Rama

Unlocking mods in solo career

Unlocking mods in solo career  

658 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about the obligation to unlock mods in solo campaign?

• I like it
    • I dislike it
    • I don't play solo campaign, so will be unable to unlock mods
    • I have no opinion on this feature

It all smells like trying to please both the hardcore crowd and the casual (who I think the majority are only playing WarThunder because it's FREE) crowd, and we all know, you can't please all the people all of the time!

I don't even see how it's pleasing anyone.  It smells like the decision of a marketing person who thinks that the reason people enjoy playing WarThunder is that they like to grind through missions to collect points, when the actual reasons are that it looks cool, is easy to play, and it's FREE.

• Upvote 7

Have to agree with BSR on this one! It as though they are trying to find some conditioned reflex to addict gamers who do not actually find the simulation of WW2 air combat addicting in itself. Next thing we will see is that you can loot the shot down wrecks for gold pieces. ;)

Actually, if they need to get a wider array of gamers to play they should follow the advice I gave years ago for RoF but which was foolishly never implemented. Add Dragons.

In gaming, Dragons = $$$. Zero historical research required, FM and DM whatever you want, unlockable balanced dragon sets, no "bar" threads, massive nerd market, princesses in chainmail bikinis....

In a distinct module I hasten to add. The developers would be rich and have lots of funds to support the additional MP and SP features they are now telling us they cannot deliver (yet.... for which I read ever).

I like the idea.

I see it like this. The devs have put all the time in to make it so you could at least put some time in to appreciate their work.

Also it gives you a lot more time to get used to flying other aircraft that you would normally ignore and it also give you more opportunities to improve in the plane you do enjoy.

And you'll get used to flying [insert plane here] without having cannons, so you'll probably improve on your accuracy.

Edited by dave9810

some are already clear:

Bf109F-4:

Gunpods

Bombs

droptank

remove Headarmour

armoured windshield

LaGG-3:

23mm

37mm

Bombs

rockets

the 5. i cant remember

Il-2:

reargunner ( not for premium users)

23mm

37mm

Rockets

the 5. i cant remember

interesting will be what mods the bombers or the Ju87 will get, hopfully they didnt set themselves under stress by wanting 5 items for every plane....

Anyway, Jason said they will make this this way for NOW. if the long betaphase will show "proplems" , he is ok with overthinking this all. So we will see.

Hesitating a guess here if they put these up for sale also in addition to gaining them by XP, I would guess about $10.00 each or $50.00 A set of five. But so far I must admit that I have no idea what they're going to do. Merely  Speculating/guessing.

Chief

Edited by -NW-ChiefRedCloud

I still stand with my opinion that I am (reluctantly) 'willing' to unlock stuff in SP career, (as it currently is planned to be just a string of random QM's) where I will spend quite some time just playing around. But I'm completely opposed to being litteraly forced to play the career, with every plan!. Just to be able to drop the bomb I want, or the rockets or gunpods in MP. I always use the single missions to practise a little, so I can take the practise in the career. But for everything unholy don't lock it for MP, as that will leave a really bad feeling to people that have been combat fligtsimmers for 15+ years, And want a simulator, and play with their squad, or just tag along some new 'friend' in the skies.
If it will be Noob-town in the air.. more easy kills for you! If someone misbehaves, By dropping all the payload on the base they took off from, just ban them for a day or a week

I actually like the campaign mode more than I thought I would. Still won't have the time, interest and patience to unlock everything.

Do everyone a favor and at least let people unlock stuff in MP and QMB.

• Upvote 1

interesting if they turned on the point system for MP, it would be good to unlock thing in MP as well.

On a server such as syndicate, for sure.  On the two official dogfight servers though, that'd be just as bad. 

I think people really need to think carefully of the implications of exp points for online and how it would effect "gameplay" on servers

Cheers Dakpilot

• Upvote 2

I think people really need to think carefully of the implications of exp points for online and how it would effect "gameplay" on servers

Cheers Dakpilot

Agree, exp and reward for MP are gameplay killers and ego booster.

• Upvote 2

I've voted "I like it" but all modes should be available in multiplayer mode. It's not fair forcing people to play campaign if they don't like it.

