1CGS announces ILya Muromets Flight-Sim in Development

BlackSix

• 1CGS

1С Game Studios and the Russian Military Historical Society are excited to announce the development of ILYA MUROMETS, a new flight sim dedicated to

World War I.

ILYA MUROMETS covers the events of the air war on the Eastern Front during WWI and features the gigantic and legendary four-engine bomber of the Imperial Russian Air Force. This plane became the first large bomber in the history of aerial warfare and is the forefather of the multi-engine long-range strategic aviation of later conflicts.

ILYA MUROMETS will feature several additional fighter planes and attack planes from Russia, Germany and Austro-Hungary. A map covering a portion of the Eastern Front (territory of modern Ukraine) will be included in the game. This was an active theatre for the Ilya Muromets during the war where several famous missions took place. The game will include a set of challenging single-player mission scenarios along with a quick mission builder and multiplayer capability.

“We’re happy to work together with the Russian Military Historical Society on this project. This is a unique opportunity for us to put our knowledge about air battles of that period into practice,” comments Albert Zhiltsov ala LOFT, producer at 1C Game Studios. “World War I, especially the Eastern Front, is a topic that is not widely covered in video games. Our team has vast experience in creating flight simulations and we have a chance to use all of our technology including an advanced physics system, complex flight models and accurate ballistics to bring this legendary plane to life. This project is more than a game to us - it’s a great opportunity to introduce players to the history of Russian aviation and to further build interest in the flight-sim genre. To make it more accessible to newcomers we also plan to introduce a new control system in the upcoming game.”

post-7693-0-67922900-1402909099.jpg post-7693-0-68989800-1402909114.jpg post-7693-0-92786900-1402909140.png

ILYA MUROMETS is scheduled to be released in Q4 2014 with the Early Access program starting August 1st.

Additional information about the game is available at www.ilyamuromets.net

More screenshots from ILYA MUROMETS are available at http://ilyamuromets.net/forum/topic/9-gallery/

Full news

Wow!

Only 1 question: Will this be compatible with Rise of Flight? (as Add-on?)

If not, then question #2; Why not?  :)

Interesting. So is the team working simultaniously on BoS and this sim or are there different teams working on each?

Also what Vander said. Can you for instance take a plane which you bought in RoF and fly it in this sim?

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams

Guys,

I will try to answer some of the basic questions you will have.

1.) Q: Why is this separate product and not part of ROF proper? Many users have expressed interest having an Eastern Front add-on for ROF. Why do they need to purchase something separate which can easily be added to ROF’s existing store and architecture?

A: This product is funded by the Russian WWI Historical Society and it makes sense to market such a product independently without requiring users to download and install a separate product not necessarily focusing on the Ilya Muromets which is the star of this product. Additionally, this product will include a new control scheme that would require a huge re-write of existing code for all planes in ROF since special work is needed to allow our planes to fly with a mouse, but still adhere to our engine’s realistic attributes. Adding that functionality to all ROF planes is expensive and time consuming. It would also no doubt be controversial for existing users who fly with traditional flight-controls. Ilya Morumets allows us to create this new control option without upsetting current ROF gameplay norms. It also allows us to utilize our experience gained making and selling BOS to better attract interested retailers and new customers. 

2:) Q: So is the team working simultaniously on BoS and this sim or are there different teams working on each?

A;) No same team does both. 

3:) 
Can you for instance take a plane which you bought in RoF and fly it in this sim?

A:) No they are separate products and cannot be mixed and matched.

Jason

• Upvote 1

150GCT_Veltro

When you say "Austrian", do you talk abot D.III Oeffang? If yes, wich version? Serie 53? Serie 153? We could have also the German D.III, the Johannisthal? Could we have these scout as separate release for RoF Western Front? Nobody here care about mouse control for RoF-WTO aircrafts.

Please give us some more info about D.III.

Good news indeed, thank you.

Edited by 150GCT_Veltro
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the answers Jason!

Looks like I will not buy this then, pity. But I understand the reasoning, ie collaboration with Russian Historical society. Also nice to see the Moruments modelled. Looks great!

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams

Probably same D.III as in ROF. I don't think we have had time to make such detailed changes to the D.III.

Jason

rigbyDerekb1948

Great news! Sounds like a "must have" sim.

Will the aircraft be "mouse-control" only, or will conventional controls (eg. Logitech G940, etc.) be usable as well?

150GCT_Veltro

Ok, so no Austrian aicrafts if not as marking. They did fly both the D.III Oeffang and Johannisthal but not the OAW.

Thank for your answer.

• Upvote 1

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams

Great news! Sounds like a "must have" sim.

Will the aircraft be "mouse-control" only, or will conventional controls (eg. Logitech G940, etc.) be usable as well?

No, no, of course you can still use joysticks. We are using this product opportunity to experiment with mouse-control without affecting our previous title and making this product as accessible as possible.

Jason

=LD=Hethwill

Interesting take on the Eastern side of things.

