Photo

Thread to gather your suggestions

• Please log in to reply
608 replies to this topic

#41 AX2

AX2

Posted 03 August 2013 - 19:56

1) Type of Improvement: Graphics / Immersion / Realism

Explanation of proposals: Add Motion Blur Effect for the pilot in cockpit , maybe over 3,5 or 4 G´s, is better than just the red veil and black veil , only when the limit is reached , ( other things happen to the pilot at mediums G´s )

Benefits: Realism

2) Type of Improvement: Immersion / realism

Explanation of proposals: If you turn over 3,5 or 4 G´s or + you can´t look at the six , For a pilot is very difficult to look at the six at mediums G's , at high G's is impossible to look at six without hurting  the neck. ( If you have the strength to do )

Benefits: Realism

Edited by Mustang, 03 August 2013 - 20:03.

#42 Haggart85

Haggart85
  • Founder

Posted 07 August 2013 - 00:25

I apologize if this has been mentioned before elsewhere, but here's my 2 cents:

Type of Improvement: Communication/Immersion

Explanation of proposal: Have multiple voices for radio transmissions (especially if we're going to have female Russian pilots!). As much as I love 1946, it would be nice if we had several actors record versions of "What the hell, stay with your leader!", "Roger, attacking bandits now.", etc. rather than a simple 1 or 2. Even a simple random pitch adjustment as with OFP/Arma voice transmissions would be a start, IMO.

Benefits: Realism, Immersion, Helps the player feel more like they're flying with people instead of AI robots

#43 I/JG27_Rollo

I/JG27_Rollo
  • Founder

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:58

Type of improvement: Full Mission Editor

Explanation of proposals: Include destroyed vehicles / objects to be placed in the mission editor.

I don't know if this is already in RoF but it would be nice if all the available ground objects (aircraft, tanks, trucks, trains, buildings etc.) could be placed as destroyed objects (e.g. as a separate object or as an option for the original object). This way, mission builders could fill the roads with destroyed columns.

Benefits: More possibilities for mission builders

Fhj.-Fw. Rollo, Einsatzoffizier - Weiße 5
Posted Image
Posted Image

#44 zxwings

zxwings

Posted 10 August 2013 - 05:16

Type of improvement: Stats System ---> Gunnery Accuracy.

Explanation of proposals:

Gunnery Stats be divided into three categories:

A)  Machine Guns, 
 B)  Typical Aircraft Cannons,       - - - [namely, calibres from 20 mm to 30 mm, including 30 mm] 
 C)  Large Cannons.                     - - - [37 mm or larger]

Benefits: For better illustration of the idea, suppose you are flying the P-39. You use the machine guns to spray the bandits at long distances; on the other hand, you aim carefully and shoot sparingly with the lethal 37 mm cannon, and you do it only when close to your targets. Most importantly, one 37 mm hit is tooo different from a .50 or .30 bullet hit. Thus it does not make sense for the stats of the 37 mm cannon to be completely obscured by the stats of the hundreds of machine gun bullets fired. (But that is what happens in IL-2 1946, where cannon shells and machine gun bullets are counted together, to generate one single hit rate.) The division of gunnery stats into 3 categories prevents this, and is more intelligent. 

The same goes for 20 mm and 30 mm cannons.

Further notes:

The server message to a pilot checking his hit rate at air objects can use abbreviations. For instance: 

MG: 7.77%;  TAC: N/A;  LC: 20.00% (1 hit);  

or
       MG: 6.66%;  TAC: 20.00% (3 hits);  LC: N/A. 

(By "N/A" is meant that that type of weapon is not equipped on his aircraft. An alternative would be to drop such an empty component altogether from the message.)

-
Additionally, if having three categories is deemed a bit complicated, perhaps two of them would be concise enough:

A)  Machine Guns,          - - - [MG]
  B)  Aircraft Cannons.      - - - [AC]

-

Edited by zxwings, 02 November 2016 - 15:37.

#45 LG1.Farber

LG1.Farber
  • Founder

Posted 10 August 2013 - 07:22

Type of improvement: Multiplayer Statistics (stats)

An integrated statistic sytem that servers can present for players to chek their stats.  Also the option to create multiple stats and switch between them and continue building upon them.  For example, the server might be opn in the week and that is one set of stats, but on saturday the server runs a campaign and so adds to a different set of stats each weekend...  Once the campaign finishes the stats are put to one side for refrence and a new campaign might start with a fresh set of stats.

Stats should include who shot down who, and in the case of mutiple attackers a way to determine who did the most damage.  Also a %hit stat would be nice if possible.  Different filters should be able to be applied for see who had the best accuracy, number of kills, kill to death ratio, which bomber pilot destroyed the most targets etc.  Also a squad level stat might be interesting, so everyone with the same tag is automatically grouped together and squadrons can be compared.  Also a way to compare which team, red or blue, compleated the most objectives in a mission or series of missions.

Benefits:

Multiplayer stimulation.  Especially if 3rd party programes will be difficult to implement becasue of anticheat, anti piracy software.

Edited by 5./JG27Farber, 10 August 2013 - 07:22.

BF110forBOS_zpsb7a2c928.jpg

#46 Vogler

Vogler
  • Founder

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:05

Type of improvement: Multiplayer Statistics (stats)

An integrated statistic sytem that servers can present for players to chek their stats.  Also the option to create multiple stats and switch between them and continue building upon them.  For example, the server might be opn in the week and that is one set of stats, but on saturday the server runs a campaign and so adds to a different set of stats each weekend...  Once the campaign finishes the stats are put to one side for refrence and a new campaign might start with a fresh set of stats.

