Gloster meteor for il2 BOBP Collector Plane

Luger1969

Gloster Meteor  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Gloster Meteor

• Gloster Meteor- Yes
    • Gloster Meteor- No

I'm all for it as importantly it Meat's the requirements for Box twice. That cannot be said about most of the aircraft used by the opposing argument about wasting developers time as most of them wouldn't have a map or campaign to fit into and yet the Meteor will have two.

It's also an interesting aircraft both from historical operational and the "what if" scenario points of view. I'm really looking forward to the V1's and the idea of armed recon in a Meteor III is equally appealing. Plus the possibility to try the "what if" Meteor & 262 met simply adds to interest and appeal more that it takes anything away.

Edited by Pict
Tweak
  • Upvote 6

• 2 weeks later...
JV69badatflyski

I voted for yes.

Not because i like the plane, on the contrary, but because it could be funny.

Like John Lennon wrote: "imagine"...
Music:
imagine a fighter with the tremendous rollrate of 30°sec
imagine a fighter where the forward view is half obstructed by the gyroscopic gunsight (when equipped) 
imagine a plane when it reach it's cruise speed, it begin to shake and snake
imagine a plane with engines going into surge at speeds above the cruise speed
imagine a plane where the engines have to be throttle back above 20K feet if you don't want a flameout
imagine a plane unable to attein the promised altitude
imagine a plane unable to attein the promised speed
imagine a plane that can only fly by sunny weather otherwise in even small turbulences by bad (bumby) weather, it starts to shake and snake 
imagine a plane where for restarting the right engine (the only one with the dynamo), you need to cut off all electrics otherwise you only have one attempt.
imagine a plane with engine dials obscured by the stick and the right arm  and not illuminated .
imagine a plane with an allowed max speed (only reachable in a dive) aqual to the cruise speed of it's "competitor" .
imagine a plane with such an effective rudder  that it's use with combat speeds induce snaking making it useless .
imagine a plane with such great ailerons that the pilot must be a heavy lifter to make them move. 
imagine a plane, a "jet fighter" with dining chair position for the pilot.
imagine a plane using a canopy that distort all objects viewed through it 
imagine a plane flying through the rain and not being able to differenciate between sky and ground through the front and side windscreens.
imagine a plane tested in it's 46 version that was considered unsuitable for operations by the highest aviation organistation in the UK.

Imagine the funny discussion we could have once she's made.
imagine the 50 pages (at least) whinning thread.
imagine the 5 or 6 (at least) thread locks by Haashashin
imagine the fun we could have with this plane (by actually not flying it)

Yes please, make the flying-turd-meteor.:good:

(All the nice caracteristics mentionned above (and more) are to be found in the RAE Evaluation, see WWIIaircraftperformance)

• Haha 4
  • Upvote 3

616Sqn_Johnny-Red
On 8/29/2021 at 10:49 PM, JV69badatflyski said:

I voted for yes.

Music:
imagine a fighter where the forward view is half obstructed by the gyroscopic gunsight (when equipped) 
imagine a plane where the engines have to be throttle back above 20K feet if you don't want a flameout
imagine a plane that can only fly by sunny weather otherwise in even small turbulences by bad (bumby) weather, it starts to shake and snake 
imagine a plane where for restarting the right engine (the only one with the dynamo), you need to cut off all electrics otherwise you only have one attempt.
imagine a plane with engine dials obscured by the stick and the right arm  and not illuminated .
imagine a plane with an allowed max speed (only reachable in a dive) aqual to the cruise speed of it's "competitor" .
imagine a plane with such an effective rudder  that it's use with combat speeds induce snaking making it useless .
imagine a plane with such great ailerons that the pilot must be a heavy lifter to make them move. 
imagine a plane flying through the rain and not being able to differenciate between sky and ground through the front and side windscreens.
imagine a plane tested in it's 46 version that was considered unsuitable for operations by the highest aviation organistation in the UK.

(All the nice caracteristics mentionned above (and more) are to be found in the RAE Evaluation, see WWIIaircraftperformance)

Thank you for your vote.

Frankly I don't care if it's a stinker (which I highly doubt it will be); no matter what I'll fly it offline, in coops, and dogfights, and I'll fly it because its beautiful.

Imagine a plane with fat centrifugal turbojets, a modern looking nose and a derpy looking tail? Hmm? WOOF!

For Me it's an aesthetic thing first and foremost.

People who voted for it haven't voted for it as some "pay-to-win" ticket, they voted for it because they find it beautiful, or interesting.

Plus there's an added bonus:

Imagine wanting to fly an operational jet that doesn't smell like a concentration camp?

• Upvote 9

On 8/29/2021 at 2:49 PM, JV69badatflyski said:

I voted for yes.

