Spotting

453=Kinninmont

453=Kinninmont

This is the year 2021 and I can't believe after being out so long, this game still can't figure out a way for us to spot contacts esp. against the ground. It's just not realistic. I play on Finnish a lot and I prefer energy fighting but I can't do it in the realistic servers. Today for example, I had the advantage over a Yak, I was above him, kept my eye on him (again you have to do this, you can't quickly check your 6 because contacts disappear) and then the contact or plane just disappeared. As usual when this happens, I fly checking my six and climbing in a circle and sure enough, he was on my 6 and he got hits on me and I had to bail out. Now, all you experts out there you realize that in a real life situation, my eyes have far better resolution that any 4k/8k monitor has right? I don't care if its 4k or 8k, my eyes would be able to see it. 

However, it is just so frustrating because no matter what graphics settings I use, this happens time and time again. I can't have a proper fight in the realistic servers. I have to turn fight in planes not designed to turn fight. I can't boom and zoom. I bought a 1000 dollar monitor and it still hasn't improved my visibility for planes that fly underneath me especially against a forest background. 

Why can't you developers just fix this problem. It's not realistic. I lose fights because I can't see contacts. I lose because I'm effectively blind. My pilot skill  goes out the window. The most frustrating thing is you developers keep bringing out new content for this game and yet can't address glaring issues like this. I would play something else but this is the best WW2 simulation we got in the world.

I should be grateful. I'm not though. I'm just pissed off coz I keep trying to tweak my settings to improve things but incidents as I described just happens every fucking day and I just rage quit and I have to resort to playing the normal servers where they have icons coz then at least I can see them!!

But those servers are so arcadey, it ruins the immersion. Does anyone else have this problem? This is a major complaint. A major issue. It needs to be fixed as a priority.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Upvote 4

1PL-Husar-1Esk

I do not have this problem. Sorry for me spotting contacts was always easy task.  Occasionally I can lost target which blends with background but I think it's realistic - good camouflage. What I do not like is sky dome do to it postarization  sometimes planes just blend in unrealistically. One forum member which looks like he know what he saying and doing said that "The games biggest graphical issue is being gamma incorrect, ie its feeding a linear gamma image directly to the display" this can be factor for how background is affecting spotting planes against it.

Just speculation in regards spotting,  nobody tested it but he showed corrected static images without planes but the image difference was visible and looked better IMO. 

Edited by 1PL-Husar-1Esk

453=Kinninmont
3 hours ago, 1PL-Husar-1Esk said:

I do not have this problem. Sorry for me spotting contacts was always easy task.  Occasionally I can lost target which blends with background but I think it's realistic - good camouflage. What I do not like is sky dome do to it postarization  sometimes planes just blend in unrealistically. One forum member which looks like he know what he saying and doing said that "The games biggest graphical issue is being gamma incorrect, ie its feeding a linear gamma image directly to the display" this can be factor for how background is affecting spotting planes against it.

Just speculation in regards spotting,  nobody tested it but he showed corrected static images without planes but the image difference was visible and looked better IMO. 

Dude in real life I would never lose a target like I do in the game. To say you don't have this problem oogles my brain. Please share your settings. The fact you don't think this is a problem is just beyond me. Of course there should be some camo but in this game, the plane literally predator cloaks when you are watching it closely! It disappears. If you look at these forums, there has been a lot of threads discussing this very topic. Please, my lord, what graphics card do you have, what monitor, what gamma what graphics settings. Please share. The fact you have no problem and I do is the problem. It means, I am effectively blind and I can't fight. Sure sometimes, if I take my eyes off, it should be hard to re-spot the plane but NOT when you are tracking it with a zoomed view. The contact literally 'cloaks' and disappears. That isn't a fair contest. In a fight against you, you have the advantage coz I can't see you but you can see me. That is a game issue mate. I don't want to spend $10000 to see a fucking plane.

• Upvote 2

LR.TheRedPanda

Use the non zoom view for tracking. Zooming in all the way is unrealistic and the fact it's made harder to see the contact is I think a pretty good balance of the spotting experience. After all who is doing this in real life...

periscope-jack-sparrow.gif

• Haha 1

AEthelraedUnraed
3 hours ago, 453=Kinninmont said:

[...] hasn't improved my visibility for planes that fly underneath me especially against a forest background. 

[...] I lose fights because I can't see contacts.

Please explain to me how this isn't realistic.

