Interview with RCAF Typhoon pilot

Denum

No105_Swoose

Great articles!  Thanks for sharing!  I knew the Typhoon was plagued with problems, design flaws, and defects from the start but never realized how bad until the part 2 article.  This caught my attention in particular: "It blew dangerous amounts of carbon monoxide into the cockpit. The problem was never completely resolved and, throughout its service, it was standard procedure for Typhoon pilots to use oxygen from engine start-up to shutdown."  I wondered why the modeled pilot in the sim's Typhoon always wears an oxygen mask; now I know why.

RedKestrel
56 minutes ago, No105_Swoose said:

Great articles!  Thanks for sharing!  I knew the Typhoon was plagued with problems, design flaws, and defects from the start but never realized how bad until the part 2 article.  This caught my attention in particular: "It blew dangerous amounts of carbon monoxide into the cockpit. The problem was never completely resolved and, throughout its service, it was standard procedure for Typhoon pilots to use oxygen from engine start-up to shutdown."  I wondered why the modeled pilot in the sim's Typhoon always wears an oxygen mask; now I know why.

My first flight with it tonight I started parked on the ground and I could hear the pilot breathing through the face mask. I thought it was a bug and then I realized it was actually correct lol.

• Upvote 1

sevenless

Great read! Thanks for sharing. This line made me smile 🙃

“The sonofabitch, you couldn’t control it. I think I was 20 miles away before I got the wheels up, even.”

RedKestrel
55 minutes ago, sevenless said:

Great read! Thanks for sharing. This line made me smile 🙃

“The sonofabitch, you couldn’t control it. I think I was 20 miles away before I got the wheels up, even.”

I also liked this quote:

“I liked flying,” he said between serving a peanut lunch to a persistent blue jay keeping vigil at his living-room window. “You could do stupid things.”

It's a great interview, you can really tell he's not sugarcoating anything.

• Like 1