Vive Pro 2 Specs: 5K 120Hz LCD, New 120° Lenses, SteamVR Tracking ($799 headset only, $1399 full kit)

chiliwili69
3 minutes ago, dburne said:

I suspect like the Reverb G2, the Vive Pro 2 will require some work to get it tuned to one's preferences.

I will do a second trial tomorrow, but currently I think that it was more dificult to decide between Index and G2. With the Index and VP2 so far the decission will be easier.

Please, just try the Index in IL-2 with 150 or 160%SS in SteamVR, you have the top GPU.

dburne
8 minutes ago, chiliwili69 said:

I will do a second trial tomorrow, but currently I think that it was more dificult to decide between Index and G2. With the Index and VP2 so far the decission will be easier.

Please, just try the Index in IL-2 with 150 or 160%SS in SteamVR, you have the top GPU.

I did, Reverb G2 clarity in cockpit was just so much better for me.

Jade_Monkey
Posted (edited)

Just got mine. This is a very early impression with barely 10 mins in IL2: NOT IMPRESSED

• Good resolution as expected, the screen door effect is mostly gone, which was a big issue I had with the Index.
  • Some reviews said colors are "vivid". I'd say they are oversaturated, almost with a dark grey tint. Looks darker than Index.
  • God rays: I didnt notice much, I'll report back on this.
    • Update: glaring is kind of bad, on par or a tiny bit worse than the Index. White text on black background (Il2 logo) makes this pretty obvious.
  • Audio is pretty bad compared to Index. Bass is poor. Easy to access volume controls are nice though.
  • It's very hard to find the sweet spot for me, it has to be exactly in the right spot or it's immediately blurry.  I expected better based on reviews.
  • The headset is comfortable overall, but I feel like its a bit loose and you cant properly tighten it to stay in place.
  • The headset cable is thinner than the index. It helps a lot with reducing the weight and the strain for the neck, more comfortable.
  • Without any strict measurements, FOV seems on par with Index, or just barely better. Tested with 6mm Kiwi pad.

There is something wrong with IL2 and the VP2, which Fenris_Wolf already reported. There is a slight deformation of the image. I hope devs fix that soon.

There is a lot less aliasing even without tweaking the SS settings, you can really appreciate the 4K cockpits without using zoom.

I will quickly test "other" sims and see if it fares better.

I'm a bit disappointed.

Edit: updates in blue

Edited by Jade_Monkey
ICDP
Posted (edited)

Thank you for posting your intial impressions but to be fair I would suggest 10 minutes is not enough to make any kind of informed decisions.  Especially if you used a sim that is known to have issues.  As you rightfully said it will be worth trying some other games and maybe even using a thinner face foam to see if it helps with the sweetspot?

The brief time I tried the Index I didn't think the audio was as great as people make out, as I found it had too much bass.  MRTVs comparison of the audio between the VP2 and Index is a perfect example and I felt the VP2 sounded clearer and more balanced.  It matched my memory of the VIve audio during my admittedly brief trial.  Though more crucially for me is the off the ear aspect being a problem.  I could hear the whine of the lighthouses using the off ear headphones even over the game sounds.  Also I have other people at home and it is unfair and annoying that they have to put up with the sounds of me gaming in VR.  Escpecially if the only time I can get to play is when my 8 year old son is sleeping.

I do look forward to your more in depth update.  Good luck.

Edited by ICDP
dburne
Posted (edited)

Well mine will be arriving tomorrow sometime.

I intend though to get several hours in it before commenting much about it.

I am sure like with my Reverb G2 I will need to get into the weeds with it and spend time tweaking and tuning to get it to the best it can be for me.

Based on all I have read so far, I do not have high expectations for it.,

If it can provide me with an experience very close to my Reverb G2, then I will likely keep it and then use it for both flight sims and VR games that I use Index for. That would be my hope anyway.

If not I will see about a return. Not sure what the return policy with HTC might be.

As far as audio that will not be an issue for me as I prefer my earbuds plugged into my Creative sound jack.

I am sure tracking will be great with the Lighthouse 2.0 system I already have with Index.

FOV from what I have read will be acceptable, certainly should be slightly better than Reverb G2.

