BlackSix

Thread to gather your suggestions

5 hours ago, F/JG300_Faucon said:

Type of improvement: Runway numbers

Explanation of proposals: Adding on the map the numbers of runways.

Benefits: It's especially interesting for online communications. 

"I'm on finale runway 07" 

Maybe as a I or O key option, like the tags, etc

Type of improvement: Gameplay

Description: Implementation of a training phase on the beginning of a campaign for the next Normandy career mode using aircrafts like the British Tiger Moth. Having to fulfill some missions, exercises with realistic training targets in order to be accepted by RAF,  USAF or Luftwaffe.

Benefits: Content, immersion and fun. Also the training planes could be used as site seeing/civilian aircrafts. 

Yellow_Tiger_Moth_Góraszka.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Type of improvement: Gameplay, Integration of RRR for SP

Description: Enrichment of QMB and Career Mode by integrating RRR into these modules. RRR may be possible in some air bases, not all.

Benefits: 

- Development effort wouldn't be in vain, if this existing excellent feature was used in simulation

- Refueling on return flight after missions where less fuel and higher weapon load was necessary (e.g. where aircraft agility was important)
- Indirect target approaches with stopovers
- Multi-sortie missions

- Intercept missions of multiple waves of planes
- Round flights (navigation training)
- More fun and higher immersive feeling

• Upvote 3

Type of improvement: Realistic RADAR object

Description: Report aircraft location, altitude and heading - based on real horizon and clutter effects, the radar range equation,  the diffraction equation and realistic operator search and track methods.

Benefits:

- RADAR had a profound effect on post-D-day air activity which is largely missing from this simulation;

- it would promote the effectiveness of larger formations against smaller units, thereby encouraging more group behaviour on df servers;

- it could be integrated with the Mission Commander tool to provide more realistic ground control;

- it could be integrated into the Mission Builder enabling AI or other actions to be triggered by the RADAR object;

- it could be destructible, allowing attackers to influence strategic gameplay.

Edited by 56RAF_phoenix56
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, 56RAF_phoenix56 said:

Type of improvement: Realistic RADAR object

Description: Report aircraft location, altitude and heading - based on real horizon and clutter effects, the radar range equation,  the diffraction equation and realistic operator search and track methods.

Benefits:

- RADAR had a profound effect on post-D-day air activity which is largely missing from this simulation;

- it would promote the effectiveness of larger formations against smaller units, thereby encouraging more group behaviour on df servers;

- it could be integrated with the Mission Commander tool to provide more realistic ground control;

- it could be integrated into the Mission Builder enabling AI or other actions to be triggered by the RADAR object;

- it could be destructible, allowing attackers to influence strategic gameplay.

Navigation base on beacons and choosing the source was very well done in IL2 1946 compare to this new one. I hope there take care of this soon.

• Upvote 1

Type of improvement: Gameplay

Description: Once drop tanks are implemented, we should be able to drop them and then strafe the spilled fuel to start fires.

Benefits: This was a real tactic used by American pilots, particularly against trains. AFAIK, no other sim has implemented it, and it would be a unique and different technique for ground attack. I've provided documentation here.

• Upvote 3

Type of improvement: Gameplay/Immersion
Explanation of proposals: An option for Server Host and/or in mission editor to increase the time of deleting planes (in mid air) if pilot got killed.  

Or increase time to delete significantly on default.

Or delete the plane after it's crashed  onto the ground.

At the moment a plane will be deleted in air after ~15 sec if the pilot got killed, regardless if its an AI or a player plane and "delete after death" is marked or not.

I know this function is for the sake of a lag free  gamplay on servers, so I ask for an option that server hosts can decide it by themselfs.

For Singleplayer this deleting seems to  make no sense at all but still destroys the immersion.

Benefits: It will keep the immersion, not to see planes disapear in mid air.

Edited by CorvusX
  • Upvote 1

Type of improvement: Interface

Description: Reload input bindings from disk when starting a mission.

Benefits: I maintain multiple sets of key bindings for different types of planes, and I know I can't be the only one who does so. It's particularly important for multi-engine planes. Right now, if I join a server and see we need e.g. a Peshka, I need to leave the server, exit the game, swap in my twin-engine current.actions, launch the game, rejoin the server, and then fly. It would be great if I could instead just hit alt-tab, swap in my twin-engine current.actions, return to the sim, and hit start.

