Help needed with bombsight and crosswind and switching from view mode to manual bombing mode

seille

Ok, new to IL2. But i read a lot and watched lots of videos. I´m pretty sure i understood how to put in all the infos

in bombsight mode. My problem is when i lined up my bombsight with the target (bridge for example) in view mode

and switch then to manual mode for finetuning and dropping the bombs i have often something like a side drift.

Means i lost the target. It is not longer centered. It´s often so far right or left that i can´t get the crosshair over the target again

before it´s time to drop the bombs.

I have to say that in that case i have always crosswind. It seems the view mode is not incorporating the wind and is always wrong

the way i use it when i have crosswind.

Now my question. What can i do to make view mode and manual mode showing the same?

In earlier bombing guides the view angle (left/right) in bombsight is not available. Must be newer. In game tips for bombsight do not explain it.

Can i correct the side wind here ? Or do i just have to injcorporate the wind myself in view mode and aim to the right when wind comes from right side

before switching to manual bomb mode?

I hope you guy´s understood my problem. Not that easy to describe in english.

Maybe there is a very easy solution and the bombing experts here can throw it at me.

ps. Plane in question is the He 111 H-6

ITAF_Airone1989

I do in this way:

- Auto: I use this during the approach, it will adjust the cross every time you change some speed/course value... 

When I'm sure I'm aligned correctly and the target it's pretty close, I switch to the fixed one and I do the drop manually..

IL2Battle

I'm not a expert, but if I understand you right, you have put all the aiming data in view mode. In view mode you can search target and move your view/aiming manually, but it doesn't get your data automatically. Use auto mode, when set all the data. Auto mode take your given data and move the crosshair with them. You can notice, that side slider move to correct side (slider which you use to look/aim right and left). Manual mode take same data as auto mode have.

If you want to use view mode to line up, use first auto mode to give all the data and wait as it set up. Note the side slider position ! Now change to view mode and use slider to correct your aim to identical as it be with auto mode (side slider in same position). You can change between auto and view mode to see, that they are identical.

When you close the target, change back to auto mode and check that you are line up correctly. Now when getting even closer, you can change to manual mode to bomb, if not wanting to bomb with auto mode.

What happen to you, being that when you change from view mode to auto or manual mode, it starting to set up. They not been ready yet, as you haven't use or give them time to set up. That why your crosshair starting to drift, it takes the data you have give.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Remontti

In german bombers I use auto setting for approaching target and it will take wind drift in account. You need to insert speed, altitude and wind data in the bomb sight. In auto mode the crosshair usually slowly drifes away from target so adjust that constantly and you will have pretty good approach.

For releasing bombs I don't use auto drop but switch to manual mode when close to target and drop manually.

For allied I thknk you just need adjust your course manually to compensate drift. If possible approach with wind blowing from 0 or 180 degrees to avoid the last second panic corrections.

seille

Many thanks guys. I think IL2Battle is right and i put in the data in view mode. Already thought this could be a problem, but then i said to myself it should not matter in which mode i put in the data as long as they are correct. Obviously it is a problem. I'll follow your suggestions and put in the data in auto mode and use this mode to line up with the target. Then switch to manual mode for drop.

seille

Just wanted to report back that putting in the data in Auto Mode solved my problems. Thank you again. Now i can finally enjoy my flights in the He-111.