So what it will come down to for me is overall image clarity and sweet spot.

And how annoying the Vive software might be. And how it handles motion reprojection.

These items will be the key for me. Why in the world they did not just stick with using only Steam VR is beyond me.

Edited by dburne
Jade_Monkey
2 hours ago, ICDP said:

Thank you for posting your intial impressions but to be fair I would suggest 10 minutes is not enough to make any kind of informed decisions.  Especially if you used a sim that is known to have issues.  As you rightfully said it will be worth trying some other games and maybe even using a thinner face foam to see if it helps with the sweetspot?

Im not using the IL2 issues against the headset, those were known to me before I tried it. Ive tested DCS and VTOL VR as well, nothing I said before has change.

I do have a thinner pad from kiwi i just tried. It is meant to help with FOV and maybe comfort, does not affect the headsets sweetspot for sharpness.

ICDP
6 hours ago, Jade_Monkey said:

Im not using the IL2 issues against the headset, those were known to me before I tried it. Ive tested DCS and VTOL VR as well, nothing I said before has change.

I do have a thinner pad from kiwi i just tried. It is meant to help with FOV and maybe comfort, does not affect the headsets sweetspot for sharpness.

If you were OK with glare on the Index I'm sure you can get used to it.  So the main negatives you have are sweet spot and colours being too saturated?  Obviously the clarity compared to index is not going to be close.  So overall your are slightly disappointed but it is worth stressing that slightly disappointed doesn't equal bad.  That could be because you were expecting to be blown away by the upgrade?  It sound like you are mostly positive in comparison to the index.

Higher resolution

Similar FoV

Better blacks

Colours over saturated

Similar horrible glare (this was why I didn't consider an Index after testing).

Worse audio

So this is mostly in line with what people who have tested both are saying.  It's the same with the G2 in that win some lose some.  I expect even less positives coming from a perfectly working Pimax 8KX but if it is more lore less in the ballpark it will let me move away from Pimax and their horrible business practices.  So it's mainly about managing expectations because I know the VP2 has poor glare and god rays (my biggest worry), OKish audio and very good screens and decent FoV (my 2nd important thin in a HMD after clarity).

chiliwili69
9 hours ago, Jade_Monkey said:

The headset cable is thinner than the index. It helps a lot with reducing the weight and the strain for the neck, more comfortable

I have just measured that with a vernier caliper and the diameters of the cables are 5.7mm for VP2 and 6.2mm for Index. So yes, it is a little bit thinner but for me it didn´t make any difference.

SCG_Fenris_Wolf
13 hours ago, dburne said:

I had forgot how gorgeous this sim was in the Reverb G2.

My performance is still quite good as well.

VP2 going to have a tough time beating this - will see soon enough.

It won't beat it, as I said in the review as well, it's 95% of the G2 at best. 

If you expect a visual upgrade from the G2 you'll be having an average/bad time. G2 has best crisp visuals, even if the edge-to-edge clarity is less. The VP2 makes sense as a sidegrade/alternative if you want the superior Lighthouse tracking, a larger FOV, and larger edge-to-edge clarity. It's about having one system instead of two.

Better compare it to the greyish low-res Index, that's the one you'll be replacing after all. 

10 hours ago, Jade_Monkey said:
  • Audio is pretty bad compared to Index. Bass is poor. Easy to access volume controls are nice though.

I use Boom3D, which I bought in the past due to the 8KX's SMAS torturing my ears :) 

You can see in my review in which I measured the audio output, that the bass by default is too silent and needs manual adjustment.

• It's very hard to find the sweet spot for me, it has to be exactly in the right spot or it's immediately blurry.  I expected better based on reviews.
  • The headset is comfortable overall, but I feel like its a bit loose and you cant properly tighten it to stay in place.

Seems like these two parts are one issue: The headset is not fitting your face properly. You need to find a fitting in which it does not move around, then you remain in the sweetspot. The reviews all said the sweetspot is small, mine included, so you need to stay in there. A loose fit of the headset will not let you stay in there.;)

dburne

Well looks like I will be receiving the VP2 sometime today according to Fed Ex..

It is now not too far from my home.

