BlackSix

Thread to gather your suggestions

Type of improvement: Aircraft loadout correction

Explanation: Fw 190 A-8 with F-8/G-8 mod and then 13 mils removed mod (Jabo rei) can have 2x or 3x 250kg bomb or one single 1000 kg bomb. However, it can't have only single 500 kg bomb, even though they mostly used single 500 kg bomb + two underwing droptanks (which we dont have, so one 500 kg is the way to go).

Benefits: Having the historically most used bomb load for this plane.

• Upvote 3

Type of improvement:  Ability to save gun convergence for individual planes.  

Explanation:  I have found that certain planes are easier to shoot with at different convergences.  

Example:  Setting convergence for a Spitfire mk. IX at ~250m is very good for getting hits on the target.  Setting IL-2 gun convergence to 500m is very good for ground strafing.  Leaving it at 250m is not.  

Benefit: Simply being able to set the convergence according to the plane and save it per plane would be a great convenience. One would simply have to select the plane and not potentially forget to readjust the convergence when switching to another.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Type of improvement: Interface/Quality of life

Explanation of proposals: When measurment units is set to Imperial, the convergence setting in the loadout screen should be in feet/yards and not in meters. 

Benefits: This would make the P-47's/Spitty IX's (and upcoming allied aircraft's) gyro sights easier to use, as we wouldn't have to convert from meters to feet/yards. 

• Upvote 2

Type of improvement: In-Game radio 

Explanation of proposals: Radio transmitter/receiver for aircraft equipped with it for in-game comms. Add hability to tweak frequencies. Quality of the signal or no signal deppending on range and terrain. Ex.: Take a look on Single Radio Standalone feature for DCS.

Benefits: Immersion, option to gather players in comms more realistically.

•  
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Type of Improvement:  Display of thumbnails/preview pictures for custom skins

Explanation of proposal:  The selection screen for "official" skins displays a small thumbnail/preview picture to aid the player in the selection of a skin to use, and it is possible for modders to edit/replace these preview pictures (e.g., as I did when creating a mod with historically-marked German skin variants for some of the official skins).  However, currently there is no such preview picture displayed for "custom" skins, and when I tried to do the same thing for custom skins that I did for the modified official ones I was not able to cause the game to display the custom thumbnails.  I propose/request/suggest that the same or a similar mechanism as already exists for official skins be added to enable the game to display preview pictures for custom skins (or if such mechanism already exists perhaps you could provide some hint/instructions on how modders might trigger it to happen).

Benefits:  There are some wonderful skins being created by the community for IL-2 GB/FC (so many that it is increasingly difficult for players to organize them and find the ones they want), and this would make it much easier and more enjoyable for players to be able to find and select the custom skins that they want to use.

Edited by TG-55Panthercules
  • Upvote 4

A suggestion for the coming "picture in cockpit" feature. Could you make it so it accepts also ASCII files. That way I can mis-use it as a checklist/specs list.  I now have a notepad I have on a stand next to the monitor but that is often to dark to read fast. In X-plane you can load an ascii textfile for notes, and a checklist in ascii the latter gives you 1 line at a time and two buttons to scoll up or down. A sort of knee-board where I can read things while keeping my eyes on the screen.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Type of improvement:   Graphics and ease of use

Explanation of proposals:     In order to perform complex engine management, you must know and understand engine limitations and settings, have your controls set up (key mapped) to effect engine limitations and settings {open radiators, increase power, etc.}, and observe the relevant instruments. In real life, one does this engine management while maintaining control of the aircraft by observation of the horizon (during visual flight conditions) or using the attitude instruments.

In the Great Battles simulation currently, whether using point of view commands on a joystick button. head tracking software like Track IR, snap views, or VR headset, it is very difficult to show the horizon and panel instruments at the same time  in most of the aircraft because of the limited field of view. If you take too long when checking your panel or looking for an instrument and not referencing the horizon, you may start to turn, dive or climb, or even lose complete attitude awareness and go into a spin!

I would suggest a new and additional view command to help with this problem. This Split Screen View would show the default cockpit view on the left and a snap view of the appropriate instrument on the right side on the screen.

Dualscreen.thumb.jpg.e5b4b203f0a88d6a5b8bb5b92e2e22a6.jpg

In the example above, you can see the horizon view (from Pilot head snap position: center, Numpad 5) on the left and the compass (from a preprogramed snap view) on the right. Each side to be centered on a screen  half the width of the current monitors’ screen resolution setting and with each side to be active to be able to see any changes in the instruments or aircraft attitude.

The instrument view on the right would be set up using the mouse and current snap view positioning commands (insert, home, delete, end, page up, and page down) and would be saved with the F10 key command.