Music:

As if the Me 262 was a plane without fault. 😄 I bet I could find a list of complaints about the 262 that's at least as long as the one you posted. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 6

VO101Kurfurst
6 hours ago, LukeFF said:

I bet I could find a list of complaints about the 262 that's at least as long as the one you posted. 

Just use the search function, it will return pages of complaints along the lines "262 is OP, ban from server". 😛

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

CountZero
On 8/29/2021 at 11:49 PM, JV69badatflyski said:

I voted for yes.

Music:
imagine a fighter with the tremendous rollrate of 30°sec - dont know man lagg3 had stories about poor roll but look at it in game best rolla outthere, so no problems in this game, roll will probably be ok
imagine a fighter where the forward view is half obstructed by the gyroscopic gunsight (when equipped) who uses gyro gunsight, its flying game you have infinet atempts to learn to shoot, and its 4x20 HE ,you dont ned to aim, it just go boom in this game
imagine a plane when it reach it's cruise speed, it begin to shake and snake dont have to worry about that in this flying game
imagine a plane with engines going into surge at speeds above the cruise speed dont have to worry about that in thisflying game just loook 262
imagine a plane where the engines have to be throttle back above 20K feet if you don't want a flameout dont have to worry about that in this flying game just loook 262
imagine a plane unable to attein the promised altitude LOL any airplane made
imagine a plane unable to attein the promised speed LOL any airplane made
imagine a plane that can only fly by sunny weather otherwise in even small turbulences by bad (bumby) weather, it starts to shake and snake every map is sunny purfect time, no problemos for game
imagine a plane where for restarting the right engine (the only one with the dynamo), you need to cut off all electrics otherwise you only have one attempt.  what restarts, its game lol
imagine a plane with engine dials obscured by the stick and the right arm  and not illuminated . lol who looks at instrument panels in this game , there is tech chat baby
imagine a plane with an allowed max speed (only reachable in a dive) aqual to the cruise speed of it's "competitor" . best posible FM always for any airplane in game, no problemos
imagine a plane with such an effective rudder  that it's use with combat speeds induce snaking making it useless . its a flying game what shakes, you fly vvs airplanes, best posible fm no shakes
imagine a plane with such great ailerons that the pilot must be a heavy lifter to make them move.  itz a game, everly pilota is superman, did you here about gunners abilitys, and you worry about heavy controls lol
imagine a plane, a "jet fighter" with dining chair position for the pilot. - oh no now you got it, its a game braker!
imagine a plane using a canopy that distort all objects viewed through it  any airplane in game, and look views are ultra perfect for any of them, you ever look at ww2 pictures of vvs fighters cockpits and compared to in game
imagine a plane flying through the rain and not being able to differenciate between sky and ground through the front and side windscreens.  lol what rain
imagine a plane tested in it's 46 version that was considered unsuitable for operations by the highest aviation organistation in the UK.  e will get old ww2 wersion, so no problemoz

Imagine the funny discussion we could have once she's made. - #1 reason to have it!
imagine the 50 pages (at least) whinning thread. - axis dont whinne, they look forward to finaly be able to play like underdog, faced with equality, you ever saw what happend in last taw lol
imagine the 5 or 6 (at least) thread locks by Haashashin - he gets bored from time to time, he will atleast have something to do
imagine the fun we could have with this plane (by actually not flying it) - its RAF airplane not USAF lol

dont see any problems exept chair thing, but i can just use lazyboy and gamepad with vr and problem sloved

gib meteor plz!

Edited by CountZero
  • Haha 2

JV69badatflyski
11 hours ago, 616Sqn_Johnny-Red said:

Thank you for your vote.

Frankly I don't care if it's a stinker (which I highly doubt it will be); no matter what I'll fly it offline, in coops, and dogfights, and I'll fly it because its beautiful.

Imagine a plane with fat centrifugal turbojets, a modern looking nose and a derpy looking tail? Hmm? WOOF!

For Me it's an aesthetic thing first and foremost.

People who voted for it haven't voted for it as some "pay-to-win" ticket, they voted for it because they find it beautiful, or interesting.

Plus there's an added bonus:

Imagine wanting to fly an operational jet that doesn't smell like a concentration camp?

The beauty lies in the eye of the beholder.
Never found any appeal in the meteor. Even one of the most ugliest planes, the Skua, has some beauty in it. Even the 190 that is not a beauty queen has some traits that make it nice to look at, maybe it's his agressiveness. (personnal opinion ofc)
I Disagree with you about the "pay to win", i think most players want a killing machine, not because it's nice. They hope to have something to oppose to the 262.
IRL, meteor wasn't able to that.
Your last line is slighlty OT and is limit borderline , don't you think?

10 hours ago, LukeFF said:

As if the Me 262 was a plane without fault. 😄 I bet I could find a list of complaints about the 262 that's at least as long as the one you posted. 