12 minutes ago, 453=Kinninmont said:

Dude in real life I would never lose a target like I do in the game.

So, when was the latest time you spotted a camouflaged combat aircraft against a forest background in real life?

6 minutes ago, 453=Kinninmont said:

If you look at these forums, there has been a lot of threads discussing this very topic.

Yep, like a year or so ago. Then the Devs released an update, and everybody's been happy since. I've barely seen any complaints about aircraft visibility after said update, and certainly not more than what you can expect about any random topic. Still so sure this is a game issue? It sure as hell sounds like an issue on your side to me. As for how to fix this - there's a couple of threads giving graphics settings for optimal spotting depending on your hardware setup: https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Ail2sturmovik.com+spotting+settings

4 hours ago, 453=Kinninmont said:

I have to resort to playing the normal servers where they have icons coz then at least I can see them!!

But those servers are so arcadey, it ruins the immersion.

Well, there's nothing stopping you from hosting your own server with exactly the difficulty settings you want.

4 hours ago, 453=Kinninmont said:

This is a major complaint. A major issue. It needs to be fixed as a priority.

I'm not aware of the 1C policy regarding complaints, but a single user reporting a problem would usually not be classified as a "major complaint" and "major issue", and having an attitude also generally not helps with getting things "fixed" as a priority.

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 2

JG300_Winterz

Spotting is fine as it is to be honest, it used to be worst.

And it's way easier ingame than in real life for me aswell.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 4

453=Kinninmont

Way easier in game? Than in real life? Maybe I am an idiot then but when I keep my eyes on the plane in various zooms it just disappears when I'm tracking it. I don't understand how you guys do it. My eyes are spectacular. I can see things really good in real life. So I am perplexed how a contact just disappears. I have tinkered with my gamma, I have bought a new monitor that cost a 1000 bucks and I still have this issue. I can't believe you guys think this is good. IL2 1946 was pretty good. DCS is good. This isn't. Asking me to host my own server doesn't solve the problem. Anyway, I'll try to follow those links but this is a major disadvantage I have in fights. I lose because the other guy can see me and I can't see him. It ruins a fight for me. I don't have a problem with a plane diving into clouds and then using the ground for camouflage. That is a viable tactic. However, to lose a contact you are tracking is just BS! Anyway, there's no point complaining. You guys are happy with this bs and with comments like 'I see better in game than in real life' what is the point? So you must be blind as a bat coz I can see a lot better coz there's a lot more pixels my eyes have than my monitor. Anyway, good day gents

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

LR.TheRedPanda

I use sharpening on my monitor and also tick the box in game. I also recommend using MSAA to the highest quality possible. This is much better for spotting than the other 2 AA settings but it comes at a performance cost. I find setting background to blur also helps differentiate the subject and the background in many cases. Increasing contrast just a bit may help more definition and adjusting gamma to a level you see fit. I also have bloom turned on in the configs file in game, it helps make planes shiny at close ranges. I am using 1080p. Try these things maybe to improve experience.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

MSAA no higher then two as it hurts long range spotting 

If you've pushed your gamma way down that hurts spotting against the ground pretty significantly also. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, LR.TheRedPanda said:

I find setting background to blur also helps differentiate the subject and the background in many cases.

This setting, with MSAA, are the two most important for spotting.

Also, in your example, it is perfectly normal that the guy below you can see you better because the sky is his background. When you are above you have the disadvantage of being more visible AND less prone to keep your visual contact. There is nothing weird in this.

And finally, keep it cool 😉  We know you're pissed off but you will have more help without this agressive stance.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

DEDMANcjp

Does anyone have an opinion on what type of monitor is best for spotting. ....  VA  ,  IPS , or  TN.

My 2k monitor is a TN and is hard to get the contrast and brightness realistic looking.

[DBS]TH0R
7 minutes ago, DEDMANcjp said:

Does anyone have an opinion on what type of monitor is best for spotting. ....  VA  ,  IPS , or  TN.

My 2k monitor is a TN and is hard to get the contrast and brightness realistic looking.

The high contrast as in better panel won't help you due to the washed out colors of the ground that make for contacts blending in. What will help is high pixel pitch (i.e. size). As in 24" 1080p beats 27" 1440p resolution.

If running 1080p I would recommend 24" screen or higher, and if going for 1440p then at minimum 32".

5 minutes ago, CountZero said:

compared how it was untill last visability fix, what we have now in game is great

True dat. But, even though it is much better than before - the game still doesn't account for monitor diagonal vs. monitor resolution. Of if it does, the effects are minimal.

