Pulled the trigger on the Varjo Aero 😳

LukeFF

Or, What Did I Just Do? 😄

Anyways, having returned to VR with the Reverb G2 and confirming that I like playing IL2 that way, I figured I have some time to get used to flying in VR until the Aero is estimated to ship to me in 3-4 months. A friend of mine is supposed to receive his next month and is an IL2 player, so hopefully I can try it out before mine ships. 👍🏻

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, LukeFF said:

Or, What Did I Just Do? 😄

Anyways, having returned to VR with the Reverb G2 and confirming that I like playing IL2 that way, I figured I have some time to get used to flying in VR until the Aero is estimated to ship to me in 3-4 months. A friend of mine is supposed to receive his next month and is an IL2 player, so hopefully I can try it out before mine ships. 👍🏻

:good:

Welcome to the club!

Ain't VR grand.

;)

Edit: If you have not seen it have a look at this post over on the MSFS forums. Sounding very positive for the Aero.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/new-varjo-aero-consumer-vr-device/464385/98?u=dburne458

If it handles performance as good as WMR with Open XR does with MSFS I will be very happy.

Edited by dburne
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, dburne said:

Welcome to the club!

Ain't VR grand.

;)

Edit: If you have not seen it have a look at this post over on the MSFS forums. Sounding very positive for the Aero.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/new-varjo-aero-consumer-vr-device/464385/98?u=dburne458

If it handles performance as good as WMR with Open XR does with MSFS I will be very happy.

Yes, I saw that. It sounds very encouraging that this is going to be a great headset for flight simming. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, dburne said:

Welcome to the club!

Ain't VR grand.

;)

Apparently it's a couple of grand now.  😉  I'll be getting one too; I doubt anyone is going to sell a better one anytime soon either.  (famous last words?)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Drum said:

I doubt anyone is going to sell a better one anytime soon either.  (famous last words?)

Lol yeah, that's the curse of upgrading computer components. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Ordered one as well tonight, does anyone know if the lighthouses from a Rift (CV-1) will work in SteamVR for this?  I held off ordering some from them thinking (hoping) they might...

• Upvote 1

SCG_Fenris_Wolf
13 hours ago, Drum said:

Apparently it's a couple of grand now.  😉  I'll be getting one too; I doubt anyone is going to sell a better one anytime soon either.  (famous last words?)

They'll probably announce the Index 2 in March. 

An Index with rotatable aspherics, WiFi 6 / BT breakout-box for signal transmission, Eye-Tracking, exchangeable battery-pack clipped to the hip. Yeah I'm probably just dreaming.

And then, it would be produced in China again. I'd rather pay twice and buy a locally produced, true quality European product.

I guess you guys got me, where is that Website?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Drum said:

Ordered one as well tonight, does anyone know if the lighthouses from a Rift (CV-1) will work in SteamVR for this?  I held off ordering some from them thinking (hoping) they might...

No totally different tracking system. Vive Trackers or Lighthouse trackers.

Edit: Website says just Lighthouse  2.0 base stations.

Edited by dburne
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dburne said:

Thanks, Dburne, I'll add a couple to the order then.  🙂

They say as more powerful GPUs come along the Varjo Aero will grow with one's system as the panels are 8kx8k capable.  It could be a 4+ year headset if we're lucky.

35 minutes ago, Drum said:

Thanks, Dburne, I'll add a couple to the order then.  🙂

They say as more powerful GPUs come along the Varjo Aero will grow with one's system as the panels are 8kx8k capable.  It could be a 4+ year headset if we're lucky.

Yeah with the price I am kind of counting on it holding me over for quite a while. Getting a little tired of buying headsets anyway. HP just released an updated Reverb G2 so doubt they will have a new one anytime in the near future - all they did though was work with the cameras to improve tracking.  Valve operates on Valve time, and that can be pretty slow lol so not sure we will see an updated Index in the very near future. Index is also apparently still doing well on the sales end. Vive just released the Vive Pro 2 in June, so doubt they will do anything anytime soon.

Oculus - not for me any longer, the headsets they do now do not appeal to me for how I use them. I have the original Quest and could never really get into any of that mobile gaming. And for PC-VR I much prefer native rather than through a Link cable and USB port.

I hope the Aero does it and I can finally get rid of all these headsets, way too many cables laying around in here lol.

8kx8k? I kind of doubt it, unless they are starting to use Pimax math which I hope they are not. Maybe they are talking though about super sampling.

At this time I am using Index for VR games and Reverb G2 for flight sims. Having too many issues now with my Vive Pro 2.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, dburne said:

If I'm understanding things right, the 2.0 base stations available on Valve's website will work? Just want to make sure. 

Edited by LukeFF
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

If I'm understanding things right, the Vive 2.0 base stations available on Amazon will work? Just want to make sure. 

Whilst their website only says Steam VR 2.0 base stations I would think they would as that is what they are for the Vive. I think they are based of the same tech as the Valve Lighthouse base stations.

I will tell ya imho I would consider to go with the Lighthouse 2.0 base stations from Valve. I just think they are best in class, and your getting a best in class headset.

I think they might be tough to get though. But yeah you should be ok either way.

Seems to be it works in Il2 ts not the Aero, but very likely if this one works the Aero should work too.

Edited by SCG_motoadve
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 11/24/2021 at 11:33 AM, LukeFF said:

. A friend of mine is supposed to receive his next month and is an IL2 player, so hopefully I can try it out before mine ships. 👍🏻

How does he know he’s getting his next month?  I ordered mine on day one but they didn’t give me any sort of indication of when it was actually coming.

9 hours ago, SCG_motoadve said:

Seems to be it works in Il2 ts not the Aero, but very likely if this one works the Aero should work too.

Sounds promising!!

10 hours ago, WIS-Redcoat said:

How does he know he’s getting his next month?  I ordered mine on day one but they didn’t give me any sort of indication of when it was actually coming.

He doesn't know for sure. It's just a guess on his part. 

• Haha 1