Never said the 262 was faultless, far from it, but at least the RLM didn't found the 262 unsuitable for combat operations (unlike they did for the 190 in41)

1 hour ago, CountZero said:

dont see any problems exept chair thing, but i can just use lazyboy and gamepad with vr and problem sloved

gib meteor plz!

If they model it like you wrote (:biggrin:) then it's maybe time to migrate to warthunder. In this case, modeling the plane without it's major aerodynamical and mechanical faults let us depart from the "sim" caracteristics and sending the soft right into arcade mode.

4 hours ago, JV69badatflyski said:

Never said the 262 was faultless, far from it, but at least the RLM didn't found the 262 unsuitable for combat operations (unlike they did for the 190 in41)

Eh, ok. 😄 The 262 was rushed into service with a mountain of problems, because they had no other way to at least attempt to regain some shred of parity with the RAF and USAAF in terms of controlling the skies. In any other circumstance, there is no way the plane is deployed with that many problems. 

Edited by LukeFF
  • Upvote 2

616Sqn_Johnny-Red

3 hours ago, JV69badatflyski said:

Never found any appeal in the meteor. Even one of the most ugliest planes, the Skua, has some beauty in it. Even the 190 that is not a beauty queen has some traits that make it nice to look at, maybe it's his agressiveness. (personnal opinion ofc)

I would agree that the embodiment of purpose adds character to an airframe whether it be the Anton or the Beaufighter.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/02/Gloster_Meteor_III_ExCC.jpg

It's a jet ship. It should have been called the Gloster "Thunderbolt", but the name was already taken.

JV69badatflyski
2 hours ago, LukeFF said:

Eh, ok. 😄 The 262 was rushed into service with a mountain of problems, because they had no other way to at least attempt to regain some shred of parity with the RAF and USAAF in terms of controlling the skies. In any other circumstance, there is no way the plane is deployed with that many problems. 

Rushed, won't say that, the plane was in devloppement for 4 years already. The engines were a pb, and the front strut...:rolleyes:
Will try to check my books about the 262 the next days, will certainly find more issues, but from memory that's all i have.

2 hours ago, 616Sqn_Johnny-Red said:

I would agree that the embodiment of purpose adds character to an airframe whether it be the Anton or the Beaufighter.

It's a jet ship. It should have been called the Gloster "Thunderbolt", but the name was already taken.

Like i said, "...in the eye of the beholder" 
They could name it  "missingbolt", it still would be better than meteor, those tend to explode in the sky and burn before touching the ground :lol:

• Haha 1

JV69badatflyski

Even less operational than the gloster meteor.
Actually no operationnal at all, just flying prototypes as PR stunt
Maybe if Mike decide to make a 1946 volume like the old il2 :lol: ...

Trooper117
33 minutes ago, JV69badatflyski said:

Maybe if Mike decide to make a 1946 volume like the old il2

There is so much functionality missing from the old IL2 that should have been in the new reborn version, there's not a chance in hell they would go down that 'what if' road... 

• Upvote 3

CUJO_1970

Not sure why anyone votes “no” in any of these polls. You like WW2 aircraft, yes or no?

Yes there are are more important planes that need to be added.

No, we don’t want or need you to explain all that, we already know it.

• Like 1

BraveSirRobin
53 minutes ago, CUJO_1970 said:

Not sure why anyone votes “no” in any of these polls. You like WW2 aircraft, yes or no?

I'm pretty sure that no "do you want plane X?" poll has ever had a majority of "no" votes.  They are useless.

iFoxRomeo

A Meteor? Yes please!

But i have to scrach my head about some parts of the sim community...

Spoiler

A collector U-2,

u_2vs_SKEaxP1.jpg.746ff4dd02fd98675df4cdaf77cdee23.jpg

totally useless for combat, but the

Community:

80635123_sm.jpg.94726ccfb6f11280a54181c914539bec.jpg

A collector FLAK truck:

gaz_mm_72k.jpg.e2d7a345a07681d03552169b94d6597f.jpg

Community:

80635123_sm.jpg.344c7ce0fb404dac9a26c77903615449.jpg

Another FLAK truck:

sdkfz105_flak38_nN2Z8Nf.jpg.df8182678e46c71592d3698281d42828.jpg

Community:

80635123_sm.jpg.42edfcd3ab87ed019a29a79960870803.jpg

Now how about a collector Meteor I/III? First british operational jet. 4*20mm centered, turns inside a TempestV. Gives a nice looking counterpart to the 262 and eases the pain. Great for MP on servers like "Finnish..."

Gloster_Meteor_III_ExCC_sm.jpg.1246b9708b5bef79d401b055eef5f899.jpg

Also parts of the community:

1-TeYNtVLCLk7LqKpnzOziZw.jpg.4d2c091233db0c47b97ff010950b5df1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

CountZero
8 hours ago, iFoxRomeo said:

A Meteor? Yes please!

