Post Scriptums new armoured update compared to il2 Tank Crew

[KG]Destaex

[KG]Destaex

Post Scriptum has a new armoured update and it got me thinking about the two games: 

Advantages in comparison to il2:

- Able to jump out of tank and observe terrain. Not a big deal really.

- Human infantry are pretty crafty at trying to get around you and interact with you to spot

- Human infantry use anti tank weapons well. You really want to avoid built up areas with humans around

- Reasonably sized map but still takes a while to get to the front. 

- Able to play an infantry support role. Not an unusual thing in ww2

- Dedicated community although the Post Scriptum community is a little lacking in comparison to the il2 aircraft community at least.

Disadvantages in comparison to il2:

- No AI vehicles

- No ability to make missions

- Reliant on a multiplayer community

- Super huge map

- Only a few tanks available on the field at once and thus no actual armoured group tactics are employable. 

- No tank interiors

- A lot of smaller details and ports are not able to be interacted with or used.

Comparable in comparison to il2:

- Slow drive to the front

- Fairly detailed tanks

- A fair variety of vehicles 

- Historically accurate stats 

- Gear changes for the driver might be similar now?

I imagine Hell Let Loose is sorta similar in comparison to il2 Tank Crew but a little gamier. 

I think over all il2 Tank Crew still probably has the brighter future if the devs really focus on it, especially with regard to evening the infantry component.

Edited by [KG]Destaex
  • Upvote 3

NoelGallagher

after i got in to TC 

i can't never go back to p.s 

the driving feels too awkward even with new armoured update

but for now it's the best ww2 fps out there 

it's in same category as what TC is in 

it's not great but it's the only thing available as for up to date

if i have to compare there was DH which can easily beat p.s 

so as steel fury when it comes down to tank warfare..

and HLL hmmm

when i see 101st paras landing in omaha beach and fallschirmjäger's defending it with winter uniform with the goggles on their eyes 

i just ... i just couldn't stand it

and it seems like that dev's don't care about historical authencity anymore AT ALL

they just trade it with customization since that will attract more players

what a shame it had so much potential to be a great ww2 fps

it's basically BF5 with ballistic physics on it to me

Edited by NoelGallagher

[KG]Destaex

I see. I missed out on that one and played Red Orchestra 2 tanks. Was really excited about the interiors in that game. But they lagged far behind with the bren carrier and half track. Shame. This game is streets ahead.

ModestWeasel

The tank play in Post Scriptum is what actually got me to give Tank Crew a shot. I prefer TC currently, but there’s some places where I think PS does a better job:

- A UI for squading up. I like that I can see who’s in a tank and join (or ask to). I’d multicrew tanks a lot more often if it wasn’t just some weird/inconvenient surprise all the time when someone entered.

- squad voice chat in-game. Requiring third party software like SRS or Discord is a bit of a bummer and clunky if you want chat with people in your tank. I really just love the voice chat system with its command structure in PS and HLL and wish we had something similar. But I’m sure that’s a big ask.

- as noted above, infantry that does stuff. I’d actually love it if Il2 had playable infantry some day. The larger maps would give to boredom/tension that I’d imagine to be pretty realistic, which is appealing to me.

• Upvote 1

I love tank crew and it's definitely the best current WW2 tank sim/game, I just wish there were more populated servers.  The only thing other games like Warthunder have over it are full lobbies 

22 hours ago, [KG]Destaex said:

I see. I missed out on that one and played Red Orchestra 2 tanks. Was really excited about the interiors in that game. But they lagged far behind with the bren carrier and half track. Shame. This game is streets ahead.

if you really enjoy hardcore realism 

then i recommend you to try out graviteam tactics series(i bet you already know it but just incase)

it has better ballistic physics and damage modeling than TC for now 

i think it's really a masterpiece

the only thing that keeps that game from being popular was steep learning curve

but there's nothing like this 

idk how many "realistic" games counts the temperature in to ballistic caculation

fuckin crazy..