In an ideal world we'd have a handy in-game way to maintain multiple profiles, but that sounds like it would be a lot more work to implement.

Hello Developers. I wanted to say fantastic job so far with Tank Crew, and offer a few suggestions for additional items. 

Type of improvement: Addition of Stabilizer to Medium tank M4A2

Description: Medium tank M4A2 had a vertical stabilizer to roughly keep the sight on target while driving at moderate speeds

Benefits: It can be added at-leisure since the tank does not lose much without the system. If Tank Crew progresses to add US forces, it would allow the system to be in-game and tested with the M4A2 prior to being put into a whole new model. 

Type of improvement: Addition of Indirect sighting equipment to M4A2

Description: Medium tank M4 variants had sighting equipment allowing it to lay the 75mm gun for indirect fire through use of the gunner's elevation quadrant M9 and azimuth indicator M19. 

Benefits: It can be added at-leisure since the tank does not lose much without the system. If Tank Crew progresses to add US forces, it would allow the system to be in-game and tested with the M4A2 prior to being put into a whole new model. 

Type of improvement: Addition of Commander's turret traverse handle to M4A2

Description: Medium tank M4 variants had a handle for the commander to use to traverse the turret. This was a handle with a cable that moved the gunner's hydraulic traverse handle.

Benefits: Allows commanders to slew the gunner roughly onto target speeding up target acquisition.

Type of improvement: Rendering Commander's Sight on Medium tank M4 in commander's periscope

Description: The Medium tank M4 had a commander's sight on the turret which allowed the commander to see roughly where the gunner was aiming. This part is already modeled on the turret of the M4A2 in-game, but it does not render in the periscope view.

Benefits: Allows commanders to determine where the gunner is viewing and provide better instruction for engaging targets. 

All of these are rather small things, with the first two likely requiring a lot of work to add. Being a simulation small things like these are really nice to have in-game to create an amazing experience like the aircraft portion of IL-2. TM9-759, while for the M4A3 provides information on operation of some of these common systems. 

Edited by Kataphrakt
  • Upvote 1

Type of improvement:   Command option to order AI gunners to stay at the gun position.  

Bomber crew members that serve dual-purpose roles such as navigator or radioman will leave their gun positions the moment a hostile aircraft is out of engagement range - even if the enemy is still in view and obviously maneuvering for the next attack.  It takes time for the animation to complete as the gunner re-sets and prepares to fire. This often times gives enemy pilots ability to attack with a few moments of no opposition.  

Nobody in their right mind would allow a navigator to go back to work calculating map position (for example) when enemies were clearly in close proximity like that.  

Type of improvement: FULL MISSION EDITOR
Explanation of proposals: Be able to add BIG numbers and lletters in the Mission Editor Map
Benefits: You could build better maps and give more realism. For example, place various armed groups on the map, such as "225 rifle" or "6th army."

I currently use the "ICON" command to draw numbers but it is quite slow to do and sometimes it doesn't look good.

Edited by GOA_Walter_Nowotny
Add words

Type of improvement: Removal of front firing gun in Ju-88 cockpit.

Explanation of proposal: In many cases the forward firing gun next to the pilot was removed. It increased visibility and saved some weight. The gun was deemed useless as well. For example Finnish Air Force removed them from practically all Ju-88´s.This could be added as a field modification, for example.

Benefits: Better view for the pilot. Some saving of weight.

• Upvote 9

Type of improvement: Gunner position locked by default

Explanation of proposal: Lock the gunner position by default. Currently it is up to the pilot to lock them, and if they forget it, they open the doors for trolls who shoot the bomber's tail to shreds, or people who report the position of the bomber to the other team.

Benefits: Less opportunities for exploits in multiplayer.

EDIT: I was informed that the setting is saved. This calls for a refinement of the suggestion:
The setting should default to locked after each flight. It is a rare occasion that one opens the gunners for a friend. Currently if you open it, and forget it, it stays open forever...

Edited by LLv34_Untamo
  • Upvote 7

On 11/14/2014 at 12:10 AM, driftaholic said:

Type of improvement : Gameplay/Controls

Explanation of proposal : Can we please have a separate key binding for prop feathering of each engine 

Benefits :  Able to feather each prop individually much easier then current method with "engine control groups"

Many years have passed, is there some technical limitation?

Type of improvement:  Tank Crew game play

Explanation of proposal:  Model all tank commander cupola's similar to what has been done with the Panther.  Make the distance to each view  port uniform.  Currently it is very difficult to see out of the view ports in the Commanders Cupola in all tanks except the Panther.   Use the Panther as a model for all Commanders Cupola.