Stats should include who shot down who, and in the case of mutiple attackers a way to determine who did the most damage.  Also a %hit stat would be nice if possible.  Different filters should be able to be applied for see who had the best accuracy, number of kills, kill to death ratio, which bomber pilot destroyed the most targets etc.  Also a squad level stat might be interesting, so everyone with the same tag is automatically grouped together and squadrons can be compared.  Also a way to compare which team, red or blue, compleated the most objectives in a mission or series of missions.

Benefits:

Multiplayer stimulation.  Especially if 3rd party programes will be difficult to implement becasue of anticheat, anti piracy software.

+1

Upon that it would be good to export this data into some external xml file or mysql datbase so we could make use of it for single or campaign events. We could  publish theme on web server and eventually use it as background for mission planning etc... That would bring a lot of help... For the moment we are just struggling to get stats out as there is no efficient documentation for IL2 Cliffs of dover   .  

#47 csThor

csThor
  • Founder

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:59

Type of Improvement: Privacy Settings for stats

Explanation of proposals: A lot of people don't care for personal data of any kind being stored online. While this is a key part of BoS there should be a user setting to decide how much of his data one wishes to "make public". With several steps - public, friends (or squad), private - a variety of settings should be doable. I, personally, would set this to private no matter what.

Benefits: People's worries about privacy issues would be lessened. Mine certainly would.

Edited by csThor, 10 August 2013 - 12:59.

image.jpg

#48 I/JG27_Zimmi

I/JG27_Zimmi
  • Founder

Posted 10 August 2013 - 14:19

Type of Improvement: Various types of "Abschussmarkierungen" for AI and human planes / individual skins

Explanation of proposals: It has been stated for several times now, that the BoS offline campaign is a central element of the game. Therefore it would be logical to represent the pilots (not only human player but also AI) achievements on the aircraft, as it was done in reality. Imagine flying a combat mission, seeing other planes with more or less Abschussmarkierungen participating. It gives you more intense feeling of being part of a campaign if you see IL-2 or He-111 with painted tanks or ships on their fuselage / rudder than just a clone of one skin placed on 20 aircraft.

There could be a random selection for AI planes or if possible, the real kill number during the campaign. (Don't know if you can log AI's missions as well).

It would be also great if human pilots have the choice of selecting which type of kill marking is painted on the planes.

Benefits: Increased immersion

Attached Thumbnails

• abschuss.jpg

Edited by I/JG27_Zimmi, 10 August 2013 - 14:20.

Gruppenkommandeur

Olt. I/JG27_Zimmi

www.jagdgeschwader27.de

#49 Lord_Haw-Haw

Lord_Haw-Haw

Posted 10 August 2013 - 15:34

Type of improvement: Your plane shot down or crashes with pilot dead zero points

Explanation of proposal: With this implimented, crazy things like ramming or kill stealing

would be reduced to a very small minority, as no gain of points is possible. This would prevent

many hostile arguments and feuds that have been seen on most online flight sims. Also a greater

interest would be set into getting home with your plane, than just despritely trying to down that last

enemy at all costs, reguardless if it costs your virtual life. As this kamikazie attitude did exist, but by far

not that common as seen on online flight sim games.

After all it is entertainment and not a real war.

Der immense Usus exterritorialer Vokabeln in der germanistischen Linguistik ist mit dezidiertem Fanatismus auf das maximale Minimum zu reduzieren!

#50 Lord_Haw-Haw

Lord_Haw-Haw

Posted 10 August 2013 - 15:43

Type of Improvement: Various types of "Abschussmarkierungen" for AI and human planes / individual skins

Explanation of proposals: It has been stated for several times now, that the BoS offline campaign is a central element of the game. Therefore it would be logical to represent the pilots (not only human player but also AI) achievements on the aircraft, as it was done in reality. Imagine flying a combat mission, seeing other planes with more or less Abschussmarkierungen participating. It gives you more intense feeling of being part of a campaign if you see IL-2 or He-111 with painted tanks or ships on their fuselage / rudder than just a clone of one skin placed on 20 aircraft.

There could be a random selection for AI planes or if possible, the real kill number during the campaign. (Don't know if you can log AI's missions as well).
It would be also great if human pilots have the choice of selecting which type of kill marking is painted on the planes.

Benefits: Increased immersion

+1 on that, as there are many examples where one sees those kind of kill markings.

Here two Japanese ones:

Spoiler

Der immense Usus exterritorialer Vokabeln in der germanistischen Linguistik ist mit dezidiertem Fanatismus auf das maximale Minimum zu reduzieren!

#51 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • Founder

Posted 13 August 2013 - 14:57

Type of improvement: Multi Player Communication 

Explanation of proposals: Add "Chat" check box to list of players on the stats page.  Using <Alt> <Enter> will send text entered in the chat box only to players checked off on the stats page.  Also add "Blocked" check box to prevent player from seeing chat from blocked players.

Benefits: Allows players to reduce distracting chatter in the chat box and direct their own comments more effectively.

#52 I/JG27_Zimmi

I/JG27_Zimmi
  • Founder

Posted 13 August 2013 - 16:13

Type of improvement: Miscellaneous

Explanation of proposals: A central game element of BoS is intended to be the campaign mode. This means we can in further consequence take the whole thing as some kind of role play. Therefore I suggest illustrating awards and ranking insignias on a pilot’s uniform as alternative or addition to the general presentation as it is known from RoF.

Well, not all awards were put on the jacked, so there would perhaps be the need for an additional award list or overview, but the "highest" awards should be placed on the uniform (which is visible for all other pilots).

Attached you find a screenshot of our pilot’s documents as an example how it could look like.

Benefits: Immersion

Attached Thumbnails

• vorschlag_raenge.jpg

Edited by I/JG27_Zimmi, 13 August 2013 - 16:21.

