Developer Diary 287 - Discussion

Jason_Williams

BlitzPig_EL
15 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Make mine an A-20G.

I wouldn't kick it out of bed for eating crackers.

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Avimimus said:

It appears they are using them for at least some of the airfields. There are also ordnance land survey maps for much of the south coast - although the last survey (~1937-1940) has a lot of incomplete maps due to the war. I suspect they didn't want up-to-date maps that could risk falling into German hands. The maps were then all released in their current states after the war ended. The '25 inch to a mile' maps are incredibly detailed (e.g. track plans for railways, foot paths) - it is pretty amazing to look at. There are actually also some maps in a similar level of detail (called '1:2500' in the post-ward period) made around 1950 as well - but they only cover part of the south coast: https://maps.nls.uk/os/

Of course, we shouldn't expect more detail as a result of there being more documentation - but does give a fascinating feel.

That's why I really like the French aerial photographs taken right after the end of the war - most of the wartime landmarks are all still there (to include things like abandoned tanks and other vehicles), and the photos are very high quality and free for download. We're talking resolutions in the range of 8K. 

• Thanks 3

C6_Claymore

Great !

Any plan to decline the map in differents early times ? between 1940 and 1944 i mean

Hamaha15
16 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

That's why I really like the French aerial photographs taken right after the end of the war - most of the wartime landmarks are all still there (to include things like abandoned tanks and other vehicles), and the photos are very high quality and free for download. We're talking resolutions in the range of 8K. 

Hi Luke,

would you mind sharing the link to the French post war aerial photographs? I love aerial reconnaissance.

Cheers

Hamaha15

Thanx a lot for the clarification. In fact that's the one I have used previously to detail the CloD map. And the French General Staff map provided by the same site to add detail to the Arras map.

Cheers

Edited by Hamaha15

Avimimus
59 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

31 minutes ago, 5aBrigada said:

Thanks! I didn't know about this!

Excuse me if it’s been asked before but will there be hedgerows for the tanks to play hide and seek in ? 

• Upvote 1

Mtnbiker1998

A super iconic, Classic P-51B as flown by famous triple ace Bud Anderson should absolutely be one of the available default skins, the 357th colors are a classic Mustang look and Anderson being famous for being "Yeager's wingman" (read the book if you want the full story on that) would go perfect alongside the Glennis default skin for the D model we have.

Its gotta have the white walled tires though!! 

Those who haven't read his book should certainly give it a look! Its an excellent account of WW2 air combat and the later jet years

unnamed.jpg

• Like 1

Gambit21
1 hour ago, Mtnbiker1998 said:

A super iconic, Classic P-51B as flown by famous triple ace Bud Anderson should absolutely be one of the available default skins, the 357th colors are a classic Mustang look and Anderson being famous for being "Yeager's wingman" (read the book if you want the full story on that) would go perfect alongside the Glennis default skin for the D model we have.

Those who haven't read his book should certainly give it a look! Its an excellent account of WW2 air combat and the later jet years

unnamed.jpg

I've had some communication with Anderson...great guy - class act.

As always an impressive display of attention to detail. Looking forward to the map, looking forward to the Mustang... and as usual i have to ask... is my Me 410 ready yet? 😄

• Haha 1

kissTheSky
18 hours ago, LukeFF said:

Yes, to help give context to today's screenshots, these are some of the airfields that correspond to this screenshot's location - you really had to know where you were at!

Normandy_Airfields_05.jpg

1332043780_Brenzett_Newchurch_NewRomneyLocations.JPG.5009b49ae014908a45d907a90fc13a84.JPG

No wonder the British repurposed most of them to race tracks after the war…

If we can follow their example, it would be the perfect progression for me, fly in my warbird, land, if not killed, hop into my early 60ies open wheeler and turn a few laps, all without leaving the sim. 🤣

BlitzPig_EL

spacer.png

RAF Westhampnett, now known as the Goodwood Circuit.

• Like 1

sevenless
20 hours ago, Hamaha15 said:

Hi Luke,

would you mind sharing the link to the French post war aerial photographs? I love aerial reconnaissance.

Cheers

Try this site:

Remonter le temps (ign.fr)

• Like 1

fergal69
13 hours ago, Mtnbiker1998 said:

unnamed.jpg

Plus he flew with drop tanks 😀

sevenless
14 hours ago, Mtnbiker1998 said:

A super iconic, Classic P-51B as flown by famous triple ace Bud Anderson should absolutely be one of the available default skins,

Yep and these three are IMHO must haves (Don Gentile, Duane Beeson and John Godfrey):

image.thumb.png.eafeaf9e4343029a60908701b777b8a9.png

image.png.b37e4a6c709ceed0b0dc8f97174c6e49.pngimage.png.feaee36a4920b210217afc6404257cdd.pngimage.png.9d2c0e192b5b5e5306cd53b8703f77a2.pngimage.png.df8bc3c6638702bb1164599745930abe.png

• Like 2

Another must:

HighFlight-DingHao7.thumb.jpg.d145d0ec50a3b913c1f72653e77a92ad.jpg

james_10.thumb.jpg.993af8982f9f63f2b4c73ca7a653ae65.jpg

Edited by LukeFF
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I./JG1_Baron

Oh God... I cant wait to P-51B... Especially to Shangri-La 😍

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

310_cibule
13 hours ago, I./JG1_Baron said:

Oh God... I cant wait to P-51B... Especially to Shangri-La 😍

But it was not flown by LW. Or do you look forward to shooting it down? ; ))

Edited by 310_cibule

I./JG1_Baron
1 hour ago, 310_cibule said:

But it was not flown by LW. Or do you look forward to shooting it down? ; ))

Dear Cibule, the machine is so beautiful that maybe I'll run to the Allies 😇 But I promise nothing😊

• Haha 1

akmotte
On 7/16/2021 at 5:47 PM, akmotte said:

Nicely done.
Did you use the data I sent to LukeFF about Triqueville JG2 airfield near Pont-Audemer ? I provided high res historical pictures of the place and the buildings.
Is this airfield on your map ?

