Focke-Wulf 189

cardboard_killer

cardboard_killer

[80 years ago today] "• The Focke-Wulf 189 enters operational service as a tactical reconnaissance aircraft, mainly on the Russian front.

Fw-189.jpg.a729bcf4ad143fe79f33254ce7d48bc2.jpg

Fw-189 Uhu

- The aircraft (nicknamed the “Flying Eye”) will become very popular with the German Army for providing information that can be used to thwart Soviet moves. The highly maneuverable aircraft can even operate with enemy fighters present. When attacked, the Fw-189 is often able to out-turn attacking fighters by simply flying in a tight circle into which enemy fighters cannot follow. Its ruggedness is demonstrated when they routinely return to base with one tail shot or torn off.

• Like 5

I./ZG1_Dutchvdm

I want that plane so bad… Would be an awesome eastern front collector.

Grt M

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Yes, the 189 is one of my all time favorite planes,would love to see it in the game, i actually have a few original press photos of the factory while these were being built,thank you for the link on that resto, i assume this is the same plane that was found in Russia yeeears ago thats been restored for as many years? 

Absolutely agree about being a great collector plane, but if so it should be giving it the appropriate recce missions in the sim. Spotting has to be included in the sim in all levels, IMHO

I mean for instance in finding enemy hidden units, helping artillery fire, rescue missions, etc the possibilities are enormous.

This kind of aircraft is a perfect example of collector plane. The importance of the plane is not in the number of them produced. My point is that, for instance the Hurricane, which I also love too, dont take me wrong, should have been included in an expansion and not introduced as a collector plane. Do you agree?

Edited by =gRiJ=Roman-

It's a really interesting and versatile aircraft. When I looked through some original combat reports of Luftwaffe recon units a while ago, I was surprised to see how often the Fw-189 was used in the light bomber role. During recon missions usually 4x50 kg bombs were carried to attack targets of opportunity, like troop concentrations, artillery and AAA positions and some pure bomber missions were flown too. A small number of Fw-189s were later also used in night harassment attacks.

1 hour ago, =gRiJ=Roman- said:

Absolutely agree about being a great collector plane, but if so it should be giving it the appropriate recce missions in the sim. Spotting has to be included in the sim in all levels, IMHO

I mean for instance in finding enemy hidden units, helping artillery fire, rescue missions, etc the possibilities are enormous.

This kind of aircraft is a perfect example of collector plane. The importance of the plane is not in the number of them produced. My point is that, for instance the Hurricane, which I also love too, dont take me wrong, should have been included in an expansion and not introduced as a collector plane. Do you agree?

I agree in all respects.