Hide contents

A collector U-2,

Community:

A collector FLAK truck:

Community:

Another FLAK truck:

Community:

Now how about a collector Meteor I/III? First british operational jet. 4*20mm centered, turns inside a TempestV. Gives a nice looking counterpart to the 262 and eases the pain. Great for MP on servers like "Finnish..."

its no suprise, its not made by germans so it dosent have mytical apeal of last dirch thing that if build erlyer or in bigger numbers would win a war for them, no mather if its just paper airplane or how bad it would be performing in real.

Also it would not be any better vs 262 then best allied props we have now, P-80 or MiG-9 are real performance that can give 262 problems, but Meteor is one that fits game, we have maps where it can be used, it was used in combat in ww2 for GA or V1 hunt, and its historicly important jet, and it looks good, i doubt we aint gona see it as collector airplane nomather what poll say.

Edited by CountZero
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, iFoxRomeo said:

A Meteor? Yes please!

Hide contents

A collector U-2,

Community:

A collector FLAK truck:

Community:

Another FLAK truck:

Community:

If it makes you feel any better... I boo'ed those two stupid trucks too 🙄  The U-2VS is cool though 😁

A Meteor would be nice, I'd probably get it once some other core game issues are finally addressed.... but there's also tons of other collector aircraft with more relevance to the war that I'd rather have first like a proper early Spit IX or an A-20G

Trooper117

What's happening here is that certain people only want to see ''yes please''... ''that would be awesome'' and if they see someone making a statement as to why the devs should concentrate on more relevant planes that played a major part in the air war they don't like it.

This is a forum where both sides to any discussion needs to be heard, not just one side.

Of course, in a perfect world we would like every type of plane that turned up to whatever map we have, but that would be impossible for the devs to accomplish with the small team available to produce them.

Who knows, one day we might see the Meteor Mk I/III...

• Upvote 1

JV69badatflyski
23 hours ago, CUJO_1970 said:

Don't be such a mood destoyer Cujo, :lol:
the missingbolt would be a nice target for our Antons, if it's behind us, start a scissors and you're on it's tail or simply roll if you want to evade, that plane wasn'table to follow whatever maneuvre a wurger could do:biggrin:

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

iFoxRomeo
On 8/31/2021 at 1:14 PM, sevenless said:

Holy Moly!

Krupnski is one of those who are out of this world... the 262 isn't even his best crate

On 8/31/2021 at 8:47 PM, MeoW.Scharfi said:

How about giving us the F/P-80? 😏

Ooch.... pffff.... now you're being childish. Next you want an Ariane 64 rocket?😆

15 hours ago, CountZero said:

Also it would not be any better vs 262 then best allied props we have now

Yes for the Mk I, but the Mk III is better than any allied prop plane vs the 262.

7 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

What's happening here is that certain people only want to see ''yes please''... ''that would be awesome'' and if they see someone making a statement as to why the devs should concentrate on more relevant planes that played a major part in the air war they don't like it.

Are you sure? Iirc noone asked the devs to halt or skip any plane in favour of the Meteor.

What are the "relevant planes that played a major part"? And who defines what is relevant?

CUJO_1970
3 hours ago, JV69badatflyski said:

Don't be such a mood destoyer Cujo, :lol:
the missingbolt would be a nice target for our Antons, if it's behind us, start a scissors and you're on it's tail or simply roll if you want to evade, that plane wasn'table to follow whatever maneuvre a wurger could do:biggrin:

Honestly it would be cool to have a jet to fly against, history be damned 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
VO101Kurfurst
On 8/31/2021 at 8:47 PM, MeoW.Scharfi said:

How about giving us the F/P-80? 😏

Lockheed F-80 Shooting Star | Fighter jets, Fighter aircraft, Lockheed

First step on the slippery slope to ‘46 lalala land so no.

The Meteor at least has a semi-decent excuse for being somewhere there on the map, doing something, so it coulda, woulda.

YP-80 has none of it.

• Upvote 5

Bremspropeller
On 8/31/2021 at 1:21 PM, JV69badatflyski said:

Mostly because uncle Addi wanted a Blitzbomber, like yesterday.

The 262 in online gaming is doing exactly wht the real plane would have done with a relative parity of numbers and without constant trashing of airfields and supplies by bombers and fighters/ fighter-bombers. People should not expect historical outcomes, when playing gamey set-ups.

ALL jets were deathtraps well into the 1950s. Even a lovely bird like the Sabre.

But then again, so were the props back in the day. Being a pilot was a good way of not making retirement in those times.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/15/2021 at 10:15 PM, VO101Kurfurst said:

First step on the slippery slope to ‘46 lalala land so no.

The Meteor at least has a semi-decent excuse for being somewhere there on the map, doing something, so it coulda, woulda.

YP-80 has none of it.

2177c362061eb740.png

• Haha 9