I am willing to bet if they ever remove the unrealistically bright nav lights further spotting threads would start showing up.

Edited by [DBS]TH0R
  • Upvote 1

LLv34_Flanker

S! 

OP is correct with contacts simply vanishing in some situations. It is infuriating as heck. Planes flicker, even a halo can be seen around them etc. Spotting is better than it used to be, but still away from being game vs reality Balanced. Rather than chanting harder must be more realisti, more focus should be put on making it better on a screen Having it's limitations vs real life.

Also the camo is not a predator cloaking device making you invisible, it is a mere trick to break the lines of your plane, trying to make it harder to spot. But movement will reveal you, human eye spots that even against background. As an example a grey plane, like F-18, is harder to spot than a camo colored plane from distance. This from some RL experience. The camo colored sticks out darker and sooner than the light grey plane. 

How people(some) spot is to turn down graphics quality to low ie. make the game look like crap and play on 1080p even on a big screen. Planes and vehicles appear as bigger black dots or blobs compared to if you flew at 1440 or better with all the bells and whistles on.

Is this really the idea of the game, to prevail and be less frustrated one must use crap settings? You gimp yourself with all the nice doodahs on. This can be seen in other games too, lower the quality and go to 1080p to see something. So not only a problem of BoX. 

TL;DR Harder is not necessarily more realistic. RL can not be imported to a screen that is far from RL in many ways..

• Upvote 8

453=Kinninmont

Alright I know all about how they 'fixed' spotting. But guess what, the disappearing still happens. Not as bad. Yes, sure. But still happens. Reshade used to make the game look better with having frames but now they put in an anti graphic thing which all the servers use!! Ok enough complaining. Lets just try to get my settings as good as possible. The problem I am having is the contacts on the ground. My spotting with my new Samsung Odyssey monitor against the air is relatively good. However the issue I have is on the ground. I used to have gamma of 0.6, 0.8 and now on 1.2.

As Flanker just said, the issue is how to stop a contact you are watching like a hawk against your better judgement, i.e. a quick check of 6 that just disappear. If they can fix this, I will learn to live with the rest of the BS.

I basically turn off all the settings, run resolution at 1920 x 1080 in a 2k monitor. I turn off landscape filter, have FXAA, 2 Anti Aliasing, HDR is on, Shadows, grass and mirrors = off, view distance at 130km and I get pretty good frames around 90-130 frames on most servers. 

My gamma is the thing I'm experimenting to minimize the disappearing. I have done the massive thread in 2020 to improve graphics but yea most of these options I've done already.

Any help would be appreciated

• Upvote 1

sturmkraehe
13 hours ago, LLv34_Flanker said:

S! 

OP is correct with contacts simply vanishing in some situations. It is infuriating as heck. Planes flicker, even a halo can be seen around them etc. Spotting is better than it used to be, but still away from being game vs reality Balanced. Rather than chanting harder must be more realisti, more focus should be put on making it better on a screen Having it's limitations vs real life.

Also the camo is not a predator cloaking device making you invisible, it is a mere trick to break the lines of your plane, trying to make it harder to spot. But movement will reveal you, human eye spots that even against background. As an example a grey plane, like F-18, is harder to spot than a camo colored plane from distance. This from some RL experience. The camo colored sticks out darker and sooner than the light grey plane. 

How people(some) spot is to turn down graphics quality to low ie. make the game look like crap and play on 1080p even on a big screen. Planes and vehicles appear as bigger black dots or blobs compared to if you flew at 1440 or better with all the bells and whistles on.

Is this really the idea of the game, to prevail and be less frustrated one must use crap settings? You gimp yourself with all the nice doodahs on. This can be seen in other games too, lower the quality and go to 1080p to see something. So not only a problem of BoX. 

TL;DR Harder is not necessarily more realistic. RL can not be imported to a screen that is far from RL in many ways..

I also think that how this works still needs improvements.

The thing is that it is impossible to just transfer RL colours to the screen and then if a plane vanished when seen from above to claim this is camo effect falls too short of realism. In RL you have much better in depth perception and also light effects are much more complex in RL than what can be done on screen with air moisture having a non negligibe impact.

And I am not yet talking about colours. Apart from the pretty washed out colour scheme it does not account for the fact that colours change depending in light situation and that differently for each object. A camo that is best working at noon may not work as well in the morning. Another question would be: was the cammo optimized for protection in flight for which altitude seen from which distance? Or maybe just on ground against air raids?

