BlackSix

Thread to gather your suggestions

Type of improvement: Aircraft loadout correction

Explanation: Fw 190 A-8 with F-8/G-8 mod and then 13 mils removed mod (Jabo rei) can have 2x or 3x 250kg bomb or one single 1000 kg bomb. However, it can't have only single 500 kg bomb, even though they mostly used single 500 kg bomb + two underwing droptanks (which we dont have, so one 500 kg is the way to go).

Benefits: Having the historically most used bomb load for this plane.

• Upvote 2

Type of improvement:  Ability to save gun convergence for individual planes.  

Explanation:  I have found that certain planes are easier to shoot with at different convergences.  

Example:  Setting convergence for a Spitfire mk. IX at ~250m is very good for getting hits on the target.  Setting IL-2 gun convergence to 500m is very good for ground strafing.  Leaving it at 250m is not.  

Benefit: Simply being able to set the convergence according to the plane and save it per plane would be a great convenience. One would simply have to select the plane and not potentially forget to readjust the convergence when switching to another.  

• Upvote 2

Type of improvement: Interface/Quality of life

Explanation of proposals: When measurment units is set to Imperial, the convergence setting in the loadout screen should be in feet/yards and not in meters. 

Benefits: This would make the P-47's/Spitty IX's (and upcoming allied aircraft's) gyro sights easier to use, as we wouldn't have to convert from meters to feet/yards. 

• Upvote 2

Type of improvement: In-Game radio 

Explanation of proposals: Radio transmitter/receiver for aircraft equipped with it for in-game comms. Add hability to tweak frequencies. Quality of the signal or no signal deppending on range and terrain. Ex.: Take a look on Single Radio Standalone feature for DCS.

Benefits: Immersion, option to gather players in comms more realistically.

•  
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Type of Improvement:  Display of thumbnails/preview pictures for custom skins

Explanation of proposal:  The selection screen for "official" skins displays a small thumbnail/preview picture to aid the player in the selection of a skin to use, and it is possible for modders to edit/replace these preview pictures (e.g., as I did when creating a mod with historically-marked German skin variants for some of the official skins).  However, currently there is no such preview picture displayed for "custom" skins, and when I tried to do the same thing for custom skins that I did for the modified official ones I was not able to cause the game to display the custom thumbnails.  I propose/request/suggest that the same or a similar mechanism as already exists for official skins be added to enable the game to display preview pictures for custom skins (or if such mechanism already exists perhaps you could provide some hint/instructions on how modders might trigger it to happen).

Benefits:  There are some wonderful skins being created by the community for IL-2 GB/FC (so many that it is increasingly difficult for players to organize them and find the ones they want), and this would make it much easier and more enjoyable for players to be able to find and select the custom skins that they want to use.

Edited by TG-55Panthercules
  • Upvote 2

A suggestion for the coming "picture in cockpit" feature. Could you make it so it accepts also ASCII files. That way I can mis-use it as a checklist/specs list.  I now have a notepad I have on a stand next to the monitor but that is often to dark to read fast. In X-plane you can load an ascii textfile for notes, and a checklist in ascii the latter gives you 1 line at a time and two buttons to scoll up or down. A sort of knee-board where I can read things while keeping my eyes on the screen.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Type of improvement:   Graphics and ease of use

Explanation of proposals:     In order to perform complex engine management, you must know and understand engine limitations and settings, have your controls set up (key mapped) to effect engine limitations and settings {open radiators, increase power, etc.}, and observe the relevant instruments. In real life, one does this engine management while maintaining control of the aircraft by observation of the horizon (during visual flight conditions) or using the attitude instruments.

In the Great Battles simulation currently, whether using point of view commands on a joystick button. head tracking software like Track IR, snap views, or VR headset, it is very difficult to show the horizon and panel instruments at the same time  in most of the aircraft because of the limited field of view. If you take too long when checking your panel or looking for an instrument and not referencing the horizon, you may start to turn, dive or climb, or even lose complete attitude awareness and go into a spin!

I would suggest a new and additional view command to help with this problem. This Split Screen View would show the default cockpit view on the left and a snap view of the appropriate instrument on the right side on the screen.

Dualscreen.thumb.jpg.e5b4b203f0a88d6a5b8bb5b92e2e22a6.jpg

In the example above, you can see the horizon view (from Pilot head snap position: center, Numpad 5) on the left and the compass (from a preprogramed snap view) on the right. Each side to be centered on a screen  half the width of the current monitors’ screen resolution setting and with each side to be active to be able to see any changes in the instruments or aircraft attitude.

