Developer Diary 293 - Discussion

Jason_Williams

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams

Dear Pilots,

Tough, busy week for the team so we simply leave you with images with some Ju-88 C-6 in flight (please ignore the incorrect sheen on some of it's glass) and a render of our USS Gleaves Class Destroyer with full textures applied. The cockpit for the C-6 is under development, but when it's ready it will be a lot of fun to tear up ground and maritime targets! 

Full text and visuals HERE. Keep the discussion on this target please.

Jason

• Like 11
  • Thanks 7
  • Upvote 4

That's a good looking plane. Nice work team!

It's no 410 but i don't wanna seem ungrateful so I'm gonna shut up now 😄 

• Haha 5
  • Upvote 1

I am seeing external bombs on the Ju-88 C-6. Have you found prove that external bombs could be carried by the C-6?

• Upvote 1

dotDeutschland

C-6 looking really nice, cant wait to try it out, if it performs similar to the C-4 in CloD itll be great!

Jade_Monkey

She is a beauty. 

Anything that came up during the development that resulted in improvements of the Ju88 A4? (I don't have any "issues" in mind btw).

Ships looking great too!

• Upvote 2

ShamrockOneFive

Nice! I think the Ju88C-6 is going to be a sleeper for me. Not at the top of my list of airplanes I was excited about (Mossie, Typhoon, XIV? So good!), it might end up being surprisingly fun to fly.

looks quite nice; excited for the Normandy map and planes. P-47 Razorback is one of my all-time favorite planes, looking forward to shooting down some of the new Ju-88s in it over the beachhead ;) 

• Like 1

Not sure why but I’ve always found that spotted camo on late war Ju-88s attractive. 

• Upvote 2

• 1CGS
21 minutes ago, Juri_JS said:

I am seeing external bombs on the Ju-88 C-6. Have you found prove that external bombs could be carried by the C-6?

Ju88C6_14KG40.jpg.40991a26039412e3a142ddfff6810ebe.jpg

+

http://www.ghostbombers.com/Bongart/ZG1_a.html?LMCL=XdU6NR&LMCL=H4yh9q&LMCL=GEjew7&LMCL=irOtyX&LMCL=CO346X

+

From "Sea Eagles vol.2.Luftwaffe Antishipping Units 1942-1945" Classic Pub, p174:

---

A week later, the Allies invaded Normandy and the Luftwaffe was forced to rush reinforcements within ränge of the beachhead. The first of 2. Jagdkorps’ units to be sent to the skies over Normandy were the Junkers 88 C-6s and R-2s of ZG 1. For the weeks preceding the Invasion, they had carried out anti-invasion patrols so it came as no surprise that on the afternoon of 6 June 1944, they were committed to battle, as Uffz Aegidius Berzborn recalls:

"The days before the Invasion began, there had been permanent air attacks on our bases so that we were often forced to move to other airfields. Then came the ‘Longest Day’, the Invasion. I do not remember how many missions we flew to the Orne Estuary and for those missions, our planes carried bombs under the wings.
Our losses du ring these attacks were enormous. I saw how my comrades were butchered. The combats were so cruel and the enemy’s air superiority was overwhelming..."

---

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5
  • Upvote 6

Looks awesome. 

Can't wait to do some depot strikes in it 😁 

Do we know what type of bomb loadouts it can carry?

Edited by Denum

-=PHX=-SuperEtendard

Shouldn't the Ju 88C-6 have a different type of windshield? with straight frames rather than the curved one for the machine gun housing at the left of the pilot in the regular Ju 88A? Also with armored glass.

full?d=1523173006

ju88-1.jpg

Junkers-Ju-88C6-8.NJG2-(R4+LS)-Friedrich

Also noticeable in the photo Viks posted.

Edited by -=PHX=-SuperEtendard
  • Upvote 2

• 1CGS
23 minutes ago, -=PHX=-SuperEtendard said:

Shouldn't the Ju 88C-6 have a different type of windshield? with straight frames rather than the curved one for the machine gun housing at the left of the pilot in the regular Ju 88A? Also with armored glass.
--
Also noticeable in the photo Viks posted.

the one on DD screenshots - is with default windscreen, like these ones:

default_windshield_01.jpg.8f8522965acd410bea844bb3b6a5f90d.jpgdefault_windshield_02.thumb.jpg.b3bd2bab39ef6c05af2e55caee281af2.jpg

Armoured windscreen and upper nose plate (like one prev posts photos) - will be available as modification ;)

• Like 18
  • Thanks 7
  • Upvote 5

-=TW=-BiggieB

What's the difference between the A-4 and the C-6? Wikipedia says: 

Ju 88 C-6
Heavy fighter and Night fighter, based on A-4, Jumo 211J engines with 1,044 kW (1,401 hp), 900 built

Which sounds no different than the A-4.

