Armored windscreen

LuseKofte

LuseKofte

IWM caption: “Original wartime caption: Beaufighter windshield saves pilot's life. The windscreen of a [Bristol] Beaufighter piloted by Flying Officer J.F. Green after it has received a direct hit from a 13mm explosive cannon shell from a Fw 200. Although the shell made a hole approximately one inch in diameter, it failed to penetrate the safety glass; the pilot was temporarily blinded by the fine glass particles and dust, but he suffered no other injury, and after a few moments his vision returned. Picture issued 1943.” Source: IWM (CH 11815)

FB_IMG_1630622870909.jpg

• Like 4

357th_Dog

How is this possible when a 13mm HE round produces a 300mm wide hole with massive shrapnel damage? 

• Upvote 2

357th_Dog
2 minutes ago, VA_chikinpickle said:

I thought 13mms were supposed to make basketball sized holes in there?

For sure, the entire canopy should have been nuked by that impact

LuseKofte

I believe this . Since the source is available. What people fail to think about is not all hits have full effect. Here I served a hit with sources . And still you do not believe it.

This is not a vaccine discussion. It is a actual picture more believable than any chair force pilot here.

So I continue to believe the facts. 

• Haha 1

JG1_Vonrd

It looks like an angle hit coming from the lower right of the nose. That would account for the lesser damage than a direct penetrating shot.

I googled "IWM (CH 11815)" but it didn't lead to a source.