Gruppenkommandeur

Olt. I/JG27_Zimmi

www.jagdgeschwader27.de

#53 Laser

Laser
  • Founder

Posted 15 August 2013 - 16:55

Type of improvement: Easy automation of 3rd party mission generator programs

(this is based on my small experience with the Rise of Flight mission format)

Make it easy for 3rd party mission generators to automate mission creation.

For example, if plane A has a specific loadout: 1 - bullets for guns, 2 - bombs, 3 - rockets, but plane B has possible loadouts 1 - bombs, 2 - photo recon equipment etc., then it is hard for 3rd party programs to put "loadout" into an interface, and keep it updated after a new plane is released, in a new simulation patch. So, either specify, when coding, 1 - bullets, 2 - bombs etc. for ALL planes (keep same number, if possible, for a loadout type), or better yet, at every simulator patch, keep updated a list with possible loadout codes for each planes (which means, also for new planes which may appear in that game patch).

Another example (also from Rise of Flight) - if the skin path for a certain plane has a name (e.g. /skins/SopwithPup etc., then the path for the preview .dds should have a consistent naming (e.g. swf/planes/SopwithPup), or every simulator patch should update also a list of matching names between the skin file and the preview .dds file. 

From these two example, i believe it is clear what generalization i have in mind. So, if it is possible, the proposal is something like this:

Each simulator patch should keep outside the encrypted, packed data, useful information for 3d mission automation, about each plane, the same information which is used anyway internally by the simulator (- e.g. the list of all released planes, the list of available planes for the player, loadout types and their codes for each plane, skin path, preview path and anything that can be used in addition to this - the more, the better).

Benefits:

1. makes it easy for 3rd party mission generation programs to automate things

2. keeps the 3rd party program in working condition AFTER a new simulator patch is released (because the 3rd party programs reads certain files which are kept updated)

I believe, if you make it easy for the 3rd party developer, in the long run it also makes thing easy for the in-the-house developer, because things are more consistent in this way. 

All this, IMHO, and thanks for reading

#54 ITA_Italo

ITA_Italo
  • Founder

Posted 16 August 2013 - 18:15

Type of improvement: FM (on ground)

Explanation of proposals: Change the way of represent the bumping movements during the taxiing by matching the real ground profile (a loagritmic profile RoF style or something like that) and not a repetitive rhythm in CoD style. :(
Benefits: More accurate and immersing feeling thanx to better representation of typical slow bumps during taxiing visibles in many b/w movies of the WW2. ABOVE ALL Correction of the bad "cycling effects" of the movements on ground.

Really hope it will be correct soon and will not remain the same visible on theLive Stream. Should be a sin on this wonderful sim. ;) 

Edited by 150GCT_Italo, 16 August 2013 - 18:22.

#55 Dakpilot

Dakpilot
  • Founder

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:24

Type of improvement: Gameplay-Miscellaneous

Explanation of proposals: Include an additional map with release. A small dogfight fantasy type map such as "inspiration Island" from ROF, this map, almost as is, It could double as a Baltic Sea/Gulf of Finland Island

Benefits: (guessing here) Due to BOS using the ROF engine  it should be easy to incorporate into the new sim and not tie up too many resources, obviously some changes would have to be made to airfields ETC. and maybe a little re-texturing to bring to the new standards, but I would think it can be worth it to have an extra bonus area to fly in, outside of the Career/Campaigns, Also a change from the snowy/icy Stalingrad season, and FW190's and such can fly here without historical problems :)  (obviously I have no idea the realities of adding such a map to work in BOS, is just a thought)

i5 3570K at 4,46Ghz//H100i//P8Z77-I-DELUXE//16GB 1600mhz ram//Galax GTX970 4GB EXOC//Samsung Evo840 128gbSSD x2//LG 49" 3840 X 2160//MSFFB2// Saitek throttle quadrant//Win10-64bit

#56 150GCT_Veltro

150GCT_Veltro
  • Founder

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:50

Type of improvement: Graphical

Explanation of proposal: Improve the covered sky

Benefits: In RoF it could be graphically ok because we did usually fly under the covered sky, but in BoS we'll fly at higher altitudes because of more powerfull engines. It's not looking good enough now for BoS, people will notice it and complain about it, be sure.

Edited by 150GCT_Veltro, 17 August 2013 - 11:52.

planka_blue.png

#57 RAF74_Winger

RAF74_Winger
  • Founder

Posted 19 August 2013 - 07:27

Type of improvement: Graphics/Immersion/Gameplay

Explanation of proposals: Allow mission builders to create more than one cloud layer - 2 or 3 would be plenty - and more than one cloud type.

Benefits: Allows a more realistic depiction of weather in the game and adds more complexity to the choice of operating altitudes depending on the mission flown.

Edited by RAF74_Winger, 19 August 2013 - 07:28.

#58 6S.Manu

6S.Manu
  • Founder

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:29

Type of improvement: Game Play
Explanation of proposals: I try again with an old suggestion of mine for CloD, but this time more balanced for the developer.

Visual acuity changes with the distance of the target. Fighter pilots do not passively wait for targets to spot in front of them, but they actually scan the sky with a method who requires time.

It's all in the document below.
The idea is to limit the contact spotting (the engine doesn't draw the dot/3dmodel) to a narrow area in the center of the camera (pilot's vision): this area's size is related to the distance and size of the target.

The developer should simulate peripherical vision by glimps out of this area and shrink its size if the pilot is looking at the sun (the sun behind the pilot was a tactical advantage that combat flight sims do not stress enough).