Have to convince the wife to be on alert for the doorbell to ring - signature is required and I have a round of golf scheduled today.

• Upvote 1
SCG_redcloud111

Update: Blacks and colors in Elite Dangerous look much better than Pimax 5k+. Great fps at 120ghz with reprojection. Still very happy with it. 

dburne
24 minutes ago, SCG_redcloud111 said:

Update: Blacks and colors in Elite Dangerous look much better than Pimax 5k+. Great fps at 120ghz with reprojection. Still very happy with it. 

Yeah I have heard blacks are really good in this new headset. Just got back from golf still waiting on mine to arrive.

Edit:

Some interesting info on Vive Pro 2 from HTC:

https://babeltechreviews.com/the-rtx-3070-ti-launch-review-featuring-the-vive-pro-2/5/?amp=1

“Motion Compensation is the same as Motion Smoothing. The new lens and display requires our own motion compensation, and VIVE Console is the software that is driving the displays, so motion compensation is built into that. 

For VIVE Pro 2, we set Steam’s supersampling setting as 150% by default, which makes up for the lens distortion. We found this to be the best value for SteamVR’s automatic performance scaling to scale and still reach 90 or 120 Hz on the majority of PCs we expect to be used to run VIVE Pro 2. However, users can still go into SteamVR to manually adjust their supersampling settings.

If we had set it to 100%, a lot of PCs would struggle under automatic settings.  Render resolution is set by SteamVR and automatically scales to what it thinks is best for your system, VIVE Console handles display resolution.

Edited by dburne
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
SCG_Fenris_Wolf

So I was right.. hah! Of course :p 

Anyway, after further use, the glare does not disturb me anymore - it's almost nowhere in games. There's certainly none in IL-2 itself.

It's only in the SteamVR Home with its active wallpapers, the dashboard and the menus. I don't care in that regard.

I added some paddings to the sides as well to stabilise the gasket, so it doesn't wobble - I have a western head as well (read: not a broad bowl). Now I'm staying in the sweetspot.

Played around with Boom3D for the audio and got good results by enabling 3D Surround at "max intensity" with bass at 4/5th of the slider (it raises gain up to around 200Hz and lets it fall off around 300Hz I believe). 

Of course, it can't compete with my Sennheisers.. nothing mounted on any headset ever could. But I have notice that the Sennheisers actually fit beneath the Pro2! So I might just take out the speakers and use my audiophile headphones!! :good:

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
dburne

This is nuts. This morning early Fed EX showed my headset had arrived in a town just about 20 miles from here.

Just checked again this afternoon and it shows it arrived there at 1:45 PM today. It showed there early this morning.

Tracking still shows delivery will be today, but does not show it has left that town. 

SCG_redcloud111
13 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

It's only in the SteamVR Home with its active wallpapers, the dashboard and the menus. I don't care in that regard.

Yes. This is a critical point. I only notice glare in menus and not in game. 

SCG_Fenris_Wolf
4 minutes ago, dburne said:

This is nuts. This morning early Fed EX showed my headset had arrived in a town just about 20 miles from here.

Just checked again this afternoon and it shows it arrived there at 1:45 PM today. It showed there early this morning.

Tracking still shows delivery will be today, but does not show it has left that town. 

Oh dear Lord of flies I hope you get yours soon. That's somewhat worrisome

mattswe

So, after about two hours use with the Vive Pro 2, here is my first impressions (coming from Vive Pro)

- I felt at home at once, no question it is a HTC Vive headset (Ive had the original Vive and then the Pro). 

- No noticable screen door effect, nice resolution. 

- FOV, noticably better than the VP1. I still have the original padding on, but didnt experience any funky "mail box syndrom". For me the fov is really nice both horizontally and vertically (using glasses, IPD 67). 

- Sweet-spot; Similiar to the VP1. I have no problem finding it when putting the headset on. 

- Glare and godrays; About as bad as in the VP1. Though, like others have said in this thread, only really distracting in menus, not ingame.

- Like with the VP1, it gets hot in there, summertime its easy to get fog on the glasses. 