At the present time, snap views are labeled by their key commands (keypad 2, keypad decimal, etc.). These new snap views would be labeled by a modifier key plus a keypad key (d + keypad 2 or control key + keypad 8) which would also be the key command to display the split screen view and this would allow two different sets of snap views.

The Split Screen View command should act as a toggle with the split screen view remaining open until the command is repeated under all cockpit and external camera views.

Benefits:   The Split Screen View will permit greater situational awareness and easier simulator control. Game play will be enhanced and enjoyment by the player increased!

• Upvote 1

Type of improvement. Graphics, Gameplay, immersion

Rear Snap view for VR sets

Explanation of  proposal

Puts VR players on a level playing field with TrackIR users.  Forgetting the irrelevant side tracking arguements of reality, it levels the playing field and puts life into the Fighter game encouraging more VR pilots into that game assets. Provides a fighting chance in the air.

Benefits

Joy , levels the playing field, stops baby Jesus from weeping.

• Like 1

Type of improvement: Aircraft Structural Damage under G-loads (positive and negative) and Overspeed.

Explanation of proposals: Aircraft suffer structural damage under Heavy G-loads. The ones implemented in game is not satisfactory. It is possible to dive at 600-700 and pull the stick hard without punishment.

Benefits: difficult to do dangerous manouvers hardly seen IRL.

• Upvote 1

Type of improvement: Possibility to encrypt the msnbin file.

Explanation of proposal: Currently, a downloaded msnbin file can be opened with the mission editor. This is ok for most dogfight type of servers. However, for online campaigns where both sides plan their ground troops etc. movement, the msnbin file needs to be encrypted (not being able to open it in the mission editor) so that players cannot simply check in mission editor where the enemy ground forces are located.

Benefit: Possibility to have online wars that have fog of war -> more realism.

• Upvote 4

Type of improvement: Interface/Graphics

Explanation of proposals:  Virtual Kneeboard.  An editable "notepad" that one sees in game in the cockpit or on the map screen to display navigation or engine management notes.  Fillable text field that can be edited in the mission briefing screen or aircraft loadout screen before one presses "start".  Perhaps the upcoming cockpit photograph function could be used for this. 

Benefits:  Allows VR users to glance down or at the map while in VR to see personal navigation and engine management notes.  The VR equivalent of a TrackIR user glancing down at an actual paper notepad.  Thank you! 

Edited by StG77_Jeeves_
Edited 10/3/19 because the personal photo is perfect for posting pilot notes about the aircraft.  Brilliant.  Thank you!   Some way to make easily editable navigation notes when one starts a new mission would still be useful.
  • Like 3

Type of improvement: multiplayer 

Explanation of proposals : do not display destroy ground targets to everyone

Displaying destroy ground targets in open message in expert realism multiplayer server for everyone to see is not good choice:
-it gives away enemy position;
-floods message channel and unnecessarily utilize network (this also is appiled to own team -  sometiomes several dozen of messages, if frendly drops big bomb on concentrated ground targets) 

Benefits: fairplay, more realism, better network utilization

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Type of improvement: Adjustable Sights on all aircraft.

Explanation: The recently released aircraft all appear to have adjustable sights for distance and wingspan bar, I realise this may be asking a lot but is there a possibility of seeing this feature as an update to previously released planes? i'd assume it's pretty easily done in the case of the german revi as they all pretty much carry the same sight.

Benefits: Improved gunnery and realism for all, it's a wonderful addition to the newer planes and a feature sadly missed from our clod days.

Apparently I have British Bias, didn't realise the Revi's were fixed, please ignore and thank you for the continued updates!

Edited by Melonfish
  • Upvote 1

Type of improvement:   Manually ordering crew gun positions from cruise or combat mode and vice versa. One additional command to the crew (toggle).

Explanation of benefit:   Lowering the preparation time to fire on enemy planes when under fire. Eliminating possible speed changes (drag) when guns are deployed (dependent on the bomber/type) that possibly could affect your bombsight aiming by changing speed input on random.

Benefits:   More realistic gunner behavior, by deploying your gunners when you expect to be attacked. Some gun positions when deployed into combat mode from cruise position actually induce drag and lower overall speed of a plane. e.g. B-25C had a ventral (lower) turret that, when it was extended reduced the speed by about 15 mph... Not sure if this drag is / will be modeled in the sim though.

Edited by [DBS]TH0R

Type of improvement: Improved weather visuals and effects, i.e. icing, lightning.

Explanation of benefit: More realistic aviation hazards for more immersive game play. Imagine the fun when flying thru cloud and you see ice build up. Also, improving clouds in general would be a way to improve visuals in all scenarios. And weather is an important factor in all aviation, usually ignored by most sims.

