Zak

Developer Diary, Part 71

Siren is cool. But come on. Quit playing the lapino map and take all the damn clouds off the stalingrad map. Or at least put in the rotation a map at a diferent time with different weather. I know you can do it. And GET RID OF AUTO BALANCE. Entire squads have abandon your MP portion because they cant play the damn game together as a squad. I cant believe you guys arent aware of this. Its like you are TRYING to drive away players with bad decisions, when all you have to change are a few lines in the mission. Terrible.

The fact that you seem to be the only one in here complaining like this..well it says alot really..i would never belive you where 34yrs old..never

last night devs worked their a** off in the middle of the night to get the update out...they could easily delayed it until some time today but instead they worked for us..

and they have done a terrific job with it

this is just ungrateful attitude..

Edited by VikingFjord
  • Upvote 4

With the new update n° 71 my throttle does work inverted  (from front to back of plane like WWII French planes) and it is impossible to correct this situation event after restarting the game?! And multiple try inverting it and in more than one plane model! I have a Logitech G940. :wacko: 

re-install the game

Negative. Reset your controls to the default settings. A lot of key commands changed with this update.

• Upvote 1

Wow ... beautiful and smoooooth! Having a great time getting the bejesus shot outta me....and thanks for one wheel landing practice!   :biggrin:

I'm disappointed that people are disappointed by a disappointment that is only caused by their own disappointment. Also I am disappointed, because there was no 190 jokes this time. At this point I'm not sure is it possible to have two different disappointments same time, but anyway who wants to fight me on the sandbox?

Thanks for the update and it's looking good indeed. Have a nice sunny weekend.

• Upvote 2

update feels smoother then the other updates :) and i really like the touch of that Sight Filter

can really tell that Devs love planes and that they pay attention to details

Viking, what do you mean with the Sight Filter?

Viking, what do you mean with the Sight Filter?

the light dimmer filter that you can put on the sight of the 109

Nothing on the 190? Really? What about it?

VERY disappointed indeed!

I don't know what's the most annoying; the missing Fw-190 or the inpatient clowns who constantly whine about it. Seriously guys if it was ready I'm sure it would have been released already, so logic says it's not quite finished yet and I'm sure the makers don't want to release it if its not quite done, because then there'll be even more moaning won't there. Just be patient, I'm sure it will be released once its done.

• Upvote 5

Thanks for the news, Zak. Much appreciated :)

And nice to hear about the eventual appearance of the Ju-52, AI or otherwise, it's cannonfodder and that's what counts :biggrin:

Yes the Ju-52 would be very welcome even if only an ai plane, I don't see how you can have Stalingrad without it. As long as "old auntie Ju" doesn't try to dogfight me when I attack her! 

• Upvote 1

Yep, a few guys sound like whiny transport pilots, complaining about their BOQ rooms and the lack of selection at the bar while their fighter pilot friends are living in tents and getting shot at...

• Upvote 1

I'd agree that this update has smoothed the game out for me. I was able to bump my setting up to High again and it seemed silky smooth even when doing flybys over large wooded lots. I've gotten noticeable glitches in the past when doing that. I'm leaning more and more towards buying a new graphics card so I can bump this sim to it's top settings.

Edited by Rjel

** RPK-10 not working in Duel missions in QMB (no ground station placed?)

** La-5 brakes too weak.

The fact that you seem to be the only one in here complaining like this..well it says alot really..i would never belive you where 34yrs old..never

last night devs worked their a** off in the middle of the night to get the update out...they could easily delayed it until some time today but instead they worked for us..

and they have done a terrific job with it

this is just ungrateful attitude..

You just proved my point. They arent here to complain because they have left. You obviously are not aware of both the history of this argument, or the simplicity of the fix. but it seems you are completley happy with the mediocre showing MP has had. And simple things ate what has decimated the numbers. Ie map rolls from Stalingrad to lapino and the server empties. And the only fighting on the Stalingrad map is dogfighting because every single base is under cloud cover. Completely negating any attempts to level bomb in MP. I know EXACTLY how easy it is to change the weather save the map and put it in the rotation. Trying to hide the deva behind a literally 30 second fix carries no weight what so ever.

Dont get me wrong about the progress of the sim overall. Its coming along. But simple decisions are literally killing off the participation. When is the last time you saw an entire squad playing as a flight in this game? Answer: never as its impossible to get all your squad on the same team due to ridiculous autobalance.

Maybe instead of blindly praising the entire team. try understanding the ENTIRE dev team isnt building these missions. Its one person. Who your telling me doesnt have a free 30 seconds to change these settings. Of weather, time, rotation.

Edited by =SE=Hooves
  • Upvote 1

I would not be surprised, also from a SP perspective - at least this SP, I have lost a lot of interest. Not even sure I will install this latest update.

