Pringliano

Is IL2 cheat-free?...

Before IL2 I had used DCS World, and very long ago, the first version of IL2 and Janes's ww2 fighters, as well as CFS2.

All of these sims sooner or later became useless for me in terms of MP experience as soon as I found cheats could be used.

I didn't read, or sense anything about cheats being possible in the present - Alpha - version of IL2 BoS, which is great, and I am about to start using Rise of Flight after an initial month trying to learn about it's great ww1 aircraft, and guessing it is also cheat-free, but I might be wrong ( ? ) - hope not ....

Nothing is ever completely cheat-free, but when it comes to flight sims, my experience is, that it's 99% accusations of cheating being flung around by frustrated players and 1% actual cheating.

I have never ever cheated in any MP game ever, because I can hardly think of anything more pathetic, and I even don't usually use available exploits (I didn't fly the Yak flaps down, when that was posible)

Still I have been accused of being a lousy cheater more times than I can count, especially in RoF, where I was (surprisingly enough) a fairly good shot.

• Upvote 7

I flew RoF online for more than three years and never witnessed anything that would make me believe that cheats would be possible in that flightsim.

Most of the time, video showing cheat in a flight sim is just made up video to make you download a trojan... Don't believe youtube videos of cheating with links in the description!

Well we (Syndicate) have actively hosted missions for RoF over 4 years and we have never seen/had proof of cheats in all that time. Quite a track record.

Except FB_Viks of course. We suspect he has a special dev setting on his account!  :biggrin:

• Upvote 3

I think a better question would be:

Is using exploits to the Nth degree considered cheating :) or just being clever.....or Stupid :P

LoL :ph34r:  :biggrin:

Cheers Dakpilot

Occasionally you see people using the skill cheat or teamwork cheat and it makes it very hard to shoot them down. Which is why I bomb them on the runway in my IL-2 :)

• Upvote 12

Can only confrim what's been said, I have never encountered anything close to cheating in RoF or BoS so far (and I'm very pleased with it).

The game I mainly came from however feautured many cheaters and hackers, guys who abused lowest graphic settings for better visibility and contact tracking threw clouds or bomber pilots using Flying Fortresses as death gunships against fighters (but I guess it will always happen once players have to earn money silver lions and gain online expirience ressearch points in order to proceed ingame).

I'm very confident this won't be the case in BoS and not even closely in RoF, since both games aren't focused on progress and upgrade but only the fun of flight, which is usually uninteresting to hackers/gamers.

Edit: Fun story though, I've been lately accused flying in third person only on normal server by a guy who entered a high G turnfight with my Bf109 and crashed to ground with no controll.

What he didn't consider saying so is that the Bf109's stabilizer can be very effective in such situations and easily avoid you crashing even when blacked out, which is basicly what I did.

Edited by [Jg26]5tuk4
  • Upvote 1

Never seen cheats atleast in rof or dcs or heard about cheating in those games.

all games have hacks, cheats

but getter get used to it cause real life its the same :)

all games have hacks, cheats

but getter get used to it cause real life its the same :)

Life hacks are real.

life-hack-1.jpg

• Upvote 5

Yep!  What happened at one of the servers last night? I was surprised to find all aircraft around me had their nav lights ON - LOL!!!!

It was on an Expert mode server, so, it was a lot easier to find them this way... :-)  Know what? That's what made me post the OP :-)

What about the mithical invisible skin?!

That is the mythical invisible skin that would only work on a 'mods on' server.

There are a few possible kind of "cheats", the general consensus is, where is weakness, there will be exploit. Note that the flight sim community is in general more mature than other community, therefor many of these things might not happen.

1: Bug / feature exploit - Everything that is in game and can be exploited will at some point be exploited, it will be fixed in time.

2: Graphics hacks - Erasing the cloud, glowing plane, hud with every useful info about a plane... Hello sweetfx, you work in the same way, hacks might happen someday.

3: Gameplay hacks - aimbot & co, due to the nature of the sim and the complexity of the flight model, this is unlikely to happen.

Now there are different kind of cheater.

1: People looking for an easy way to win, most of em will get bored very rapidly.

2: People developing their own hacks for a challenge (we need moaaaaaaar of em, they're not here to annoy people but to challenge themselves, can't blame em for that. )

3: People making a living of their hack (There won't be anyone like that here, the player base is way too small.)

Now there are different kind of player.

Those who win.

Those who get ass-kicked and jump on the occasion to improve themselves and their skill.

Those who think everybody cheat (It is in the human nature to rationalize everything, I don't lose because they're better, smarter or have more experience but because they cheat).

• Upvote 1

I don't understand this logic.

If they have developed a cheat, some method of modifying the game to give them a competitive edge, then they're definitely annoying people.

These are, in some ways, the worst kind of hackers since, with their custom code not widely used, they are less likely for anti-chat systems to be able to spot them and ban them.

1: Anti-cheat systems are a joke, the only anti-cheat really working is a human looking at what happened on the server.

2: Actually some people enjoy the challenge of finding weakness and exploiting them.They will try what they've done and move on something more challenging, the competitive edge isn't in being better than someone without the cheat, but being better than the code, to improve they're knowledge. Moreover, the weakness might even crawl back to the dev team (seeing the legal and moral implication of doing that, it don't happen really often.)

