1CGS announces ILya Muromets Flight-Sim in Development

BlackSix

a question. The co-op mode, as well as the mission editor is very complex to implement or simply see no business in them?. 

It's just that I see a tendency to eliminate these 

regards

en Español

una pregunta. El modo cooperativo, tanto como el editor de misiones es muy complejo de aplicar o simplemente no le ven el negocio en ellos?.

Es solo que veo que hay una tendencia a eliminar estos

saludos

Devilsbirth

while increasing accessibility for those that do not have easy access to advanced flight-controls or the money to invest in such devices. 

You mean pirates? You make game for pirates? Because everyone who can afford computer game can afford joystick.

;)

As for that mouse control - are you making it close to WT's mouse aim or mouse joystick?

Edited by Devilsbirth
  • Upvote 1

advice. finished a first project and then we started another, since we are still waiting for a plane, I do not think even doing another preorder a false add-on

RoF if has to die, say so.

Here is some additional info about the mouse control option to help clear it up.

To further build interest in the flight-sim genre, Ilya Muromets will debut a newly designed control option that allows using the mouse and keyboard to fly aircraft. However, our mouse and keyboard control option has been specially designed to keep realistic performance, physics and limits of the aircraft in place, while increasing accessibility for those that do not have easy access to advanced flight-controls or the money to invest in such devices. Our blend of mouse-control and advanced physics is unique to the genre and will be ground-breaking. It will allow more casual simmers to fly and fight without being in an arcade environment. Traditional control options for joysticks, pedals and head-tracking will also be included.

Jason

4.) Q: Since this is a separate product from ROF, does this signal the end of ROF development? No more planes or maps or bug fixes?

A: The end date of no more content and tweaks to ROF is as of yet undecided by 1C-777.  When we release the Hanriot this summer we will assess what we are going to do. As products get older the return on investment fades and new content does not necessarily sell as well as in the beginning making the continued work on ROF more difficult to justify, but we will continue to assess the situation.

Jason

advice. finished a first project and then we started another, since we are still waiting for a plane, I do not think even doing another preorder a false add-on

RoF if has to die, say so.

I think you miss that answer from Jason. We will have the Hanriot that summer, and after, we could pray to have something. In his answer, he talked about RoF and addon. So, we are a lot to think that Rof is dying (the work on the Strutter is not as good than other aircraft), i think the answer from Jason is a kind of confirmation, even if he keeps some reserve.

Its clear that RoF has run its course (was quite clear allready when BoS was announced)

BOS is the big project now.

The Ilya Muromets projects is an obvious thing to do considering the opportunity - funding, all the base is done (RoF) and the artists for the maps were done with BoS (Map is the big work together with the bomber)

The only thing delaying BOS and Hannriot was making the bomber for the new sim.

I guess that this means that RoF MP will now really fade, ILya M sim will have quite some life and a lot of RoF players will go move to it for the change in scenery and gameplay.

Should be quite good and I am looking forward to it - especially as the planeset looks like it will be more balanced. I just hope that they will redo the FMs of the Albies a bit to get them a bit faster (and hopefully port this over to RoF).

But in all it will be a side show to BoS - that is quite clear.

IMO - there will be a RoF 2 some day. As long as BoS is sucesfull and the next few theaters get made.

Perhaps in 3 to 4 years time.

With RoF Graphic Engine again if the whole simmers world right now can`t support projects with ROF scale? Why not to use BoS Graphic Engine if this game is a seperate product? This would help both games (BoS and ILYA MUROMETS) and the development?

The ROF graphics engine is the BOS graphics engine.

At BoS

I only see white,  and white , and more white snow , and more white Clouds ,  and more white map , had me fell very depressed , mournful, desolate, sad, distressed .

I no longer desire to get in multiplayer at BoS, any more.

But here  at ILYA MUROMETS , we have least one Green map ! Green trees ! and Green Grass ! blue water ! a beautiful landscape.

I liked the screen shots ! ,  That makes me happy...  makes me want to fly again !

Congratulations Guys ! Good News !!

Count me !!!

Edited by Mustang

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams

The ROF graphics engine is the BOS graphics engine.

BOS is a slightly modified version of the ROF graphics engine a this point.

Jason

We will have Response Curves like RoF for Joystick ?

To optimize and calibrate different types of Joysticks and controls. 

Wouldn't it be better to invest the same manpower and release a couple of extra DLC planes for BoS instead of this new side project? Or the funding from Russian Military Historical Society and a way to investigate new mouse-control schemes made this so much more attractive proposition? Sorry, just thinking out loud. Best of luck with this new project, though I don't see myself buying it personally (due to the fact it's based on older RoF engine and will probably not have the same long-term support as BoS..)