I had some good fun with the missions we once had for SP, after they removed those I played around a little with the QMB and it really did not do it for me.

I guess I am kind of waiting on the sidelines now to see what comes in the campaign, or some missions maybe returned.

• Upvote 1

I agree about the Weather, Time, etc. changes in map rotation for MP's matches. I hope they implement this soon because now for me at least having to repeat the same maps in the same conditions is getting boring very quick.

Edited by Krause

You just proved my point. They arent here to complain because they have left. You obviously are not aware of both the history of this argument, or the simplicity of the fix. but it seems you are completley happy with the mediocre showing MP has had. And simple things ate what has decimated the numbers. Ie map rolls from Stalingrad to lapino and the server empties. And the only fighting on the Stalingrad map is dogfighting because every single base is under cloud cover. Completely negating any attempts to level bomb in MP. I know EXACTLY how easy it is to change the weather save the map and put it in the rotation. Trying to hide the deva behind a literally 30 second fix carries no weight what so ever.

Dont get me wrong about the progress of the sim overall. Its coming along. But simple decisions are literally killing off the participation. When is the last time you saw an entire squad playing as a flight in this game? Answer: never as its impossible to get all your squad on the same team due to ridiculous autobalance.

Maybe instead of blindly praising the entire team. try understanding the ENTIRE dev team isnt building these missions. Its one person. Who your telling me doesnt have a free 30 seconds to change these settings. Of weather, time, rotation.

the entire dev team consists of two developers (programmers). I am not sure, whether anybody else has an access to the servers and is able to edit mission files. Also [speculation mode on] probably they are working on a mission editor now, so they might want to finish it first and then actually use it, instead of editing the files manually.

Meanwhile they have mentioned they wish to add some artillery positions to the stalingrad map soon.

And I could not care less how full are the servers during alpha/beta stage of the development and how many squads do want to play the game now.

When we get dedicated server and mission editor the most of the issues you described will be resolved automatically, so is there any sense at all to try to convince all the squads to play the game now by spending time to implement all the stuff they want to have right now? we know, that many other wishes will appear after devs will fulfil a single one and they will stack up quickly...

Edited by Tab

It is mentioned in the release that instruments are working also for the HE-111. Excellent but where is that plane. It does not appear in my plane list. Is it a plane we have to buy, or is there a bug in my version. Thanks for some help on that

It is mentioned in the release that instruments are working also for the HE-111.

Assumed true, why not?

Excellent but where is that plane. It does not appear in my plane list. Is it a plane we have to buy, or is there a bug in my version. Thanks for some help on that

For now this plane are reserved to Developers/Testers, not accessible to Founders.

So no bug, you need wait - I bet ~ end of August - to fly in He 111. ;)

Sokol1

It becomes clearer every day that this is going to be a complete embarrassment of riches when it's done! :)

Thank you for all the continued hard work, and the incredible detail for which you're well-known.

Seems like this is the perfect way to develop software; you're really setting some benchmarks in the discipline.

I'm very happy to have sponsored this project in my small way.

Good luck with the continued effort!  As more gets added, there's more complexity to manage, and debugging; we will be ultimately patient as you progress.

• Upvote 1

Agree about the map weather and the auto ballence but can wait. I believe that they have not impumented different weather as they want a constant base line so they can gather performace statisitcs, if we had changing weather it may be harder for them to analyses such aspect, so Im happy to wait,

• Upvote 1

I wonder if early access shouldn't be shutdown a month or two before the game goes gold and is released? Half of us are way too pessimistic while the other half seems to lean the exact opposite direction towards overly ambitious expectations. I'm afraid this sim might meet with an overwhelming ho hum from both camps considering most of the posts lately.

the light dimmer filter that you can put on the sight of the 109

Ah thank you, thought he meant something about the view distance generally.

And before anyone asks, the 'artificial horizon' in the Pe-2 is almost certainly historically correct, despite showing roll in the 'wrong direction' compared to a conventional one. At least, it is consistent with the one in IL-2 '46, and for that matter, with similar instruments in more modern Soviet/Russian aircraft (i.e in LOMAC/DCS), so I have to assume it is correct.

yep, in russian instrument, the "plane" is moving and horizon is fixed (or not present at all as in the case of pe2), western instruments have it the other way around

I was taking the Ju 87 for a little jaunt and strafed some trucks......I'm sure I heard return fire when I went to external view...like small arms or a single machine gun. Anyone else? Or am I imagining things or observing something everyone knew about?

The new trees look fantastic and everything seems silky smooth. Brilliant job.

