pedals for the rudder) to get better and more fluid target tracking ability when they do not have head tracking hardware.

Type of improvement: Add coop missions

Explanation of proposals: We urgently need classic IL-2 Sturmovik style COOP Missions!!!

Benefits: There always was something special about all those coop missions flown in IL-2 Sturmovik and Forgotten Battles. Every Pilot has just ONE life and ONE aircraft. It was a completely different feeling than on those stupid dogfight servers where anyone could respawn anytime. One was more careful, and it was possible to win over "air superiority" by decimating opposition....so there realy was a feeling of fighting for a result, whereas on current BoS Dogfight Servers, there is not even a proper scoring system at hand...we NEED COOP!!

• Upvote 1

Type of improvement: Quick Mission Builder

Explanation of proposals: Provide the possibility of setting up a multi-aircraft flight mission without any enemy aircraft.

Benefits: Currently the QMB can not be used to set up a pure ground attack mission with a flight of friendly aircraft and no enemy aircraft. We can either use the single aircraft option OR we can use the opposing flights option, but this MUST include at least one enemy aircraft. If we want to set up a purely ground attack option with, say, a flight of sturmoviks we can not do it. The single enemy AI will mess up the friendly AI and the whole situation turns into a furball. Sometimes that is what you want...but would be nice to have the option to practise ground attack without enemy aircraft. 

Edited by kendo
  • Upvote 1

Type of improvement: Quick Mission Builder

Explanation of proposals: Increased and/or randomised AA coverage on the QMB maps.

Benefits: Currently the only place with AA is ALWAYS the airfield. This is predictable and frankly dull.

Please consider expanding the number of AA guns to more places on the map. Certainly around the front lines / Stalingrad city and around enemy troop/vehicle concentrations, but even a randomised and unpredictable placement would be an improvement on current situation.

• Upvote 1

Type of improvement: Graphics
Explanation of proposals: show effects for all bullet impacts on ground, at least in High and Ultra pre-sets, or as a switchable option/ini setting (currently only the first impacts of every burst are shown)
Benefits: improved visuals and immersion; performance is really good on high-end PCs even in Ultra mode, so a small FPS impact would be acceptable (even more if it's an option).

Type of improvement: Gameplay / Immersion
Explanation of proposals: Dynamic campaign singleplayer and multiplayer: A battle can last for days / weeks. Airfields who gets totally bombed is out of order and no-one can spawn there until re-supplied by HE-111 etc. 

Options to make game 100 % realistic: No HUD / icons allowed whatsover, both in game and on map.

Benefits: Fun for the hardcore simmers out there. Might make the game last longer in the future.

Type of improvement: Making the Runways more visible.

Explanation of improvement: Since the recent improvement to the snow/ ground textures it has become Very difficult to see the runways. They need to be darker and/or the edges need to be much more defined. One suggestion would be muddy or dirty tire tracks.

Benefits Being able to see a snow covered runway against a snowy landscape.

• Upvote 4

Hi devs, i have a question, tip perhaps. 

1) I do not have pedals. So when i want use full yaw to right or left i must holding "y" or "x" button for some time. it is very insensitive and time-consuming.

Is there any way for mapping key to FULL YAW left or right, not only in just a few degrees.

In the same way it was done in the previous IL2 COD - I pressed the "y" or "x" button and the rudder (yaw) was immediately at left or right position.

So it was very easy to roll at take of, or better maneuverability at landing or shooting.

Maybe it could be as follows (just an idea)"left shift" + "x" or "y" button = full yaw left or right / only "x" or "y" button = yaw left or right as it is now.

Thank you very much for your answer  :)

Type of improvement: 16x time acceleration in single player mission mode

Explanation of proposals: I understand why 16x time acceleration is disabled in campaign mode, but please developers do us mission builders a favor and allow it in single player mission mode. It takes ages to test missions build in the FMB with just 2x time acceleration.

Benefits: Faster testing of user-made missions.