Feathered_IV

If there was an option to merge it with RoF, similar to how Pacific Fighters worked with the original Il-2. Then I'd be quite interested. But as a gift shop item of strictly limited scope and a short development future, I think I will pass on it.

• Upvote 2

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams

I'm going to say the same thing I said elsewhere. NO POLITICS. We are simply making a game some of you may want to play.

Jason

FuriousMeow

I'm interested. Same AFM like RoF it appears, same DM capabilities, same graphics engine capabilities, looks like something I'll buy to support the genre/team and get some enjoyment out of.

I purchased Looking Glass'  Flight Unlimited which, contrary to its name, was very limited. I still had fun with it.

I am curious though, will the servers be able to lock down mouse control settings so that if a server operator wants only HOTAS/joystick users they will have that option? I have no idea how the mouse control works, and if it offers any kind of possible advantage like another game, but just curious if this will be possible?

Edited by FuriousMeow

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams

Meow,

See my comments on the previous page about mouse control. With our system there should be no advantage.

Jason

Cool news guys, looking forward to this.

Another note. I really hope we would get this, rof and bos under same engine at some point so we could fly everything under one launcher... One can dream, right?

Its clear that RoF has run its course (was quite clear allready when BoS was announced)

BOS is the big project now.

The Ilya Muromets projects is an obvious thing to do considering the opportunity - funding, all the base is done (RoF) and the artists for the maps were done with BoS (Map is the big work together with the bomber)

The only thing delaying BOS and Hannriot was making the bomber for the new sim.

I guess that this means that RoF MP will now really fade, ILya M sim will have quite some life and a lot of RoF players will go move to it for the change in scenery and gameplay.

Should be quite good and I am looking forward to it - especially as the planeset looks like it will be more balanced. I just hope that they will redo the FMs of the Albies a bit to get them a bit faster (and hopefully port this over to RoF).

But in all it will be a side show to BoS - that is quite clear.

IMO - there will be a RoF 2 some day. As long as BoS is sucesfull and the next few theaters get made.

Perhaps in 3 to 4 years time.

LOL, you mean release 'ROF2' in late 2018/19 just after the centenary of WWI.

I was rather looking forward to some big online scenarios played out in 2016, 2017, 2018.

Cool news guys, looking forward to this.

Another note. I really hope we would get this, rof and bos under same engine at some point so we could fly everything under one launcher... One can dream, right?

Thanks!

If ROF 2 is ever released then probably yes - it may be closely related to IL2BOS, but ILya M. is separate from both in many ways.

Sid - Its the realistic possibility - obviously not the best one considering the dates.

I guess the best one would be either october 2016 or march / april 2017 - that would be a good one.

And than expand accordingly to the progression of the war - just 100 later.

That would certanly be interesting

But who is to say that RoF2 will even happen.

Soon its time to fly / shoot down some big bombers and a new area to fight on - should be good in second part of the year I think.

Blooddawn1942

Now as its becoming obvious, that the Product RoF reached it's lifespan, I would desperatly like to see a sequel.

I understand, from a business point of view, that more content for RoF does not make sense anymore.

But please, don't forget that it was this epic WWI sim, that took Your development company where it is today.

It would be a shame to leave such an heritage behind.

A new RoF with the actual DN engine and some enhancements....what a dream. I would'nt hesitate to buy all that RoF content again.

Thanks!

If ROF 2 is ever released then probably yes - it may be closely related to IL2BOS, but ILya M. is separate from both in many ways.

Having RoF (2) planes and maps integrated in IL2 BoS platform would be a dream come true! :)

And changing the FM for some of the planes ! S!

Edited by SYN_Vander

MiG21bisFishbedL

I hate to do this, but I do have to question the value of purchasing this.

Do I like the setting? Totally, I'd be first in line to buy this if it were an addon to ROF.

But, where does this set itself apart from ROF outside of setting? What is going to differ this from ROF? Because, looking at this from the perspective of a customer, I see this as a ROF vs. Ilya Muromets decision for many. I'm looking at them, they'd both offer much of the same. Only, ROF comes off ahead due to its enormous content advantage and community support. I'd love to buy Ilya Muromets because it's a theatre I've yet to see portrayed in a flight sim, let alone *any* video game, but I'm just not seeing a reason to do so.

Will there be something that sets Ilya Muromets apart from ROF?

Please, please, just consider to have an option to merge with RoF like, it was possible with Pacific fighters and the Old Il-2, that would be the  wisest aproach to both costumers markets, i will love as many others to have all in conjuction with RoF, but not as a separate install in my HDD.

It will be great to have that option.

