In-game descriptions

welther

Hello. This is my first post.

I've been playing il2 GB for a good +40hours and I have 1946 on CD, which I'm still logging hours in to.

One small thing I am missing in GB is more "text" about the planes and weapons.

Like ex. I have to guess what blue and orange ammo is (i know what it is now). I had to look it up. It would be nice to have some text about each ammo type, like when best to use it, historical use and so on.

This applies to many of the guns and modifications.

1946 have some good info and even a disadvantage/advantage on each plane "under look at items". 

Could this be implemented, I would appreciate it.

IMG_20211125_112323.png

Edited by welther
  • Like 1

Pro tip.  In general in Great Battles, High Explosive (orange) over performs, and Armor Piercing (blue) underperforms when used against other aircraft. So, in the rare chances where a choice is available, take the HE.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, welther said:

Like ex. I have to guess what blue and orange ammo is (i know what it is now). I had to look it up. It would be nice to have some text about each ammo type, like when best to use it, historical use and so on.

That information is in the manual available for download here. :) 

I./JG52_Woutwocampe

Before taking off in a mission you have access to aircraft specifications that are pretty useful especially if you are new at realistic engine management. For instance, at what alt should you switch the supercharger gear, if the plane has a manual boost mode, max rpm/manifold pressure for continous power etc etc etc.

Extremely useful, helps you get the most out of your plane while avoiding engine damage.

5 hours ago, welther said:

Wow. One out of three understood my comment enough to reply intelligently.

One agreed with you and two others tried to be helpful...

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Halon said:

One agreed with you and two others tried to be helpful...

If they read my comment, they would know I didn't ask for help. I wanted to discuss the "issue".

This is a typical forum problem, people just answer whatever they first think of - it's almost random what you get.

I know it's rude to point it out, but this is a class A example. 

12 hours ago, LukeFF said:

That information is in the manual available for download here. :) 

I know it is. I would love to see it in game when you are selecting and viewing the plane and weapons.

It's nice to be able to look things up online, and a lot of stuff is covered on forums... if you can dig it out.

But reading a book/online is not playing the game.

Edited by welther

A strength of SWOTL was the manual - which had quotes from pilots, information on the battles, and comparison charts on the performance of each plane - a bit of a strategy guide, a bit of a history book - it worked well. I've often thought modern sims could do with that type of thing.

7 minutes ago, welther said:

If they read my comment, they would know I didn't ask for help. I wanted to discuss the "issue".

This is a typical forum problem, people just answer whatever they first think of - it's almost random what you get.

I know it's rude to point it out, but this is a class A example. 

Well... at least people try to be helpful? That is a pretty good quality to have in community members.

12 hours ago, welther said:

Wow. One out of three understood my comment enough to reply intelligently.

You come across as a arrogant jerk. You and  your measly three posts and already insulting others on our forum. Go pound sand. 😗

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Look who's talking; Your first post is a snotty, personal insult (read the rules), and more irrelevant than all other comments on this post.

It's easy to dismiss anything by just saying «that's a jerk» instead of giving it a thought, maybe there is a point here.

1 hour ago, Avimimus said:

Now, back to the topic.

A strength of SWOTL was the manual - which had quotes from pilots, information on the battles, and comparison charts on the performance of each plane

That's true, a good in-world manual like that is awesome. But we dont get a physical manual anymore. So we are back to quiting the game to read and searching for the info we want.

I've often thought modern sims could do with that type of thing.

I completely agree and it's exactly what I want, but in-game.

Edited by welther

I remember the Janes: WW2 fighters attempted something with an in-game 'museum'... I found it was awkward to use (fully voiced I think). Il-2 1946 had the aircraft information sheets all in one place (rather than in the mission briefings), along with an ability to view the 3d models. I thought was nice. BoX/Great Battles does have the specifications sheet for each aircraft, and also has pretty good intros for some of the campaigns... hmm... maybe though - we could put together a community quick-info guide website which is optimised for access via phones? Something a bit more accessible than the current manual?

It might be a fun project. It'd need to be focussed on (1) short descriptions (i.e. strict word limits), (2) aiming to generate interest in each aircraft and each battle, (3) providing very very basic information on how to fly the aircraft and their specifications and tactics.

• MisterSmith locked this topic

Welther, I see the underlying info you wanted to express but you came in hot for a new post. This one went off the rails quickly by both the OP and others. Keep it civil - that is an order.

• Like 1