- Maybe not the big wow factor, coming from VP1, but definitly a nice upgrade and a keep. (theBlu gave me some wow)

- It´s too expensive, but I already hade the base stations and the index knuckles, so what can I do? 

Edited by mattswe
  • Like 2
dburne

Well not looking like I will be able to provide any feedback today. I am really not sure I will even get it today.

Fed Ex still says delivery by end of the day, but tracking still shows it in a town about 20 miles away with no movement since arriving there.

It has been there most of the day.

So who knows.  Getting to late to be able to do much with it anyway.

• Sad 1
SCG_Fenris_Wolf

@mattswe Saw you only used "High" settings in the VC. You're missing out on resolution this way.

@dburne That's spooky. I've updated my stickied thread with settings, but IL-2 is still bugged. I might write a short Vive Pro 2 Guide for IL-2 as well though, it is usable but looks weird at the moment. There are quite a few people having troubles setting theirs up properly. And yeah, don't use the stock foam!! :)) 

• Upvote 1
dburne
7 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

@mattswe Saw you only used "High" settings in the VC. You're missing out on resolution this way.

@dburne That's spooky. I've updated my stickied thread with settings, but IL-2 is still bugged. I might write a short Vive Pro 2 Guide for IL-2 as well though, it is usable but looks weird at the moment. There are quite a few people having troubles setting theirs up properly. And yeah, don't use the stock foam!! :)) 

Yep got my Kiwi pads sitting here on desk just waiting on this d^%$ headset to arrive!

• Haha 1
mattswe
30 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

I'm currently running a Gtx1080, so the higher presets are disabled. And it's not so easy to get hold of a gpu upgrade right now. 

Regarding thinner padding, I'm waiting for delivery. 

dburne

At this point I am just hoping they have not lost it.

Tracking still shows it never left that town, but scheduled delivery still showing today.

Don't see it happening.

ICDP

Just been on to HTC via chat asking why Vive Pro 2 HMDs are being sold by retailers yet HTC have not honoured their pre-orders yet.  Got some wishy washy nonsense and was told they can get me an update in 3-5 days as to the progress of my order.  It reminded me of dealing with Pimax and their lies.

Just cancelled and will pick one up from a retailer if I get the urge in the future.  Would feel better doing a DSR with Amazon than with HTC.

dburne

Just checked tracking this morning, and now it is showing it is on Fed Ex vehicle for delivery. So maybe I 

will in fact get it today. Day 4 of my 2 day Fed Ex delivery.

• Upvote 1
30speed
16 hours ago, mattswe said:

So, after about two hours use with the Vive Pro 2, here is my first impressions (coming from Vive Pro)

- I felt at home at once, no question it is a HTC Vive headset (Ive had the original Vive and then the Pro). 

- No noticable screen door effect, nice resolution. 

- FOV, noticably better than the VP1. I still have the original padding on, but didnt experience any funky "mail box syndrom". For me the fov is really nice both horizontally and vertically (using glasses, IPD 67). 

- Sweet-spot; Similiar to the VP1. I have no problem finding it when putting the headset on. 

- Glare and godrays; About as bad as in the VP1. Though, like others have said in this thread, only really distracting in menus, not ingame.

- Like with the VP1, it gets hot in there, summertime its easy to get fog on the glasses. 

- Maybe not the big wow factor, coming from VP1, but definitly a nice upgrade and a keep. (theBlu gave me some wow)

- It´s too expensive, but I already hade the base stations and the index knuckles, so what can I do? 

I share similar impressions, however I'm coming from VP1 --> G2 --> VP2.

After reading a bunch of reviews about glare/god rays I was pleasantly surprised when non them are visible while in game. Well, technically they are there and can be seen around lit up objects in dark space, i.e. the Moon during the night time looks a bit 'soft' around its edges. But in the day-time it's invisible.

IL2 definitely needs fixing in VP2 department, like @SCG_Fenris_Wolf already mentioned. It's playable, however it feels like it's been horizontally stretched out, i.e. if you take a movie  with16:9 aspect ratio and play it on a 16:10 full screen, or stretched a 4:3 movie on to a 16:9 screen, one of those. I had to reset the internal IL2 IPD adjustments (shift+Enter;Shift+Num+) to 0 degrees in order to make it playable (I had +16 degrees set for G2 to get the 'large' scale feeling). The SteamVR scaling feature can't solve the IL2 issues, at least for me.