Benefits:   More appealing visuals and realism.

• Upvote 1

Type of improvement:   More moving objects on the ground

Explanation of benefit:   currently there are only some vehicles on ground. Airports need to be more populated. There must be some life going on on ground. More vehicles, people moving arround, aircraft parked on in the shelters, maintainence going on, fuel being poured into aircraft, some battles going on somewhere, more river/sea traffic. More trains.

Benefits:   Greater immersion, as now there is almost no life on the ground.

Type of improvement:   Realistic rain conditions

Explanation of benefit:  currently rain will pour from very thin clouds. Rain should pour from dark, thick clouds.

Benefits:   Greater immersion,

Type of improvement:   Rain pouring only from thick and dark clouds

Explanation of benefit:  currently rain drops from very thin clouds and sometimes out of the blue.

Benefits:   Greater immersion

I guess this isn't a big deal but it has to do with graphics on the German prop cones. Is there anyway to have the spiral spinner cones spin as they should. I notice they are just static. I don't don't how much work is involved to make that happen, I'm just pointing it out. I think it would be a cool effect. Photo is a sample of what I mean

bf109g10white11bg_4.jpg

Type of improvement:  Number of G

Explanation of benefit:  Adding the number of G the pilot take in the information bar (where we already have the speed, heading, etc...)

Benefits:  Nothing special, just knowing how much G you take, see how much G are needed to black out, etc...

The new pilot fatigue model is amazing... !!!!!!!

• Like 1

Type of improvement: Interface
Explanation of proposals: add the ability to preselect the gunsight gyro setting on the hangar loadout
Benefits: so that we don't have to set it on the plane. and it will be preselected everytime you load an aircraft with a gyro sight

something like this 

jghf copy.jpg

• Upvote 1

Type of improvement: graphics

Explanation of proposals: Suggestion - the thin smoke trial could be done more naturally, now it's look to artificially one can see the pattern in it. Same thickness and height and oscillation in that dimensions.

Benefits: more realistic representation of smoke = better graphics 

image.png.ef75db33cdde76d566c5504a7fd9b651.png

Type of improvement: Graphics?

Explanation of proposals: Could the game be made to load with different default graphics settings based on starting in VR vs non-VR? 

I play planes in VR and tanks on the flat screen. Among other graphics quality settings, when in VR I set the flat-screen resolution to 1080 to free up resources but when playing tanks on the flat screen I use 4K. Every time I swap between the two I have to load the game, change the resolution/settings, then reload the game.

Benefits: Quality of life improvement for those who share my situation. Not critical, but it would be greatly appreciated.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Type of Improvement: P-47D-28 2800 power and flight model of the 100 Octane fuel grade or bumping it up to 150

Explanation of proposal: Currently many feel the the P-47D is underpowered. For instance on takeoff, you don’t even need to set rudder trim and barely need right rudder at full power 2700 rpm and 52 manifold for the R2800! Clearly the sense of power and torque are anemic. This also affects it’s agility. Although it is clearly a massive plane, pilots described the roll rate as being nimble.

Type of improvement: Damage model P-47D-28

Explanation of proposal:  The Damage model is equivalent to a BF-109 and FW when many pilot accounts talked about the many canon bursts it could take. I am sure you have seen this video already.

Please fix this Glorious bird. Since the sim has no TAS indication the only performance figure I am able to validate is rate of climb.

Type of improvement: OAT/ Atmospheric Conditions

Explanation of proposalOAT seems to be constant from Sea Level to altitude since I have to keep the cowl shutters and oil intercoolers full open in a prolonged climb from seal level to 30,000 feet in the P-47 to keep the engine from cooking at 44” MP and 2550 RPM.  Would it be difficult to implement decreasing temp as you climb per ISA?

Thank you and keep up the good work!

Edited by BSS_Ripper*
  • Upvote 2

Type of improvement:   Gameplay

Explanation of benefit:   The gyro sight is set by default to the widest and furthest setting and it has to be adjusted every time. can it be set to a narrower setting by default?

Benefits:   With the current defaults the sights are very sensitive and most players who dont know how to adjust the sights, the gyro sight looks like a gimmick. If it was properly set for fighter use (i imagine its the most frequent) the adoption and understanding of how the sight works and its utility would increase. Also, it's more convenient.

Type of improvement:   Gameplay

Explanation of benefit:   The current brakes are pretty weak and make taxiing and braking in general much harder, to the point where the FM had to be simplified to make taxiing easier. It is my opinion that that would have been unnecessary if brakes were more effective. Please consider making the ground brakes more effective for all planes.

