How to avoid spin in Spitfire landing

lwalter

Whether I use the Spitfire Mk V or Mk IX (and even in other simulators like IL2 CoD or DCS), I'm fine landing the plane and getting it almost to a stop, staying well on the runway, but

.... as soon as it's almost stopped, it does a 360° turn before completely stopping. I can put as much rudder as I want, but it doesn't help.

At some point, I was wondering if the differential braking could explain this problem, as I may be applying brakes (100% since I don't have analog brakes) and rudder at the same time, but I'm not sure yet.

Any other explanation?

Dragon1-1

Don't cut throttle to zero to let the prop give you some rudder authority the and pull back on the stick to plant the tailwheel firmly on the ground. As for the braking technique, you don't need analog brakes in the Spit. In fact, the real one doesn't have toe brakes at all, but rather a single, shared lever. The moment you see it start turning, give full opposite rudder and max brake, until it's back on the centerline. In DCS you have to be careful with that to avoid a nose-over, in Il-2 not so much. 

The Spit is well known IRL for being hard to taxi, especially on tarmac (it's a little better on a dirt field). "A lady in the air, but a bitch on the ground" has been said of it, and it's true both here and in DCS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
Andbar184

Did you find the solution to the problem but🤔 i have is the same.

• 1 month later...
Dragon1-1

Refer to my post above, and practice on dirt (Kuban map is good for that). :) Spit isn't the easiest thing to handle on the ground.

69th_Mobile_BBQ

About 12-15%% throttle is where you can still use the rudder to steer and the brakes to slow down without the thrust speeding you back up.  Keep the stick full back so the prop wash 'presses' the tail down as well.  Even though it's a not-lockable caster tailwheel, having as much down force on it as possible is much better than risking it coming 1mm off the ground and becoming totally useless.  

Don't cut throttle to 0% until you are fully, 100% stopped via the brakes.

Knarley-Bob

The Spit does not have 'toe' brakes. ( I call them toe brakes because in a real plane, one uses their toes to operate them since they are connected to the rudder pedals.) The brake must be applied, AND the rudder used at the same time. With the brake on, turn the rudder to the right to go right, and the opposite for the left. I have set a set up that 1 (one) key is for the brakes on planes that are this way, and to keys side by side for the right and left 'toe'  brake keys. After a few spins, you'll get the hang of it.😉

Edited by Knarley-Bob