This should be an option, of course.

http://www.scribd.co...h-in-Air-Combat

Benefits: This target spotting system would improve realism:

1. Ambushes could be more frequent, as the scanning pilot can miss an area there the enemy really is, and this one can attack it unnoticed: this would extremely improve the gameplay balancing the plane performance since the worse plane can still ambush the best one. Today, with pilots of the same skill/experience, it's all on the plane performance.
  2. More eyes are need to scan the sky effectively: because of this teamplay is more important, and lone wolves are going to suffer.
  3. Since the scanning area is narrow, pilots would be forced to fly in close formation, so there is a minor chance to be spotted.

Edited by 6S.Manu, 19 August 2013 - 09:38.

A whole generation of pilots learned to treasure the Spitfire for its delightful response to aerobatic manoeuvres and its handiness as a dogfighter.

It is odd that they had continued to esteem these qualities over those of other fighters in spite of the fact that they were of only secondary importance tactically.

Thus it is doubly ironic that it's reputation would habitually be established by reference to archaic, non-tactical criteria. - Darwin Spitfires by Anthony Cooper

#59 1PL-yello-1Esk

1PL-yello-1Esk
  • Founder

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:52

Type of improvement: Game Play/Immersion

Explanation of proposals: Add turning off and on fov changing during mission to difficulty settings. Player would choose preferable fov before mission begins. At least for fighter pilots.

Benefits: Immersion ans realism. I know that monitor display is not equal to real eyes, but it was always strange to me when figher pilot could use binoculars.

#60 AX2

AX2

Posted 22 August 2013 - 16:40

Type of improvement: Game Play/Immersion

Explanation of proposals: Add turning off and on fov changing during mission to difficulty settings. Player would choose preferable fov before mission begins. At least for fighter pilots.

Benefits: Immersion ans realism. I know that monitor display is not equal to real eyes, but it was always strange to me when figher pilot could use binoculars.

6Galland5819.jpg192785d1329365099t-gallands-bf-109s-adol

Maybe offtopic, The  Luftwaffe aces  used exclusive equipment for them

Adolp  Galland  ( BF 109 E and the "binocular" )   :biggrin:

Also Galland  use 20mm cannon in the wings of his BF 109 F4,   ;)

With some research, the Luftwaffe " mods" are endless   :)

Edited by Mustang, 22 August 2013 - 16:47.

#61 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:22

Another suggestion. This is something I run into when making longer missions for RoF.

Type of improvement: Multiplayer / Single Player - Mission editor

Explanation of proposal: 1. Icons (and their descriptions) on the mission map can be spawned and deleted. 2. Briefing description can be changed during the mission (for both sides). This will allow to communicate new tasks & objectives during a running mission. This means missions can run for hours on end without getting boring and players have a feel of an ongoing war. The tasks can be chosen ad random (existing functionality).

Benefits: The ability to create long missions where different tasks are announced over time will greatly improve replayability of missions (mostly for online) and will keep players interested much longer.

Edited by SYN_Vander, 29 August 2013 - 09:22.

#62 6S.Manu

6S.Manu
  • Founder

Posted 04 September 2013 - 13:26

Type of improvement: Multiplayer

Explanation of proposals: The private server configuration should also include the minimum graphics settings. The client needs to fulfill these otherwise he can't join that misson.

Benefits: In most games, both arcade or simulation, players are used to lower the graphic quality of the game to improve their competitiveness. For example there are people flying with lower screen resolution, but also they decrease the cloud's detail resulting in different visibility between them and the other players. In Arma there are guys playing without bushes, shadows, with few trees and poor landscape textures all around. 

Limiting the minimum settings you will remove these "smart guys".

PS: Most of the time when they say "my PC can run it only at minimum settings" they are lying. If they are going to used TiR, HOTAS and pedals it's sure that they can afford a good PC. If not then they can choose another server with free settings.

Edited by 6S.Manu, 04 September 2013 - 13:28.

A whole generation of pilots learned to treasure the Spitfire for its delightful response to aerobatic manoeuvres and its handiness as a dogfighter.

It is odd that they had continued to esteem these qualities over those of other fighters in spite of the fact that they were of only secondary importance tactically.

Thus it is doubly ironic that it's reputation would habitually be established by reference to archaic, non-tactical criteria. - Darwin Spitfires by Anthony Cooper

#63 9./JG54_Stray

9./JG54_Stray

Posted 07 September 2013 - 14:34

Type of improvement: aircraft side numbers

Explanation of proposal: ability to manually add your aircraft's side number in online mission preparation screen

Benefits: Based on my long-term experience with IL-2 1946, pilots in many squads fly their squad skin on them, same for the whole squad. All the squad flies same colours with some parts individually assigned to each pilot, one being a side number. 1946 does not support selecting the side number in online mission, that's why community skins are added daily with ability to tweak them for one's liking. Knowing BoS may not support community skins at start, I request the ability to manually add a side number for an aircraft in mission preparation screen, to be able to identify one's squaddie in the air, before squad skins are supported and even when they are, this option should be enabled, so we don't have to add numbers on 20 skins for whole squad, just make a generic squad skin with markings and numbers added through the game.

Offline mission: default number or ability to use own, custom skin

Online mission: ability to use custom skin or ability to add side number pre-flight.

Ability to add "Geschwaderzeichen" ( squad insignia ) on the aircraft pre-flight, would be a blast, too. I'd expect the game designers to put it in historically accurate spot on the aircaft and the use of font specific to the faction ( in terms of side number ), or skip it completely, allowing the community to do as they please with skinning, allowing net caching for skins in online gaming.

Thank you.

Edited by JG26_Stray, 07 September 2013 - 14:39.

I want my money back. This is not what was promised in pre-order. Stick to your declarations..EDIT: got my cash back. You keep clapping clap clap clap... Welcome to CloD2, double the failure of the first one.