Regs

Potz

I guess RoF has reached the end of its shelf life since the mountain of DLC a newcomer would need to buy to have everything is off-putting. Maybe in time all content from RoF will get ported over to Ilya Muromets if it sells well to transition Muromets into a RoF 2.0, or even the other way around if Muromets doesn't sell well. For example, after Muromet's release they could develop new WWI aircraft and throw in already developed RoF aircraft/content as part of some DLC expansion packs down the road. It will be interesting to see if the addition of mouse control will increase sales of the WWI arena to make Muromets a success though. I wish you guys best of luck with the project, but after reading the announcement it's not a 'must have' for me like BoS is so I'll be watching from the sidelines on this one. 

Edited by SYN_Requiem

Why are people so hungry to get this new product merged with Rise of Flight?  I don't see any benefit to that.

Anyway, day-one buy for me.  It'll be a great excuse to get back into WWI flying.  :)

MiG21bisFishbedL

Why are people so hungry to get this new product merged with Rise of Flight?  I don't see any benefit to that.

Anyway, day-one buy for me.  It'll be a great excuse to get back into WWI flying.   :)

Simple, really.

If it doesn't set itself apart from RoF in any real practical way, it's essentially the same game taking up space on your hard dive with a price tag for a second purchase, just a different theatre.

777 is a good studio and I hope this isn't the case and that IM sets itself apart from RoF in more ways than one. Otherwise, it'll be a sale purchase for me.

But who is to say that RoF2 will even happen.

I agree, ROF2 appears to be no more than a pipe dream at this point, nothing more, just a possibility.

Soon its time to fly / shoot down some big bombers and a new area to fight on - should be good in second part of the year I think.

Not for me my friend, I'm not spending a single penny more with 777 until we know more about their plans for ROF.

No, IM has no new technologies, only those that have already been released with recent ROF versions.

Probably same D.III as in ROF. I don't think we have had time to make such detailed changes to the D.III.

The same ROF mark1 game engine.

The same Nieuport 17 with a glass rudder.

The same Albatros D.III.

The only thing new is the map and Ilya Muromets bomber, all for yet an undisclosed sum.

A yet bigger concern is what Jason means by this:

A: The end date of no more content and tweaks to ROF is as of yet undecided by 1C-777.  When we release the Hanriot this summer we will assess what we are going to do. As products get older the return on investment fades and new content does not necessarily sell as well as in the beginning making the continued work on ROF more difficult to justify, but we will continue to assess the situation.

Rise of Flight - Channel Battles Edition was only released as a boxed game on 7 Feb 2014. Are you really saying your thinking of discontinuing support for people who bought it less than six months later?

More importantly, just as in BOS, ROF is totally dependant on the 'Master Server' both for access and scoring.

ROF's own leaderboards have been shut down for quite some time now.

The Master Server has been fubared since the Service Maintenance on the 3rd March

I wait with baited breath to hear what will happen to the 'Master Server' (and the maintenance it requires to keep it running smoothly) should 1C-777 discontinue support for ROF.

Will you free ROF from the requirement to connect to it?

Will we be able to continue to play ROF after you discontinue support for it?

Will those of us that run online dedicated servers still be able to run online?

• Upvote 1

Where on earth do they say they will discontinue support for RoF?  They say they might be done adding content to RoF (might be).  That is a long, long way away from shutting down the servers and discontinuing support.  I swear the reading comprehension of people who frequent this board is taking a nose dive. 

FuriousMeow
Rise of Flight - Channel Battles Edition was only released as a boxed game on 7 Feb 2014. Are you really saying your thinking of discontinuing support for people who bought it less than six months later?

Aside from the Il-2 series, all boxed games lost support after less time than that. There was never an ongoing contractual obligation, the Channel Battles was purchased "as is" and anything else was bonus.

People purchased the Channel Battles, not "consistent and persistant updates for ever."

Unless you pay a monthly sum to assure continued development, then support is not going to be ongoing.

Edited by FuriousMeow

Where on earth do they say they will discontinue support for RoF?  They say they might be done adding content to RoF (might be).  That is a long, long way away from shutting down the servers and discontinuing support.  I swear the reading comprehension of people who frequent this board is taking a nose dive. 

ROF is totally dependant on the Master Server. We've been complaining it's broken since March. By broken I mean

- "No Statistics on Game Server - empty statistics list" - Blank more often than working

- "No kill notifications"

- "Delayed kill notifications"

- "Player Deaths not always recorded/Kill streaks not always resetting"

- "Kills not being recorded"

777 have yet to acknowledge there is even a problem, yet alone fix it. I can't say I've seen much support this year!

Aside from the Il-2 series, all boxed games lost support after less time than that. There was never an ongoing contractual obligation, the Channel Battles was purchased "as is" and anything else was bonus.

People purchased the Channel Battles, not "consistent and persistant updates for ever."

Unless you pay a monthly sum to assure continued development, then support is not going to be ongoing.

True, but most previous boxed games weren't dependant on a Master Server.