Benefits:  Improved game immersion for players who wish to command a tank from the closed cupola position.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Type of Improvement: Graphical

Explanation of Proposal: Allow a higher resolution of map with details of roads/rivers/bridges/villages.. etc for use with the tank crewman. All current Great Battle maps would require this addition.Possibly split into sectors for each of the main maps

Benefits: Allow the tank crew owners to plan routes and find targets etc on servers adding to the immersion of that role , would require the mission builder to allow the relevant sector for use in game

Edited by 602EAF_Puff

Type of improvement: Correct skins for british P-47/P-51 in BoBP career
Explanation of proposals: British pilots are already displayed in the above mentioned planes in the career mode but they use the generic american skin instead of the generic british skin (they already have).
Benefits: More immersion and accuracy

Type of improvement Server difficulty option

Explanation of Improvement : Separate simple gauges for tanks and aircraft in game huds

Benefits Will allow server admins to set different difficulty options to both ground and air, allowing the use of ammo count and mini maps for ground whilst remaining off for airforces

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

Type of improvement: controls

Explanation of proposals: individual key maping for each airplane like DCS have.

Benefits: this will make setting up the controls so much better, we have so many aircraft and with so much different key bindings it is hard to have enough buttons to fly all aircraft comfortably.

For example i have my controls setup for the Ju 88 but if i want to fly the Ju 52 i have to rebind all my throttle and radiators keys.

Edited by Dark_P
  • Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, Dark_P said:

For example i have my controls setup for the Ju 88 but if i want to fly the Ju 52 i have to rebind all my throttle and radiators keys.

Well, it isn't as bad as that. I keep a folder of the control files for each airplane and copy and paste them in when I switch (search this forum for how). Still, it would be nice to have something like RoF (and DCS?) has for specific plane key bindings.

By community request, here is a short instruction on how to preserve key and axis bindings (for example, in a case of a complete reinstall):

1. You need to back up these files:
<game_folder>\data\input\current.actions
<game_folder>\data\input\current.devices
<game_folder>\data\input\current.map
<game_folder>\data\input\current.responses
<game_folder>\data\input\devices.txt
2. In case of installing from scratch, restore these files from your backup, replacing the existing ones.
3. This would work if you have the same controllers connected.
Edited by cardboard_killer

Type of improvement:
Career 

Explanation of proposals:
More options for commanding a squadron as a commander, because currently as a commander we have no influence on what is happening in our squadron in the base, the command is limited to the missions themselves.
Therefore, I propose to add such possibilities:
- Requests to the command for additional aircraft, that it depends on us when we want to strengthen the strength of the squadron.
- Requests for additional pilots, as in the case of airplanes, so that it is not automatic and depends on us.
- Managing pilots independently, decorating them with medals and giving them promotions according to our perceptions, similarly, if we do not like one of the pilots in our squadron, we could transfer him to another unit. 

Benefits:
Greater immersion and realism, at the same time, a reward for finally being a squadron commander

Type of improvement:

Add electric runway lights.

Illuminating runways with fires during the night might have happened on the eastern front, but in the west it would be more accurate to have electric runway lights.

Benefits:

We no longer have to illuminate runways with campfires.

• Upvote 6

Type of improvement: Clear canopy glass

Explanation of proposal: Make all canopy and windscreen glasses equally clear, clean and scratchless. The planes are modelled as new and more or less according to specs aka fresh from factory. Yet we have smeary and view limiting glass/persplex/whatever. Spotting in the game is already hard as it is and the strange smear/fingerprints/random scratches make it even harder.  As an example pictures posted below from a FW190D-9 making it look it has never been washed and digged from a dustbin, not to mention the horrendous banding.

Benefits: Less frustration and enhanced gameplay. A more maintained look as canopy and windshields are always kept clean and in top shape.

Smear and banding.jpg

Smear1.jpg

• Upvote 4

Type of improvement:

Graphics

Add lights to some city buildings and roads at night. When flying at night the cities can seem a bit lifeless and they're also harder to see. [Edit] I know cities would often be blacked out, but I doubt that all light were always out. 

Benefits:

The cities would look more realistic at night and would be easier to see, even if there was just a small amount of city lights.