The only real improvement that can be made to help the situation of spotting green aircraft against green backgrounds is to expand the range of colors. HDR would do that. Currently the only games I own which don’t have HDR are this game and DCS. They’re behind the times in this regard. Adopting this would be a huge improvement in spotting against the terrain. But no matter, it’s still realistic to lose sight of another aircraft due to camouflage. This game still features pretty good rendering when you figure a lot of the action is white painted aircraft and vehicle against snow and it’s still quite possible to discern and ID targets even in that environment. 

Edited by SharpeXB

1PL-Husar-1Esk
5 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

The only real improvement that can be made to help the situation of spotting green aircraft against green backgrounds is to expand the range of colors. HDR would do that. Currently the only games I own which don’t have HDR are this game and DCS. They’re behind the times in this regard. Adopting this would be a huge improvement in spotting against the terrain. But no matter, it’s still realistic to lose sight of another aircraft due to camouflage. This game still features pretty good rendering when you figure a lot of the action is white painted aircraft and vehicle against snow and it’s still quite possible to discern and ID targets even in that environment. 

HDR in il2 would be good addition but we user need to buy new HDR capable monitors,  with good NIT parameters to enjoy practical benefits.  

• Upvote 1

LLv34_Flanker

S! 

Despite camo on a plane it is the movement, glint or reflection of light that makes it visible to the human eye against the background. Those colors are not a 100% match concealing everything and light tends to reflect from canopies etc.

Another thing adding to this disappearing of planes is the LOD transition on them. At certain ranges the lose their shiny surface and other details like insignias etc. Turn into a simpler model. For example bombs carried on a plane are visible at a pretty close range etc. 

Proper implementation of HDR could be one solution as Sharpe mentioned. Or devs could just bring the minimum specs of the game to 2020's instead. Serving potato machines is more of a hindrance than help. One can't expect to play a modern flight sim on a outclassed computer. Sure, the investment is not possible for all due economic reasons or whatever. 

Or should devs do tricks to the software, squeezing more out of it? Implementation of Vulkan API or similar? I am pretty darn sure that many, if not most players, would choose a game engine upgrade/optimisation/improvement cycle over new content. And even pay for it. I know I would. No new content, just focus on improvements and bug fixes. Market it right and it will spark interest and new customers. X-plane got a performance boost with Vulkan, DCS is close to finish it's implementation etc. And the excitement over it is quite big. 

TL;DR Tested MSAA 2X. Helped a little. 

• Upvote 5

[N.O.G.F]Leon_Portier

On normal screens I noticed, it makes a difference whats behind the screen. I've had a north side window behind me and there was almost always glare on the screen. Now I did a 180 facing north and the glare is gone plus spotting improved!

sturmkraehe
2 hours ago, LLv34_Flanker said:

S! 

Despite camo on a plane it is the movement, glint or reflection of light that makes it visible to the human eye against the background. Those colors are not a 100% match concealing everything and light tends to reflect from canopies etc.

Another thing adding to this disappearing of planes is the LOD transition on them. At certain ranges the lose their shiny surface and other details like insignias etc. Turn into a simpler model. For example bombs carried on a plane are visible at a pretty close range etc. 

Proper implementation of HDR could be one solution as Sharpe mentioned. Or devs could just bring the minimum specs of the game to 2020's instead. Serving potato machines is more of a hindrance than help. One can't expect to play a modern flight sim on a outclassed computer. Sure, the investment is not possible for all due economic reasons or whatever. 

Or should devs do tricks to the software, squeezing more out of it? Implementation of Vulkan API or similar? I am pretty darn sure that many, if not most players, would choose a game engine upgrade/optimisation/improvement cycle over new content. And even pay for it. I know I would. No new content, just focus on improvements and bug fixes. Market it right and it will spark interest and new customers. X-plane got a performance boost with Vulkan, DCS is close to finish it's implementation etc. And the excitement over it is quite big. 

TL;DR Tested MSAA 2X. Helped a little. 

I also think that camo is more to ASSIST avoiding of first time spotting rather than help getting lost when already spotted in RL. 

I read quite a few pilot accounts (autobiographies etc) and I cannot remember one mentioning that he lost sight of an enemy while tracking. Only if for some reason he had to turn his eyes away. Of course this is no proof that this effect did not exist and was simply not reported. But on the other hand there is no proof that it did exist either and I think it is pretty improbable that camo would act like an elve cloak. There is a reason why camouflaged snipers crouch to the ground and barely move... even with modern sophisticated camouflage patterns.

