AAA Question

Beebop

Two completely identical missions.

Kuban map on the big lake (Abrau?) East of Krasnodar.

June 1, 1943

Clear skies.

One set at dawn. (6AM)

One at dusk. (845PM)  This mission has working searchlights.

Attack profile very low, >100 ft in A-20 attacking a dam.  Searchlights don't find me until I pull up after attack although they have line of sight as I approach.

Here's the question;

The AAA defenses fire at dawn as I approach.

At dusk they don't fire until after I attack.

Identical AAA setup placement and logic for both sets of defenses.

Am I doing something wrong or does the AAA AI actually not see me until after I attack at dusk?

I tried flying at 1000 feet and letting the searchlights catch me early before I dropped thinking that maybe then the AAA would start firing but they didn't until after I dropped bombs.

Or is this a game 'feature'?  :unsure:😁

AEthelraedUnraed

1st of all, for the Kuban map the relevant dawn/dusk times are as follows (data\scg\scripts\15daytime.cfg):

[Daytime]
		period="05.02","06.01"
		sunrise="05.40"
		sunset="20.00"
[end]

I'm not sure if these files are actually used to determine when the sun rises or sets, or merely for the career generator to determine when it should start/stop to generate certain mission types, but at least it gives a rough indication of whether it's night or day. Using these values, it's clear the 0600 flight is during daytime, while the 2045 flight is not. This also explains why only your dusk mission has working searchlights; these automatically switch off at sunrise.

The AI indeed behaves differently after dusk, when it gets much harder for them to spot you. You can also see this if you try to intercept a flight of B-25s in the middle of the night: you can approach to something like 100m before their gunners spot you, or indeed when you start to fire yourself, you're immediately spotted (makes sense).

The fact that the searchlights won't find you if you're flying treetop level also makes sense: you can generally hear the direction an airplane approaches from, but estimating its altitude based on the engine noise is much harder.

After nightfall, AAA should fire at you if you're locked on to by the searchlights. If that doesn't happen, there's definitely something strange going on. Did you use Force Complete Low?

Thanks @AEthelraedUnraed for the quick reply and detailed response.

Searchlights are not in the "day" mission as i knew they wouldn't work or be needed.  Otherwise they are fine for the dusk mission and react as I wanted them to given the situation.  (low and fast approach)

5 minutes ago, AEthelraedUnraed said:

After nightfall, AAA should fire at you if you're locked on to by the searchlights. If that doesn't happen, there's definitely something strange going on. Did you use Force Complete Low?

Actually no.  I enabled a single AAA unit with a Complex Trigger/Activate MCU combo and an AttackArea MCU set to 'High'.  The AAA and AttackArea are activated 2 seconds after I enter the Complex trigger radius.  The other pair are a Group using Close/Far logic.  (I use these groups a lot and this is the only instance where they have failed to act as expected). 

Neither group fires until after I attack.  If I just fly over and don't do anything aggressive they do not shoot even if in the searchlights beam(s) although sometimes they will start several seconds after flying by or during a turnaround if in MCU radius's. 

All AAA units AI set to 'Medium'.

AEthelraedUnraed
2 hours ago, Beebop said:

Actually no.  I enabled a single AAA unit with a Complex Trigger/Activate MCU combo and an AttackArea MCU set to 'High'.  The AAA and AttackArea are activated 2 seconds after I enter the Complex trigger radius.  The other pair are a Group using Close/Far logic.  (I use these groups a lot and this is the only instance where they have failed to act as expected). 

Could you try with a ForceComplete set to Low instead of the AttackArea? For me, that seems to give the most reliable results for AAA, unless of course I want to limit the AI target to aircraft within a certain radius. Also, don't forget the delay between the Trigger:Activate and the ForceComplete as otherwise the latter might trigger before the AAA actually exists and the command might fail to realise.

• Thanks 1