• Haha 1

On 11/22/2021 at 11:05 PM, Frinik22 said:

I think he meant Darkest Hour, a mod created for Red Orchestra OstfFont a fairly old but very popular game, tactical fps) back in the early 2000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darkest_Hour:_Europe_'44-'45

S!,

I use to play the hell out of DH. I'm pretty sure that longed over 1400+hours playing that damn game :)  At the time, it was the best thing going, IMHO.

HB

6 hours ago, NoelGallagher said:

if you really enjoy hardcore realism 

then i recommend you to try out graviteam tactics series(i bet you already know it but just incase)

it has better ballistic physics and damage modeling than TC for now 

i think it's really a masterpiece

the only thing that keeps that game from being popular was steep learning curve

but there's nothing like this 

idk how many "realistic" games counts the temperature in to ballistic caculation

fuckin crazy..

I own operaton red star from way back and was not a fan of the obtuse menu system and it's single player focus. I do respect graviteams attention to the physics side of things though.

I prefer combat mission cmx2 games. Played a few of them PBEM. I like WEGO when things get too large and combat mission gives you both options. 

Steel Division 2 is my go to though when comp stomping with mates.

One of the things that tank simulations are good for is showing you what it was like and how strategy games should portray tanks. 

Edited by [KG]Destaex

5 hours ago, JV44HeinzBar said:

S!,

I use to play the hell out of DH. I'm pretty sure that longed over 1400+hours playing that damn game :)  At the time, it was the best thing going, IMHO.

HB

yeah mate it was really awesome 

my favorite map was berlin 

that one valuable panther spawns at the last cap where germans gotta hold the bridge for 40min

and there was always one guy who waste it right away hahaha

after that it's just sherman blowing the hell out of german resistence in the building with HE LOL

The lack of ballistics modeling had me shunning PS armor, but with this new update I am going to have another look.  With armor only you are probably setting out for 5 to 5 pvp for a total of like 30 or so people at a time, and that would be a goal to shoot for on a closed server concept.  For SCG to start I'm thinking 3 tanks on 3 with an assigned objective to channel everyone to an action point.  Sounds small, but with multi crew and the terrain in there....I'm guessing that it can be a lot of fun.

19 hours ago, Drim said:

I love tank crew and it's definitely the best current WW2 tank sim/game, I just wish there were more populated servers.  The only thing other games like Warthunder have over it are full lobbies 

TC being the best WW2 sim/game is debatable and  your personal opinion. Mine differs. WT or WoT are to tank simulation what McDonald's is to gastronomy; it fills you up but ultimately leaves you hungry for the real stuff.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, JV44HeinzBar said:

@SCG_Neun I'm downloading PS now. For $7.49, I'll roll the dice to see if this is any good. However, I can't imagine that it will pull me away from TC especially when 1C announced 2 collector tanks to pre-purchase :)

HB

heinz do you want to play together as a tanker ?

let's make some special tank crew squad in the post scriptum LOL

17 hours ago, [KG]Destaex said:

I own operaton red star from way back and was not a fan of the obtuse menu system and it's single player focus. I do respect graviteams attention to the physics side of things though.

I prefer combat mission cmx2 games. Played a few of them PBEM. I like WEGO when things get too large and combat mission gives you both options. 

Steel Division 2 is my go to though when comp stomping with mates.

One of the things that tank simulations are good for is showing you what it was like and how strategy games should portray tanks. 

[KG]Destaex WOULD YOU MIND TO JOIN?

7 minutes ago, NoelGallagher said:

heinz do you want to play together as a tanker ?

let's make some special tank crew squad in the post scriptum LOL

S!,

I'm down for that. A bunch of guys in JV44 bought PS today also. Of course, I've never played PS, so I'll be the loader or radioman, LOL.

HB

I've owned PS for a long time. It's really fun and well done. Just like SQUAD, and way back Project Reality BF2 mod.

Hopefully I'll get back on there now with this update and check it out. 