Can someone from the team please answer this ? This is crucial for our squad to know if Triqueville airfield is in IL2 BON.

Jade_Monkey
2 hours ago, akmotte said:

Can someone from the team please answer this ? This is crucial for our squad to know if Triqueville airfield is in IL2 BON.

It's definitely within the confines of the planned map, so I'd say there is a good chance.

The final list of airfields has not been shared, so I don't think you will be able to confirm it.

• Upvote 1

• 1CGS
BlackSix
16 hours ago, akmotte said:

We don't need this airfield for our BON career (April 15 - August 22, 1944) but Triqueville is in the list of the additional airfields, which are needed to fill the map more evenly. Therefore, we can't guarantee that we will make it 100%, but at least it is on the list.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

AEthelraedUnraed

Also note that with Rheinland, lots of airfields were added at a later date. Some of which (e.g. Deelen) with the same quality and historical realism as those that were already there at release date. So if an airfield is not on the map just yet, all is not lost :)

• Upvote 1

Gambit21

What should happen is a stand-in Bodney near the northewest corner of the map.

This way there’s more continuity between Normandy and Rhineland with the 352nd present in both releases. 

7 hours ago, AEthelraedUnraed said:

Also note that with Rheinland, lots of airfields were added at a later date. Some of which (e.g. Deelen) with the same quality and historical realism as those that were already there at release date. So if an airfield is not on the map just yet, all is not lost :)

Yes, the reality is that you could probably have upwards of 150 airfields on this map, so there's plenty of room for expansion in the future should the team's time and resources allow it. There's some funky-looking ones like Saint-André-de-l'Eure:

2069877932_Saint-Andr-de-lEure.thumb.JPG.d64b801722cb177f984857d8b7bd5493.JPG

Edited by LukeFF
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

=SquadTag=Username_
On 7/17/2021 at 7:09 AM, Mtnbiker1998 said:

unnamed.jpg

There's so many good skins to make for the B/C model, the Old Crow is definitely a must, then also others from 357th group, I would love to see some metalic with blue like this, maybe one from the Tuskegee Airmen too...

IMG_20210704_184631.png

Edited by =SquadTag=Username_

Gambit21
5 hours ago, =SquadTag=Username_ said:

There's so many good skins to make for the B/C model, the Old Crow is definitely a must, then also others from 357th group, I would love to see some metalic with blue like this, maybe one from the Tuskegee Airmen too...

IMG_20210704_184631.png

That was Whisner’s bird.

The squadron CO made him change the aircraft name/art in preparation for a visit from Princess Elizabeth (to Bodney) He wasn’t happy about it.

• Upvote 1

PatrickAWlson
On 7/19/2021 at 4:06 AM, BlackSix said:

We don't need this airfield for our BON career (April 15 - August 22, 1944) but Triqueville is in the list of the additional airfields, which are needed to fill the map more evenly. Therefore, we can't guarantee that we will make it 100%, but at least it is on the list.

With the understanding that not every dirt strip can be modeled, my biggest request with regards to airfields is please try not to leave large vacant spaces.  Thanks

• Upvote 2

On 7/21/2021 at 4:54 PM, Gambit21 said:

That was Whisner’s bird.

The squadron CO made him change the aircraft name/art in preparation for a visit from Princess Elizabeth (to Bodney) He wasn’t happy about it.

I don't blame him, neither would I have been.

Any ideas what it looked like before it got a fake over for a royal visit?

Edited by Pict

jollyjack
On 7/21/2021 at 4:54 PM, Gambit21 said:

That was Whisner’s bird.

So this skin is actually a nono ... too political.

• Confused 1

Gambit21
On 7/23/2021 at 12:09 PM, Pict said:

I don't blame him, neither would I have been.

Any ideas what it looked like before it got a fake over for a royal visit?

I have no record, or to be more precise the squadron history shows no record...this might have been the first/only artwork to be painted on it.

I show "AC lost 6/6/44 Lt Butler evaded and returned to Bodney"

Pilots flew various aircraft, so Whisner was likely not saddened that Butler managed to get rid of the aircraft, and bonus that

he lived!

Edited by Gambit21
  • Thanks 1

Please ensure you include an option to select the gunsight type on the P-51B/C cockpit, in 1943 they mostly used the N-3 with the adjusting knob; the knob assembly was ofteen removed as it proved dangerous (see photos attached).
image.png

image.thumb.png.91886690131dba43c9d26ed9f9c270b5.png

By 1944 though the majority of Bs and Cs actually had been retrofitted with the British Mk.II sight, as it proved to be optically superior to the N-3. 

image.thumb.png.23135fef3d8d7f7045e5a3242be7cf85.png

Last but not least, quite a number of P-51B/C were also retrofitted with Mk.18 gyro gunsights (not to be confused with the K-14, which almost exclusively went to the P-51D). 

40599022_10155939282968031_8382597455262253056_n.jpg.60a60684d01d2fdb987d8c14636103f5.jpg

If the devs need close up photos of these gunsights, I can be of help. 

Edited by Sternjaeger

• Han unpinned this topic
2 hours ago, Sternjaeger said:

By 1944 though the majority of Bs and Cs actually had been retrofitted with the British Mk.II sight, as it proved to be optically superior to the N-3. 

Yes of course old chap...