Thread to gather your suggestions

• Please log in to reply
621 replies to this topic

#1 BlackSix

BlackSix
  • Developer

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:36

Welcome

This theme is designed to gather your requests and suggestions. I will regularly review it, compile lists and send them to the project manager. Feedback on your wishes will most likely not. If something is implemented - you'll see this in the game.

Recommended form for registration requests is as follows:

Type of improvement:
Explanation of proposals:
Benefits:

How to make a post?

Think, is whether the offer is reasonable and whether its implementation is possible in principle, and whether it is for other users.
Copy of the above highlighted text in new message window.
Describe your proposal.
If you want to add someone offer simply quote him and describe the addition of the form given above

Type of improvement might be:

1) Graphics
2) Control
3) Damage model
4) Sound
5) Interface
6) Multiplayer
7) Gameplay
8) AI
9) Full mission editor
10) Education
11) Overview
12) Miscellaneous

Any posts not following the above format will be deleted to avoid clutter and help to stay focused.

Please don't write here questions. I will not gather and process this data.

Example of submissions:

Type of improvement: Fairness/Historical accuracy.

Explanation of proposals: Historically accurate ammo load outs on server settings.

Benefits: With the ability to set your own ammo belts players can make lethal setups that have no basis to ones used during ww2. This can be seen as an exploit and realistic servers need to have a preset ammo belt set to stop potential exploits.

Many thanks.

Community Manager 1С Game Studios
Game setup and settings FAQ | Customer Service

#2 rcsuardi

rcsuardi
  • Founder

Posted 12 July 2013 - 13:08

Type of improvement: Game Play / Navigation Flight 

Explanation of proposals: Real Visual Flight (In Hard Mode). I don't want to see an instrument pointing to a fantasy checkpoint in the map, like 109 and other planes was able to do in IL-2 1946. Maybe later, you can add radio navegation like Lorenz, would be great!

Benefits: This will make the flight more immersive, intrument's needles pointing to a fantasy point it's a shot in the reality of the simulator.

#3 Sokol1

Sokol1
  • Founder

Posted 12 July 2013 - 23:55

Type of improvement: Game Play / Navigation Flight 

Explanation of proposals: Map Tools similar one of il-2:CloD - but improved, with ability to permanent draw lines over map (in this is possible drawn only one line), and perhaps a simplified DR-2 and E6-B calculators for time, speed calculations (This ones exist as addon for Flight Simulator). 

Benefits: Improve imersion with ability to player make your own flight plan with waypoints over in game map. I buy this as "scarf". :)

... guns were too quiet when engine is running and speed is high, and there was no "immersion of fire and metal storm in 2 meters aside of me"

#4 Bearcat

Bearcat

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:17

Type of improvement: Gameplay/Immersion
Explanation of proposals: Make it easier for individual skins of aircraft and pilots to be used. GUI selectable as in IL2.
Benefits: Will enhance immersion and foster more personalized squad activities.

IL2sig_T_zps7453d751.png

IL2sig_M_zps81669a11.png

IL2sig_B_zps246d58a5.png

#5 ITAF_Rani

ITAF_Rani
  • Founder

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:09

Type of Improvement: Gameplay / Immersion

Explanation of proposals: Possibility rescue friendly pilot if he was bailed out in enemy territory, by landing close to him .

Benefits: Will enhance immersion and suspance!!

#6 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 14 July 2013 - 16:11

Type of improvement: multiplayer

Explanation of proposal: ability to have your friends join your "single-player" career/campaign for a coop mission.

Benefits: virtual pilots will have the best of both worlds: the story-line of a career/campaign and the company of friends.

#7 Rjel

Rjel
  • Founder

Posted 14 July 2013 - 19:42

Type of improvement: Game play / Immersion

Explanation of proposals: Randomization of missions way points and/or targets therein during repeated offline play. Also having random targets appear after the main mission objectives or way points have been completed.  

Benefits: This would insure re-playability of missions by not knowing when or where targets might appear.

Edited by Rjel, 14 July 2013 - 19:42.

But there never seems to be enough time

To do the things you want to do once you find them...

Time In A Bottle by Jim Croce

#8 I/JG27_Zimmi

I/JG27_Zimmi
  • Founder

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:15

Type of improvement: Gameplay

Explanation of proposal: Extended statistics ???

