I can play IL2 for about five minutes

smink1701

I have been supporting IL2 since day one but I'm afraid my loyalty may be coming to end end.

I am a SP user and after five minutes I go back to MSFS 2020, You Tube or something else.  Just getting old.

The AI seems like they are playing at a level I can't to in terms of speed, maneuverability and marksmanship.

For all the support and updates, I never see much of a difference.

The graphics and sounds, especially plane engines are getting a bit dated.  MSFS 2020 is just so next level.

It's like watching a beloved friend start to lose it.  

• Haha 2

Salutations,

Correct me if I am wrong but you seem to be claiming that the games AI has been made unfairly to good for you to contend with. If that is the case, then I agree, it is probably better for you go to an another game.

I for one don't expect or want the AI dumbed down at all.  :salute:

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Feathered_IV

I don’t begrudge Il-2 for being an older game.  There’s a reason it got to be old :)

I haven’t bought any new products for a couple of years though.  I’ve been getting some harassment from one of the regular forum members who is trying to force me out of the community.  He has weaponised that laughing face emoji and has been using it to try and stop me taking part in conversations.  It isn’t much, but I find it chases me out of the Store rather than the forums.  Which is a shame as I would really like to support FC2 and catch up on nearly a dozen collector’s planes and campaigns. 

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 3

BraveSirRobin
1 hour ago, smink1701 said:

I have been supporting IL2 since day one but I'm afraid my loyalty may be coming to end end.

I am a SP user and after five minutes I go back to MSFS 2020, You Tube or something else.  Just getting old.

The AI seems like they are playing at a level I can't to in terms of speed, maneuverability and marksmanship.

The graphics and sounds, especially plane engines are getting a bit dated.  MSFS 2020 is just so next level.

Just to be clear, you think the AI is too good?  In IL-2 GB?  

3 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

I haven’t bought any new products for a couple of years though.  I’ve been getting some harassment from one of the regular forum members who is trying to force me out of the community.  He has weaponised that laughing face emoji and has been using it to try and stop me taking part in conversations.  It isn’t much, but I find it chases me out of the Store rather than the forums.  Which is a shame as I would really like to support FC2 and catch up on nearly a dozen collector’s planes and campaigns. 

Someone posting a laughing face emoji is causing you to not buy a product that you enjoy?  😀

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Feathered_IV
11 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

Someone posting a laughing face emoji is causing you to not buy a product that you enjoy?  😀

It’s been going on for a long time.   It hasn’t prevented me using what I already have, but it takes the fun out of buying anything further.   It wasn’t a big deal before, but I noticed it is really starting to add up. 

• Haha 2

BraveSirRobin
2 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

It’s been going on for a long time.   It hasn’t prevented me using what I already have, but it takes the fun out of buying anything further.   It wasn’t a big deal before, but I noticed it is really starting to add up. 

Maybe stop looking at the forum and just enjoy stuff that you enjoy?   It they enabled a middle finger emoji and everyone on this forum responded to every one of my posts with it, I would not allow it to ruin my enjoyment of the game.  In fact, considering how much I despise so many of you, I would consider it a badge of honor.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Feathered_IV
1 minute ago, BraveSirRobin said:

considering how much I despise so many of you,

Dang, I love you guys!! 
Honestly, I don’t think I would want to go a day without everyone here.  ❤️❤️❤️

• Like 1

BraveSirRobin
2 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

Dang, I love you guys!! 
Honestly, I don’t think I would want to go a day without everyone here.  ❤️❤️❤️

And yet a laughing face emoji has prevented you from buying a product that you enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

SeaSerpent

The OP knows he can choose the level of AI difficulty, or not?

And honestly Feathered IV, we didn’t need to hear that really sad tear-jerker story, now, did we? At least not in a thread that is apparently about the prowess of the AI. 

Edited by SeaSerpent
  • Upvote 1

brahguevara
5 hours ago, smink1701 said:

the easy ai is very easy are you sure you have it on the lowest ai setting?
can always try multiplayer?

kestrel444x500

I'm not sure how old the OP is. I've got a few years racked up, past 65. Usually in quick missions I set AI at random. Mostly I fly WW1. That's a bit slower paced. In career currently I'm flying an I-16. I suppose the AI in career is fairly random. 

5 hours ago, smink1701 said:

People change, tastes change. You evidently don't enjoy combat sims anymore. That's unfortunate, but you have alternatives.

I just don't see why you need to turn this into something like... IL-2 is failing you somehow?

It's a game, not an alcoholic father you haven't seen since you were twelve. The game doesn't owe you anything.

simfan2015

You wrote "...after five minutes I go back to MSFS 2020..." !?