Does mouse-control plans equals fly-by-wire soft simulation ?

Also, this means the RoF engine will be reviewed and possibly upgraded correct ? ( not implying a RoF major upgrade itself mind you )

Thank you.

And we as team not success with ROF result after all investment. I know, this is sad, but true. Whole simmers world right now can`t support projects with ROF scale.

With RoF Graphic Engine again if the whole simmers world right now can`t support projects with ROF scale? Why not to use BoS Graphic Engine if this game is a seperate product? This would help both games (BoS and ILYA MUROMETS) and the development?

Edited by Superghostboy

6./ZG26_5tuka

Wow, this is some great news! Looking forward to this new WW1 simulation (still enjoying RoF very much)!

Mouse controll sheme scares me a bit though, hopefully it's not anything like our well known "mouse aim" (in some other game...) compensating for any pilot mistakes.

I'm very confident dves won't let this happen though so battles with miced contorll shemes might be quite interesting.

Edited by [Jg26]5tuk4

Blooddawn1942

In generall, I am really happy to see RoF evolve to another Theater of war.

Even if it's in fact another game.

Any words on estaminated price?

Is the Ilya Muromets based on the one, which was build as a 3D Model by a modder which could be seen on some screenshots in the RoF forum?

When will we be allowed to pre-order?

Mouse steering? Come on. Are You serious?

I whish You the best of luck with this one and I am really looking forward to the EA.

SYN_DerHesse70

Mouse control!?! :o:

What a waste of time! :(

Why not an addon to ROF with full HOTAS control. I hope this isn't a new trend.

Edited by SYN_DerHesse70

DD_bongodriver

ROF fans will be thrilled, I'm pleased for them, this should be a great test for mouse control and hopeful integration to BOS, certainly would appeal to the large War thunder player base.

Will there be a version for Android?

• Upvote 8

A War Thunder Game not even worth to spend money for it. Wait a while and you would see that Russian Military Historical Society start to made a WWII using BoS for it......

And real planes you fly with a mouse, too  :lol:

A:) No they are separate products and cannot be mixed and matched.

Jason

Jason can you made a DLC for RoF? I mean some Russian planes for RoF and a map that covering the Eastern Front would be great for RoF.

Ilya Morumets allows us to create this new control option without upsetting current ROF gameplay norms.

=LD=Hethwill

Mind you not all "mouse control sim" options are bad and you cannot take WT as the only example.

We had some good implementations of it through the years mostly on space sims - freespace & 2, freelancer, and even the new Elite Dangerous has it correctly implemented.

VBF-12_Stick-95

Interesting development.  Looking forward to it.  I hope the maps will be able to be used in BOS.

My concern is that, as a separate sim from ROF, it has the potential to split the already small mp community.

FlatSpinMan

Interesting surprise. Good luck, guys.

Hopefully this will help bolster the flight sim market even further.

Wait a while and you would see that Russian Military Historical Society start to made a WWII using BoS for it......

If I were a BoS developer I would feel very proud if that happened.

Congratulations to 777/1CGS and best of luck with this project!

We are using this product opportunity to experiment with mouse-control without affecting our previous title and making this product as accessible as possible.

If that mouse-control experiment is successful, will it be integrated directly in BoS or do you think about making a separate game based on BoS with that technology?

I understand why RoF planes won't be imported in IL-Mur. Do you plan to import IL-Mur planes and map into RoF?

Thanks for kind words everybody!

If that mouse-control experiment is successful, will it be integrated directly in BoS or do you think about making a separate game based on BoS with that technology?

Do you plan to import IL-Mur planes and map into RoF?

We're not considering adding mouse control into already announced projects. Also there's a lot to do to make this mouse control possible so it's too early to plan or dream

No, we plan to keep content strictly bound to the projects it was designed for.

Wow!

Only 1 question: Will this be compatible with Rise of Flight? (as Add-on?)

If not, then question #2; Why not?   :)

Those were my questions too .. which Jason answered..

What a waste of time! :(

Why not an addon to ROF with full HOTAS control. I hope this isn't a new trend.

Bear in mind... that IL2 can also be flown with a mouse and keyboard.. Granted you will certainly not be as successful against a pilot with a full blown HOTAS and TIR .. but it can be done. I am thinking when they say mouse control they do not mean the same thing as that hokey mouse aim feature in WT. I am thinking that the mouse control feature they are referring to hear is more flight control ... I could be wrong but..

Sounds interesting enough.. I am not a big fan if the era.. but if it works great. My questions are:

Will this slow down the expansion of BoS into other theaters with a broader plane set?

Will some of this work find it's way into BoS and/or RoF ... like say maps for instance or objects or even procedures where applicable?

Are there any long range ... long term plans to eventually try to integrate all of this into a single product?

Feathered_IV

Interesting project for the home market in the east. Good luck with it.

Is Luthier going to be involved at all? 