#64 Chill31

Chill31
  • Founder

Posted 08 September 2013 - 21:23

Type of improvement: Realism

Explanation of proposals:  Limit pilot head twist to 170 degrees rotation and add head shake with more than 155 degrees of head twist.  In real life, it is not so easy as just twisting your head 180 degrees like an owl to check six.  If needed, I can show video in WWI and WWII aircraft of how much view is accurate.

Benefits:  Simulates the difficulty of checking the six oclock tail position in real life. 

#65 =CAF=Khiron

=CAF=Khiron
  • Founder

Posted 10 September 2013 - 23:35

Type of improvement: Dynamic campaign Generator

Explanation of proposals:/Benefits:  Alright, In RoF we dont have a serious dynamic campaign system that allows pilots to truly affect the campaign. It is a single mission editor without the power to link the missions together or create any kind of dynamic playing field. It seems to me that true Immersion can be achieved by allowing a buildable setting for the pilots where the actions of the pilots cause positive and negatives in our game world. This puts the players directly responsible for the environment and the changes therein. Example, John Doe LOVES to bomb stuff...hes bombed 200 enemy targets in the last 3 days...These factories are no longer producing supplies as they are now rubble. This allows for attrition (the enemy has less supplies to fight with) and a level of realism that is really gut wrenching. Thus, John Doe's heroic actions have won this region for his side as the enemy can no longer sustain its position...they must retreat. Now, Instead of having to create another single mission with thousands of targets for John, we have but to log in to our persistent campaign setting to see that the enemy forces have indeed been pushed back BUT they are digging in ferociously and shuttling reserves to the front for a push to regain the region. This also gives us a really great reason to have bombers and ground attack specialty aircraft as they are imperative to winning an actual war. The last point I would add here is that in an environment where every bullet, every machine, and every pilot are a finite rescource the players take the game MUCH more seriously. Knowing that every action has a consequence in game terms also tends to weed out the less mature pilots. That being said, Im just suggesting this for those who want it to be in here...it should be. Those that dont care for that level of realism need not play that mode however I do believe it should be available in this simulator.

#66 Caudron431Micha

Caudron431Micha
  • Founder

Posted 11 September 2013 - 13:06

Type of improvement: Gameplay/Missions realism/Flyable aircraft type

Explanation of proposals: Logistics should be present in the game IMHO. Flying Ju52/ LI2 to supply airbases or ground forces will make the whole game even more interesting. Reward forcargo pilots would also be great.

BoS is about what happened historically at Stalingrad: the German air forces had to try to supply the Kessel by air, so it would also give a good reflection of what air war was there.

Benefits: Better representation of the battle, it will make the whole game far more interesting (mission diversity) and will maybe bring a lot of "civilian only" flyers, and other non "fighter only" pilots in the game.

Edited by RegRag1977, 11 September 2013 - 13:09.

#67 JtD

JtD
  • Founder

Posted 11 September 2013 - 13:30

Type of improvement: Education

Explanation of proposals: Upload whatever part of your sources you can to share it with the community - many people in this community are interested in history and aircraft and would certainly appreciate it. It doesn't have to come for free, it could be part of a bonus, separate module to buy, access given only if the game is bought or something like this.

Benefits:

For the customer, it's information, probably high quality, first hand. Great thing to have. Always.

For the company, I would suppose that in the long term you may be able to convert more occasional players into die-hard flight sim enthusiasts and hobby historians, which in the long term will be good for business. A simulation will be more interesting if you know more about the background. According to one US study some years ago, Il-2 was the game in that study that was played by the least number of players, but these few players played more hours per week than anybody else. Sources might be a good way to get more people to waste their time like that.

For both, there's a good chance that good sources will inspire more third party content, for instance historical campaigns.

Edited by JtD, 11 September 2013 - 13:33.

Facts are the best defence against the experts.

#68 Crow

Crow
  • Founder

Posted 12 September 2013 - 13:36

Type of improvement: Graphics

Explanation of proposals: Object (primarily aircraft) Draw Distance needs to be increased to suit WWII aircraft sizes.

Benefits: Currently the draw distance is capped in the RoF engine at 8500m. However, the naked eye sees an angular resolution of about 4 arcminutes, which corresponds to about 1.2 m per 1 km. If we look at the size of a medium bomber like the He-111, whose wingspan is 22.6 m, it should be visible from approximately 18.8 km away. This is the distance the average human eye would spot it given no other factors. For realism's sake rendering should begin at least at this point with a single pixel. If possible, different sized aircraft could have this initial pixel appear at different distances.

This has larger implications than just realism though, because aerial combat has a very important emphasis on spotting and retaining sight of the enemy. If aircraft are unable to be spotted until they are much closer than in reality, combat will suffer from much more spotty and random engagements. In multiplayer, this would be represented by a lack of action where there would otherwise be combat taking place. This hampers fun in online dogfighting. Because of this implication--and if performance dictates it as necessary--it would be acceptable to have only aircraft rendered at these distances, but not other objects. The effect on bombing/ground tactics is not as pronounced as it is for air combat.

"Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth

And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;"

#69 AX2

AX2

Posted 12 September 2013 - 17:08

Crow good post !
But I have some doubts
We always see one or two pixels ( black or gray colour) in the sky but..

The aircraft camouflage is  unuseful.? The Camouflage works only  for low fly?
Looking at the sky...
a gray painted aircraft can be seen just as easy as  painted green aircraft ?
Some camouflages were painted  only to hide your aircraft in the sky. ( would be good to have that )

Edited by Mustang, 12 September 2013 - 17:16.

#70 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf
  • Founder

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:17

Type of improvement: Gameplay 

Explanation of proposals:  to don’t feature ambient flak in the missions or for the mission builders; this in order to give freedom for the mission builders to create a realistic flak environment.

Benefits: since flack plays a fundamental role in the dynamics of air combat, and I would say almost as important as the airplanes themselves, to don’t feature ambient flak in the game will give total freedom for the mission builders to create a dynamic and realistic environment for their missions. 