Gruppenkommandeur

Olt. I/JG27_Zimmi

www.jagdgeschwader27.de

#9 I/JG27_Zimmi

I/JG27_Zimmi
  • Founder

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:22

Type of improvement: Miscellaneous

Explanation of proposal: Indication of hardware input

Benefits: It would be very useful to have an option which allows users to enable the logging of their hardware input. This information could be stored within recorded flight data and later on visualised for the video playback. Background: We use to send recorded flights of various situations to our trainees in order to demonstrate manoeuvres out of the pilots view. However it is rather difficult to impart at which time the rudders and trims are used at which intensity.   

Gruppenkommandeur

Olt. I/JG27_Zimmi

www.jagdgeschwader27.de

#10 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 15 July 2013 - 13:06

Type of improvement: Graphics / Multiplayer

Explanation of proposal: Identification numbers, squadron- or individual markings and marking can be applied as decals on an aircraft instead of being part of a skin

Benefits: 1) No need to create, manage and distribute a huge amount of individual skins to make up realistic flights in a mission. 2) In multiplayer, custom markings/insignia (if allowed by server) can be shared over the network, so no need to download beforehand. 3) Servers can select to not allow fictional skins, but can still allow fictional decals/insignia to keep a certain level of realism. 4) Avoids huge amounts of disk space needed on the client side and/or bandwith costs for 1C Game Studios.

#11 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 15 July 2013 - 13:44

Type of improvement: Gameplay/ Multiplayer

Explanation of proposal: The ability to take the slot of an AI aircraft while a mission is already running.

This can be:

1) During an offline, single mission (single, career or campaign), you have the option to change planes by "spawning" in an existing AI plane. This is also possible if you get shot down so you can continue your mission in another plane. The availability of the option depends on the difficulty level you are playing.

2) During a multiplayer co-op mission a player can join the mission when it is already running and spawn in an existing AI plane. A player logs in, checks the multiplayer list with (co-op) games and picks an interesting scenario. He reads the mission brief, checks how long the mission has been running, chooses a plane and drops right in the mission. If the player leaves the mission before it has ended, the AI will take over again (optional feature). During the mission, the number of real players may vary, but there is always a chance you meet a real player. Players that finish/get shot down can do the same (depending on difficulty level). An extra feature would be to be able to be gunner of an AI plane.

Other necessary features: a) Multiplayer game list shows how long a mission has been running, b) plane slot shows status (on ground/in air/inactive)

Note that this relates to the improvement request by gavagai, which sort of a combination of 1) and 2).

Benefits: 

1) This will increase replay value of missions by a huge amount, because you can try out the same mission in different planes, plus you can continue a mission after a mishap (think flak!). It may be possible to introduce unreliability with this feature so a plane in a flight might encounter a problem and have to turn home. If this happens to the player he can change planes. I always liked this feature in older sims.

2) This is the holy grail of realistic multi player and multiplayer campaigns. There is no need to have people to meet up exactly at the same time to start a scenario. Players can choose how much time they will spend on a mission. Realistic mission scenarios with long duration can be played , but the player does not necessarily have to be there from beginning to end. Players could even opt to take over each others planes.

Popular missions may have a full house, while others will have only one player, but there will be many more (interesting) multiplayer games to choose from than the now common dogfight servers.

For new players, multiplayer will be more accessible.

Edited by SYN_Vander, 15 July 2013 - 13:57.

#12 csThor

csThor
  • Founder

Posted 15 July 2013 - 15:32

Type of improvement: area targets (specified by mission maker / Campaign engine) for medium bombers (and if necessary ground attack aircraft)
Explanation of proposals: In all previous sims there was no provision for area targets for medium bombers and other ground-attack aircraft. This castrates medium bombers whose main job in real life was battlefield interdiction and not close air support as they were forced to do because of the lack of area targets (= zones designated as targets). Especially medium bomber missions were conducted against defined areas (such as roads and railway lines, railway stations and staging areas, supply dumps, headquarters etc).
Benefits: Accurate depiction of the job medium bombers did in WW2. Also allows for accurate medal criteria in offline campaigns.

image.jpg

#13 SYN_Vander

SYN_Vander
  • Tester

Posted 15 July 2013 - 15:47

Type of improvement: AAA barrage
Explanation of proposal: To protect strategic targets, a AAA barrage object can be placed over a target. In a volume of space of 1x1x1 km (or configurable) random AAA explosions occur (not dummy, but real explosions!). The number of explosions/minute should be adjustable. The AAA barrage can be triggered (switched on/off) by an event. The altitude of the AAA barrage can also be adjusted.
Benefits: No need to place a lot of AAA units in the area, thus reducing cpu load. Also, unrealistic AAA "sniping" is also avoided.