• Upvote 1

Noisemaker
45 minutes ago, sturmkraehe said:

There is a reason why camouflaged snipers crouch to the ground and barely move... even with modern sophisticated camouflage patterns

Well if that worked, no one should see me in my Po-2.  Close to the ground and barely moving.  ;)

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, 1PL-Husar-1Esk said:

HDR in il2 would be good addition but we user need to buy new HDR capable monitors,  with good NIT parameters to enjoy practical benefits.  

That’s true of course but every newer game today has HDR, the need for a compatible monitor hasn’t prevented the feature from being included.

GOA_Karaya_CRI*VR*

Hi, i have several years playing on VR, and before the shadering change and the 3dMigoto Ban and i can tell you, after the update was far more worst the detection of the contacts than today.

I fly always on energy planes and intended to make boom and zoom ( on Bf 109/ P51 ) and i'm pretty sure that many inconvenients are provided by internet connection ( the sudden disapering of the contacts ), i dont have that problem at this moment.

My best settings on this moment are:

MSAA on 

Shadows : Normal

Anisotrofic Filter : 0

Canopy Reflection: Normal

HDR: On 

SAAO: On 

Sharpen :On

BLOOM: On

By the way, if somebody want to check, i'm able to see the horizon and the objects far better with canopy reflection On than Off ( maybe it's a placebo but i make several test and i see with better contrast the outside of the plane).

Please somebody make that test if you can.

S.

Edited by GOA_Firebird_VR

[DBS]TH0R

While proper HDR implementation would definitely be nice to have. I will say that having more contrast on some of the maps would go a long way in helping with spotting. Some maps just look washed out and bland. No contrast meaning hard to spot targets vs. the background.

Just like some map mods have done.

PatrickAWlson

I will say that recent changes have made spotting much better.  A lot of that has to do with more pronounced exhaust and condensation trails.  Other than that it is hard for me to say.  They did not let men my age anywhere near these planes for a reason.  I am an unabashed user of icons (I use the mod to make it only a single dot ... but damn I need that dot).

=VARP=Ribbon

@LLv34_Flanker pretty much nailed it!

Spotting got better in term aircraft vs skybox background but big spotting problem remains when it comes to camo plane vs. the terrain background, flickering and dissapearing aircrafts.

From personal experience i can tell you spotting and tracking moving camo aircrafts against ground/terrain IRL is way easier than in il2GB, even the smaller and slower helicopters like Kiowas vs the forrest background while approaching above them and in faster speed is way easier to spot and track than any plane in il2GB.

Camo IRL is used to initialy spot harder but once you know it's position and movement direction it's mostly done deal and easy to track.

Devs should take into account hardware limitation and adjust colour palette between aircrafts and terrain.

In il2 following plane in a (shallow) dive being quite close on his 6 and in many situations it just blends with terrain making it literally invisible due to same colour palette aircraft vs. terrain, hardware limitation and simplified and repeating ground texture (not enough/at all colour variety on ground texture vs the real life).

Right now it's far from realistic and remains a big flaw in this game.

I remeber devs justifying it with camo figher jet pics in here, pics are one thing and RL (movement vs  texture variety of ground) is another.

TLDR; while plane vs the skybox spotting/tracking/visibility got improved a lot there is still huge problem when it comes to plane vs terrain background spptting/tracking/visibility!

• Upvote 3

Just to chime in: me and my group of non-forum-dwelling IL2 friends, we all still have trouble with spotting as well. Much better but still too hard for our tastes. And I do quite a bit of glider flying IRL where you have to be on the constant lookout for other gliders. These are white of course, but nevertheless I feel that IRL spotting is also a bit easier than in the game. Although I should also say that IRL spotting is not as easy as some people seem to think haha

• Upvote 1

453=Kinninmont
8 hours ago, blue_max said:

Just to chime in: me and my group of non-forum-dwelling IL2 friends, we all still have trouble with spotting as well. Much better but still too hard for our tastes. And I do quite a bit of glider flying IRL where you have to be on the constant lookout for other gliders. These are white of course, but nevertheless I feel that IRL spotting is also a bit easier than in the game. Although I should also say that IRL spotting is not as easy as some people seem to think haha

Thank you sir. I swear some ppl must have glasess irl. My vision is so good  in real life it really pisses me off in this game. However, I am getting better. I've put Gamma to 0.9. Hopefully things improve in the future. Atm, it's just not that great. With Reshade and the better contact visibility it was better but then they purposely made it bad again haha by having an option to switch it off. I mean even with Reshade, it was sorta hard to spot contacts against the ground but it was much easier to maintain contact. 