The cost of tank crew is too expensive for the experience, database and onjects available  Low population of american equipment, or other nations.  Seems the current multiplayer finnish server (the only one that offers ground combat) uses the russian front also lacks equipment for the russians ground  no T34-85 

So, tank crew ranks a low 4 on a scale of 10 for the following reasons:

Invisible trees and other ground objects that require my gaming time to repair, multiplayer database needs an enema.  Time to audit what you sell to the public you slow and unwise bit mechanics.  No modern russian equipment to counter the axis, tigers, panthers, Ferdinands etc.  NO T34-85  or other heavy armor for russians.  One american tank , ONE  thats it.  Pathetic

Just bought PS and haven''t gamed it yet, will provide my critique soon.  Bottom line Tank Crew not worth the purchase.

Edited by JohnnyRocket
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Frinik22 said:

Please let us know how good it is. I may also make the jump based on your opinions of the game.

if you want to play as FPS shooter with a bit of realism and historical accuracy 

it's great game 

but if you are seeking something specific for ww2 combat atmosphere

then NO

it's set of skirmish everywhere 

because most of the core meta of the game came from squad(modern combat)

it literally feels like you are playing suqad with ww2 uniform

this is why i stoppped playing as infantry in that game

although this kind of gameplay could perfectly fit with vietnam war theater

so yeah you don't feel like grunts but rather like some kind of special forces 

the best way to describe this would be 

if you are BOB guy then you'll love it 

but if you are The Pacific guy you'll get dissapointed

Edited by NoelGallagher

Vonalba and I were in tanks within PS today and I still have to lean towards Tank Crew although we will probably have fun messing around in there.  The ballistics/site ranging system within GB is just top notch and unless I'm missing something, PS with the new ballistics modeling and all, still is rather primitive in this area.  Nothing is perfect and each game has its strengths and weaknesses, but right now, TC is still my tank game of choice.  See what you guys think after you give it a try.

• Upvote 1

I don't expect Post Scriptum to be anywhere close to a sim. It's more like a Red Orchestra Heroes of Stalingrad type of shooter I suspect. I am versatile, I love hard core sims like Steel Beats and SABOW, milsims like Arma II and III  and more casual tank sims like this one and Steel Fury and arcade, crazy fps like BF3,4, 1 and V and soon 2042. I also played RO OF and HoS and the Vietnam iteration. The only shooters I dislike are CoD types, Halo, WT, WoT , the free one  from the makers of WT - I forgot the name -, I played it one hour and promptly uninstalled and Counterstrike. I am a man for all seasons and I suspect I'll like PS based on what you said. I never played Squad but saw vids on Youtube looks nice. I played BF 2 Project reality and Insurgency not to mention the Stalker series. I am also keen on trying Escape from Tarkov and Hell Let Loose.

Edited by Frinik22

SCG_judgedeath3
7 hours ago, JohnnyRocket said:

No modern russian equipment to counter the axis, tigers, panthers, Ferdinands etc.  NO T34-85  or other heavy armor for russians.  One american tank , ONE  thats it.  Pathetic

This game simulates the specific battle of kursk in july 1943 which is why there arent more american or late war tanks, like the T-34-85 which was in operation in june 1944 with front line troops. Same for american/allied tanks as they didnt take part in this battle. 

There are more tank servers than finnish if you check, one example is advance and secure or tanks in flames etc. All with different maps and settings and tank numbers. 

I applaud tank crew to be a true sim and not nerfing german tanks or break historical accuracy with giving the allieds tanks before they existed, this sim enables one to experience the battle of kursk like hiw it was, with the right tanks for the time and huge map that is way more accurate than other games that has tiny maps. Here one can at last experience how it was at kursk and fear to face a tiger or against a su-152 which will kill one. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mmmh, I tend to agree with the people who complain about the allied tanks: OK, the developers have chosen realism, great (and logical, they present the game as a "simulation"), in the solo the choice is respected ...

but nothing has prevented it from providing more efficient tanks to fight tigers, panthers and ferdinands, etc ... in multiplayer, since the choice of vehicles available is at the choice of the modders of the server ... nothing prevented it, except if the developers of the game later want us to get $ 80 more for a new front ...

and if we want to fully respect history, we would have to increase the number of forces to the advantage of the allies ... which is not done ...