BOS is due out in September, I take it you'll be quite happy with it "as is" then, and anything else will be a bonus?

• Upvote 1

VA_SOLIDKREATE

Oh wow those screens look great. I was wondering when 777/1C was going to feature the other forces in WWI. Is Italy going to be featured too?

I will most probably pass on this,too.For some reason complete idea sounds a bit odd to me.But I can understand at least founding bacground etc.Good luck with project.

PS> I personally do not believe that mouse control (in whatever form it may be) will attract more players.Mediocre joystick with hand twist is available for 40-50 euros and cant be replaced by mouse.But maybe I am totally wrong and there is a flight sim revolution boiling around the corner.

I totally don't understand what people have against mouse control...it's just an extra control scheme. Imagine a potential customer that likes to try a flight sim and does not have a joystick (difficult to imagine right? But there are plenty!). Having at least mouse control he/she will be able to take-off and do a little flying; at least much better than with a keyboard! Then sure, the next step will be a cheap joystick (which nowadays is not something you can pick up in a store!).

• Upvote 2

how to pay?

40/50 for what?

a plane and a map that can be inserted well in RoF?

8 aircraft, a face = after 6 months people will get tired with 4 aircraft on a map, the same aircraft then we are on the ROF, with no modification

the channel map as it is used in MP?

buy back all of the content RoF?

you dream

I'm surprised that there are people happy about this when we wait for months the 'Hanriot and changes on Strutter

I don't see it as a problem that IM and ROF will be separated. It makes more sense to me than having them merged, based on what Jason has said about the matter.

Personally I'd be just happy to have this 'little ROF' where there are no Camels or Dr.1s dominating the multiplayer in a single server.

And about mouse control. I certainly have many friends who I've been trying to get to try come fly with me in ROF, but I always hear the same excuse: "I don't have a joystick". And I can say that they certainly would never be bothered to BUY one just to try a flight sim. I am certain that adding a non-benefitial mouse control system would certainly add interest and increase sales. If one doesn't own a joystick, there is very little chance for him/her to ever even try a flight sim, but if the sim had a proper mouse control system, they'd have no reason to not give it a try.

Flight sims without mouse control don't offer a chance for starters. IM will. Would make little sense for a historical society to fund a sim that only the little group of people with the required gear would show interest in.

Rothary

• Upvote 1

The only problem I've seen with the master server is the lack of connection to the leader board.  Which to me is not a problem.  In fact it might be a benefit.  All of your other problems I don't see or don't notice.  RoF is working fine.  We had 40 or so flying a 1916 mission 2 days ago.  Maybe not the heyday of the sim but not bad either.  For those who might be wondering, RoF is doing fine and I expect it to be supported for a long time to come.  Maybe longer with this news. 

Personally I'd be just happy to have this 'little ROF' where there are no Camels or Dr.1s dominating the multiplayer in a single server.

Adding the Camel and/or Dr1 to a multiplayer mission is a choice of whoever is running the server. No need to buy a separate sim for that! :)

Which reminds me of the solution for endless FM discussions: Release multiple versions of a plane, eg a "Clerget" and "Le Rhone" version of the Camel with different performance (or a "factory" and "worn-out" version). Then the mission maker can finetune any (perceived) FM problems or simply balance plane-sets for online play. 

I totally don't understand what people have against mouse control...it's just an extra control scheme. Imagine a potential customer that likes to try a flight sim and does not have a joystick (difficult to imagine right? But there are plenty!). Having at least mouse control he/she will be able to take-off and do a little flying; at least much better than with a keyboard! Then sure, the next step will be a cheap joystick (which nowadays is not something you can pick up in a store!).

+1

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams

The issue with mouse control is that it is perceived as being easier to control the plane and hence giving you an advantage in dogfights. I personally don't think that is the case. However, we've tried to correct that by keeping our physics the same (not arcade) and tailoring the mouse control to each plane's character. We consulted on for another company's mouse control so we are quite familiar with the issues.

I don't enjoy mouse control myself, but there apparently are lots of potential customers who do. Our goal is to try and make sure you can't tell them apart.

It's an experiment we are willing to try with IM.

Jason

• Upvote 1

FuriousMeow
True, but most previous boxed games weren't dependant on a Master Server.

BOS is due out in September, I take it you'll be quite happy with it "as is" then, and anything else will be a bonus?

And the Master Server will remain up, they aren't cutting it out. When/if the master server goes down, 777 has said time and again they will look into ways to ensure the game itself doesn't become unplayable.

BoS is due out in September, yes. "As is" when its at 100%, yes I will be happy with it. I will consider anything else beyond 100% a bonus, and very happy if it continues on to other theaters. You're probably trying to think that "as is" is the current state, but its not - its still 51%, and not until its 100% will it be "as is."

• Upvote 1