6 PDR Mollins aircraft cannon ammunition

=FB=VikS

• 1CGS

By photos of the canon and judjung by its auto-loader construction - it only can carry AP shots - as HE shell are longer than AP and wont fit into loader

12769791_original.thumb.jpg.b398ca129bf4ae825c71a3d8e228824e.jpg

but some  sources states that it had HE shell? Is that a mistake or smh?

Anyone?

ZachariasX

If I read this:

6pdruk2.jpg

BRITISH 6 pdr AMMUNITION

From left to right: the 6 pdr 8 cwt (57 x 307R - naval plus WW1 tanks); 6 pdr 10 cwt (57 x 464R - coast defence "Twin Six" plus some ships); four 6 pdr 7 cwt (57 x 441R) loadings - AP shot, APCBC shot, APDS (repP), HE (postwar - WW2 HE shells were similar to those shown with the 6 pdr 10 cwt, in two different lengths); 6 pdr 6 cwt (57 x 515R - experimental AA gun cancelled in 1946).

(From here: https://www.quarryhs.co.uk/Molins.htm)

correctly, then the actual HE shell is actually shorter as that bullet would be on the same shell casing as the AP (57x441R) and not on the slim one (57x464R). You can see that on the postwar HE round. If they ever were to use HE experimantally, then it had to be a shell in the "post war" layout. But as the naming suggests, had that been common practise, then the suitable HE shell would not be referenced as "post war".

Also, in this reference, for the Tsetse gun they say:

[...] The gun normally used the plain AP shot [...]

that both sais that in principle it could be loaded with other types of ammo, but operationally this was hardly done. Which makes sense.

I think it would be a very silly idea to use HE ammo against naval targets, especially U-Boats. Any bullet that was to strike something below (where you should aim for) the water line, it would be set off the fuze once it hits the surface. If I had only a couple of shots that I could take I'd certainly reffrain from taking HE. But mechanically, I'd see no reason why a HE on the suitable shell casing wouldn't work.

Time stamped with a pilot of 248 Special Detachment, his recollection is that they only shot APT.  

• Thanks 1

Nothing in the Operations Record Books for 248 and 254 Squadrons points to what sort of ammo was used, but if they only used AP RP-3 rockets on Coastal Command Mosquitos, then they probably also only used AP shells with the 57 mm cannon.

10 hours ago, ZachariasX said:

That link also says: "The gun normally used the plain AP shot (that is the only one shown in photographs), so had a high muzzle velocity of 890 m/sec (2,920 fps)."

So, it sounds like AP-only to me.

1 hour ago, LukeFF said:

So, it sounds like AP-only to me.

I'm curious if we will be able to use it like they did during shipping strikes.

They shot at the water slightly before the target and used the water to help deflect it into the side of the ships below the waterline. 

Part of me says it needs HE as you can't destroy some of the static tanks using AP. 

From a gameplay perspective HE would be nice. But I suspect there will be plenty of fun targets in the channel for it.

10 minutes ago, Denum said:

Part of me says it needs HE as you can't destroy some of the static tanks using AP. 

These planes were never used for antitank missions. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, LukeFF said:

These planes were never used for antitank missions. 

8 hours ago, Denum said:

From a gameplay perspective HE would be nice. But I suspect there will be plenty of fun targets in the channel for it.

Yes I'm aware. Her deployment scope was extremely narrow and didn't last to terribly long either.