Sign in to follow this  
AndyJWest

Why Hitler Lost the War: German Strategic Mistakes in WWII

He actually made me check how to ignore people. So Shitigi, welcome to Ignoreville! Population:you.

He actually made me check how to ignore people. So Shitigi, welcome to Ignoreville! Population:you.

Well, it does what it says on the tin...

Pretty much what Boussourir said.

A war needs to have a clear objective to be won. If that objective is unclear, not winnable, or can only be kept in the "won" state for a limited time, then the war will be lost no matter what. I don't think I need to draw your attention to a few recent wars to see the effects.

Hitler wanted two things: He wanted to humiliate France after the Great War, and he wanted Lebensraum for the Germans in the East. His problem was that reaching both those objectives meant going to war against the whole bloody world. Had he settles for one or the other he might have reached his objectives and managed to hold the position. However, he wanted to do both, with inevitable result.

What we could discuss is what Hitler would have needed to do to win. I believe had he not attacked Denmark and Norway, and let the Western Europe be, he would eventually have found himself in a confrontation with the Soviet with the Western Allies staying neutral or even backing him rather than fighting him. He would have his Großdeutschland in the East, though he would have to swallow humble pie play nice with the French.

I think there are a few misunderstandings. Hitler and his bunch were all about "Lebensraum" in the East. When Hitler attacked Poland he was taken by complete surprise that France and Great Britain declared war on him. This tells us three things:

(1) He thought France and GB, the allies of Poland, would not act at all, having in mind the basically only verbal reaction of France and GB when he just took over Checkoslovakia after he had already been given the Sudetenland in the Munich conference.

(2) France and GB declared war on him, not vice-versa. Of course they did it in order to honor their promise to Poland. Honorably so and I personally think: Thank God! The world would have been completely different from what we know today. How: Would require a hell of speculating... I won't even try

(2) He did not want war with the West (well recalling the lessons from ww1). He wanted to conquer the East and avoid a two-front war. When unexpectently France and GB declared war on him he decided to deal with them first. He basically took France out of the war and tried to do the same with GB (fail). When he realized he could not finish GB he turned nonetheless towards the East (wierd decision). Maybe he thought he could deal with the few air raids from Britan at that time and no danger for him loomed from there. He was perhaps not aware back then that he would eventually declare war on the US who would use the UK as a huge aircraft carrier and bridgehead in Europe.

There had been a run on Norway by both GB and Germany. GB wanted to cut-off Germany from Swedish ore and launched operations with the purpose to invade Norway. Germany saw that her access to Swedish ore was threatened and decided to advance the British. Unluckily for the Norway people that likely would have fared better unter GB occupation than they did under German occupation.

Edited by sturmkraehe

I think there are a few misunderstandings. Hitler and his bunch were all about "Lebensraum" in the East. When Hitler attacked Poland he was taken by complete surprise that France and Great Britain declared war on him. This tells us three things:

(1) He thought France and GB, the allies of Poland, would not act at all, having in mind the basically only verbal reaction of France and GB when he just took over Checkoslovakia after he had already been given the Sudetenland in the Munich conference.

I quite agree. We owe a lot to the honour of Britain and France, standing by their pact with Poland. Had they not, the world would likely look much different.

Still, Chamberlain was a man of peace, and France only reluctantly declared war. Despite the blockade and the token Saar Offensive, the Phony War lasted until Germany invaded the Low Countries. How long would the Phony War have lasted if Hitler never started the campaign against Western Europe? With the invasion of Norway, Hitler had put Britain in a very difficult position. I believe that by then, war with the West became unavoidable and that the Phony War would have turned into a real war sooner or later, but what if Hitler had never attacked Denmark and Norway? How long would the Phony War remained a virtual ceasefire?

If we are to take a clue from modern history, enmity is not eternal. When political or economic situations necessitate cooperation, old grievances are buried and new alliances made. I believe the trade interest of Britain would eventually lead to a normalization. It may have taken 10 or 15 years, but it would eventually have happened. Had the Soviet attacked Germany or one of her allies, I believe the normalization would have come quite quickly too. 

Pretty sure he's an alter-ego - "Shitigi" = "Shitty guy"

I reckon a moderator with a bit of time on their hands might be able to discover who the account belongs do.

he must be a sith jedi

the dark side of the force is not the right path :)

Edited by raaaid

I reckon a moderator with a bit of time on their hands might be able to discover who the account belongs do.

Quite right. What happens when you get to 1,000 reputation points?

Well Boussourir. Germany attacked Poland in alleged self defense after a faked attack on German troops by the border. Doesn't mean Poland actually planned to attack Germany.

Now that you mention it, Poland did set up a half-plan of a preemptive strike on the 3rd Reich, back in 1934 if I`m not mistaken. Pilsudski via diplomatic channels asked if Great Britain and/or France would cooperate. They didn`t  want to talk about it.

well ill say it again:

a crux point was the change of military targets to civilian targets whcih released pressure over england army and boost morale contrary to what hitler would have thought around 41-42 i think

He's a War Thunder general discussion shitposter from 4chan's /vg/ board.