SCG_judgedeath3

Well you can check the airplane expansions work like moscow expansion: only 1941 airplanes in it for october- november period, the devs didnt put in yak-9 to be able to counter the fw 190 a3. Its the same setup with tank crew, once they release tank crew battle of france as example: we would get char b1, somua s35, cruiser mk 1, matilda 2, panzer ii, panzer iii E, panzerjäger 1, etc. Once we get a tank crew operation bagration then we would get t-34-85 as example in line with how the airplane expansions work in the il-2 series. 

Like how bodenplatte introduced p-51, and me 262.
wont make sense to release tanks that dont fit inside kursk 1943 in that logic.

servers already limits those, finnish as example its rare to see a tiger. Most of the time there isnt even one, only panzer ivs mostly which stands for 4 days before even 1 tiger gets avaiable.

7 minutes ago, SCG_judgedeath3 said:

Well you can check the airplane expansions work like moscow expansion: only 1941 airplanes in it for october- november period, the devs didnt put in yak-9 to be able to counter the fw 190 a3. Its the same setup with tank crew, once they release tank crew battle of france as example: we would get char b1, somua s35, cruiser mk 1, matilda 2, panzer ii, panzer iii E, panzerjäger 1, etc. Once we get a tank crew operation bagration then we would get t-34-85 as example in line with how the airplane expansions work in the il-2 series. 

Like how bodenplatte introduced p-51, and me 262.
wont make sense to release tanks that dont fit inside kursk 1943 in that logic.

servers already limits those, finnish as example its rare to see a tiger. Most of the time there isnt even one, only panzer ivs mostly which stands for 4 days before even 1 tiger gets avaiable.

yes, yes, I agree with that, it's good so that we will have to wait and pay again $ 80 (less I hope) to have a new tank capable of competing ... it's just a shame ... but that does not solve the problem of numerical superiority absent from the Russians ... and it is sometimes annoying not to be able to use panthers or others for these reasons ...

1PL-Husar-1Esk
7 hours ago, Frinik22 said:

I don't expect Post Scriptum to be anywhere close to a sim. It's more like a Red Orchestra Heroes of Stalingrad type of shooter I suspect. I am versatile, I love hard core sims like Steel Beats and SABOW, milsims like Arma II and III  and more casual tank sims like this one and Steel Fury and arcade, crazy fps like BF3,4, 1 and V and soon 2042. I also played RO OF and HoS and the Vietnam iteration. The only shooters I dislike are CoD types, Halo, WT, WoT , the free one  from the makers of WT - I forgot the name -, I played it one hour and promptly uninstalled and Counterstrike. I am a man for all seasons and I suspect I'll like PS based on what you said. I never played Squad but saw vids on Youtube looks nice. I played BF 2 Project reality and Insurgency not to mention the Stalker series. I am also keen on trying Escape from Tarkov and Hell Let Loose.

Hell let loose has great map and immersion,  atmosphere is great.  Tanks are ok, arcadish but fun.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, moustache said:

yes, yes, I agree with that, it's good so that we will have to wait and pay again $ 80 (less I hope) to have a new tank capable of competing ... it's just a shame ... but that does not solve the problem of numerical superiority absent from the Russians ... and it is sometimes annoying not to be able to use panthers or others for these reasons ...

For exact that reason i bought this simulation and NOT PostScriptum. 