Edited by SYN_Vander, 15 July 2013 - 15:48.

#14 79_vRAF_Friendly_flyer

79_vRAF_Friendly_flyer
  • Founder

Posted 15 July 2013 - 19:02

Type of improvement: Gameplay/immersion

Explanation of proposal: To have one skinnable building that can serve as airbase HQ, preferably one with a large sign on the front where skinners can put the squadrons name and emblem. Such a building was available in one of the IL2 mods, allowing mission builders to skin it just as they would one of the aeroplanes.

Benefits: Many online squadrons like to customize squadron skins and markings, and to judge by the reception of the skinnable headquarters, having a home base with the squadrons name on it was popular too. I believe this would be an easy thing to implement, as Jason stated skinning will otherwise work as in ROF.

#15 I/JG27_Zimmi

I/JG27_Zimmi
  • Founder

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:05

Type of improvement: Full Mission Editor

Explanation of proposal: Variable appearance of stationary aircraft

Benefits: Mission designers tend to spend lots of time in setting up marvellous airfields with stationary objects and aircraft. Sometimes I wish the possibilities to change the planes or objects appearance would be larger. Besides the feature to skin stationary planes as it is currently known from IL-2 I could imaging to allow weapons and equipment to be mounted on stationary planes such as drop tanks, gunpods or bombs. This feature could be extended to other stationary objects such as buildings (as proposed similarly by Friendly_flyer) or vehicles.

Gruppenkommandeur

Olt. I/JG27_Zimmi

www.jagdgeschwader27.de

#16 4S_Nero

4S_Nero
  • Founder

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:20

Type of improvement: Graphics

Explanation of proposals: Fictional skin on/off.

Benefits: More historical immersion.

:salute:

QAVnk5LLPrg_zps35d79b41.jpg

#17 I/JG27_Zimmi

I/JG27_Zimmi
  • Founder

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:32

Type of improvement: Full mission editor

Explanation of proposal: Initial damage state of aircraft and objects. Extend the object properties in the FME by a page listing  the major damages that can occur. Planes for instance could be initially placed with control damages, gear or engine failures.

Benefits:  This feature would most likely support mission designers to create thrilling scenarios for both online and offline flights.

Edited by I/JG27_Zimmi, 16 July 2013 - 07:32.

Gruppenkommandeur

Olt. I/JG27_Zimmi

www.jagdgeschwader27.de

#18 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 16 July 2013 - 15:59

Type of Improvement: Full mission editor

Explanation of proposal: The mission editor needs to be easier to learn and use than the mission editor featured in Rise of Flight.

Benefits: More user-made campaigns and multiplayer scenarios.

#19 Mysticpuma

Mysticpuma
  • Founder

Posted 16 July 2013 - 18:59

Type of Improvement:

Graphics/Camera/Replay Options

Explanation of proposal:

Can we have multiple camera angles as-well as the camera shake option?

Here's an example of some imaginative camera angles (please just the camera angles...don't harp on about the game!) that are included in Wings of Prey. The variety of cameras is truly brilliant and a great way to help flight sim movie enthusiasts create new films.

youtube.com/watch?v=ikyjos89drU

Okay, bare with me here as I get to the point please!

The XBOX 360 has the Project Gotham Racing games, the latest version being PGR 4.

After a race (and during), it is possible to enter Photo Mode, and using the in-game editor create some very nice looking screen shots.

Screen shots propagate the game, and are effectively free advertising, as users share the imagery, and then others 'want' the game.

An example of the Photo Mode in PGR can be seen here:

http://gamevideos.1u.../video/id/14689

What chance would there be of seeing this in BoS, and would others like the option?

I think that 777 and 1C are pretty forward thinking, and the option of ntrk's, which could be made into movie was one-such move in the original IL2 series. Maybe a working ntrk to .avi or H.264 could be incorporated?

The reason I suggest a Photo-Mode is that not everyone has access to editing software and yet they do like to keep screen shots and also share them. I realise that playing back an .ntrk or .trk file in the original series allowed you to capture images, but it was then upto the user to edit them outside of the game. I think the addition of in-game editing software would be a great addition and also generate much free publicity and also allow more users to be creative with their screen shots?

