Various camera controls - What do they do?

Remontti

Remontti

I've had this game for years but there are still some controls that seem to do nothing or I don't know what they are used for.

I'm using usually open track and sometimes mouse view for tanking. My controls are fine and everything is working great. 

Under Camera Controls there are:

Rotate camera up / down / left / right - this is for external views

Camera local rotation - this seems to be different kind of rotating for external views

Camera: Head-unlinked cockpit - What is this. What do you need this for?

FreeLook - This seems to do nothing or I don't know how to you use it. For those using mouse to fly? 

Under Pilot Head Controls there are:

Various zooms - ok, these just change your FOV, simple

Change veh zoom - What is this? Seems to do nothing in planes and tanks.

Bow and turn pilot head vertically / horizontally - This is just for looking around with mouse (default)

Turn gunner's head horizontally - What is this for? Doesn't seem to do anything.

Turret, gunsight view: view vertical / horizontal - This turns you head when you're looking down the sights of a machine gun. Seems bit clunky to use... 

Head independent view left / right / up / down - only usable in the Camera: Head-unlinked cockpit view. But why would you use this head-unlinked view anywhere?

=FEW=fernando11

Im not at my pc right now, and it would help if you posted the default key binding of each one. Like Alt+F1...

I belive Camera head unlinked cockpit (if thats the one with Alt F1 or similar) has some very specific use. When you are watching a ingame recording (track), you can use the cockpit view (F1) and the camera will turn arround just as you did when you where playing... well, if you press Alt F1, it will "unlink" the camera from the pilot head movement, so you can look arround, inside the cockpit, to see things you didnt when you where actualy playing.

Free look, (if its the F12 key) is, if you have spectator/outside view enabled, to put the camera outside of the plane, stationary, so you can look arround and move arround the camera... it might do nothing because you dont have 3dr person view enabled, or you are using F12 key for another function, like TrackIR... 

Those are the ones I remember and that I have used. 

Remontti

Hardly any of my bindings are default...

So these ones remain

Change veh zoom - Was this for AA vehicle? I don't own it so I can't test.

Turn gunner's head horizontally 

Remontti
7 hours ago, JimTM said:

This post may help you.

This thread should be pinned. A lot of info. But Change veh zoom and Turn gunners head horizontally functions are unknown in that thread too

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Remontti said:

This thread should be pinned. A lot of info. But Change veh zoom and Turn gunners head horizontally functions are unknown in that thread too

By the way, the post is listed under "Game Guides" in the IL-2 Sturmovik Resources post (which is pinned).