Thank You! My Friday is now saved and I can stare these pics without a need to go any other pages. 

Can we get Chuck Norris as a co-pilot to C-6 since it will be a scary thing to fly with Typhoons  Spit IX /XIV, P-47:s and Mossies there.

:salute: JLean

ShamrockOneFive
5 minutes ago, -=TW=-BiggieB said:

What's the difference between the A-4 and the C-6? Wikipedia says: 

Ju 88 C-6
Heavy fighter and Night fighter, based on A-4, Jumo 211J engines with 1,044 kW (1,401 hp), 900 built

Which sounds no different than the A-4.

Instead of being optimized for bomber operations, the C-6 has a nose full of guns (MG17 and MG-FF/M or MG151/20) a bit like some of the converted Allied bombers.

• Thanks 1

Lord_Strange

I hope we get at least one official skin with the fake glass nose painted on, it'll be interesting to see if it fools anyone in multiplayer into a fatal head-on attack.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

PLEASE  PLEASE  PLEASE !

1) Put a man behind each machine gun or AAA gun on the destroyer.

2) Make the flags float in the wind and not be a rigid piece of cheap plastic.

Thank you, thank you very much for your even slightest attention to this post.

I cannot wait to be repeatedly shot down in MP while flying the C-6. The Duck will have competition for status as the plane that I spend the most time making futile ground attack missions in!

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Juri_JS said:

2 hours ago, =FB=VikS said:

Ju88C6_14KG40.jpg.40991a26039412e3a142ddfff6810ebe.jpg

+

http://www.ghostbombers.com/Bongart/ZG1_a.html?LMCL=XdU6NR&LMCL=H4yh9q&LMCL=GEjew7&LMCL=irOtyX&LMCL=CO346X

+

From "Sea Eagles vol.2.Luftwaffe Antishipping Units 1942-1945" Classic Pub, p174:

---

A week later, the Allies invaded Normandy and the Luftwaffe was forced to rush reinforcements within ränge of the beachhead. The first of 2. Jagdkorps’ units to be sent to the skies over Normandy were the Junkers 88 C-6s and R-2s of ZG 1. For the weeks preceding the Invasion, they had carried out anti-invasion patrols so it came as no surprise that on the afternoon of 6 June 1944, they were committed to battle, as Uffz Aegidius Berzborn recalls:

"The days before the Invasion began, there had been permanent air attacks on our bases so that we were often forced to move to other airfields. Then came the ‘Longest Day’, the Invasion. I do not remember how many missions we flew to the Orne Estuary and for those missions, our planes carried bombs under the wings.
Our losses du ring these attacks were enormous. I saw how my comrades were butchered. The combats were so cruel and the enemy’s air superiority was overwhelming..."

---

I thought I'd add that there is some indication Ju-88 night fighters were increasingly used in a night bomber role towards the end of the war. Ju-88G captured in 1945 sometimes had all four external bomb racks! So it might have been more common in the BoBP time-frame than we think - at least during period where ground attack was prioritised like The Bulge and Nordwind... So I'm rather glad we're getting the option...!

1 hour ago, =FB=VikS said:

the one on DD screenshots - is with default windscreen, like these ones:

default_windshield_01.jpg.8f8522965acd410bea844bb3b6a5f90d.jpgdefault_windshield_02.thumb.jpg.b3bd2bab39ef6c05af2e55caee281af2.jpg

Armoured windscreen and upper nose plate (like one prev posts photos) - will be available as modification ;)

Lovely to hear!!

Is there any word on whether we'll get the mixed MG-FF/MG-151 cannon armament as an option?

Edited by Avimimus
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Luftschiff said:

Schräge musik? :)

That'd be in the Ju-88C6b variant as a field mod... this is the C6a alas...

We'll be lucky if we get more than one cannon option for the nose... we're not getting the crazy jazz.

39 minutes ago, IckyATLAS said:

PLEASE  PLEASE  PLEASE !

1) Put a man behind each machine gun or AAA gun on the destroyer.

2) Make the flags float in the wind and not be a rigid piece of cheap plastic.

Thank you, thank you very much for your even slightest attention to this post.

But there is no wind 0n the Moon!

(sorry, couldn't resist)

• Haha 1