--------- Since the forum merged my two suggestions, here's another ----------------- 

Type of improvement:

Graphics

Allow lights on planes to be seen from further away. You've increased the distance that planes can be seen but it seems that the lights on planes can only be seen from 10km away still.

Benefits:

Increases realism, avoids immersion killers. It's very odd when a plane's got its lights on and I can see the plane from further than 10km but once I'm within 10km all of a sudden its lights are seen. If I can see a plane that has lights on then I should ideally be able to see its lights too.

-------

Just a side note, and I don't mean to be negative at all, but when you guy's create threads like this to gather our suggestions it makes me wonder if the "Suggestions" section of the forum is looked at too. People create very good suggestions there all the time. I just hope those are looked at too is all. 

Edited by spamRoast
  • Upvote 2

Type of improvement: Plane type or modification to existing plane type ( Spitifre Mk.IX)
Explanation of proposals: Adding a 1942 or 1943 year-model Spitfire Mk.IX with early vertical stabiliser, mid-war default skin and tuned FM / Engine to go with the upcoming Normandy map. The Mk.IX we currently have is great but it is a decidedly a very late war version and we will need an earlier variant for BON and the Channel Operations it will enable us to represent. 
Benefits: More immersion and accuracy.

• Upvote 3

Type of improvement: Full Mission Builder -> Easier Randomized Waypoint Placement

Explanation of proposals: Add a field "radius of placement" to a Waypoint to add a variety of situations of one mission without changing this mission. 

Benefits:

The current way of randomizing the movement of an AI vehicle is very complicated and always predictable with the probability values entered in the triggers. Having a certain radius where a placed waypoint will actually translate when the mission is started could add a replayability to lots of missions and introduce new tactics and requirements like sending out recon to find a target that is not predestined to be on one of two or three positions. So "having to find" something instead of being told exactly where it is would add a great deal of immersion and the need to stay focused.

It also would add the playability of missions that are self-created without the downside of knowing everything beforehand.

Type: Full mission editer: "runway" object

Explaination: my suggestion is for one of the following:

- change the roughness of existing objects like ports or other large grounds objects so that planes can land on them.

- add new objects: "runway" of various lengths that can be placed on the map and that planes can land on.

EDIT: Alternatively, provide a change to the "mods on" function so that landscape/map mods can be allowed, but all others not. (so a "Map mods" option and another "other Mods" option). So that mission editors can do this:

, without opening the servor to other mods

Benifets:

The reason for my suggestion is to allow mission editors to create airfields of sorts on the map in remote areas. This would allow the use of some vastly under utilized areas, such as the mountains and NE corner of the kuban map for example, which are underutilized at present due to the distances involved.

Especially those mountains.

Providing something such as this as an object,with a sub mounting that allows it to merge nicely with existing terrain.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marston_Mat

Useful in fantasy scenarios.

Thanks

Edited by -RS-Nolly
further research, see edit

Type of improvement: Weather fronts

Explanation of proposals: Add the possibility for the weather engine to create asymetric weather fronts

Benefits:

Creating a weather front that divides the map into an overcast area on one side and a clear or partly cloudy area on the other side would add a variety in gameplay and stimulate development of tactics to use atmospheric conditions in planning and execution of missions.

• Upvote 5

Type of improvement: Full Mission Editor

Explanation of proposals: Separate description of map for each coalition

Benefits: With the ability to set separate coalition description to fly in multiplayer map, will make some critical objetives or activity that doesn`t want to know by the enemy. This will give more realism to the multiplayer maps

Type of improvement: Mission text log improvements

Explanation of proposal: Add log entries with complete coordinates and IDs for following events into the mission text log:

• All types of paradrops
  • Flare being fired
  • Current coordinates of all objects that have moved since generation of previous log file

Benefits: Possibility for online campaign creators to make functionality based on the entries, and not rely on pre-placed triggers which cause load on the dserver:

• Campaign apps can track how many paratroopers or supplies have been dropped to *any* area on the map, and use this information for online war progression calculations.
  • Possibility for campaign apps to use flare fired entry as a trigger for recon picture taking and having the player call in artillery strike. Again, without the need of adding pre-placed complex triggers which cause load on the dserver.
  • Tracking the positions of each object in an online war, so the campaign app knows how far each object has moved during the mission. Possibility to implement "vector home" functionality for player planes, as well as radar that has altitude limitations and delay.
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 13

Type of improvement: Improving Radio functionality

Explanation of proposal: Implement something more substancial than hand gestures.

Benefits: Interact with AI squad.