• Upvote 4

Type of improvement: Having control regarding when the parachute opens

Explanation of proposals Choosing when to pull the Ripcord by means of pressing a button on the keyboard

Benefits Players could be less Vulnerable to death

• Upvote 2

Type of improvement: Spell check for website

Explanation of proposals: As above if possible

Benefits Communication, lessen possible frustration

Type of improvement: Effects
Explanation of proposals: make smoke columns from burning targets be affected by wind (like Stalingrad smoke)
Benefits: improved visuals and immersion.

Edited by yeikov
  • Upvote 1

Type of improvement: Campaign gameplay
Explanation of proposals: add an option in the SP campaign to allow the player to select a position in the flight different from the leader
Benefits: more variety in gameplay for those that like to fly as wingman

Edited by yeikov

Type of improvement: Control, Gameplay

Explanation of proposals: He 111 in auto-release mode, allow mixed internal/external loadouts to be released in a single continuous row. And not desactivate the auto release when one load is sent while the other is still on board. OR Allow both internal and external loads to be selected together.

Benefits:Better effectiveness and convenience in auto-bombing mode.

As it is for now I'm missing my old H2 with its 8xSC250 internal.

Type of improvement: Gameplay

Explanation of proposals: More customization options for in game aircraft and ground target icons.

Benefits: The ability to further customize what and how plane / ground target icons would allow players and server admins to better fine tune the balance between realism and playability and also compensate for the fact that it is impossible to get 100% realism as long as IL-2 requires a monitor of some sort to play.  Even the largest, most expensive 4K display attached to the best graphics card on the market is still not a reasonable enough facsimile to actually looking out of the cockpit with real eyes.

By allowing us to do things such as choose the type, color and amount of information (distance allegance type etc) the icon displays would allow everyone to better chose how they wish to display icons, rather than the current 'all or nothing' approach.

Also, admins should be able to chose whether or not this icon will be visible through or hidden behind the in game cockpit.

Type of improvement: Interface/ Immersion

Explanation of proposals:

To have clickable control systems within the cockpit.

Benefits: Would aid with immersion and give the feeling of actually being in the cockpit and not have to use or rely on the keyboard.

• Upvote 1

Type of improvement: Graphics / Immersion

Explanation of proposals: Removal of current Axis Tail plane emblems in campaign mode.

Benefits: We cannot have historical markings on axis aircraft in campaign , I believe it would be better to have nothing at all, as the current emblem is unrealistic and distracts when recording or editing campaign missions. 

Type of improvement: Graphics / Immersion

Explanation of proposals: Model oxygen masks on pilots and crew.

Benefits: Better immersion, particularly  when looking around inside a bomber as part of the crew.

Type of improvement: Education, Miscelaneous

Explanation of proposals: Build a wiki page to compile and keep up to date relevant information about the sim, specially data that might be dropped from a full manual like explanations on Dserver set up, remote console commands, mission log file info contents, etc. Something similar to the ones other sims like RoF, DCS have.

Benefits: reduce number of questions raised to developers and big savings in painkillers and wasted hours searching for info.

Edited by HR_Pingu
  • Upvote 2

Type of improvement:Server setup tutorial

Explanation of proposals:A Server setup tutorial stage by stage with screen shots from start to launch giving full instructions on how to set up and configure missions for mutyplay on your own rig or a second rig .To include how to run from one instal and use the second account for the server and the first account to fly on the same rig.How to set up on seperate rigs on the same network to include router and port settings in both cases .How to run the server ,console,commands etc .

Benefits:Would give the clueless like me a chance to run a server from home for squad mates and invited guests flying "vertual Coops".

Edited by Bird-Dog6BLBirdDog

Type of improvement: Immersion
Explanation of proposals: When the player dies or is killed inside his aircraft, in first person, (and said aircraft has not exploded), instead of cutting to an outside shot, the screen should go black, sound muted, and HUD turned off.  This feature was in IL-2 1946, and made pilot death often surprising and alarming.  It made it feel personal, and like it had been you in the cockpit.

Benefits:  Immersion, Gameplay

Edited by CF-105
  • Upvote 1

Type of improvement: Control, Gameplay
Explanation of proposals: Réintroduce the slip angle on the Lotfe sight, as well as the keyboards bindings for controlling the whole thing. The real thing did allow to see what's going on sideways so this should be implemented in the game. 
Benefits: Gameplay, Realism 

• Upvote 1

Type of improvement: Graphic

Explanation of proposals: Reduce the light at night. It should be nothing but the moon, fires and lights on ground, that light the environment. At a moonless night, or if it is overcast at night, it should be just black. At the moment an overcast midnight is brighter than at noon.