I tried SP is boring as tripe with oil. And the funny thing is that you can go on autopilot SP without touching joystic. The campaign is similar to that of the ROF just in a different disguised. Experience points should be awarded in SP and MP.

Kameraden,

As I will continue to say when asked, I have zero interest in this system they have put in place. None, nada, zip.....

S!

interesting if they turned on the point system for MP, it would be good to unlock thing in MP as well.

Wouldn't all the things that people hold against "stat whores" just be increased exponentially?

just a crazy thought about unlocking basic stuff:

How long would it take to unlock these if BoS had any of those?????

Don't get me wrong. I loved BoS as it was - unrestricted - and I didn't mind paying for stuff in RoF.

If you have to waste your time for removable headrests.... what would you have to do to have a genuine engine startup? 

This is getting depressing. BOS is too good a sim to be turned into a game no gamer wants to play and no simmer has the nerve to unlock.

Edited by indiaciki

Kameraden,

Shelved it for the moment until they sort this out, have other simulations I can run till then. My main point is that if it is getting reset, then what is the point. Been waiting for some of the control mapping issues to get sorted out and other options are more fun to be honest than having to go through this multiple times.

Not much longer to wait now anyways, until completed.

S!

I think that the "unlockables" in CAMPAING mode are just fine, because that's what a CAMPAING means, to unlock things and advance in a closed story, like some kind of RPG. But in no way that should be required to use any mod/skin in QUICK MISSION or MULTIPLAYER. Quick Mission is to test things, and there's not much to test if you don't have anything to it. And in multiplayer you should be able to equip whatever the hell you want, use the skin you want, or in any case, use the server/mission available content, but never have to unlock it in a Campaing.

I cant understand how a mission makers will make mission effectively...i join a mission and i cant use the equipment i need.

What am i supposed to do? shoot at tank with machinegun? ros82 bottle rockets?

My opinion is this will not work in multiplayer.

I didnt pay $100 to grind. you can do that in war thunder. Im here for simulation.

That may be, but the developers have made it clear the "sim" crowd is not their target audience.

The unlocks, XP and things like that are part of their plan to attract mainstream gamers to BoS. If I recall correctly they said that simmers are at best 5% of the market and thus not a large enough group to focus on.

Edited by Afwastus

As with many others.

I don't mind the idea of unlocks for the SP campaigns, but I generally prefer to fly MP.

Therefore I dislike having to unlock everything in SP to play in MP.

To be honest, like in ROF I would rather pay for the extra weapons mods to use in MP, than have to grind.

However, because of the current situation, I am actually checking out the campaign, and not finding it terrible. So, I guess there is something in that. :scratch_one-s_head:

I don't mind the unlocking, as long as it's available in multiplayer, too.

Restricting unlocks to singleplayer only is hampering the online community and squadrons. 
So, unlocks? Fine, sure, go ahead. In only singleplayer? Not so much.

Reading this thread again is funny watching the reaction of some people, back then and now. :)

It took some people nearly two years to wake up.

Reading this thread again is funny watching the reaction of some people, back then and now. :)

It took some people nearly two years to wake up.

There is an obvious explanation for that.

Shit got real.

WTF well there goes what was looking to be an excellent game for squadrons. Why would you do this to us your loyal customers? 

Jaws2002, if you're annoyed with WT business model then why don't you tell them about it? Having unlockables doesn't make IL2BOS a grind-to-level 24/7 MMO but adds to game's lifetime, adds motivation to try all content and extra interest to obtain new bits of it. And no one puts you into a situation where you fly I-15 vs FW-190 - it's you who set the rules for multiplayer and make it as just as possible since there's no balance in the sim.

This part I don't really understand.... probably because I'm not a SP career player. I can't see what additionnal motivation and extra interest unlocking stuff could bring. If I played solo career, it would be to try to "live" what pilots historically faced. And as far as I know, pilots were flying the missions they were given with the planes and equipment they were assigned in the squadron/regiment. I never heard about pilots having "gained" the right to use gun pods or gaz tanks or to remove the armored plates behind the seat by achieving some objectives and gaining the necessary number of points while flying missions... but again, that's me. Maybe you're right, and this kind of arfificial RPG feature may bring some additionnal motivation and interest to the game for some solo players that are not really interest with the simple challenge to survive and achieve their duties in an hostile and dangerous environnement (I can accept not understanding everything...).