Secondly, and I am not sure if this has ever been asked anywhere before; Could the BoS software be used to render larger images than the users screen resolution? I'll explain.

You record your game and get some great moments you want to turn into 'screen art'. Sadly you only have a maximum resolution of 1920x1200 on your monitor (others I know have larger res. but let's talk the majority). So you play back your recording and when you get the shot lined up that you want to make into a screengrab, you can either hit 'Print-Screen' OR what about an option to "Render larger Resolution Image". You then get an option to render upto 4x larger than your current screen resolution and this then gives you a superb almost poster size print to display on your wall....all from an in-game option to allow a large scale render than just current screen-size?

Just imagine the prints hanging around homes and offices, all free advertising for BoS/777/1C and all because they are forward thinking enough to add 'simple' features to allow players to create beautiful images to display?

So Photo-mode.....what do you think? Poster Render Mode...what do you think?

Benefits of all of the above:

Films = Publicity = Sales ;)

Photos/Posters = Publicity = Sales :)

Cheers, MP

#20 Mysticpuma

Mysticpuma
  • Founder

Posted 16 July 2013 - 20:14

Reason:

Graphics/Immersion/Simulation/Credibility

Explanation:

My personal request is some effective or 'authentic' cloud layers, weather and fire/smoke effects. These all add immersion.

I probably harp on about it too much, but this clip shows the minimum I would hope for in a Simulation being produced now. This clip shows 'true' cloud cover, a long draw distance on it and a 3 dimensional feeling of being able to use the clouds to hide in/under. I think a group of aircraft taking off under the clouds would have a great time dogfighting if an exploratory group above, dropped through the cloud cover and then chaos ensues as they fly above and below. I read and heard many reports of 100% cloud cover and currently I am yet to see a game that employs the effect as well as Wings of prey did.

Here's the clip by way of an example:

youtube.com/watch?v=QJF_oPrvNtU

I should add, I appreciate that many hated WoP...I am actually talking about authentic feeling of being involved with the weather effects ;)

Benefits of all of the above:

A proper feeling of being in a true combat environment with true three dimensional tactics required to defend or attack approaching enemy and ground targets due to variable weather conditions.

Further benefits...sales due to the lack of implementation of true weather effects in a previous simulation that probably would be better off not mentioning the name of ;)

Cheers, MP

Cheers, MP

#21 I/JG27_Rollo

I/JG27_Rollo
  • Founder

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:50

Type of improvement: Ecucation / Overview

Explanation of proposals: Improve aircraft references by adding engine, trim, cockpit and basic flight guides for each aircraft.

In Rise of Flight we so far have references about each aircraft encompassing a short description and historical introduction as well as information about aircraft dimensions, engine performance, flight performance, armament etc. which is great.

What's lacking is information about the engine management i.e. "do I have to manually control the radiator/mixture in this aircraft?". At the moment, one has to know this by heart or try it out  (press the button and look if there is something moving in the cockpit).

With BoS introducing more complex aircraft, more of these questions will arise such as: "which rudders can I trim in this aircraft?", "which one is the altimeter?", "does this aircraft have a compressor?", "at which altitude do I have to switch to the next compressor stage?", "what is the best prop pitch for which situation?" etc.

With the limited number of aircraft that BoS is starting with it would be a great chance to enhance the aircraft reference with these information.

Examples of added information could be:

Engine management

> Radiator needs to be controlled? (Yes/No)

> Mixture needs to be controlled? (Yes/No) (100% at sea level; 80% from X meters upwards; 60% from Y meters upwards...)

> Pitch needs to be controlled? (Yes/No) (recommended pitch/RPM for take-off / normal flight / combat)

> Compressor needs to be controlled? (Yes/No) (stage 1 up to X meters; stage 2 up to Y meters...)...

Flight controls

> Landing gear can be retracted? (Yes/No)

> Flaps can be extended? (Yes/No)

> Elevator can be trimmed? (Yes/No)

> Rudder ...

> Aileron ..

Cockpit

> Image of cockpit with all gauges explained...

Benefits: Aircraft will be more accessible. New players as well as players who would like to try out new or unfamiliar aircraft will have an easier time controlling these correctly. One will not have to try out by oneself what engine controls are available or guess the meaning of a gauge by the numbers on it (e.g. if one can't read Russian or German).

Edited by I/JG27_Rollo, 17 July 2013 - 07:54.