• Upvote 7

Type of improvement: Sound. 

Explanation of proposals: Adding more takes to the high-G breathing/coughing sound. 

Benefits: Having only one take/sound file of this noise which one hears frequently and repetitively gives it a robotic quality very quickly. Having the voice actor do multiple takes of this makes it sound which would be played randomly would make it far more realistic. 

It's the same principle behind drum programming, if you just have one sample of each drum it sounds much more like a machine rather than a human playing. 

• Upvote 2

Type of improvement: More complex formation structures

Explanation: Create the ability to have more complex formation structures, such as two flights flying in formation, while retaining their individual groupings. Also addingt he wingman "pairs" behavior would be fantastic. Withina larger formation, give the ability for some planes to act as the wingman who has to cover a designated plane.

Benefits: Increased inmersion and realism

formation.thumb.png.8200726298daecf8cf5071b8301323e6.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

Type of improvement: Even more realistic bailout procedure for multi crew planes.

Explanation of proposals: Change the order for crew bailout, pilot should bail out last - not the first one as is now. The crew often doesn't have the time to leave the plane in emergency since the pilot goes out first and from then on, no one is controlling/preventing the plane from entering spins or high G maneuvers thus making it impossible for the crew to get out.

As a crew member, you cannot bail out if you are leaned to the gunsight. Please enable bailout even if you are leaned to the sight.

Benefits: More realistic bail out procedure for multi crew planes. Removing the limitation of not being able to bail out when leaned to the gunsight as a gunner / crew.

Edited by [DBS]TH0R
  • Upvote 3

Type of improvement:  Gameplay

Explanation of proposals:

Add a key to declare an emergency when you need to land immediately and are worried that people may try to take off as you are landing and unable  to go round.   Pressing this key will cause sirens (different to air raid?) to go off and (optionally) ambulance and fire trucks to line up near the runway of your nearest airfield.   This will make it very clear for players who never look over their shoulders and never read the chat that they need to stay off the runway. 

Alternatively a simpler version might just be to let us call Finals which generates a message on the screen/in-chat  and a flare sent up as so few players check before taking off.

Benefits:

It is just gameplay and eye candy and immersion.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

Type of improvement: Confine the In Cockpit Zoom within the cockpit in multiplayer servers. 

Explanation of proposals: Many virtual pilots like to emulate as much as possible how pilots succeeded in missions in the real war. Patrolling around at 20,000 ft to seek out targets at 10,000     with the use of in cockpit zoom is highly unrealistic. I am pretty sure pilots were not equipped with binoculars in their cockpits. The old expression of boom and zoom has taken a whole new meaning in IL2 rebranded as ZOOM and BOOM!

Benefits: More realistic gameplay where fighters are supporting their bombers to take out military objectives instead of producing videos of Ace in a sortie spending time near the stratosphere just Zooming and booming! When I  flew in the real world I saw what I could see with my own eyes not binoculars.

Edited by BSS_Ripper*
Clarification
  • Upvote 1

Type of improvement : gameplay/realism.

Explanation of proposals: extended presentation of realistic  physiology model - when in GLOC, the player faints exactly like shown in the external view of airplane - body stumbles to forward/rear of the cockpit ; when entering GLOC mode, the player head position resets to forward/rear cockpit view and freezes in that exact position for approximately 2-3 seconds after consiousness is regained.

Benefits: the actual physiology feature becomes even more realistic - immediately after regaining consiousness, the player is disoriented and needs to reestablish his Situational Awareness in the dogfight; bigger penalty for fainting, which makes GLOC maneuver very hard to exploit in dogfight.

• Upvote 2

Type of improvement: Expansion of Quick Mission Builder.

Explanation: Implementing different mission types in the QMB like: Dogfight, Escort, Ground attack airfield, Ground attack target of opportunities, Attack of ships, Bombing, Scramble from airfield, etc.

Implementing separate altitude for first group and a separate altitude for the second group. The same for the enemy first & second group.

In other words, something similar to the QMB Pro in the old IL-2 1946.

Benefits: Being able to go straight into action without spending much time as in the normal missions.

• Upvote 3

Type of improvement: Gameplay/realism

Explanation of proposals: Be able to turn off the Airfield under attack information. Turn off in Server settings or turn off in Airfield properties in Mission Editor. If not turn off in ME, maybe be able to reduce range  similar to Balloons in RoF. 