They remain unseen and unheard of most of the time, they will probably never bother you, yet you have to thank these kind of people for the internet and the IT as you know it.

• Upvote 3

It's been my experience flying Il2 1946 in a competitive environment that a cheater won't last long. If the server is very active they usually have Admins and people send in tracks. They get the boot forever. Also I would say that most guys that are into our genre are a bit less likely to be a hacker. Certainly there is always some asshat that breaks the rules.

To the original poster. I've had some amazing MP experiences flying Il2 1946 with the UP and HSFX Mods. If you fly on regular servers you won't run into many situations were people are hacking.

Of course there will be cheats. It won't be as obvious as laser beams or star fighter FMs, but there's a lot you can do with a hack telling you when to fire or radar instead of a map. They're probably in use already.

Hood

I've never seen a cheat used in RoF in all my years playing it in MP. I have heard that one squad did find a way to get enemy planes displayed on a map on a second screen or something, but that was just a claim. I never saw any proof of it or saw anything in game that would suggest someone was doing it.

You can have a squad member recording a track, then he quits and plays the track. Thus you can see how many planes, altitude, hdg and probable target.

ii

A cheat could and will only work if the master server gives you permission.

Actually no, the game run on your system, you are king of your system and even if it's not tolerated you can do some dynamic libraries injection, memory injection and the like. (It's already existing, look up sweetfx).

Dear Extreme 1.

Don't you think its possible for players to test code for the developers on an open mp server? Its only a question.

I just hope they won't adopt BoS for any third party software or mobile platforms in whatever kind.

A good example of "legal" cheating was the introduction of game compatible Apps for smartphones and tablets in the "thunder game" which enabled players to display the minmap during matches. Nice feauture, but way to abusive friendly.

I only took short time until guys invented active radar apps that showed minmap, markers for enemies and gave ring tones whenever sby approached your 6 (at adjusteable distances). I think there are much more pretty things you can digg up in the internet I don't know off.

BoS can surely go nice without such feautures only focusing on traditionally flight simming.

Edited by [Jg26]5tuk4

OMG! You guys didn't know??? Nav lights is über cheating since yesterday night!

Yeah apparently using your lights to signal teammates is totally cheating lol  Classic

i have to say that im number one in a 37k players leaderboard and im pretty convinced all top ten but me and other guy hack

that makes me a starnge pick :)

I think a better question would be:

Is using exploits to the Nth degree considered cheating :) or just being clever.....or Stupid :P

LoL :ph34r:  :biggrin:

Cheers Dakpilot

Occasionally you see people using the skill cheat or teamwork cheat and it makes it very hard to shoot them down. Which is why I bomb them on the runway in my IL-2 :)

Indeed... I think the word cheat is highly overmodelled..

Yeah apparently using your lights to signal teammates is totally cheating lol  Classic

Nav lights are far too bright in daylight at the moment.  Nav light use in combat is not realistic.  Looks like we are going to get the same old IL2 1946 dogfights with Christmas trees all over the sky.  It is so lame and such an immersion killer.  Reminds me that this is a game rather than a flight sim.

If the dev team cannot make lights that are less bright, then I think they should do without them altogether.  They are nav lights, not combat lights, LOL. 

I think CloD had the right approach by not having the nav lights activated.  This saves having totally unrealistic Christmas tree dogfights.  I don't want a Christmas tree dogfight sim, LOL.  Fly a Christmas tree in combat as a gamer I suppose, but I would rather a serious aircraft combat sim.  I suppose people will want to fly in combat with red smoke next, LOL. 

• Upvote 1

anyone remember pink and green trails that ruled but people used to cause lag in old il2?

Edited by raaaid

You must really hate the flare gun then Talisman.

No, but the nav lights are too bright in the daylight and I do not remember pilot accounts in WWII of Christmas tree lights in the sky pinpointing the outline of aircraft shapes when dog fighting in the day time, or even at night for that matter.

Merry Christmas all year round for Santa pilots of an arcade flashing light game, but I would rather have a serious combat flight sim.  

Talisman

S!

Earlier there were ways to game-the-game in IL-2 like pressing PrintScreen and such to cause lagging. Could tell who was doing it as his plane immediately began to warp but magically ended when he got behind you. Fix was 1 screenshot per 10sec or something. Then was this "radar cheat" in VEF and other online wars, created by a certain eastern squadron. When they were busted some of them just transferred to another squad and same crap continued with new ways to cheat or game the game. There is no way to avoid cheats or exploits as there are always individuals who probe the game to get them working. Not even a master server stops them. Want a cheat free game? Play offline. But that would be boring. So what to do? I keep playing on and offline nevertheless. If those who really need cheats and/or gaming the game to be any better, good for them. I have no need to use a single way to exploit or cheat.

• Upvote 2

BOS, COD and ROF never saw anything dodgy at all, ever...in IL2 maybe sometimes we saw somthing iffy but not 100 certain, in IL2 VEF sometimes but not often it was 100% cheating, again it was always one of a couple of sqds.