• Upvote 1

Type of improvement: Enhancement

Explanation of proposals: "Battle Of Midway" DLC with aircraft carriers you can land on, Japanese bombers, fighters, and American torpedo bombers.

Benefits: With the ability to have Torpedo bombers, Japanese kamakzies, Aircraft carriers, and more, it allows a more realistic and a more of a variety of different factions and planes.

Type of improvement: More Airfield Targets in QMB

Adding more airfield targets in QMB like parked planes, vehicles, etc. instead of just AA guns. In Missions and Career, airfields have many more targets than in QMB, same with IL-2 1946.

Benefits: Would give the player more attacking options instead of just strafing AA guns. IMO, would seem more fun with more targets.

Thank you and Good luck Devs.

• Upvote 4

Type of improvement:  Multiplayer  -  Gunner stations

Explanation of proposal:   Add an option to only allow players marked as "friend" on the in-game friends lists to enter unlocked gun stations.  

Benefits:  Sometimes, a bomber pilot will forget to lockout the gunner station when joining a session. 

In the TAB player scoreboard, there is an option to "mark players as friends".  Having an option to only allow players marked as friends will prevent random players from joining guns without pilot permission, unannounced, and potentially self damaging the plane as trolling, shooting nearby friendly planes or simply expending all the gun station's ammo, then leaving.  

With the option checked, bombers that forget to lock the gunner station will at least have the assurance that only pilots marked as "friend" will be able to join the bomber's crew.  

Type of Improvement: Education

Explanation of proposals: Training targets would help us new players. For example, stationary bomb target bullseyes to practice bombing, and V1 like drone targets of varying sizes and speeds. 
Benefits: Helps new players like myself to practice at the beginning and then to progress to AA/movement in the targets.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Type of improvement: Make the gunner position head movement work same as pilot

Currently, when in the gunner position, the head movements are dulled down considerably, like the gunner's head was held by some unseen force that is trying to stop it from moving. The effect is made worse with higher zoom levels. This doesn't make the gunnery any easier. In fact it makes tracking fast moving targets impossibly hard and just looking around feels awkward. Make the head movement the same as in pilot position.

Benefits: Better gunnery, better observation.

Edited by LLv34_Untamo
  • Upvote 5

Type of improvement: 

---Selectable 'Alternate Skins' 

Currently when a player uses a custom skin then anyone that does not have that skin on their PC sees the default official skin.   This is a real problem on winter maps as the default is always a Summer skin.   You could solve that by having an official Winter skin as well as the Summer skin and selecting which one players will see based on the season of the map.  There is still an issue though as the games visibility system makes silver skins stand out clearly from 9Km whatever the season and anyone using a muted custom skin on a P51 or P47s etc will have a silver skin by default.  The only way to cure that is to make the official default not be silver or to add a file alongside the custom DDs file that specifies which official skin you want to be used as the default.

Benefits:

Allow custom skins to be used in multiplayer without issues. 
This may not seem important to many people but I have a large squadron and we use custom skins to help us know who is who.

Example yaks210.jpg

• Upvote 6

Type of improvement: 

Have a mechanism to select a two hand pull on the control stick.

Create an assignment, that when press/selected, it simulates the pilot putting two hands on the control column. BENIFITS, you can apply a higher stick force. DISADVANTAGE, whilst it is pressed/selected, you are unable to operate any of the other controls that aren't on the control column.

Benefits:

More immersive, would prevent you performing an unrealistic amount of operations in a high g turn.

• Upvote 3

Type of improvement: Add air speed to the telemetry output for motion simulators. 

Explanation of proposals:  Adding the air speed of an aircraft to the telemetry output utilized by motion software such as SimTools, SimRacingStudio, and other programs would enable the use of fan kits to simulate wind. Utilizing the output per the Motion Support for IL-2 thread here, the addition of a UDP message that includes the airspeed would allow fan kits to speed up or slow down depending on the airspeed of the aircraft. Acc_x, Acc_y, and Acc_z are not able to be utilized for fan kits as those variables are utilized for XYZ movement depending on g-force. 

Benefits: Utilizing a fan/wind kit with motion simulators or even a static environment in VR or flat screen is incredibly immersive. Below are a couple of reviews of wind kits that are currently commercially available. Wind kits are very popular in racing sims; however, DCS, War Thunder, and even Elite Dangerous currently output speed and are amazing with a fan/wind kit. 

• Upvote 1