Benefits: The Airfield under attack may have value for the Great Patriotic War planes and for Multiplayer so people can find where the action is. For Flying Circus it is good for open servers that want quick action. The problem is it destroys the "fog of war" for tournament play. We want people to go and not be observed. We want aircraft location information to be limited to what you can see from your plane. Making it an option gives server operators flexibility for different styles of play. 

sword.jpg

• Upvote 2

Type of improvement: enable photo recce, taking pre and post strike photos

Explanation: would be nice to have unarmed recce airplane, with possibility of taking photos.

Benefits:  It could reveal position of the enemy forces on the map for certain ammount of time. Would be interesting to have that option in multiplayer environment.

• Upvote 2

Type of improvementAdjustment to the altitudes career missions take place at

Explanation of proposal: The AI seems to not pick an optimal altitude during campaign missions to maximize the use of the aircraft. Missions run seem to result in low-altitude dogfights and may cause diving attackers to plummet into the ground. 

Benefits: better player-AI coordination in career missions, better utilization of the current AI 

For background i'm still fairly new to IL-2, with most of my time spent in a BoM career flying the MiG-3. whenever i sortie we end up flying at a max of 2500m while the attacking 109s tend to encounter us from much higher up. The result is roughly 30% of the time diving aircraft slam into the ground during their dives. Moving up a bit higher this seems to happen a lot less often, and also results in fewer long turning battles. 

Type of improvement:       More color contrast on big map between main landmarks,

Explanation:                        Darken the shade of green of the tree stands and forests. 

Benefit:                                For us(me)  with diminishing vision, I find it hard to positively identify landmarks that have towns with rivers running through

them surrounded by trees  unless I zoom right in on them. This ruins situational awareness and helps me get lost faster and 

harder to reestablish my location .  I think darker green trees on map would help.

Hi Devs,

i'm still fairly new to IL-2 and have been poking around the forums. I ran across the old thread from Jason talking about the delays to the PTO release for IL-2 GB. I just wanted to say that i appreciate the decision to take more time to make sure the content can be released to your standards. As a major fan of radial engine aircraft i'll patiently await the release of PTO!

Type of improvement: Correct visibilty of tracers

Explanation: Currently, tracers are depicted as they are seen on film. But this is not how they behaive in real life. When I was flying in the military, our Soko Galeb G-2 was equipped with Browning M3 12.7 machine gun, simmilar to M2 which was in the P-51 for instance, even the Gunsight was K-14c, quite simmilar to P-51 one. We were firing live ammo, with every 6th or so bullet with its bottom part filled with phosphorous, so you could see where the bullets are going. There was some light smoke emmited from the gun, but barely visible, as the air washed behind the aircraft quickly. There were NO laser-like tracers like they are now in IL-2. There were only dots travelling in front of the airplane. You can see this clearly even in the old gun camera videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dgL2ZWWAhw

Please, correct this already.

Benefits: Tracers will be depiced correctly.

Type of improvement: Enable possibilty to switch off radio chatter.

Explanation: Radio chatter is sometimes annoying.

Benefits: obvious.

Edited by daliborsky
  • Upvote 3

Type of Improvement: Gameplay/Realism

Explanation of Proposal: Remove the large dust puffs from the bullet impacts on aircraft in Flying Circus since nonexplosive rifle caliber bullets in real life do not make such a visible impact when hitting soft material such as wood and fabric.

Benefits: Makes long range sniping more difficult/realistic since you will not be able to adjust your aim based on whether or not you see bullet strikes.  Also would make combat and dogfights look even more authentic.

Edited by US93_Furlow
Clarifying the obvious
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, US93_Furlow said:

Type of Improvement: Gameplay/Realism

Explanation of Proposal: Remove the large dust puffs from the bullet impacts in Flying Circus since nonexplosive rifle caliber bullets in real life do not make such a visible impact when hitting soft material such as wood and fabric.

Benefits: Makes long range sniping more difficult/realistic since you will not be able to adjust your aim based on whether or not you see bullet strikes.  Also would make combat and dogfights look even more authentic.

I once had a 7mm Mauser rifle and I fired at a dirt road across a valley and it kicked up quite a bit of dust. I guess it depends on what you hit.

How about some anti-aircraft at airports in quick missions?

8 hours ago, onlyforbrian said:

I once had a 7mm Mauser rifle and I fired at a dirt road across a valley and it kicked up quite a bit of dust. I guess it depends on what you hit.

Well of course capt. obvious a bullet will kick up dust when shooting at dirt.  I'm talking about bullets hitting a wood and fabric aircraft that one would expect to be dust free due to traveling at 120mph.

• Upvote 1

Type of Improvement: Longer trains and full railyards

Explanation of Proposal: add longer trains and add more trains at railway stations and railyards (they are ususaly target rich environment, but not in IL2)

Benefits: Obvious

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1