I would have understood if that would be e.g. DCS World or CloD or so, but MSFS ?

MSFS does have nicer backdrop scenery and weather simulation, but that seems about it to me.

You also wrote "... The graphics and sounds, especially plane engines are getting a bit dated. ..."

IMHO this has been improved considerably in IL-2, and BTW did you try "Ultra Settings" yet on a 4K OLED screen ?

About getting bored ... that I do understand.

There are so many other great games/sims out there but I do doubt you could find more thrill (in gaming) than I can in IL-2 GB and CloD !?

If you do find such a game that can keep your attention/thrill more than IL-2 then please let me know, but MS FS, really ?

I, personally, play quite a number of other games/sims as well (DCS, CloD, ED, UBOAT ...) and thus I have limited time to enjoy IL-2 GB ... maybe that is why I don't get bored by it. Changing 'scenery'/game-type(s) once in a while is what keeps me interested. If I would fly IL-2 GB/CloD all week it would also start to annoy me. 

You have been supporting IL-2 from day 1 ... that is quite some time !

Everyone may/will get that same feeling with every game/hobby they are dedicated to for so long.

I had stopped playing DCS for years, only to come back to it after it was improved quite a bit.

I play IL-2 (mostly SP like you) only for a few years and in the end I will probably feel the same like you I guess.

Then I will stop playing it as well but probably return to it later.

As always and indeed ... YMMV though.

Edited by simfan2015

ArchAngelOsis

cool more germans for me to shoot down....

and atleast playing at the easiest AI difficulty...for me a person who literally starts a mission..turns on autopilot till we hit combat then blapps germans...runs away and turns autopilot back on lol.....I have 40+ plane kills in a soviet plane that dances around where you want to shoot (Mig3)

Keep trying eventually you will get the hang of it...or dont upto you eitherway I shall continue to down Luftwaffles :P

• Like 1

Zooropa_Fly

Forget the fighters and get some ground-pounding done !

As for the 'laughing' thing - I'd like to see the back of it to be honest.

Or at least a different one to represent 'sarcasm' - which the laughing one is used for more often than not.

And with sarcasm being what it is, that would show certain individuals up for what they are.

At the same time it's not worth losing sleep to stuff like that - it's just pixels.

S!

Edited by Zooropa_Fly
  • Haha 2

NoelGallagher

yes sounds and graphic espcially lighting needs to be improved

after suggesting the lighting improvement i got warned by jason  lol

maybe he got offended by me putting DCS picture on it

after that i read a lot of dev diaries and recognize that this company lacks resources to do such a job

so i understand ( i thought they were big company who had a lot of resources as il-2 1946 was)

so i dropped my expectaion

let's just appreciate that they still update the game regulary and make the change where it's necessory 

not a lot of "small game company" does this 

they just drop the game and left it alone

so in that perspective they are amazing developers and i appreciate their work

Edited by NoelGallagher
  • Like 1

kestrel444x500

I thought about buying MS flight sim for about 5 minutes. I couldn't see the point tottering around the sky in a Cessna or God forbid a Boeing. I've had IL-2 since the very earliest versions that ran on Win 98. They were really something back then. I think it's great to be able to buzz around the sky in a Fokker Dr1 or Yak. IL-2 lets me do that., and that's what I love.

*sweats in ace level AI is too easy* 

What's your difficulty settings? Are you managing the engine or is the game? 

How familiar are you with A2A maneuvers? 

Lead, lag and pure pursuit? 

What's your energy management like? 

Do you feel like you're always stalling?

=VARP=Ribbon
13 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

I don’t begrudge Il-2 for being an older game.  There’s a reason it got to be old :)

Ahh man, never let others especially those kind of ppl affect your enjoyment!

Every forum and workplace has that kind of ppl (r.alpinists)....they're not worth attention or consideration.

Go buy those toys and have fun :)

P.S. after this comment that same Butt-head (mtv) goes around and puts "haha" reaction on my posts 😂😂😂, starting to be sympathetic tbh

Edited by =VARP=Ribbon
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

In a quick missions I usually fly 1v2 ace.

Before the last few updates I rarely got shot down.

Since the last few updates its got more dangerous but still I often win.

After reading another post someone said set the AI to random for the best results.

I was not convinced as I thought if I get lower AI levels it would be too easy.

Well since I set the AI to random I have been trashed in many fights!!

It seems to provide a greater degree of enemy moves ,and for me at least makes it more challenging surprisingly.