But I still have 2 questions:

- what benefit is there for someone almost only interested in MP to have to unlock mods and planes in solo career? It won't give him any extra motivation nor interest, so what the benefit hor him?

- what benefit is there for pure or mostly solo player to have MP players obliged to unlock mods and planes in solo career? They don't play MP anyway, so there will be no competition between them and MP players.

Don't get me wrong, maybe there is some benefit in one or both case, but I fail to see it, so could you give me some insight?

Some players will certainly try to build coop-like missions in the dogfight mode, even if coop mode will not be available at game launch. Because this is what they want to experience and what gave them their best emotions and souvenirs of the first IL2 game. I think they can live withtout a specific coop mode, since the FMB is powerfull enough to build coop-like mission they can enjoy... but if you bring them more restrictions with unlockable stuff, it will be an additionnal problem not easy to solve. For them, it wont be "additionnal motivation and extra interest", but I guess less motivation and interest.  Maybe these players interest are not the first priority... but please, don't ignore their expectations.

In short... I beg you to avoid to ignore the old IL2 dinosaurs...

+1000

Options... is the operative word here. I have been simming in earnest since 2001 and I have yet to do a full campaign. It bores me. Most of what I do is Quicks, Singles and MP. I don't want to be motivated to use things I don't want to use.. I want to be motivated to use all that is  available to me well. If this is the ongoing stance you are going to take I imagine a lot oif folks will just opt out and fly 46 more.. or CoD... or something else. This sim needs to have options so that those who like campaigns can do the thing their way.

I will see how I feel when the DCS Spitfire comes out... and I know there are many waiting for the P-47 to emerge.

When the Normandy map with all it's period vehicles and equipment turns up next year I'll be hard pushed to stay flying Russian stuff, unless of course they do the Med/Africa :)

I like the Russian front! That was the base in original IL2.. and what good would any IL2 game be without it's namesake. the IL2!?
I never got the feeling that it really were correct to 'ride the success wave' with (IL2) CloD.. when there were none flyable!
Sure I'd like to get my hands on an (early?) BF-110 in some other scenario. But this one will have me going on for quite a while.. if ..one thing gets sorted out

I know... I had the original, and every single product release they put out.

But only because at that time there wasn't a great deal of choice. What really made me fly IL2 every day for years was when they started the ace expansion pack, and we then started getting more western planes and scenarios.

Now however, I'm spoilt for choice with the sims I still fly, plus the DCS aircraft that are now coming online.

Next year we will have the Spit and P-47, plus the map if they manage to keep up to speed.

Whoever out of these two do an Afrika or med expansion will keep me enthralled for years though :)

Edited by Trooper117

I'll be completely honest here... I come from the age of flight sims such as the falcon series, all of the Janes sims, IL-2 at release, ect. ect... Anyone who puts War Thunder in the same sentence something that is suppose to be a combat sim, well their opinion holds no water with me...

I bought this yesterday and I think the sim itself is pretty good, however had I known about this "look at me getting XP to get my bombs, I'm war thunder" crap. I simply would have passed on the purchase...

I wanted to come back and clarify my last statement just a little... The game itself is great, if we could have all of our old favorites done with this level of quality (graphics, effects, Flight model-ish as I'm still out on that one) I would be one happy camper. I mean seriously, can you image playing the old IL-2 maps and planes up through the 1946 or IL-2 CoD release with this system/graphics?!?! lol... I just simply don't like the whole grind for XP thing that so many are into, it's pointless in a sim such as this. For those that say they need more people and MUST reach out to them (meaning the kiddos playing WT or WoP) yeah it isn't going to happen... EVER... They have people like that as well in MechWarrior Online, and even the devs have come out and said they have many people who have not spent a single dime but have played thousands of matches... This isn't the same type of game nor will it ever be, unless you turn it into one... That will be the day I stop playing it.