• Upvote 1

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams

I guess that's a joke. No Luthier does not work for us and is not involved.

Jason

Will this slow down the expansion of BoS into other theaters with a broader plane set?

Will some of this work find it's way into BoS and/or RoF ... like say maps for instance or objects or even procedures where applicable?

Are there any long range ... long term plans to eventually try to integrate all of this into a single product?

No, shouldn't influence the timeline at all (already did a bit, at that'd be all).

No, IM has no new technologies, only those that have already been released with recent ROF versions. A game based on BOS technologies would be ROF-2 but that's a different story.

Sorry, no info about it as of yet. This is a separate game at all.

LOL WHAT :)

startrekmike

At the risk of being "that guy" and all, I guess I gotta ask if this project will be taking even more focus off Rise of flight? I mean, I know that development for ROF is not over, I understand that their is more pressing work to be done with BoS but now that we have this new title, where does ROF fit in?

• Upvote 1

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams

Interesting take on the Eastern side of things.

Does mouse-control plans equals fly-by-wire soft simulation ?

Also, this means the RoF engine will be reviewed and possibly upgraded correct ? ( not implying a RoF major upgrade itself mind you )

Thank you.

Here is some additional info about the mouse control option to help clear it up.

To further build interest in the flight-sim genre, Ilya Muromets will debut a newly designed control option that allows using the mouse and keyboard to fly aircraft. However, our mouse and keyboard control option has been specially designed to keep realistic performance, physics and limits of the aircraft in place, while increasing accessibility for those that do not have easy access to advanced flight-controls or the money to invest in such devices. Our blend of mouse-control and advanced physics is unique to the genre and will be ground-breaking. It will allow more casual simmers to fly and fight without being in an arcade environment. Traditional control options for joysticks, pedals and head-tracking will also be included.

Jason

At the risk of being "that guy" and all, I guess I gotta ask if this project will be taking even more focus off Rise of flight? I mean, I know that development for ROF is not over, I understand that their is more pressing work to be done with BoS but now that we have this new title, where does ROF fit in?

4.) Q: Since this is a separate product from ROF, does this signal the end of ROF development? No more planes or maps or bug fixes?

A: The end date of no more content and tweaks to ROF is as of yet undecided by 1C-777.  When we release the Hanriot this summer we will assess what we are going to do. As products get older the return on investment fades and new content does not necessarily sell as well as in the beginning making the continued work on ROF more difficult to justify, but we will continue to assess the situation.

Jason

• Upvote 1

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams

In generall, I am really happy to see RoF evolve to another Theater of war.

Even if it's in fact another game.

Any words on estaminated price?

Is the Ilya Muromets based on the one, which was build as a 3D Model by a modder which could be seen on some screenshots in the RoF forum?

When will we be allowed to pre-order?

Mouse steering? Come on. Are You serious?

I whish You the best of luck with this one and I am really looking forward to the EA.

1. No price available yet.

2. It started that way and we purchased it and finished it to our specs and tweaked it for our engine. This model was very good and it has been rare when we have had to opportunity to do something like this.

3. Yes, there will be an early access and pre-order period similar to BOS, although the time frame is much more condensed.

4. Please see my other comments in this thread about moue control. We are very cognizant of what hardcore simmers think of mouse control, but the market has changed and we have to adapt to survive. However, we are doing our mouse control a bit differently than the rest since our physics are more advanced.

Jason

• Upvote 2

=LD=Hethwill

That's a good exposure Jason. Thank you. Eager to see what you magicians conjure with it. S!

startrekmike

Thanks for the answers Jason, I get the impression that this is almost a "extension" of sorts for ROF in the sense that (as you said) ROF is pretty old, it has had a pretty good run and has lost a lot of momentum due to it's age, this new project should perk up more interest than just adding to a pre-existing one.

I do have one question however that will perhaps act as a platform for you to clear up some other questions that others might have.

Assuming we opt to use our existing flight sim gear, can we expect realism that is on par with what we have seen for ROF and BoS? will there still be options for mixture, radiator and other engine management?

Secondly, will we only be able to fly the Ilya Muromets or will it be like ROF and BoS in that we have a selection of aircraft to fly from every side of the conflict? Additionally, is there some potential for this to become something like ROF where development of additional content could continue into the long term?

Feathered_IV

I guess that's a joke. No Luthier does not work for us and is not involved.

Maybe a little, but I just wanted to be sure.  :ph34r:

Thanks for kind words everybody!

We're not considering adding mouse control into already announced projects. Also there's a lot to do to make this mouse control possible so it's too early to plan or dream

No, we plan to keep content strictly bound to the projects it was designed for.

Phew!:)

frankly if adding mouse control ( in addition to Joystick, Hotas, keyboard, whatever ) will help to introduce Flight Simming to folks who may not otherwise give it a try, do it. I'd think a mouse control player who develops an interest would soon get a joystick, then maybe rudder pedals and TIR.

• Upvote 2