The instrument view on the right would be set up using the mouse and current snap view positioning commands (insert, home, delete, end, page up, and page down) and would be saved with the F10 key command.

At the present time, snap views are labeled by their key commands (keypad 2, keypad decimal, etc.). These new snap views would be labeled by a modifier key plus a keypad key (d + keypad 2 or control key + keypad 8) which would also be the key command to display the split screen view and this would allow two different sets of snap views.

The Split Screen View command should act as a toggle with the split screen view remaining open until the command is repeated under all cockpit and external camera views.

Benefits:   The Split Screen View will permit greater situational awareness and easier simulator control. Game play will be enhanced and enjoyment by the player increased!

• Upvote 1

Type of improvement. Graphics, Gameplay, immersion

Rear Snap view for VR sets

Explanation of  proposal

Puts VR players on a level playing field with TrackIR users.  Forgetting the irrelevant side tracking arguements of reality, it levels the playing field and puts life into the Fighter game encouraging more VR pilots into that game assets. Provides a fighting chance in the air.

Benefits

Joy , levels the playing field, stops baby Jesus from weeping.

Type of improvement: Aircraft Structural Damage under G-loads (positive and negative) and Overspeed.

Explanation of proposals: Aircraft suffer structural damage under Heavy G-loads. The ones implemented in game is not satisfactory. It is possible to dive at 600-700 and pull the stick hard without punishment.

Benefits: difficult to do dangerous manouvers hardly seen IRL.

• Upvote 1

Type of improvement: Possibility to encrypt the msnbin file.

Explanation of proposal: Currently, a downloaded msnbin file can be opened with the mission editor. This is ok for most dogfight type of servers. However, for online campaigns where both sides plan their ground troops etc. movement, the msnbin file needs to be encrypted (not being able to open it in the mission editor) so that players cannot simply check in mission editor where the enemy ground forces are located.

Benefit: Possibility to have online wars that have fog of war -> more realism.

• Upvote 2

Type of improvement: Interface/Graphics

Explanation of proposals:  Virtual Kneeboard.  An editable "notepad" that one sees in game to display navigation or engine management notes.  Fillable text field that can be edited in the mission briefing screen or aircraft loadout screen before one presses "start".  Perhaps the upcoming cockpit photograph function could be used for this. 

Benefits:  Allows VR users to glance down while in VR to see personal navigation and engine management notes.  The VR equivalent of a TrackIR user glancing down at an actual paper notepad.  Thank you! 

Type of improvement: multiplayer 

Explanation of proposals : do not display destroy ground targets to everyone

Displaying destroy ground targets in open message in expert realism multiplayer server for everyone to see is not good choice:
-it gives away enemy position;
-floods message channel and unnecessarily utilize network (this also is appiled to own team -  sometiomes several dozen of messages, if frendly drops big bomb on concentrated ground targets) 

Benefits: fairplay, more realism, better network utilization

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Type of improvement: Adjustable Sights on all aircraft.

Explanation: The recently released aircraft all appear to have adjustable sights for distance and wingspan bar, I realise this may be asking a lot but is there a possibility of seeing this feature as an update to previously released planes? i'd assume it's pretty easily done in the case of the german revi as they all pretty much carry the same sight.

Benefits: Improved gunnery and realism for all, it's a wonderful addition to the newer planes and a feature sadly missed from our clod days.

Apparently I have British Bias, didn't realise the Revi's were fixed, please ignore and thank you for the continued updates!

Edited by Melonfish
  • Upvote 1

Type of improvement:   Manually ordering crew gun positions from cruise or combat mode and vice versa. One additional command to the crew (toggle).

Explanation of benefit:   Lowering the preparation time to fire on enemy planes when under fire. Eliminating possible speed changes (drag) when guns are deployed (dependent on the bomber/type) that possibly could affect your bombsight aiming by changing speed input on random.

Benefits:   More realistic gunner behavior, by deploying your gunners when you expect to be attacked. Some gun positions when deployed into combat mode from cruise position actually induce drag and lower overall speed of a plane. e.g. B-25C had a ventral (lower) turret that, when it was extended reduced the speed by about 15 mph... Not sure if this drag is / will be modeled in the sim though.

Edited by [DBS]TH0R

Type of improvement: Improved weather visuals and effects, i.e. icing, lightning.

Explanation of benefit: More realistic aviation hazards for more immersive game play. Imagine the fun when flying thru cloud and you see ice build up. Also, improving clouds in general would be a way to improve visuals in all scenarios. And weather is an important factor in all aviation, usually ignored by most sims.

Benefits:   More appealing visuals and realism.