Benefits: Realism, Gameplay (A mission starting before sunrise would give time for bombers, before fighters could intercept, transport missions at night etc)

Type of improvement:  OWN PHOTO IN COCKPIT

Hi devs, i have an idea - It is not a novelty, but i am missing it in BOS.

Please could you add an option so we can add photo picture into the cockpit, as it was in COD.

Please try to think about it. As a graphic designer I am offering my services.
Tell me the dimensions and I can create a muster frame in any picture format you need.  :salute:

I think that I am not alone, who would be photos of family, girlfriend, wife, kids or even a dog in the cockpit liked.

photo here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y4av8txy5hapqth/IMG_8607.PNG?dl=0

Benefits:  Immersion, Gameplay, Little fun

Edited by CZEforzamike
  • Upvote 1

Type of improvement: MAKE SCREENSHOT GALLERY

once idea again ;) How about making the screenshot gallery???

Two ways to do it:
1) Directly on the website IL2 / gallery (or so) 

2) Or something like private gallery in player profile.
    On the website IL2 when I enter my nickname and I see my stats and medals, I could see the gallery of my "best" screenshots.

It is all about sharing "certain moments" between players community of IL2.

It can be crashes, shot-downed planes, emergency landed planes and other precious and interesting images.

When the game can make screenshot (jpeg) is a pity not to use to promote this great game.

Once per time can be declared "screenshot of the week" and this picture-winner can be be promoted via Facebook etc...
So you have a next great material for promotion.

Benefits:  Commercial promo of the game via social networks, FUN in the players community.

• Upvote 2

Type of improvement  (4) Sound

Explanation of proposal.

1) The Bf 109 Sound in and out of cockpit. It would be a great improvement  to  adjust the BF109 Sound to it's realistic sound

There is a definite growl in the Bf 109 engine sound  and it would be great  to have it in the game.

I  propose these 2 videos of Messerschmitt Museum  to get to hear this  remarcable Bf 109 sound.

Other games i.e. CFS3 had approached this sound very well but was lacking the whistle and the  high passes.

Check it out

and in cockpit.

There are of course tenths of videos with the Bf 109 sound.

2) Gunners machine guns sound.

I am not an expret on this but the sounds of the machineguns of the gunners sounds too thin and very generic.
Check it out if it needs improvement.

Benefits  Realism and immersion of the game . + a BIG attraction for all BF 109 lovers.

• Upvote 2

Type: Operating System Compatibility

Explanation: I Purchased the game on steam, I did not realize that it was only for windows 7 and down. I was so excited to play I overlooked this. I have read tons of posts, blogs, forums, support files and many others over the last 6 hrs trying to get this game to work. I have tried compatibility modes and mods. I have tried running as admin (which no forum addressed how to run a steam game as admin because it does not even give you that option when you right click) and all to no avail. An update, a patch, whatever it takes to allow the mass amounts of players on windows 8 who would like to play this game.

Benefits: Bigger player base. Satisfied customers. No need for mods and compatibility modes that are not offered with steam games anyway.

• Upvote 1

Type of improvement: CAMPAIGN STATISTICS - MISSION POINTS COUNTING

Explanation of proposals: Mission scoring is quite weird!!!
Example: pilot shot down two aircraft and flies to the mission exit point. Then goes back to the home airfield. Somewhere near the home airfield is plane hit by AAA air defense.
The engine is damaged, plane lands without further damage on home airfield. So mission is complete done.
​But in mission counting points screen is my plane marked as a emergency landing, so my score for two shot downed planes and home airfield landing is lower than when I finish the mission already in the mission exit point...

Why is it so???  I find it unfair!!! Because I took the job land with damaged plane to my airfield and i done it well.
So why is my score points lower than I end up in the middle of a mission???

Can you fix this counting please???

Benefits: motivation at all costs to get to the home airfield and properly terminate the mission!

• Upvote 1