1CGS announces ILya Muromets Flight-Sim in Development

BlackSix

1PL-Banzai-1Esk

News: http://riseofflight.com/BLOGS/post/2014/12/11/Rise-of-Flight-United-Edition.aspx

- ILYA Muromets will be merged into Rise of Flight

- Some long requested flight model tweaks are coming for RoF

- Mouse control input method will be implemented in RoF

Great news, Muromets pre-ordered. I will most likely never fly it for too long , spending all of my gaming time in BoS, but I support this ambitious project and I am happy that right decision was made to merge it wit RoF. We are getting a free new map (eastern front), FM revisions and a new bomber.

I welcome mouse controls as well. I started playing RoF after reading an article in PCGamer. I had no joystick or trackir. It was my first experience with modern flight sims. Flying with keyboard was very difficult but I got the feeling for the game. I bought T16000 joystick and dived in. Before I knew it I had a hangar full of planes , spent a lot of money and time in RoF , and I don't regret a thing.

So I suspect that having mouse control will attract new players to RoF , and some of them will get joysticks eventually and become flight sim 'junkies' :). And then some of them will make transition to BoS , so all and all it's great news. Who knows , maybe we will se mouse controls in BoS , or another expansion.

Edited by 307_Banzai

Great news!...Let me know when we can pre-order!....

That will re-launch some MP activity in RoF!...Awesome!.....

So what is happening with some posters?...The more you cry, the more chances you get to be offered a discount?

Good news - I was beginning to wonder what was going on with IM, with nothing heard from the developers for some time. The merge seems entirely sensible, and its good that they are looking at existing FMs too - though I think we can take it as read that whatever they do, someone is going to insist that it's all wrong, us flight simmers being the way we are...  :rolleyes:

MiG21bisFishbedL

This makes sense, at least. How will it effect steam installs? Will it be coming to Steam? I might consider it on sale.

Edited by MiG21bisFishbedL
  • Upvote 1

There already is mouse control in RoF...has been since it was first released. Either that or some of you have been aiming your gunners with the cursors :/

(I know...)

Wow, i'm gonna reinstall RoF right when i get home and will be looking forward to the updates. :biggrin:

I hope it will revive the RoF MP a bit.

Very much looking forward to fending off some faster Albatrosses in my significantly slower Camel.  I never thought I'd put my money down on another "Ilya" again, but this ones a must  :)

6./ZG26_5tuka

Well that's too much goodness. BoS is running on the enhenced RoF engine and while sharing many simlarities a conversation isn't easily done, especially talking about RoF FMs and game mechanics.

While I'd pretty much welcome a RoF 2.0 relaunch with the boS engien I doubt they can or intend to make it possible with their limited manpower. Also don't forget DCS only feautures different planes combined in one game, not different scenarios with completely seperated game mechanics and such.

...I would suggest going even further, and integrate the 3 sims in a single platform, just like DSC World...

The more I play il2-BOS and il2-CloD, and now RoF too, the more I find** some ** of  the best features of each of these tittles very easily identifiable in il2-bos. After all the same teams are in the root of the three tittles ( ? ) 

BoS and RoF are made by the same team (777) and BoS is based on an evolution of the RoF engine. Very few of the CloD team were merged into 1C-777 from what I heard, and CloD is based on an entirely different engine. It is highly unlikely that CloD would be merged into the other two due to engine differences and the staff who wrote the CloD engine having gone to other projects (dcs, etc). I understand that some DCS engineers have also moved to 1C-777. The flight sim world is a small family. ;) But given the difficulties of migrating content from one engine to another - even assets available from the abandoned IL2 Battle for Moscow project were re-created for BoS rather than imported from the old project - we probably won't see a mashup of CloD and Bos.

Importing assets from RoF to BoS though, that's another story entirely. I'd love to see the RoF maps in BoS, even if they would not be entirely (or even remotely) historically accurate. It would just be fun to fly the old maps in a fantasy setting. If DCS can play all the world's battles in Georgia, why can't we have fun playing ww2 Russia Vs Germany over the English Channel.  :lol:

Edited by 39bn_pavig

Maybe a little, but I just wanted to be sure. :ph34r:

That was my very first thought while going through the thread, too (when reading 'Ilya' it sends a shiver down my spine...;-)). Sad thing is that it actually DOES influence my decision whether to follow this project at all... strongly!

Guys,

I will try to answer some of the basic questions you will have.

1.) Q: Why is this separate product and not part of ROF proper? Many users have expressed interest having an Eastern Front add-on for ROF. Why do they need to purchase something separate which can easily be added to ROF’s existing store and architecture?

A: This product is funded by the Russian WWI Historical Society and it makes sense to market such a product independently without requiring users to download and install a separate product not necessarily focusing on the Ilya Muromets which is the star of this product. Additionally, this product will include a new control scheme that would require a huge re-write of existing code for all planes in ROF since special work is needed to allow our planes to fly with a mouse, but still adhere to our engine’s realistic attributes. Adding that functionality to all ROF planes is expensive and time consuming. It would also no doubt be controversial for existing users who fly with traditional flight-controls. Ilya Morumets allows us to create this new control option without upsetting current ROF gameplay norms. It also allows us to utilize our experience gained making and selling BOS to better attract interested retailers and new customers. 

2:) Q: So is the team working simultaniously on BoS and this sim or are there different teams working on each?

A;) No same team does both. 

3:) Can you for instance take a plane which you bought in RoF and fly it in this sim?

A:) No they are separate products and cannot be mixed and matched.

Jason

Hi Jason,

I was very excited to see an independent development of another WWI flight sim allowing for variation in the simulation engine etc. With your(?) recent announcement that IM is to be merged with ROF I have requested a refund as I purchased on the premise that you raise. Basically better support for various controllers and more advanced development as a result of BoS. I don't wish to sound offensive, but the portrayal of IM as a separate application was VERY appealing. Now trying to get 1CGS support to understand that my request for a refund is based on the reasons you mention (as quoted above) is proving to be problematical! 

I don't wish to sound offensive, but the portrayal of IM as a separate application was VERY appealing.

To be honest if you haven't uninstalled it, then you still can play IM as a separate application.

Zak, any word on a steam release? I might be interested.

S-22 on Steam? Working on it, but I don't have any dates on hands yet, unfortunately. I bet they are busy with the sale these days.

I have all the planes in ROF, but never really taken the time to fly it. I was amazed to see the sub hunt single mission with the Felixstowe. I navigated and dropped bomb and got the sub to catch fire , but not sunk. Then I saw this funny cannon in the front turret. What a blast that was. Funniest moment I had in flight sim since I flew IL 2 for the first time in early 2000 . Fantastic

MiG21bisFishbedL

S-22 on Steam? Working on it, but I don't have any dates on hands yet, unfortunately. I bet they are busy with the sale these days.

Bummer, but thanks for a response either way.