Clicking on group when in top-down view changes grouped items' height

335th_grFirdimigdi

335th_grFirdimigdi

I assume this is a known/old issue - but since I encountered it:

I've got a group of objects that I cannot select in the viewport without their Y position changing to that of the group when in either of the top-down map views; this doesn't occur if I select it when in 3D view mode. It seems to be specific to this group - I've got several other groups in the same mission that behave as expected; I tried searching in the forum but couldn't find anything relevant - can someone of the more experienced mission makers perhaps shed some light as to what might be causing this behavior?

EDIT

Actually it seems that if I follow the following method it replicates every time:

1. create group

2. select group in top-down view

3. set group as working

4. immediately select an icon of an object belonging to the group

If I deselect the group items (they are all selected by default after step 3) then I can select any item of the group without Y position changing for all items in the group.

Edited by 335th_GRFirdimigdi

I tried some informal tests (using your procedure above) on the Lapino map with four planes (linked entities) and other tests with four attack area commands and ran into the "Y shift" issue but I have not seen a clear pattern yet.

Observations:

• For me, the Y shift always happened with two icons only (perhaps they were the first two chosen or the only two below a certain elevation)
  • The Y shift seemed to occur right after starting the editor. Subsequent attempts did not shift the Y value. 

As I mentioned, I have not done any formal tests so the observations above may just be due to inadequate tests.

I was wondering if:

• There is something going on in some way related to the automatic set-to-ground functionality (e.g., when you place a plane and move it around, the Y value shifts, presumably, to the ground level). 
  • Does the exact way that you place items and then select them to group make a difference (e.g., place the last item, leave it selected and click and drag to select the group items versus place the last item, click away from it to deselect it and then click and drag to select the group items)?

335th_grFirdimigdi

Good questions all of them.

I seem to be able to reproduce the issue mostly via vehicles and effects (that's how I noticed it to start with - entered the mission and there was a smoke emitter 50m off the ground). Obviously it's more prominent if the group items have enough Y difference between them - in my case I had in the same group some artillery on a ridge a few km away and some machineguns and smoke in lower ground, all in all about 50m height delta.

I am not 100% certain about the "only occurs after start-up/loading", I think I was able to do it at any time of the editing process as long as I remained in the top-down view and didn't engage the 3D view (or use a pre-saved camera).

So far the way to avoid it is to always un-select the group after choosing to set it as the working group; just another quirk to keep in mind I guess but quite easy to forget it and end up with a messed up group.

• 4 weeks later...

Indeed I had this issue with two machinegun units, but otherwise I have it from time to time with effects.

Effects fire and smoke that should be on the ground mainly do get shifted by a hundred meters or more. But this is not specific to one group. They get shifted in all the mission even if they are in different groups and all by exactly the same amount. The only solution is to use the object finder. Select all the effects that should be on the ground and then click the editor icon to set the objects at ground value, then just a ctrl-s and you are done. Very quick and fast. In some of my missions I have a maybe 50 or so fire, smoke explosion ground effects that from time to time decide  to fly up in the sky. I even had some craters that where floating a meter or so above ground.

Smoke effects for chimneys that stay at various altitudes depending on the chimney have also once been moved up. But here it was only a group of chimney smoke that moved up, but not the other groups where nothing happened. And all the smokes again moved by exactly the same amount. So it was easy to correct, because the chimney smoke altitude is ground + somokestack height. So if you deduct what is the delta you can subtract it to the various chimney altitudes affected and all will be fine.

So it is difficult to understand where is exactly the problem. As no one will bother to look and fix this, we have to check correct and recheck. No other way around.

Just curious, this all appears to be experienced from within the editor.

Do the said objects appear correctly in the game? If so, what practical difference does it make? 🧐

I’ve had smoke objects appear 100m above the ground in missions.

While Icky says “very quick and fast” to fix, this would only be the case if the editor didn’t rob you if so much time in other ways. As it stands, it’s yet another time-waste factor that one needs like a hole in the head.

3 hours ago, Thad said:

Just curious, this all appears to be experienced from within the editor.

Do the said objects appear correctly in the game? If so, what practical difference does it make? 🧐

These Y jumps appear in the game if you have them in the editor and do not correct them. You fly and see fire and smoke about 200 mt above sea level.

Very annoying in fact.