Agree about the map weather and the auto ballence but can wait. I believe that they have not impumented different weather as they want a constant base line so they can gather performace statisitcs, if we had changing weather it may be harder for them to analyses such aspect, so Im happy to wait,

the weather is all implemented as far as this tech goes.  Jsut look at the SP mission builder.  Also, you need players to test performance and with the clouds being in stalingrad the player base just shrivels as its too frustrating to do anything.  This is my whole point people.  Im not agnry because the game is bad, Im angry that they are making decisions that MANY people find annoying and they leave because of it.  Making it harder to test anything.  then when the game hits and a server tries to put up large numbers and it breaks, ITS BECAUSE WE DIDNT GET THE LARGE NUMBERS IN EA.  And my large numbers I mean consistant full servers of 33 and 20 (pathetic in its own regard).  Right now were lucky to get 15.  The decisions just dont add up.

• Upvote 1

Wow, hadn't thought I would get such a positive feedback, thanks for liking  :) I found it incredibly immersive and worth sharing. (doesn't happen alot)

** QMB - whatever time of day I set, it always resets to 12:00. Anyone else?

yes, it saves and applies the settings only if you hit the "x" to close the time and weather settings window.

• Upvote 1

yes, it saves and applies the settings only if you hit the "x" to close the time and weather settings window.

That goes against most instinct we've built up over years of computer use.

I love jour cooking! You guys are doing a Fan-Tas-Tic job.

I know for sur that you are a dedicated Team, passioned Team as you are giving jour whole creativity tout create a masterpiece.

Since I decided to focus on What is released instead of What on is missing, I am much more happy each time you write a post on the diary

Bravo and 1000 tanks to you, all Of you!

By the way it is nice tout see a ju52 on the Champaign screen. I will Dream... Dreams full of junkers 52 !!!

the weather is all implemented as far as this tech goes.  Jsut look at the SP mission builder.  Also, you need players to test performance and with the clouds being in stalingrad the player base just shrivels as its too frustrating to do anything.  This is my whole point people.  Im not agnry because the game is bad, Im angry that they are making decisions that MANY people find annoying and they leave because of it.  Making it harder to test anything.  then when the game hits and a server tries to put up large numbers and it breaks, ITS BECAUSE WE DIDNT GET THE LARGE NUMBERS IN EA.  And my large numbers I mean consistant full servers of 33 and 20 (pathetic in its own regard).  Right now were lucky to get 15.  The decisions just dont add up.

Hooves man, you're getting a little out there. We are just getting to play it early. We aren't testing it directly, we are additional input into the testing. The weather isn't all implemented, there are still issues with it - which needs input to fixing.

If your squadron is getting pissed because you all can't fly together due to the balancing and deciding not to play, I'm sorry but that is just really petty to be angry over. We have early access to see what they are building, not full fun time access to enjoy it as if it were complete. Squads that can't fly against each other, or even individual squad mates that can't fly against each other seems very strange to me. That was the accepted practice in the early days of multiplayer air combat sims. I guess I'm just not understanding why it is a problem that 5 or 10 guys can't fly together using TS against 2 or 3 guys who aren't operating on the other side and getting completely owned when 2 or 3 of that squad could join the other side to even it out and fight against their squad mates just for fun during a period of time when we are only supposed to just be seeing what is new and how it is developing. If someone started a head to head ladder, that just wouldn't make any kind of sense right now - just the same as five guys in a squad fully cooperating together against 2 guys who don't even know each other because this is early access and those 2 guys just want to see what was new while the other 5 guys want to go on a CAP rather than see what's new and how the game is operating differently.

This isn't a final game man, I just don't know why so many expect it to operate that way and why so many expect to be able to operate in this title as if it were fully functional because it isn't. Just sit back, check out the new stuff, play multiplayer to check out the new stuff, play single player to check out the new stuff and save the full on operations until this thing is actually a released title.

They aren't making bad or stupid decisions, this thing could not even be in your hands right now so stop being so irate over something you shouldn't even be playing right now. This isn't DCS, this isn't the old Il-2 series, this isn't RoF, this is a game months before those things were even sold to the public so just chill out and wait until its final. Squads being able to fly together won't test the max multiplayer capability when the autobalance is off, they will drive more of those that don't participate in squads away because the squads will be CAPing/vluching fields. It will happen, so just wait until its released to do that when more controls can be put into place to prevent that (like ground targets, AA, customized maps by the server operators, etc).

Again, its early access - we're lucky we have had the chance to pay less to play earlier than we really should have. You think they are bad decisions because you can't have fun constantly with your squad on your own terms, but that is not how this was ever supposed to be. It was to be by the developers terms, because again - none of us would normally have access this early - and we are here to just test the waters and see what they are doing. We didn't pay to run this dev team, we didn't pay to have it our way, we paid to just see it early - that's it.

Edited by FuriousMeow
  • Upvote 11