Fhj.-Fw. Rollo, Einsatzoffizier - Weiße 5
Posted Image
Posted Image

#22 I/JG27_Zimmi

I/JG27_Zimmi
  • Founder

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:34

Type of improvement: Education / Records    

Explanation of proposal: A feature which allows you to track the flight path of certain (or all) planes when watching a recorded mission. For instance if you enable this feature you see some sort of blue or red trail behind the planes for a certain flight path or time. Perhaps you can also trail the flight path in advance with some sort of more transparent trail.

Benefits:  This would help pilots to understand the larger context of manoeuvres within a dogfight and would be a suitable support for pilots training.

Gruppenkommandeur

Olt. I/JG27_Zimmi

www.jagdgeschwader27.de

#23 I/JG27_Rollo

I/JG27_Rollo
  • Founder

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:04

Type of improvement: Graphics, Gameplay, AI

Explanation of proposals: Make the sun brighter.

Being handicapped by the sun is implemented in RoF to a degree that I don't recall any other game to do.

However I think, it is still not authentic enough as it is not really blinding. You still can look directly into the sun and very well see everything around it. When I go outside now and look into the sun or even near it, my eyes hurt and I can't see a thing.

It might be a good idea to enhance the sun glare for BoS. Of course, the AI should also be affected by this accordingly.

Benefits: Looking into the sun will be closer to reality, tactical positioning in dogfights will become even more important and attacks out of the sun will become more viable thus adding greatly to the immersion of the game.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#24 Bearcat

Bearcat

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:20

Type of improvement: Gameplay/immersion

Explanation of proposal: To have one skinnable building that can serve as airbase HQ, preferably one with a large sign on the front where skinners can put the squadrons name and emblem. Such a building was available in one of the IL2 mods, allowing mission builders to skin it just as they would one of the aeroplanes.

Benefits: Many online squadrons like to customize squadron skins and markings, and to judge by the reception of the skinnable headquarters, having a home base with the squadrons name on it was popular too. I believe this would be an easy thing to implement, as Jason stated skinning will otherwise work as in ROF.

il2fb_2008-07-05_02-33-32-78.jpg  ;)

Type of improvement: Game Play
Allow the pilot to be able to pick any spot in a flight from 1- 4.
Benefits:
Would add to immersion.

IL2sig_T_zps7453d751.png

IL2sig_M_zps81669a11.png

IL2sig_B_zps246d58a5.png

#25 I/JG27_Zimmi

I/JG27_Zimmi
  • Founder

Posted 18 July 2013 - 17:49

Explanation of proposals: Extended / dynamic mission briefing:

Extended briefing:

The briefing screen should be feature the following structure:

1. General introduction for both sides (VVS / LW) in which for instance the present situation of the ongoing battle is briefly and overall mission objective is roughly described.
    This section contains a map of the front area in which general information is provided, such as the position of own airfields (including airfield information data, squadrons based on this field and the available planes). Also the weather (temperature, cloud base, etc.) and weather forecast (in case dynamic weather will be included) can be seen.

2. Flight section. A briefing that is visible for certain flights or squadrons only. If there are multiple sorties in one mission, each flight should have its own detailed mission briefing. This map contains more details, especially in the area that is marked as mission targets or in which the waypoints were set.

Dynamic briefing:

An additional feature might be the possibilty for pilots to report enemy activities which are then visible for other pilots (perhaps all of the same side or just pilots of the same squadron / airfield) for a certain timespan. There should also be the possibility to attach screenshots if the plane was equipped with a camera or if the pilot took a camera into the cockpit (which might be one of those un-lockable things).

Furthermore the briefing automatically updates if a certain target is achieved. The missiondesigner would then have to write two or more briefings for two or more determined targets.

Benefits: I can imagine such extended and dynamic briefing system to be of certain interest for online-gaming, but also offline missions would in my eyes benefit from an more interesting overall mission experience.

Attached you find three screenshots which I rapidly adapted (taken from one of our sqd scenarios) to demonstrate, what such a briefing screen might look like.

Attached Thumbnails

• General_Bos_Briefing.jpg
  • General_Bos_Briefing2.jpg
  • General_Bos_Briefing3.jpg

Edited by I/JG27_Zimmi, 18 July 2013 - 17:55.