With ambient flak we never know what’s really going on and the battle space becomes “flat” and far and near is almost the same, but with real flak the battle space gains dimension. 
With ambient flak we are always reminded by it that we are in a game, but with real flak we forget that we are in a game.
With ambient flak we are always trying to figure out if given flak cluster is an enemy plane or just a random act from the game engine, but with real flak, where there's smoke, there's fire.
With ambient flak we roam over enemy territory like we are at home and the map becomes a fast food environment; with real flak we pay a price over enemy lines and we know exactly where is “home”.

And the list goes on.

-- Win7 64, 2560X1080, i7-3770K, Assassin II, GA-Z77X-D3H, GTX 1060 GamingX 6GB, G-Skill 16GB 2400Mhz, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, Corsair RM-750W, Carbide 300R, G940, TrackIR 5 --

#71 I./JG1_Pragr

I./JG1_Pragr
  • Founder

Posted 18 September 2013 - 11:37

Type of improvement: Multiplayer

Explanation of proposal: Scoring points for escorting CAS/Bomber planes 

Benefits: Motivate and appreciate pilots to fly inf support of CAS/Bomber planes. Like in reality, successful escort is one of the most complicated job fighter pilots can do. But in most (if not all) sims there is absolutely no reward for such useful task. Additionally, this could help tighten the gap between the fighter and bomber group which seems to me like common problem because many (at least according to my experience) bomber pilots feel they are only flying drones for fighters on MP. And they are particularly right.

PS: I posted several suggestions of scoring system improvements in special thread. I pointed out here only the most significant improvement of scoring system itself (from my point of view). 

Edited by II./JG1_Pragr, 18 September 2013 - 11:38.

#72 Corsair123

Corsair123
  • Founder

Posted 18 September 2013 - 15:38

Type of improvement: Gameplay/AI

Explanation of proposals: Limit the game AI capabilities so they are equal to players,(having the same rules and limitations) I am thinking about g forces and ability to see 6 o clock.

and maybe random dogfighting skills.

Benefits:  Game would be more realistic and correct.

Edited by Corsair123, 18 September 2013 - 15:39.

#73 Corsair123

Corsair123
  • Founder

Posted 18 September 2013 - 15:50

Type of improvement: Gameplay/immersion

Explanation of proposals: Possibility to escape crash landed aircraft, and with different animations depending on pilots injury.

this could be a god way to end missions to, walk out of the aircraft to end mission with different types of animation depending on injury or mission succes/failure

Benefits: better immersion, feeling of being there.

#74 tomgor

tomgor
  • Founder

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:11

Bailing out and parachute control

Type of improvement: Gameplay / Education / Control

Explanation of proposals: This is proposed that the bailing procedure gets more complicated and saving life with a parachute becomes more difficult than just single key stroke. First of all, for better understanding I would like to remind the procedures for bailing out.

A. Small aircraft - crew members do not have to move any lateral distance to get to the exit door/latch: 

1. Disconnect radio/intercom cables and oxygen masks hose.
2. Open cockpit canopy.
4. Unlatch seat belts
5. Leave the cockpit by use of muscles or g-force (positive or negative as required - normal/inverted fligth).
6. Pull the ripcord when clear of airplane to avoid entanglement, but having height above ground in mind, too. Also, in certain cases long freefall with much delayed opening of parachute canopy would be advised.

B. Big aircraft - crew members have to move a lateral distance to get to the exit door/latch and some of them may have their chest pack parachutes detached from their harnesses (which are worn all the times) and stowed in special boxes near their stations. Some of them may not have their seatbelts fasten during certain activities:

1. Disconnect radio/intercom cables and oxygen masks hose.
2. Unlatch seat belts if used.

3. Reach for chest pack parachute and clip it on your harness - in certain cases (and sometimes before point 2)
4. Move to emergency exit latch - in certain cases
5.  Open the exit door/release cockpit canopy (in certain cases before point 2)
6. Leave the cabin by use of muscles or negative g-force (or positive depending on situation - anyway acting in the proper direction to assist with leaving)
7. Pull the ripcord when clear of airplane to avoid entanglement, but having height above ground in mind, too. Also, in certain case long freefall with much delayed opening of parachute canopy would be advised.

Forgetting something (like forgeting to clip a chest pack to the harness) or doing all but in wrong sequnce may have bad consequences.

Each action should take a certain, reasonable minimum time.

High g-force, side force, centrifugal force (what vaues? yet to be proposed) may make moving to emergency exit/latch and exiting the aircraft impossible.

Opening parachute too close to the airframe may result in entaglement or burning of parachute canopy and/or lines, when the airframe is on fire.

Speed in freefall, accelarations, decellerations, trajectory and time/distance of parachute extraction and inflation,  should be as close as possible to real thing. 

Airspeed limit for parachute deployment should be introduced, so in case of leaving airplane in high speed dive, a freefall of at least 3-5 seconds, depending on aircraft speed on leaving, is required to reduce airspeed of parachutist to speed below the limit. If it is exceeded, the canopy or suspension lines should fail during canopy inflation. 250 km/h is proposed.

Once the parachute is open, an aviatior has some limited control over the descent. He/she can pull down risers to perform slip in one of four directions. For example pulling two front risers approx 50 cm down will cause vertical speed to increase by approx. only 0.1 m/s (e.g. from 5.0 m/s to 5.1 m/s) but it will also cause the parachute to move forward with lateral speed of approx 1 m/s (in reference to air, not ground, of course). Pulling down 2 left side risers will cause slip to the left.