There is no use whinging. It seems this issue like others are not a priority compared to just getting more content out. Oh well. My main trick is to keep my head completely still and to spot movement however due to the plane disappearing, It can sometimes take a long time before I require target. I keep checking my 6  and look in the general direction. But it is so frustrating. I'm improving but I wish it was better :(

Edited by 453=Kinninmont

453=Kinninmont
9 minutes ago, ITAF_Airone1989 said:

@453=Kinninmontdo you usually fly alone or with some buddy? Cause when I have ar least a wingman spotting is a lot easier

Im the CO of 453. Generally I fly with the squad but sometimes just to improve my SA, I will fly high and alone. Of course spotting is way easier when you have multiple pairs of eyes but we all have the disappearing issue regardless of our settings/hardware etc.

LLv34_Flanker

S! 

To add to this spotting. I could see a normal car moving down the road from 3km+ altitude from a plane. Haulers and trucks were even easier. In game I am lucky to see a plane that is bigger than a car from less range. 

Also what bothers is that you can see a hangar from quite a distance but not planes next to it. They are either not drawn or are such low LOD model without any lighting/shadows that they would become invisible. 

As I stated earlier I bet many people would like to see something done to get most out of the game engine and improving the experience further instead of getting new content. And even pay for it.

In my opinion the more content is being made the harder it will be to fix anything else but content related issues. The other issues or any improvements will get buried under the mountain of content over time. And for a small team it can prove to be a daunting task to solve. 

TL;DR It is good there are other options too if this game starts to get under your skin too much. 

Edited by LLv34_Flanker
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

+1 to what @LLv34_Flanker said.

IMHO these should the be next steps in further improvements:

• better ground textures for higher contrast and easier tracking against the ground
  • taking into account monitor size, not just the resolution as in to stop "pixel hunting" (further adjustments to scaling)
  • Upvote 1

1PL-Husar-1Esk
6 minutes ago, [DBS]TH0R said:

taking into account monitor size, not just the resolution as in to stop "pixel hunting" (further adjustments to scaling)

Could you elaborate this, I don't understand ?

34 minutes ago, 1PL-Husar-1Esk said:

Could you elaborate this, I don't understand ?

I'll try to simplify things... lets say that on a 27" monitor with 1080p resolution a contact is rendered as a single dot. On the same 27" diagonal size but with 1440p or higher, (lets say 4K resolution) the single dot i.e. pixel is hardly visible, especially when looking around. It should be rendered as more than one dot/pixel. I am guessing that the game does take big resolution difference such as going from 1080p to 4K, but from my experience by switching to 27" 1440p from previously using 24" 1080p I found it much harder to spot contacts. Even after the last spotting improvements.

EDIT: To further simplify things, for the same diagonal size a contact rendering should be:

• 1080p 1 dot
  • 1440p 2 dots
  • 2160p 3 dots

Similar to Windows 10 scaling for the example.

I hope this makes sense. :)

Edited by [DBS]TH0R

1PL-Husar-1Esk
42 minutes ago, [DBS]TH0R said:

I'll try to simplify things... lets say that on a 27" monitor with 1080p resolution a contact is rendered as a single dot. On the same 27" diagonal size but with 1440p or higher, (lets say 4K resolution) the single dot i.e. pixel is hardly visible, especially when looking around. It should be rendered as more than one dot/pixel. I am guessing that the game does take big resolution difference such as going from 1080p to 4K, but from my experience by switching to 27" 1440p from previously using 24" 1080p I found it much harder to spot contacts. Even after the last spotting improvements.

EDIT: To further simplify things, for the same diagonal size a contact rendering should be:

• 1080p 1 dot
  • 1440p 2 dots
  • 2160p 3 dots

Similar to Windows 10 scaling for the example.

I hope this makes sense. :)

Thanks , now I know what you ment. 

btw I  use 3440x1440 34" and do not have issues with spotting small contacts at 10km, and beyond 10k is where "smart" scaling kick in. I wonder how much easier it would be   if I would switch to 1080p on my monitor as you are saying...

Edited by 1PL-Husar-1Esk