Engine controls help, can't use radiators or mixture

ObiChanJabroni

ObiChanJabroni

Hello I got il2 on sale recently, been loving it. Moved up from having everything on auto since my virpil setup came in. I've binded everything just fine il2 saw the inputs, but when I turn manual mixture or manual water or oil radiators on my binds for them do nothing. I've tried everything. Flying the p51, bf109, and fw190

migmadmarine

In the quick mission menu, bottom right, there is a difficulty menu, open that an be sure you have the engine assists turned off. 

ObiChanJabroni

I've been playing career so far and Ive tried everything on expert realism but I'll try using custom with it turned off

10 minutes ago, migmadmarine said:

In the quick mission menu, bottom right, there is a difficulty menu, open that an be sure you have the engine assists turned off. 

I've done that and I just tried binding them to my keyboard and they also don't work on that either

migmadmarine

Should have noticed the list of aircraft you posted. Those all have automatic radiators and mixtures. Try something like the Tempest, that at least you can move the radiator manually on with out having to engage a manual control mode. 

ObiChanJabroni
45 minutes ago, migmadmarine said:

Should have noticed the list of aircraft you posted. Those all have automatic radiators and mixtures. Try something like the Tempest, that at least you can move the radiator manually on with out having to engage a manual control mode. 

I haven't done that to be fair but I've watched a couple videos on the p51 and those people control their oil manually, just dumb I can't do it, and to clarify I am turning off engine assist and turning on manual radiators before I enable manual water or oil radiators

1 hour ago, ObiChanJabroni said:

I haven't done that to be fair but I've watched a couple videos on the p51 and those people control their oil manually, just dumb I can't do it, and to clarify I am turning off engine assist and turning on manual radiators before I enable manual water or oil radiators

You don't need to worry about controlling the radiators on the P-51 - those are just backup systems that were meant to be used in case the automatic system failed.

Edited by LukeFF

ObiChanJabroni
36 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

You don't need to worry about controlling the radiators on the P-51 - those are just backup systems that were meant to be used in case the automatic system failed.

I was under the impression I could improve cooling efficiency using the manual mode, I guess I need to get used to how easy it is to overheat it

46 minutes ago, ObiChanJabroni said:

I was under the impression I could improve cooling efficiency using the manual mode, I guess I need to get used to how easy it is to overheat it

The only way you are going to overheat the P-51 is if you are flying very slowly and climbing very steeply. The radiators are fully capable of keeping the engine cooled if you keep your speed up.

pocketshaver

Somewhat kills the fighter pilot god mystique doesnt it old chap?

And in reality who   really    wants to try to fiddle with radiators while helicoptering? Just harshes the fun.

Dragon1-1

I think that manual radiators on P-51 could be fiddled with to increase speed a little, but this is marginal. Better to keep them in auto all the time.