Seren77

Snap View tutorial for custom camera saves

Hi I enjoy learning and making tutorials. The camera system in Battle of Stalingrad is very good but perhaps a little confusing.

All the information is in the video but I'll add some reference keys here.

F9 will toggle your TrackIR on and off allowing you to free look with mouse.

Insert Home PageUp

Delete End PageDown     -   control the position of the pilots head

Mouse controls the angle you are looking.

Mouse wheel controls the FoV (zoom)

F10 Saves the Camera position and angle.

The video can be found here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mYhtsL3EfQ

Edited by Seren77
  • Upvote 12

Thanks Seren I not sure I understand the difference between Snap and Pan mode. There is also on the Default view drop down option a list of 3 or 4 choice that are alien to me. Do you know what they are? 

Thanks Seren I not sure I understand the difference between Snap and Pan mode. There is also on the Default view drop down option a list of 3 or 4 choice that are alien to me. Do you know what they are? 

Good questions. I have had a play with them and come to this conclusion.

A lot of the functions seem to depend on whether you are using trackir/freetrack/facetracknoir or not 

F9 is listed as Snap - Pan - Additive

Though if you have a TrackIR on all it will do is enable or disable TrackIR, just toggle it on or off.

If you load the game without a trackIR it does switch between three modes.

mode 1 (probably snap) - your PoV hat will snap to the view (look at left wing while holding left) once released it snaps back to centre.

mode 2 (probably additive) - your PoV hat will snap to the view (look at left wing while holding left) once released it does not snap back to centre.

mode 3 (probably pan) - you can use the PoV to free look

As to those alien choices like gradual and quick view they do nothing if you have your trackIR light is on.

I did not test so I'm not 100% but I assume for now they affect the way Snap - Pan - Additive works for non TrackIR users. (I'll have to test when I get more time)

Hope that helps.

To save you time testing everything Seren, if there is anything you are unsure about have a read of the RoF manual. It's the same camera system so it should include these details.

I have also mapped my TIR Center and Toggle keys to joystick buttons so they do not interfere with IL2 BOS default camera controls

Edited by jcomm
  • Upvote 1

Thanks Requiem I have not played with RoF for years but I was starting to wonder that. Jcomm I also did not realise F9 was the toggle key for the trackir software itself, I have only got trackir5 last week. That explains things.

Hi guys from 1 C and 777,

why it is not possible to make pilot head moving to every ways when i am holding the right mouse button?
It's quite accurate and easy to use. For example, that this was done by fans in the patch of older versions IL 1946 and in CoD too.
It would be better for a lot of players who do not have TrackIR system.  :)

In every way this Sturmovik BoS is the best game and thank you for fantastic job  :salute: 

Hi guys from 1 C and 777,

why it is not possible to make pilot head moving to every ways when i am holding the right mouse button?

It's quite accurate and easy to use. For example, that this was done by fans in the patch of older versions IL 1946 and in CoD too.

It would be better for a lot of players who do not have TrackIR system.  :)

In every way this Sturmovik BoS is the best game and thank you for fantastic job  :salute: 

The views set  up nightmare for non TiR users is the only reason I do not bother with this game any more.

Shame as I think the game has potential

Edited by EAF19_Charlie

forzamikeforzamike

This is already set on game, HAT usage have four different modes, selectable with F-9 (mapped on "Pilot head control"), the "default" HAT view (when install the game or reset controls) is the 1st.

1st - Centered snap - Move HAT, e.g right the POV move an when you release the HAT the POV move back to center.

2nd - Fixed snap - Move HAT, the POV move to right and when you release the HAT, the POV stay in right, moving HAT for right-down (135º) the POV move to right and back, HAT at 180, look straight at head rest... To center do the inverse way or use F5.

3rd - Additive snap - This mode is incremental, move HAT right, POV move to 90º, move right again move to 135º.  To center do the inverse way or use F5.

4rth - Pan view - This mode is what similar to what you say, move HAT right, the POV move according HAT pressure - or at any angle. To center do the inverse way or use F5, or better map a joystick button to do this. On CH Combatstick I use the big button under POV HAT to recenter the view, and you can set this button to reset with specif FOV angle.

In this mode the HAT move the camera freely like you do with mouse (what to do with HAT in il-2'46 or CloD need use with JoyToKey or NewView).

And the best is the game remember the last mode used, so if you select and use the 4rth, this became "default" when you start the game again. :)

The views set  up nightmare for non TiR users is the only reason I do not bother with this game any more.

But is not need set nothing, is already done, just understand how use. Other function that people see unaware is the use of keypad DEL/"," modifier for another fixed view, that allow, combined with keypad #8 instant look at gunsight with maximum zoom.

Sokol1

Edited by Sokol1

A little help please guys,I understand the views and don't really have any problems,just need a little info.

Just now I can use the "head snap modifier down" along with say Hat switch right to look at my lower right hand side panel.

Is there a way to move the view to somewhere else in the cockpit and save the it so that when I press this combo again it won't go to right hand panel,but to the place I saved it to?

I know f10 saves the views but I am not sure how to save the modifier+hat switch type of view.

Hope you get my meaning,

Cheers,

Mick. :)

Hi Mick, I am not sure, I don't recall seeing that but it's been awhile. Look in the keybinds and see if there is a a bind for it. I don't think there was though.

Great video. I think I'll use this to get a "snap to gunsight" view setup on my stick. And it works good with TrackIR on right?

What do I fiddle with in the camera view settings to get the external views (F2,F4) of the plane to be more responsive? Right now adjusting the sliders just seems to affect in cockpit view speed. How do I do it for external? 

hey guys!

I am curious... could it be possible for me to have my view centered at all times and only have free mouse look when pressing a certain button?

Like for example, I am flying around with my joystick and everything is fine, my view is centered to my crosshair and I can move my mouse with nothing happening. Now I want to look to the left, I so press a button and can look around with my mouse, but upon releasing the button, my view snaps back to the crosshair, ignoring the mouse again.

I hope this is not too confusing.

Thanks guys!

Ladies and Gentlemen,

View question for everyone...

Is there a way to look around using the snap view that is completely zoomed out so you can see more of the direction to which you have selected?

I use the hat to look around and when I do the pilots head seems to zoom in rather than stay with his head on the headrest and look in that direction...

As of now when i move the pilots head since it is semi zoomed I have to zoom out every time that I move his head to get the full picture.

If anyone has advice or knows how to make all your views zoomed out until you want to zoom in I would greatly appreciate it.

Best,

Lawrence