White smoke

casper139971

casper139971

Trying to use detailed engine managemeny online. When I set mixture to maximize rpm, I get white smoke. Seems like I always have white smoke. Could this be from using max throttle to climb? Any help appreaciated. 

[F.Circus]Gorn_Captain

Trailing thick white smoke behind you means your engine is overheating, you'll need to open your water radiator to stop it. 

• Upvote 1

casper139971

Thanks. Set up a radiator button on stick, but can not find a visual reference for radiator position in cockpit like mixture lever. Not even sure wwi planes had radiator settings. Ill experiment. The temp gauge was showing hot, but I could not get it down. I'm smoking my engine for sure. 

RNAS10_Oliver
1 hour ago, casper139971 said:

Thanks. Set up a radiator button on stick, but can not find a visual reference for radiator position in cockpit like mixture lever. Not even sure wwi planes had radiator settings. Ill experiment. The temp gauge was showing hot, but I could not get it down. I'm smoking my engine for sure. 

It depends on the aircraft. The rotary engined ones such as the Camel do not have radiators. But the in-line engine ones such as the De Havilland 4 do have them.

What aircraft are you in? As we can inform you where the control is. Also there is this YouTube playlist that might help finding out the control layouts for the FC1 planes.

How thick and long are the white smoke trails? If they are long thick white and quite obvious. Then it is from overheating or damage to the engine/radiator. Such as in this Bristol;

image.jpeg.cada3d0739379718d20616d420a6c3f2.jpeg

But it’s also normal for you to emit some smoke. The trails in these cases tend to be very short though. And the colour can change to white depending on whether you are too rich/lean for the current altitude. The smoke can be used as a guide for your mixture settings. From my eyes the smoke tends to change from orange-brown, to invisible, to white, to very very slightly thicker white.

But proper long thick white smoke trails  are from overheating, engine damage or coolant leaks.

Edited by RNAS10_Oliver

PaulTheSalty

The Dolphin has radiator. I’m about to hop on and check where the lever is. I’ll get back to you in a moment.

RNAS10_Oliver

The lever is on both sides of the cockpit. It’s similar to the handles you used to have to wind the windows down on older cars. The port side one is astern of the throttle/mixture controls. Basically around where the doors that open/close to control the airflow into the radiators are. If I’m not mistaken.

EDIT: Not mistaken. There we go.

597D2AEF-F549-41CA-AFC5-046715E4E46C.jpeg

Edited by RNAS10_Oliver
  • Upvote 1

casper139971

You guys are awesome. Thanks. Can't wait to get back on the sim. What a great helpful community here. 

• Like 2