Gruppenkommandeur

Olt. I/JG27_Zimmi

www.jagdgeschwader27.de

#26 I/JG27_Zimmi

I/JG27_Zimmi
  • Founder

Posted 19 July 2013 - 05:54

Explanation of proposals: Extended statistics

Features:

• General information on the pilot (rank, photo, unit, position within the sqd/wing/flight)
  • Awards and rank insignia as well as personal markings
  • Statistics including sorties, air- and groundkills, special tasks (recon, relocation etc.) and pilots / plane status
  • Statistics on the pilots career history including promotions, awards, shiftings, ???

Attached Thumbnails

• BoS_Vorschlaege.jpg

Edited by I/JG27_Zimmi, 19 July 2013 - 05:56.

Gruppenkommandeur

Olt. I/JG27_Zimmi

www.jagdgeschwader27.de

#27 I/JG27_Rollo

I/JG27_Rollo
  • Founder

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:24

Explanation of proposals: Fine-grained score multiplier

I'd like to see the current model of score multiplication (Normal = 1x, Expert = 1,5x, Custom = 0x) enhanced to a more fine grained solution. With the current model, players can actually increase the difficulty level above the "Expert" preset but will in turn get ounished by receiving zero score for a mission.

Some people might for example want to have outside views enabled but without having any other help that would additionally come from the "Normal" preset.

Expecially when the score is used to unkock things, 0x score for every custom difficulty setting is way too harsh.

An alternative model could therefore feature certain gradations, for example along the lines of:

Easier than Normal (~0.5x or 0x)
Normal preset (1x)
Harder than Normal but easier than Expert (~1.5x)
Expert preset (2x)
Harder than Expert (>2x)

or even be influenced by every single difficulty option.

Benefits: players who fly at difficulty levels between the "Normal" and "Expert" presets or even above "Expert" will not get punished by zero score.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#28 I/JG27_Rollo

I/JG27_Rollo
  • Founder

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:43

Explanation of proposals: Have an intro.

I'd like to see an intro for BoS. Earlier flight sims had some very enjoyable intro videos which brought the player into the right mood prior to the game itself.

Naturally it shouldn't be a boring 4 minute compilation of lovelessly cobbled together gameplay scenes like we had in a certain flight sim but much rather a short and captivating clip like this:

youtube.com/watch?v=Eu1p-DIQIZA

15 years old and still memorable.

That would be a great thing for BoS...

Benefits: A well-made intro will give many players a good feeling about the game before they even see the first menu screen.

Edit: typo...

Edited by I/JG27_Rollo, 23 July 2013 - 08:48.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#29 I/JG27_Zimmi

I/JG27_Zimmi
  • Founder

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:14

Explanation of proposals: User provided art content for the game. Following the previous post I would like to suggest some sort of user provided content to the game. I refer to certain elements which are visibile for everyone who starts his BoS.exe. Thinking of RoF it could be a poster at the hangar wall that can be maximised by clicking. Or it could be an introduction video. Once in a while the devs start a competition, perhaps under some certain motto (well I'm not very imaginative, maybe something like "No return", "First victory"... whatever).  Users can then submit their work and after the submission deadline has passed, an evaulation (poll) by the community will start. The winner will make it into the game until the next competition has finished. I've seen so much great artwork, and it would be great to have it not only available in certain forums, but also in the game itsself.

This could also be valid for new types of historical skins that officially made it into the game. Maybe a newspaper layout which can be used to illustrate brand new user contributed skins for the currently selected plane.

Benefits: Community contribution to the game for all(not only online) gamers.

Edited by I/JG27_Zimmi, 23 July 2013 - 10:14.

Gruppenkommandeur

Olt. I/JG27_Zimmi

www.jagdgeschwader27.de

#30 I/JG27_Rollo

I/JG27_Rollo
  • Founder

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:52

Type of improvement: Interface

Explanation of proposals: Use animated airfields as menu screens.
Instead of the museum that we have in RoF right now, the menu screen in BoS could feature an animated airfield with trucks passing by, planes taxiing, others being serviced, maybe including basic ground crew animation (pilots are already animated in outside view so that should be possible) etc.
Like in RoF this could adapt to the last plane that the player has flown. So for example if one has last flown a Bf 109, the menu screen shows a German fighter airfield with 109s. In case of a Pe-2, a Russian bomber airfield is shown and so on...