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JG27_Steini said:

For exact that reason i bought this simulation and NOT PostScriptum. 

this is the thing also makes me not to play p.s 

in their early beta stage they were talking about making authentic layer which is historically accurate 

so instead of giving ton of tank and armoured car to british para faction on market garden theater which is very unrealistic

they should've given them AT gun's with towing mechanism

also superior air support (more air support and less cooltime)

but they have used one to one flat balancing 

firefly and churchill's are everywhere with the advantage of having more tank available than german team

also they get the APDS rounds a lot which was quite rare even for that later stage of war

and those piat don't even have a proper reloading animation nor realoading time in the game(it's spring loaded so it should take more time than any AT gear in the game)

thus you can just shoot it as if it's automatic gun or something lol

everyone can spawn a lot of transport on fob 

so AT infantries use that as personal vehicle for chasing tank 

thus armoured combat was completely broken

Edited by NoelGallagher

16 hours ago, Frinik22 said:

I don't expect Post Scriptum to be anywhere close to a sim. It's more like a Red Orchestra Heroes of Stalingrad type of shooter I suspect. 

The devs of HLL have said, back when introducing the game to the crowds, that it's meant to be a spiritual successor to RO2, so basically not overly realistic. PS is a bit slower paced than HLL, but nonetheless still skirmish-y in nature, due to having few players trying to fight in huge open maps and due to lack of centralized command/common goals (both have a commander role, but people have to listen to him for it to actually work). RO2 created an impression of a moving front much better than both PS and HLL.

Regarding tanks, for some reason they always seemed too small in HLL, when standing next to them. Perhaps even in PS, but to a lesser extent. Something always seems off as to how menacing they looked when compared to their real counterparts.

Edited by Raven109

1PL-Husar-1Esk
2 hours ago, Raven109 said:

The devs of HLL have said, back when introducing the game to the crowds, that it's meant to be a spiritual successor to RO2, so basically not overly realistic. PS is a bit slower paced than HLL, but nonetheless still skirmish-y in nature, due to having few players trying to fight in huge open maps and due to lack of centralized command/common goals (both have a commander role, but people have to listen to him for it to actually work). RO2 created an impression of a moving front much better than both PS and HLL.

Regarding tanks, for some reason they always seemed too small in HLL, when standing next to them. Perhaps even in PS, but to a lesser extent. Something always seems off as to how menacing they looked when compared to their real counterparts.

For me all those fps are slow , I grew up playing deathmatch doom and quake world intensively -)

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Raven109 said:

Interesting. I had no clue they intended the game to be a spiritual successor to ROHS but after watching the gameplay on Youtube I could see some of that game's DNA in both PS and HLL. I also suspect RO the Darkest Hour also served as inspiration  to these games as it was a defining game back in its days.

4 hours ago, 1PL-Husar-1Esk said:

For me all those fps are slow , I grew up playing deathmatch doom and quake world intensively -)

I see you are from Gdansk/Danzig. My paternal grandmother was born there in 1907. She left the city when she was 7 years old and never returned. 

Edited by Frinik22

4 hours ago, Frinik22 said:

Interesting. I had no clue they intended the game to be a spiritual successor to ROHS but after watching the gameplay on Youtube I could see some of that game's DNA in both PS and HLL. I also suspect RO the Darkest Hour also served as inspiration  to these games as it was a defining game back in its days.

I see you are from Gdansk/Danzig. My paternal grandmother was born there in 1907. She left the city when she was 7 years old and never returned. 

Living at 7,  that must be some  story .

19 hours ago, Raven109 said:

i didn't knew someone noticed this too

it's super subtle thing to notice 

but they got the infantry height model wrong 

it's almost 2m height

and the body proportion looks like some one in 160cm height

and also the shoulder is too wide

that's where all the weirdness came from

even to the house and buildings they are too tall and big but have the looks of what 160cm height person looks like 

in these days dev's don't care about super basic things like that..

• Sad 1

Well her family left  Danzig at the onset of WW1 . Herfather worked for the German imperial post office and he was ordered to go to Koenigsberg to look after the Feldpost ( German army mail service) . My paternal grandfather was born there and they met 10 years later when he joined the Imperial Army ( my grandmother had volunteered to be a field nurse) and they got married  a year later in 1918. My connections to Eastern Europe go deep!:-)

I lived  almost 3 years in Warsaw at the end of the cold war as a foreign dip. Loved the place, the country and the people. Poles are very romantic people. I have nothing but good memories of that country.

Edited by Frinik22
  • Like 1