saving my aircraft settings

mtvexl

Hi Very new to this game and I'm having trouble with keeping my settings. I go to options and go through choosing my joystick settings etc and when I come to play again I had to reset the settings again.  I tried the 'save as' and saved the settings to an external file (?) and then tried to load the settings I had saved after reloading the game but got nothing so had to reset again.

The other thing is I set a key for the 'external view follow' option but found that it didn't stay locked to that view and the aircraft would kind of slew around a bit if you see what I mean and it gave me a false sense of how I was performing.  Hard to describe really.

I really am just feeling my way here and feel a little out of my depth with the reality of it....man.

anyway if anyne can help I'd be grateful and so would this 5 year old boy I've introduced it to.

Thanks Michael 

Na-zdorovie

strange, should just stay as you put them, you do obv press accept after the change?

mtvexl
15 hours ago, Na-zdorovie said:

strange, should just stay as you put them, you do obv press accept after the change?

Hi Thanks for the reply.  Came across your reply by mistake.  Is there a way to be notified by email if someone replies to ones post.

Anyway what I do is fire up the game then o to Options---Controls----Axes (lets say)  click on aileron (lets say) double click/change on the box move my joystick appropriately which comes up with the joystick name and axis ---click ok then go on to the other axes and assign them,  then click apply (is that accept?).  I've also tried the save as and load but no cigar.  Do I have to click save somewhere on exiting the game

It's quite laborious assigning them every time you enter the game and sometimes you forget to enter something which is a pain

9./JG52_J-HAT
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, mtvexl said:

Hi Thanks for the reply.  Came across your reply by mistake.  Is there a way to be notified by email if someone replies to ones post.

Anyway what I do is fire up the game then o to Options---Controls----Axes (lets say)  click on aileron (lets say) double click/change on the box move my joystick appropriately which comes up with the joystick name and axis ---click ok then go on to the other axes and assign them,  then click apply (is that accept?).  I've also tried the save as and load but no cigar.  Do I have to click save somewhere on exiting the game

It's quite laborious assigning them every time you enter the game and sometimes you forget to enter something which is a pain

Are you talking about Cliffs of Dover Blitz by any chance? BoS doesn‘t have a save options for controls and the path you described is what the menus are called in Cliffs of Dover.

If so, first thing to do is go to Steam, right click the game in your library, select properties and uncheck Steam Cloud (disable it).

This should really do it with the settings being deleted (or overwritten by default through Steam Cloud, really).

Then go into your game and bind a few obvious things, click save then apply or ok or whatever confirm is called - sorry can’t remember (no need to save as at this point though), exit the game, restart it and check if the settings are still there.

They should be. Now proceed with the rest.

When you are done, save it again (so it overwrites the Default control scheme) and hit ok like above. Test it, then restart the game and see if everything is still there. It still should be.

Now you can (but isn‘t really needed) „save as“ to make a back up or as different control schemes for different aircraft if you don‘t have enough keys (each control scheme as a file with a name e.g. 109, ju88, Spitfire etc that you can load when flying that specific aircraft).

Edited by 9./JG52_J-HAT
  • Upvote 2
mtvexl

Hi I've been really busy lately so haven't had a chance to look at the posts.  I thought I was in the COD forum so it didn't occur to me that it wasn't, so apologies all round for the late reply and the lack of information.

I have done all you suggested and it looks like it's working fine which is great.  Thanks.  However if I turn the pc off and turn on without the joystick plugged in and plug it in afterwards it's a different story.  Anyway I've tried several avenues but I think it will be ok, as long as I know I can get around it i'm absolutely fine Being informed is everything.

I have to say I haven't progressed on to the save as  bit yet -I did try it before but that was then- I'll leave that to another time.

Would you know how to get email notifications of replies so that I can reply promptly avoiding the seeming rudeness?

Thanks again to all

Michael

9./JG52_J-HAT
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mtvexl said:

Hi I've been really busy lately so haven't had a chance to look at the posts.  I thought I was in the COD forum so it didn't occur to me that it wasn't, so apologies all round for the late reply and the lack of information.

I have done all you suggested and it looks like it's working fine which is great.  Thanks.  However if I turn the pc off and turn on without the joystick plugged in and plug it in afterwards it's a different story.  Anyway I've tried several avenues but I think it will be ok, as long as I know I can get around it i'm absolutely fine Being informed is everything.

I have to say I haven't progressed on to the save as  bit yet -I did try it before but that was then- I'll leave that to another time.

Would you know how to get email notifications of replies so that I can reply promptly avoiding the seeming rudeness?

Thanks again to all

Michael

Although I’ve never used it, there is a follow option in the right upper corner of each thread. From what I saw you can set it so you get email notifications from the threads you follow.

What I use is the forum notification that when you get @mtvexl or quoted it shows as a notification way up there on the page.

Back to your problem, it is a known problem with windows that it may change your device ID when a device is unplugged / plugged like you are describing. AFAIK the easiest solution so it doesn’t happen from this point on is not to unplug it and also disable energy saving for the device (in Device Manager).

But to correct what you already had now or in the future, without having to rebind everything, you need to replace the IDs in the control file (usually control.ini in My Documents/1C Softclub/Cliffs of Dover or whatever you called it with save as) with the new ID.

Bind an obvious key or axis save etc. then open the control.ini file and check what the new ID is. Copy and replace the old one with that. The old ID should be pretty obvious from all your previous bindings.

Look here: 

Edited by 9./JG52_J-HAT
mtvexl

Crikoids that's going to take me a while to get through and will come bit by bit through experience and revision from your email I am sure. Thanks for the extra info, there is indeed a section when you click on your user name in the top right hand corner where you can alter the settings so now I won't appear rude, great.  Next stop is youtube and tutorials.  Your help has been invaluable.  Edward will be pleased as I have refused to load the game where I have to spend ages reassigning the joystick and keyboard and him getting impatient.

Thnks again Michael