It is also possible to perform deep slip when 2-3 suspenssion lines are pulled down much more, like 2-3 meters, causing significant deformation of canopy, which should extend not more than to the apex. In such deep slip the descent rate may increase even twice. Very useful when wind is blowing an aviator towards enemy lines. Also aviator can twist the risers to turn his body under the parachute so he is facing in the direction of lateral travel (useful for landing, to avoid hitting something hard with back of head). Both slips and twisting the risers requires physical strenght and should be used wisely, to avoid running out of energy before reaching the ground. After landing pulling on lower suspennsion lines would cause canopy to collapse and avoid dragging. 

Therefore it is proposed that there is more than just 1 or 2 keys for the whole bailing out, freefall and parachute ride. The following keys could be considered:

Key #1. Disconnect radio/intercom cables/oxygen hose

Key #2 Clip chect pack parachute to the harness (unless backpack or seatpack is used)

Key #3. Move to emergency exit door (only in case of bigger airplanes requiring such step). High g-force, side force, centrifugal force may make it impossible.
Key #4. Unlatch seat belts
Key #5. Use muscles to exit the cockpit/cabin (not always needed, when g-force can help, negative or positive depending on situation).
Key #6. Pull the ripcord in the best possible moment, considering circumstance, but not later than 2-3 seconds before hitting ground.

Key #7,8,9,10 To perform normal slips in one of 4 directions.

Key #11 To perform a deep slip

Key #12,13 To twist risers to turn body under parachute (round full canopy can not be turned) towards direction of travel (in reference to ground)

Key #14 to pull lower susspension lines to avoid dragging.

Certain aircraft controls keys, buttons, axies can be used for some of the above purposes, when aviator has already left the cockpit/cabin (for example joystick primary 2 axies for normal slips, and rudder for twisting risers).

Keys #1 and #4 could be tied together.

Keys #3 and #5 could be tied together.

Of course, the whole jump should be observed from first person perspective.

Benefits: More realism, better immersion, better uderstanding of real bailing out procedures, as well as demands, dangers and risks associated with bailing out. Educational aspect include also learning the need for frequent bail out procedure drill rehearsal - exactly as in real life.

Having peformed approx 100 jumps with conventional round canopy parachutes in the begining of my skydiving career many years ago, I would be happy to assist and provide advice if needed on that subject.

Edited by tomgor, 20 September 2013 - 11:22.

More Multiengine Airplanes, AoA & Slip Angle Virtual Indicators, RDF navigation, RDF & Lorenz instrument approaches, and realistic Bailing out, Freefall and Parachute Ride for the BoS!

#75 tomgor

tomgor
  • Founder

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:28

AoA and Slip Angle Virtual Indicators

Type of Improvement: Education

Explanation of proposals: This is proposed to add an option (at lower than max hard core level) for:

1. AoA virtual indicator, and

2. Slip Angle virtual indicator,

- both very important flight instruments, especially AoA indicator, although usually non existing in WW2 airplanes.

Both may have a very basic form of virtual needle and round or semi-round face (gauge) HUD or EFIS style. Would be good if AoA indicator face has critical AoA value (for given flap setting) marked on the scale. Digital values could be an option.

Benefits: Players can better understand their aircraft and some of their limitations, as well as influence of certain factors on aircraft performance. It would be particularly beneficial during new aircraft familiarization training, advanced training, and flight testing of various kinds, as well as for the very initial BoS flight training to undestand the very basic concept of flying. A young and/or new to flying player, who would like to continue his/her aviation education and follow real airplane pilot career, would benefit from learning of AoA importance from the very beginning, factors having influence on AoA, and AoA-based flying concept (which is not so well known as it deserves) - which may one day save his/her life. Many pilots (and their passengers) died in real world as a result of their lacking AoA knowledge and/or being not aware of the AoA they flew with just before the accident (see recent crash of AF 447: http://en.wikipedia....ance_Flight_447). As a pilot of AoA-indicator equipped turbine-powered aircraft I could add that had I had my way, I would have required all airplanes to be equipped with AoA indicator and woud have required all pilots to be trained in AOA-based flying concept for all manouvering, especially dynamic one at lower altitudes and with airspeeds <1.5*Vs, and particularly for landings. The AoA will warn of stall/spin danger and give information on the Lift Reserve (another important concept associated with AoA), no matter what is the aircraft weight nor g-load, because critical AoA does not vary (stay constant) with weight or g-load changes. AoA is simply the most important flying instrument for this purpose, while of course an ASI is still needed, mostly to obey airspeed limitations like Vne, Vlo, Vle, Vfe, Vmca, etc. and for navigation purpose. Slip Angle indicator is the only type of indicator (otherwise knows from gliders as a "yaw string") which can show Slip Angle, unlike inclinometer instruments (ball), which show side forces. They are not the same - for example during a flight of a twin engine airplane with one engine out, when the best performance is needed, it is important to have slips eliminated - however it does not equal to ball centered (see: http://en.wikipedia....A_Fig_12-16.PNG). It is also helpful with spin avoidance, together with AoA, especially when it comes unexpected as during turn from base to final.

The simplest AoA indicator in a glider: http://www.dg-flugze...nfaden-4_04.jpg (more on that here: http://www.dg-flugze...d=seitenfaden-e)

A typical yaw string: http://highonadventu...deYawString.jpg

A woolen string showing AoA and Slip Angle was the only, and the most needed and sufficient flight instrument installed on Wright Brothers Flyer back in 1903. 

Such virtual instruments would be also very helpful in the "Rise of Flight".

More Multiengine Airplanes, AoA & Slip Angle Virtual Indicators, RDF navigation, RDF & Lorenz instrument approaches, and realistic Bailing out, Freefall and Parachute Ride for the BoS!