But even in its current state I still enjoyed the IL2 last night simply because of the increased FoV (!). With G2 I stopped playing MP due to massive blur when trying to check my 6. With VP2 I'm back in business, larger FoV + end-to-end lens clarity = MP win.

The sucker does get hot though. I have a floor fan blowing in to my face and it does provide some relief.

Edit:  the HTC motion smoothing needs work, it's not as smooth as SteamVR's, at least not on my 5900+2080TI.  In IL2 it's not too bad, but in DCS it produces a lot more artifacts compared to either SteamVR or WMR's motionvector (G2).

Edited by 30speed
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
HunDread
16 hours ago, dburne said:

Well not looking like I will be able to provide any feedback today. I am really not sure I will even get it today.

Fed Ex still says delivery by end of the day, but tracking still shows it in a town about 20 miles away with no movement since arriving there.

It has been there most of the day.

Just ask the guy who is funning with it in the storage facility to throw up a review here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
dburne
7 minutes ago, HunDread said:

Just ask the guy who is funning with it in the storage facility to throw up a review here.

LOL yeah right.

chiliwili69

After doing my mods with foam pad and kept the VP2 well with my head,  I have been playing exactly the same QMB (3x3 in Kuban spring Novorosick, 3x3 in Lapino Winter) several times for 1 hour with VP2 and then the same with Index.

I used Ultra setting 2448x2448 at 90Hz in Vive Console and manual SS 110%SteamVR giving 3200x3200 per eye.

With the Index I used SteamVR SS at 150% and 80Hz mode which is 2470x2742 per eye.

The sharpness of the planes and building are great with the VP2. That is noticeable. Also there is no screen-door which is a nice thing.

But my 3080 card is struggling to keep the 90 fps (even with no clouds) and many times it is in 45fps, which is something almost never happen with the Index.

I tried the motion compensation and it is really crap, not useable.

When I tried the Index again, I quickly notice like a higher level of presence in the plane , perhaps the VFOV counts, and more clarity in general (no sharper objects), but more pixelated objects and edges. But overall the balance it towards the Index. Decission process will take more time and testing.

Why the hell the VP2 has not an 80Hz mode!  ggrr!!

80Hz vs 90Hz might be seen as a small difference, but frequently it is the difference of entering in reprojection or not.

• Thanks 1
ICDP

This is where 8KX 60Hz mode really helps.  Getting 75 FPS with reasonable graphical setting is low in IL2 but 60Hz is more than fine and you don't have to use any motion compensation at all.

I plan to order a VP2 off Amazon to try if I like it then use DSR if I don't.  I cancelled the pre-order from HTC as I felt they are taking the piss with taking peoples money and not sending them, despite sending units to retailers.  I don't care about losing the £60 discount because if you are buying a luxury item like this and £60 is make ore break then you need to look at your priorities.

Edited by ICDP
dburne

Well finally after Fed Ex taking 4 days with supposed 2 day shipping, my Vive Pro 2 has arrived.

Much to do so may be a while before I can offer some first impressions.

I guess I will take Fenris advice and do a complete wipe of WMR and Steam VR so I know I am starting fresh with it.

All I can say is after all this , it better be able to replace my Reverb G2 and Index.

• Like 1
30speed
17 minutes ago, dburne said:

it better be able to replace my Reverb G2

definitely interested in your opinion of the motion smoothing comparison between steamVR and the HTC in DCS with your 3090 (since IL2 is a bit borked with VP2)

dburne
58 minutes ago, 30speed said:

definitely interested in your opinion of the motion smoothing comparison between steamVR and the HTC in DCS with your 3090 (since IL2 is a bit borked with VP2)

Will do, may be a bit though. That is what I am most interested in as well. It will have to be decent to work for me.

Ok software is installed, clean install of Steam VR, Index controllers paired and green light all around.

Going to start out at Ultra with 90 Hz.

Steam VR is defaulting to 150% ( 3900x3900 per eye). Lol I think that may be a bit much.