Benefits: Unparalleled immersion right within the menu. Players are immediately brought into the snowy environment of the Stalingrad airfields from which they will fly their missions.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#31 I/JG27_Rollo

I/JG27_Rollo
  • Founder

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:43

Note: This suggestion is heavily dependent on the capabilities of the game engine

Explanation of proposals: Adjust the scale of single-player career missions to the client computer performance.
More powerful computers might be able to handle a lot more objects while less powerful computers might need a reduced amount of objects to run the game smoothly.

Depending on the capabilities of the game engine and the performance of the client computer, the missions of the single-player career could be automatically - or by player choice - adjusted in terms of the number of aircraft, ground objects etc.

(If the engine enables also less powerful machines to handle a big amount of objects, this might not be an issue.)

Benefits: A choice of having many or few object in a generated mission will neither restrict players with powerful computers by having too few objects, nor overstrain less powerful machines by having too many.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#32 Crow

Crow
  • Founder

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:24

Type of improvement: Misc/Multiplayer

Explanation of proposals: Please rethink your business model regarding micropay.

Benefits: The current hardcore flight simmers will pretty much pay whatever or adapt to any revenue model (within reason). The problem is that getting a community together that is as large as IL-2 once was is going to be very difficult if you can't attract some of the people that aren't as hardcore about flight simming.

I'd love to see the base game be $60 (with around 12 flyable aircraft) and have them release expansions at anywhere from $20 to $60 that add new campaigns, map templates, and aircraft. This system has always worked well for this genre (and worked well for the original IL-2).

Something that people often don't think about is that DLC really throws a wrench into multiplayer games. IL-2's bread and butter in the later years was its strong online community and that only existed because it was relatively easy to install and play (as long as you didn't try to mod it). Imagine trying to make sure that everyone in your squadron or who plays on your server will have the DLC they need to participate. It turns into a nightmare.

Just the other day I tried to get a game of Civilization V going (which has a crazy amount of DLC at this point, something like 15-20 different DLC), and it took multiple days before we all had the same DLC and could play the way we wanted to. We had to wait almost a week for some people to get money in order to afford the DLC we wanted to use. It was very frustrating.

If you continue with the model you've proposed, you need to make sure that all of the content is available in the game and you just can't fly certain aircraft if you haven't paid. If you can't even join a server because you don't have the proper DLC, the multiplayer will be a non-starter from launch and the game will lack any true longevity. It may sell a few copies at first, but the attrition rate in the player base will be high.

Edited by Crow, 24 July 2013 - 09:24.

"Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth

And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;"

#33 JtD

JtD
  • Founder

Posted 26 July 2013 - 20:28

Type of improvement: Historical accuracy.
Explanation of proposals: Use correct designations for aircraft. There's no "-" between the letters and the number in German aircraft designations, for instance Ju 87, not Ju-87.
Benefits: Obvious.

Edited by JtD, 26 July 2013 - 20:35.

Facts are the best defence against the experts.

#34 LF_ManuV

LF_ManuV
  • Founder

Posted 27 July 2013 - 17:30

Type of improvement: AI/Communication 

Explanation of proposals: Say Orders to the A.I Gunners, Simple orders like,

Cease Fire : No shooting, even it there is enemy airplane on sight

Fire at will: Fire when enemy Plane in Sight, does not matter the Distance

Fire at x Distance: Fire only when the enemy plane is at X distance and less

Benefits: Bomber pilots or Multicrew planes pilots can organize their defense and add a level of Control to the A.I gunners.

Edited by =RDS=Manu_vc, 27 July 2013 - 17:31.

Thanks PA-Sniv, a very good person on this community 

#35 [DBS]airdoc

[DBS]airdoc
  • Founder

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:19

Type of improvement:  miscellaneous

Explanation of proposals: in the alpha demos, with canopy open, the pilot's head can lean outside of the cockpit and look around. Currently, the pilot's view remains steady during that process. In reality, pilot would be exposed to the airstream. Suggestion is to add a bit of a shake to the view when the head is outside the cockpit.

Benefits: more realistic/immersive.

#36 I/JG27_Zimmi

I/JG27_Zimmi
  • Founder

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:25

• Impact of destroyed / damaged roads and railways on vehicle movement
  • Condition of the soil

As there was no official reply on my question  yet I'll post it here as a suggestion. (http://forum.il2stur...oads-railroads/)

It would be very important to somehow simulate the influence of the ground condition on the movement of vehicles. Imagine an area which is surrounded by mud and water. If vehicles (especially heavy ones) would try to bypass road damage that was caused for instance by an air raid, they would most likely get stuck if they're too far off the road. So they would either have to wait until the pioneer corps arrive to reconstruct the road OR reverse to search for alternative routes.

