Sopwith Triplane Crash 29th June 2014

WINGS

javelina

oh man, too bad.  Hope the pilot was ok. Just clipped that fence post, otherwise, would've made it in ok.

Charlo-VR

I was thinking the pilot was likely the man in the green jumpsuit apparently leading the lifting of the plane after the accident, standing by the engine. I hope so, anyway.

Charlo

Cybermat47

I just find it weird how light the plane looked, even when it was crashing...

HeavyCavalrySgt

What happened here?  Was it a visibility issue?  Not being able to see the landing area from the cockpit?  It looks gusty, was that fence marking the edge of the runway and the plane got blown over to one side or the other?

MiloMorai

What happened here?  Was it a visibility issue?  Not being able to see the landing area from the cockpit?  It looks gusty, was that fence marking the edge of the runway and the plane got blown over to one side or the other?

The Shuttleworths Collections Sopwith Triplane replica had an unfortunate accident while landing at Old Warden Aerodrome during 2014's Military Pageant Air Show. The pilot Dodge Bailey was unhurt in the incident. After a complete assessment of the damage the aircraft will be repaired and back in the air as soon as possible.

What a shame. He was slipping it crossways on 03 rather than the usual runway approach due to some crosswinds. Contrary to the report above it looks like a new cowl, Engine Rebuild, landing gear, and most of the top wing ( appears all the ribs and the false ribs between are crushed)

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/aircraft/61887-sopwith-triplane-crash-29th-june-2014-a.html

sallee

That's terrible. Poor pilot and poor old Dixie. I remember TOM Sopwith said it wasn't a replica but a "late production model".

You can see him pouring on the coals before the impact. He could see it coming.

Edited by sallee
TX-EcoDragon

"Oh dear.." is right 

He got a bit low on the approach and clipped the fence post. Slipping gets you improved visibility, but it also increases your descent rate/angle...he held the slip just a little too long. 

• 2 weeks later...
-TBC-AeroAce

I think the pilot would be ok it seemed like a tame crash. Just an Idea but I recon he could have crashed because the engine spluttered causeing him to come down a bit early (look at the smoke just before he hit the fence)

• 2 months later...