1v1 on any level never seems a threat,as your finding the AI a difficulty I think you may have got used to the less deadly AI of old.

This is good for the sim but not for you alas......all I can say is stick with it and dont get too downhearted....learn to get on terms with the new AI and maybe you will be glad the are no longer as much cannon fodder as before!

VA_chikinpickle

Come and fly in multiplayer with real skilled humans as your opponent friend. It will cure your boredom quickly!!

• Upvote 3

[DBS]Browning
9 hours ago, VA_chikinpickle said:

Come and fly in multiplayer with real skilled humans as your opponent friend. It will cure your boredom quickly!!

Even better, come fly with skilled humans as your wingmen!

• Upvote 1

On 9/23/2021 at 9:11 PM, VA_chikinpickle said:

Skilled humans are actually easier to catch by surprise and just blast out of the sky. The AI will always see you and defend. 

• Confused 1

VA_chikinpickle
22 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

Skilled humans are actually easier to catch by surprise and just blast out of the sky. The AI will always see you and defend. 

Easier to catch by surprise, but if you dont then the fights are much better.

11 minutes ago, VA_chikinpickle said:

Easier to catch by surprise, but if you dont then the fights are much better.

Yeah but just like in reality actual dogfights are rare. Mostly MP is just people zapping each other unawares. Like how the real war was, assume that you play without icons. 

• Confused 1

VA_chikinpickle

That hasn't been my experience. 

Online is really fun. 

First, when you fly online you, and many others will be flying with wingmen or even multiple wingmen. So you get into multi plane engagements often. There is almost always a server with huge fur balls. There's a lot more to consider. If you are good, and your opponent are good, then yes, it is a lot more rare to shoot down a competent pilot if he sees you coming. He can generate all sorts of creative and interesting BFM problems for you to solve and then escape in the meantime. Maintaining SA becomes the biggest challenge.

But, where the fun lies is that your opponent is human. He will make mistakes, you will make mistakes. What now? Sometimes, your mistake will be deadly. Other times, your opponent will miss his opportunity or you get lucky. And likewise, you are much less likely to be shot down if you don't make a mistake and maintain your SA. It's very dynamic. No icons, but there are icon servers. But, when you get your opportunities to attack an aware opponent sometimes they will make mistakes, misjudge a situation and you will shoot them down in those opportunities. There are icon servers if that's your jam, but once you get used to spotting it isn't too bad. 

You can check out some gameplay videos if you want. Some of us flying on comms with wingmen and some solo flights. All great dogfights.  

• Upvote 1

[DBS]Browning
On 9/26/2021 at 9:13 PM, SharpeXB said:

Yeah but just like in reality actual dogfights are rare. Mostly MP is just people zapping each other unawares. Like how the real war was, assume that you play without icons. 

You need a wingman (or several).

More eyes in the sky and even if one gets jumped, the rest are ready to have a real fight.

6 hours ago, VA_chikinpickle said:

Online is really fun.

Well sorta… I hardly ever see any groups flying in any coordinated way. Most MP experience involves scouting the sky for 40 minutes and seeing nothing. The maps are too large for the typical number of players and the silly mission design everywhere is to spread targets all over the map, the result of which is that the players will never see one another. It’s exceedingly dull. 
Contrast that to SP career where you’ll always see aircraft in groups, which is more realistic and engaging. Funny, if you could bushwhack an AI the way you can a human player everyone would consider the AI to be broken. Maybe the OP thinks they’re too tough because they aren’t oblivious 😆

• Confused 1

GodTickles

How can an AI that will predictably fly in a right hand circle, even at ace setting, be to hard. I have recently moved and I am waiting for internet equipment to show up. So I haven't been ablento fly against anything but AI. And it is painful because of how bad the AI are. This isn't meant as a criticism against the gane as I just don't think good AI tech is available to a game. But saying its to difficult,  thats hard to swallow. 

• 3 weeks later...

MSFS, just a sim for sofa tourists? You can't even crash a plane and get that 'you're killed' message, let alone a nice fireball to accompany the event.

22 hours ago, jollyjack said:

MSFS, just a sim for sofa tourists? You can't even crash a plane and get that 'you're killed' message, let alone a nice fireball to accompany the event.

Well it is a flight simulator, not a crash simulator 😆

• Sad 1

On 9/24/2021 at 8:03 AM, [DBS]Browning said:

Even better, come fly with skilled humans as your wingmen!

Naw. I prefer my AI wingmen. They know me very well. They know I'm a glory hog and want all the victory credits. So... they stay out of my way and let me do most of the fighting.  Happiness for all involved.  🙂