Basically the  map  designer should  determine different soil conditions of the map which then define the probability for ground vehicles to drive off the roads. Furthermore a "road destruction tool" could be implemented in the  mission  editor to create partially destruction to roads which would then cause vehicles into alternative routes.  

Benefits: Enhance the gamplay for SP and MP missions.

Edited by I/JG27_Zimmi, 30 July 2013 - 05:31.

Gruppenkommandeur

Olt. I/JG27_Zimmi

www.jagdgeschwader27.de

#37 II./JG1Krupinski

II./JG1Krupinski
  • Founder

Posted 31 July 2013 - 16:54

Type Of Improvement: Multiplayer

Explanation of proposals: Include the ability for server administrators to design/develop/extend the multiplayer aspect of the game.  Allow them to create a extensive scenarios, include AI controlled planes, flights and groups. Allow them to dynamically include flights and such once the game has started with a scripting aspect using C# or such.

Benefits: Allowing users/administrators to create custom missions will extend the lifetime and play-ability of  the game in many areas. Right now, a game, IL-2 Sturmovik, originally written in 2001, is being played online because this online experience has extended the lifetime such that the community still supports it. It has allowed IL-2 community to stay active for more than 10 years!

Existing servers such as Warbirds of Prey, Spits vs 109s, etc to provide pilots with an ever changing environment. With the current incantation of the multiplayer scripting aspect, Cliffs of Dover has really taken it to a much more manageable and extensive level with the ability to dynamically insert flights, load sub missions, and manage many other aspects of the online experience. 

While this multiplayer script may be thought of as required, or standard, I thought it prudent to mention. 

#38 StG2_xgitarrist

StG2_xgitarrist
  • Founder

Posted 31 July 2013 - 20:11

Explanation of proposals: The characteristics and capabilities of each plane should vary a little bit ( +/-  1% diffrence from the normal parameters). That means, on every new flight/sortie u have slightly deviations from the standard value (for example speed, climb rate, acceleration, turnspeed....). Some pilots report that the performance of the same model (aircraft) can vary from 10 to 20 km/h (+/- 5%). However 5 % would be probably too much.

Benefits: More realism.  More dynamic combat situations. You would have to adapt to every situation with every new sortie. Pilots must keep in mind that their current aircraft can be slower or faster than wirtten in the manual. No more 100% certainty and reliability ( aircraft A is 7km/h faster on that height than aircraft B so he will never catch me or the other way around).         

Edited by StG2xgitarrist, 31 July 2013 - 20:11.

#39 CDOZa_Radino

CDOZa_Radino

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:35

Type of improvement: Gameplay-Miscellaneous/Adding Female Soviet Pilots

Explanation of proposals: More realistic history for the "Battle Of Stalingrad". It's can be a good idea ton make a campaign or some solo missions, with these female pilots. There are the 588th Regiment of Night bombing ("The Night Witches"), the 586th Regiment of Fighters (The one with the famous "Lilya Litvak") and the 587th regiment of ground attack, (with the famous Marina Raskova and Mariya Dolina).

Benefits: This will be more historically accurate, this can add some change for the gameplay (new skins, new missions, new voices and maybe three dynamics campaign about this three regiments), this is not a great changement, but i think is important to add this young ladies, who gave their life for their country. 

#40 10.N./ZG1_SPEKTRE76

10.N./ZG1_SPEKTRE76
  • Founder

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:38

Hello,

My suggestion is for (1) graphics: Can we get a unit editor much like in Cliffs of Dover? Say we pick Jagdgeschwader 54, 9 Staffel with aircraft number 3 and Werk Number (W.Nr) of 1376. The paint job would be auto generated historically accurate. It would nice to have skin templates as well for people who wish to create a paint scheme with personal insignias or remake a famous ace plane.

Next suggestion is for (7) Gameplay: Clan members can fly in the same bomber or multi-seat aircraft (spawn on position). One can be the tail gunner and the others the waist gunners, turret gunners, nose gunner, pilot and co-pilot and actually perform a mission as REAL team and actually form crews within a clan and even entire groups. Battlefield 2 has done this way back in 2006.

Edited by SPEKTRE76, 02 August 2013 - 08:44.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users