#76 I/JG27_Nemesis

I/JG27_Nemesis
  • Founder

Posted 20 September 2013 - 23:17

Type of improvement:  Control / Gameplay
Explanation of proposals:  Please make the 4x SC50 Bombs of the Bf-109 droppable ONE at a time, not just in pairs like in it was in IL-2 Sturmovik
Benefits: More Fun, more possible Targets, JaBo (Ground Attack) Pilots always felt bad wasting TWO SC50 Bombs on ONE Truck for example...same here for the Ju-87 Stuka SC50 Wing Bombs by the way....

Edited by I/JG27_Nemesis, 20 September 2013 - 23:19.

#77 I/JG27_Nemesis

I/JG27_Nemesis
  • Founder

Posted 20 September 2013 - 23:35

Type of improvement: Interface
Explanation of proposals:  Pay also attention to atmospheric and immersive style of menues and backgrounds for each menu, make it feel immersive and motivating, even more important in career mode. Avoid sterile and cold menus like in the original IL-2 Sturmovik (IMO some of the main weaknesses of the 2001 IL-2 was poor music and sterile cold menus, compared to old Sierra Sims like Red Baron, AOE and AOTP)
Benefits:  Motivation and immersiveness and good FEELING increase when you are running the simulation while you're not actively flying in-game. Some may find it low priority, but it definitely has an impact on the player.

Edited by I/JG27_Nemesis, 20 September 2013 - 23:42.

#78 tomgor

tomgor
  • Founder

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:34

RDF (Radio Direction Finding) Equipment

Type of Improvement: Gameplay / Education

Explanation of proposals: All or at least some friendly air bases should be equipped with RDF equipment. A player would make radio call on appropriate radio frequency for given air base requesting QDM/ODR, and RDF operator would respond providing verbally magnetic bearing TO/FROM the air base (such bearing could be one of 4 classes of quality - from 2 degrees to even more than 10 degrees in worst case - depending on accuracy of the bearing, due to propagation error, reflection, interference, aircraft altitude, etc.), to assist with navigation in difficult weather conditions like low cloud base and/or limited visibility, when navigation by pilotage and dead reckoning is not sufficient nor practical. RDF could be even used as a very primitive, yet quite effective form of instrument approach. To perform such approach, after placing a request to RDF operator, a pilot flies towards the air base, then the pilot must determine moment of overflying the airbase (when bearing TO airbase changes by 180 degrees and loss of signal happens ovehead the station) and fly away from the air base on course opposed to landing course for 2-3 minutes, and then make an 80/260 turn and return to the airfield descending to MDH while continously correcting heading with frequent QDM requests and RDF operator's verbal responses. See: http://www.fosteraer...ew.php?kno_id=9, however for ground-based RDF only, there is no onboard ADF receiver. The only information pilot gets is magnetic bearing TO/FROM station depending on the request QDM/QDR, and such information is provided verbally (via radio) only by RDF operator.

This is in addition to, in accordance with historical facts, that some bigger airplanes, like bombers, should come equipped with operative onboard RDF equipment, assisting crew with navigation - by taking bearings to two or more broadcast stations and plotting the intersecting bearings, the navigator could establish the position of the aircraft. 

Germans had Lorenz beam landing system which BTW could also be simulated in the BoS at at least some of German air bases.

Benefits: Better realism, RDF has been in use since early 1930s. Even though ADF had been already known, it was still a rarity during WW2. RDF was much more popular. It is a radionavigation in its most primitive yet quite helpful form, widely used during WW2. In real life it is obsolete and almost impossible nowadays to get some training, even though some airports still have functioning VDF (VHF Direction Finder).

If it has been already implemented in the BoS - please disregard my suggestion.

#79 Sokol1

Sokol1
  • Founder

Posted 21 September 2013 - 14:48

Type of improvement:  Translate GUI

Explanation of proposals:  give a players possibility to make localized translations of game menus, radios messages, etc. (e.g. for Chinese).

During development of Storm of War I ask for this, they promised put in "promises list"...

In 1946 this is ridiculously easy to do, is just mater of leave  text files accessible (as MOD's allow now). In this series initially are allowed translate radio messages and even voice packs.

In il-2:CloD take me 5 minutes to correct the dumb "Afterburner:ON" (using Keygets.dll) and other GUI "inconsistencies" (unfortunately the programmers dont find my demand on the "list"

so I had to do this as "MOD").

Here is common players do game translations: http://www.tribogame...m/traducoes.php

Benefits: Make the game more accessible for players that they are not fluent in English (or other 3/4 languages include).

Sokol1

Edited by Sokol1, 21 September 2013 - 14:53.

... guns were too quiet when engine is running and speed is high, and there was no "immersion of fire and metal storm in 2 meters aside of me"

#80 Stab/ZG26-Ruhland

Stab/ZG26-Ruhland
  • Founder

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:40

Type of improvement: Full Mission Editor
Explanation of proposals: Realistic limitations to fuel, ammunition and spare parts

When building a map for online playing, the creator can set an amount of available ammo, fuel and spare parts to each individual airfield (or make them unlimited). Everytime a player takes of with a plane, a certain amount of ammo and fuel is removed from the storage. If he lands on his home field, the amount of fuel and ammo remaining in his plane is transfered back to the storage. If his plane was damaged, spare parts are being removed.

Moving trains or convois with trucks could transport these supply goods to the airfields and thus make themselves interesting targets for the enemy. These limitations should be made optional of course.

Benefits: Playing online would be more dynamic and realistic and players would have greater influence. In old Il-2 days we just took off, destroyed the target and returned. There was no need for tactical considerations and plans because nobody felt a difference even if thousands of trucks and trains were destroyed. But in historical terms sufficient supply was, especially in Russia, the backbone and weak spot of both sides.

"In Aikido, we don´t throw our opponent down to earth. We throw the earth down to our opponent." - Morihei Ueshiba

il2forumsignatur.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users