IL2 Engine Keeps Dying Mid-Flight (Using Expert Realism Settings)

Sloppyclock

Sloppyclock

Hi all,

Feel a bit silly having to ask this but I'm really struggling with the IL2 engine.  Currently doing career in expert mode, and I'm finding that the engine is dying after around 20 minutes.  I have the oil and water radiator open.  I monitor all the dials like a hawk and everything seems to be sitting within healthy ranges, but tbh I might be mis-reading some.  Water and oil though are definately good.  Normally the rpm counter will start to bounce and then a couple of minutes later complete loss of power.  I've managed to land once and when trying to restart the engine there was a light grinding noise, but no engine restart.

General engine management procedure for me from the runway is:

1) Set oil and water radiator to 100%

2) Mixture to 50%

3) Throttle up to max, takeoff

4) Throttle back to 80% (manifold pressure @ 10)

And thats it.  So far I've always taken a few hits but the engine seems to die pretty consistently at the same point.

Any advice is appreciated!

Do you have RPM mapped at all to any axis? Can't remember by heart, but pretty sure that 100% RPM will kill the engine in the long run in the Il-2's.

Engine modes:

Nominal (unlimited time): 2050 RPM, 1180 mm Hg

Boosted power (up to 10 minutes) 2150 RPM, 1280 mm Hg

I think your engine timer kills your engine, turn on instrument panle option to get messages in tech chat when your enginetimer is up

Edited by CountZero

cardboard_killer
12 hours ago, Sloppyclock said:

So far I've always taken a few hits but the engine seems to die pretty consistently at the same point.

Can you re-create the seizure flying without opposition (in order to ensure damage isn't causing the seizure)?

What is your RPM?

Edited by cardboard_killer
Mixture is automatic!

Its 100% engine timer, with settings he posted hes flying in bost mod all the time, and if techchat messages that tell you when engine time run out are not buged (work only when instrument panel is turned on) he would see when his time is out, and could stop using bosted then and his engine would not blow out. This game is simple, timers kill engines, him not using 100% of boost mode, extends boost from 5 or 10min to time when his engine dies. But hey why fix this simple bug so we can use engine timers how game wonts us to use them with tech chat, when we have forum.

Hes looking at wrng things, oil temp, water temp lol thats things real pilots had to monitor, here you look at minuts and seconds to control your engine so it dont blow up.

Edited by CountZero

HotPursuit

It's your RPM too high!!

After take-off lower it to 2050 RPM asap for cruising.

In the IL-2 you can leave the throttle fully forward. (With the mixture set to 50% the boost will be limited to 1180 mm Hg).

Mixture control is automatic when set to 50%.

Boost mode is engaged by setting mixture lever to 100%

I take-off using boost (ie both rpm and mixture set to 100%). Once airborne I lower mixture to 50% and reduce rpm to 2050.

cardboard_killer
4 hours ago, HotPursuit said:

In the IL-2 you can leave the throttle fully forward. (With the mixture set to 50% the boost will be limited to 1180 mm Hg)

Jeez, I'm embarrassed to say I didn't know that! I don't fly the Il-2 much, but still . . .