Jump to content

Battle Of Normandy release date or window??


ghostly_doggo
 Share

Recommended Posts

ghostly_doggo

How's it going everyone, it's been a while since we got an update on the overall progression and time line for Normandy, it's my favorite time of the war and one I'm very anxious to fly. I understand these things take time and patience, and more patience. But if I could get a bit of a news break or general idea of things it would be very much appreciated. Thank you and have a good day.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We get updates all the time - check the Dev diary.

 

Actual “release” date is just an arbitrary “ok it’s released” and too early to tell.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

ShamrockOneFive

The last several Dev Diary's have given us some pretty good insights into Normandy development.

 

Jason's Ready Room post fills in the rest:

 

I'm guessing Q3 2022 for a finish.

 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

ghostly_doggo

Thanks for the quick response from both of you, highly appreciated. I haven't checked in on the form in almost a year, life gets busy but have had time recently to get back into the sim. Looking forward to all the content coming in the next few months and beyond.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mac_Messer

Keep visiting the forum. The dev team is polite to inform on closure of development in advance so people can buy the deluxe edition with preorder discount.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

ghostly_doggo

I will! And I bought it almost a year ago, been flying the spit xiv she's quite punchy, loving the cannons too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

PatrickAWlson

I thought there were hints of mid 2022.  Having said that, any estimate on software delivery that is months out is worth about as much as asking a magic 8-ball.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

sevenless
20 hours ago, ghostly_doggo said:

How's it going everyone, it's been a while since we got an update on the overall progression and time line for Normandy, it's my favorite time of the war and one I'm very anxious to fly. I understand these things take time and patience, and more patience. But if I could get a bit of a news break or general idea of things it would be very much appreciated. Thank you and have a good day.

 

 

Here you have it directly from the devs. Put 3 months for polishing, career mode and finalizing the map on top and you are in Q3/2022 as a nearly realistic ETA. 10months to go and a lot of precious planes we will get until then.

 

Quote

P.S. I forgot to mention the Arado-234 in my post above. Yes, it is in development too and will be ready in Q2 2022. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

AEthelraedUnraed
15 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

I thought there were hints of mid 2022.  Having said that, any estimate on software delivery that is months out is worth about as much as asking a magic 8-ball.

Jason did mention somewhere that if they cannot release it before D-Day 2022, it will seriously impact their ability to make other products. In other words, June 2022 sounds like a pretty hard deadline.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

PatrickAWlson
51 minutes ago, AEthelraedUnraed said:

Jason did mention somewhere that if they cannot release it before D-Day 2022, it will seriously impact their ability to make other products. In other words, June 2022 sounds like a pretty hard deadline.

 

There are three axis of software development (and many other things).  Date, Quality, Content.  Only two of them can be guaranteed at any time.  The third cannot be guaranteed.  If one insists on date and content then only quality can bend - always in the wrong direction.  

 

Up to this point the team has seemed to bend on date, which is usually the best choice.  Sometimes a bit on content, which is also not a bad choice.  Content is delivered when it is ready at a very high level of quality.  Some content may be sacrificed for a time, but it eventually arrives, just maybe not as fast as was originally hoped.  I have great respect for them for making this decision and I hope they are able to continue.  

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dagwoodyt

I care more about the map release date than any of the BoN aircraft. Now that the Mossie is available in DCS World it's no longer as much of a draw. Once we can see what they've been able to accomplish with the map I'll consider BoN for an immediate buy, discount or no.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/14/2021 at 2:27 PM, PatrickAWlson said:

Content is delivered when it is ready at a very high level of quality.

 

The Rheinland map from BoBP was on release not that milestone what some expected from the two years development. High level of quality is patient...............

BTW BoS and BoM were one year development, only BoK was a bit longer. The Quality for one year development very good and BoK helped to improve the BoS Stalingrad map to be more accurate.

 

grafik.thumb.png.912c6adcffb9066e64234a96bd20c9b7.png

 

On 10/14/2021 at 2:27 PM, PatrickAWlson said:

Some content may be sacrificed for a time, but it eventually arrives, just maybe not as fast as was originally hoped. 

 

Just to be real, can you say "eventually arrives" in the job, to the boss or to the teacher? I think not?

-> And if the customer now comes up with the same idea of paying not as fast as was originally hoped or his payment eventually arrives?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

PatrickAWlson
31 minutes ago, Livai said:

 

The Rheinland map from BoBP was on release not that milestone what some expected from the two years development. High level of quality is patient...............

BTW BoS and BoM were one year development, only BoK was a bit longer. The Quality for one year development very good and BoK helped to improve the BoS Stalingrad map to be more accurate.

 

grafik.thumb.png.912c6adcffb9066e64234a96bd20c9b7.png

 

 

Just to be real, can you say "eventually arrives" in the job, to the boss or to the teacher? I think not?

-> And if the customer now comes up with the same idea of paying not as fast as was originally hoped or his payment eventually arrives?

 

The fallacy that rushing work is cost effective.  In any code base that is not single use, this is not true.  Sure, you deliver something fast.  But it is probably a buggy mess and the time that it takes to fix it exceeds the time it would have taken to do it right.  Even worse, now you have garbage, patched code straight from release 1.  Subsequent work on the code base just gets more and more difficult.  I refer to this as trudging up the dung heap and dropping trou.  Best not to start.  If it has already been done, then stop immediately and pull out a shovel (in code terms, refactor/rewrite and get under test).

 

A good organization allows work to be completed with quality.  Individual performance is measured by their productivity over time.  Continuous improvement is the goal and not death marches to dates.  This is not pie in the sky.  Good organizations actually do this.  It does, however, require well educated management. 

 

Demanding delivery by a date and then beating people is so much easier, which is why so many managers reach for that particular stick.  That says more about the manager than the employee.

 

And yes, a manager can be told that something will take longer.  A customer can also be told that something will take longer.  The way that many software organizations are handling this is to not promise a date in the first place.  it's ready when it's done with quality, and the customer can have it then.

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/12/2021 at 9:39 PM, ghostly_doggo said:

Thanks for the quick response from both of you, highly appreciated. I haven't checked in on the form in almost a year, life gets busy but have had time recently to get back into the sim. Looking forward to all the content coming in the next few months and beyond.

 

The Dev diaries are pretty fascinating - so I'd personally recommend reading through them when you get a chance!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/15/2021 at 8:05 PM, PatrickAWlson said:

 

The fallacy that rushing work is cost effective.  In any code base that is not single use, this is not true.  Sure, you deliver something fast.  But it is probably a buggy mess and the time that it takes to fix it exceeds the time it would have taken to do it right.  Even worse, now you have garbage, patched code straight from release 1.  Subsequent work on the code base just gets more and more difficult.  I refer to this as trudging up the dung heap and dropping trou.  Best not to start.  If it has already been done, then stop immediately and pull out a shovel (in code terms, refactor/rewrite and get under test).

 

A good organization allows work to be completed with quality.  Individual performance is measured by their productivity over time.  Continuous improvement is the goal and not death marches to dates.  This is not pie in the sky.  Good organizations actually do this.  It does, however, require well educated management. 

 

Demanding delivery by a date and then beating people is so much easier, which is why so many managers reach for that particular stick.  That says more about the manager than the employee.

 

And yes, a manager can be told that something will take longer.  A customer can also be told that something will take longer.  The way that many software organizations are handling this is to not promise a date in the first place.  it's ready when it's done with quality, and the customer can have it then.

 

 

That cat mastered it.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...