Edited by dburne
  • Upvote 1
dburne

OK so did a quick down and dirty one versus one quick mission in the Spit.

First thing I had to do was adjust the game ipd settings, my plane was very small. That setting had set itself to the extreme. Got that adjusted to what looks about right.

Did the one versus one, took care of the bandit flew around just a bit and landed.

Right now with just this short of time in it -  impressive! Loving the horizontal fov as well.

Now going to do some ipd adjusting, headset adjusting, try some Kiwi pads, etc. 

I can only say so far, that Spit Mk IX cockpit was gorgeous. Clarity was fantastic. Colors look awesome too. I will also need to try some heavier scenarios and see how Motion Compensation does in them. I have it on and it handled the 1 vs 1 just fine.

Also - I just love the smell of new electronics.

;)

dburne

Another initial observation, if one cannot maintain motion compensation of 45 fps then it will start to look pretty rough with the artifacts.

I hope Vive maybe can improve on their Motion Compensation some, they need to talk to Steam VR on this.

I am convinced this will easily replace my Index headset for made for VR games, only question remaining is will it also replace my Reverb G2.

I am somewhat hopeful but will need much more testing in different scenarios tomorrow.

Like the Index, the VP2 headset reeks of quality.

30speed
25 minutes ago, dburne said:

Another initial observation, if one cannot maintain motion compensation of 45 fps then it will start to look pretty rough with the artifacts.

I hope Vive maybe can improve on their Motion Compensation some, they need to talk to Steam VR on this.

I am convinced this will easily replace my Index headset for made for VR games, only question remaining is will it also replace my Reverb G2.

I am somewhat hopeful but will need much more testing in different scenarios tomorrow.

Like the Index, the VP2 headset reeks of quality.

sounds like 3090 is pulling the HTC motion smoothing OK ?

Glad to hear you're enjoying the headset, it does elevate some things whilst bringing down the others.  The VP2. The Equalizer.

dburne

Just did a one on one quick mission increasing the res to 140%.  3772x3772 per eye.

Wow, stunning. It handled it ok but again, not a lot of activity.  One enemy aircraft and some ground targets. I was able to maintain the 45 fps.

Will get more in-depth and into the weeds with it tomorrow.

I think for now I have settled on the thicker Kiwi face pad for comfort mainly.

So far though I am still pretty impressed.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1
SCG_redcloud111

@dburne Yeah, my positivity is holding up after a weekend of going through all the major games I play. Across the board, I am consistently just playing, rather than thinking how I can improve the visuals or frame rates, which is something that has plagued me since I began VR with a laptop running a 1060 three years ago. I have also added a wire pulley system (again, thanks to the urging of @SCG_Fenris_Wolf) and, in terms of modding the headset itself, have only added a very thin VR cover, which I reinforced with a bit more cushion on the forehead. Now it provides the proper FOV, fits snug, and doesn’t hurt. My setup means that with standing games I actually find myself totally immersed. I completely restarted NMS because it so good, as well as HLAlyx. And for sims? I can honestly say that I can now even play MSFS 2020 and fly from Biggin Hill, over London, to London City with acceptable frames and enough visual clarity to make it worthwhile. BTW, that game will demonstrate how amazing VR is over the next few years’ hardware increases. I literally spent two hours flying over my boy-hood hometown spotting landmarks. Other sit down games like Squadrons and Elite Dangerous look spectacular with the increased resolution, as well as run smooth. And, again, blacks look good to me and glare not a problem (although in ED, glare is there in the cockpit if you look for it. I believe the brain will filter this out with time.) The one game I haven’t really tested other than to see what the cockpit looks like and what IDing is like (both much better than Pimax) is IL2. But I can see already the flickering is gone that always plagued my Pimax, and the resolution bump is worth it. 

Again, the only real requirement now for me to do room scale is to make sure my room is very cool because you will sweat!

SCG_motoadve

First tests I am liking it, looks  more alive then HP Reverb G1, unfortunately  IL2 looks a bit weird, hope developers fix it soon.

Performance is terrible though, how do I make it work at 45 FPS? Mine is at Ultra and my PC is not linking it at all.(System in my signature)