Yaw2 Kickstarter, Pitch 70º & Roll 60º for 1090$

chiliwili69

Varibraun
1 hour ago, SCG_motoadve said:

the Virpil joystick with extensions, dont want to have a side stick like an Aribus.

Completely agree with you on this center mount, I also have a Virpil (with Warthog grip) and extension.  This will be the first thing I will want to figure out since all of the videos show center controls on the "table."  If there isn't an easy solution based on the Yaw equipment, I am betting some of the Monster Tech mounts can be utilized.  I am using a Virpil throttle, but don't have all your other controls to contend with in VR.

Luckily for us a little further down the line, I am certain our Kickstarter crew will have all of this figured out for us and I can then apply my typical "monkey see monkey do" solution when mine arrives.

Charlo-VR
2 hours ago, SCG_motoadve said:

Interested, but I worry about setting my controllers, have too many, the Virpil joystick with extensions, dont want to have a side stick like an Aribus.

Also Vitalys trim wheel, wheels for radiators, oil, throttle rpms etc.

Looks like pedals will be easy to put , but all the wires dangling might be a problem.

Any of you with lots of controllers getting one?

You can see my four controllers in my signature below, and I watch carefully how other Kickstarter backers keep pressing for side and center mounts for flight sim controllers and an IL-2 profile upon launch.

I expect I’ll figure something out based on what I do now with my Next Level Racing Motion Platform, but that it will be easier since the Yaw 2 will have some side mount options. I am already excited to have my pedals mounted to the Yaw 2 platform, which I don’t have with my current Motion Platform.

Since I have a smallish room available to me, I already know I will be limiting yaw to probably only 90°, which also eliminates my concerns with my Reverb G2s wire. I think most users will find 360° yaw unnecessary for full immersion in VR.

20F48F55-6CF5-4C2C-8632-1D54F5D6591D.jpeg

D902C440-55F6-4B40-929C-40723D4FF13E.jpeg

EED0AA32-3B07-4FA0-B16D-4FADB4E6F0C4.jpeg

chiliwili69

My solution to fix the warthog joystick directly to the PlaySeat chair was very simple, it was done in 2014 and still working as a champ:

J2_Seya

Nice pic guys. I can't wait to see how we get this all setup. I run center stick warthog with no extension. I would love to get one. Hopefully we will have an easy way to get setup.

20210426_213517.jpg

chiliwili69
On 7/23/2021 at 9:51 PM, J2_Seya said:

I can't wait to see how we get this all setup

Do you play with monitor or VR?

BTW, what the Yaw2 will do when we will do a full 360 barrel or a 360 loop?

J2_Seya
19 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

Do you play with monitor or VR?

I play both. If I'm bombing or recon I'll use my monitor. Fighting I will go with VR.

Varibraun
On 7/27/2021 at 3:30 AM, chiliwili69 said:

I have been wondering about this also.  @Charlo-VR, how is your current platform handing passing through inverted?

Charlo-VR
3 hours ago, Varibraun said:

I have been wondering about this also.  @Charlo-VR, how is your current platform handing passing through inverted?

I happen to enjoy stunting inverted and doing barrel rolls in our game, and I can tell you that my motion platform, which is much more limited than the Yaw2 I pledged, rolls to its maximum limit (which is probably something like 10°), then adjusts to the other side to roll me back to center as I roll.

It's not nearly as intense as real aircraft aerobatics, of course, but I find it just enough to help with VR motion sickness. Last year I spent hours developing my VR comfort, then after I bought this motion platform and spend even more hours flying with a moving seat, I now find when the motion platform cuts out for a bit that I can get slightly disoriented again when the chair isn't moving. On a hot day of hours of aggressive MP dogfighting the chair sometimes needs to cool down - and that's when I especially notice how much my VR experience now also relies on chair movement.

How my current motion platform works is also how I expect the Yaw2 to act, only it will also have yaw motion - as much or as little yaw motion as I want or can fit in my office. A little motion goes a long way when in a VR headset, more so than in a motion simulator ride where you are looking at a monitor.

• Thanks 2

Varibraun
1 hour ago, Charlo-VR said:

rolls to its maximum limit (which is probably something like 10°), then adjusts to the other side to roll me back to center as I roll.

And the shift to the other direction still feels like naturally completing the roll or loop because of the VR effect tricking the brain?

Charlo-VR
Just now, Varibraun said:

And the shift to the other direction still feels like naturally completing the roll or loop because of the VR effect tricking the brain?

Yep, or at least reasonably so, though of course without the g-forces and pressure on my harness straps (which I wear when in quick-rolling planes like a FW-190 or La5).

• Like 1

Charlo-VR
16 hours ago, Varibraun said:

Update to what I posted earlier- was doing barrel rows in a P-38 last night and after rolling past 10° or so my motion platform reaches it’s limit and simply stops rolling, without switching to the other side. It only switches to the other side if I reverse my roll direction.

It still feels pretty realistic, though, and adds to a feeling of realism. The Yaw2 should offer even more degrees of roll.

• Thanks 1

Varibraun
2 hours ago, Charlo-VR said:

It still feels pretty realistic, though, and adds to a feeling of realism. The Yaw2 should offer even more degrees of roll.

Thank you Charlo - I look forward to trying it out...even if next year!

• 1 month later...
chiliwili69

In the last kickstarter update they mentioned the final degrees:

When you use the simulator you can limit the motion ranges and set how much power you want to use. Here all limits were set to the maximum and the power was about 30%. We made sure that the pitch, roll and yaw motions are all visible, so visually you can see how much it actually moves. This test run was done using the 3rd prototype but these numbers won’t change significantly in the final version. So as you can see it rotates 360 degrees, the forward tilt is 17 degrees and the backward tilt is 55 degrees. The left and right motion is symmetrical, it can go approximately 20 degrees in both directions. 

https://v.kickstarter.com/1630831040_29cb4008be5f9319ed83951c8fc3d719fe1c8ba8/assets/034/708/246/90f95ee97cc32ac166da604403a6e8a5_h264_high.mp4

They also said that they will be in the Flight Sim Expo 24-26 Sept in San Diego!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

though this platforms looks pretty darn impressive I am seriously interested in the longevity of it.

The butt-kicker or any other low fq transducers introduce quite a powerful constant vibration to the setup. My VKB joystick is already showing signs of wear in some of its hat buttons where they occassionaly turn on/off by themselves. The USB interconnects between the seat and the stationary platform will probably be the first ones to go and you end up with a noddle factory hanging over the whole set up.

My point is that this kind of a setup must go through a rigorous mechanical stress testing for ALL of its components, more so electronics.

chiliwili69

I am afraid the stress tests will be the backers of the project...:unsure:

Although I am not following the Yaw2 forum, they didn´t talk about stress tests in any of the updates.

But you are right, butt-kickers and similar devices could affect to the longevity of the Yaw2. I hope we could have spare parts if some of them is failing.

In my case I have just the JetPad simshaker, since it is between my body and the foam of the seat, I hope the vibration will be dumped enough to not affect any Yaw2 device or HOTAS.

• Upvote 1

Charlo-VR

Yep, as a Yaw2 Kickstarter backer I will be stress testing it as soon as I receive it - but I probably won’t use my Buttkicker, as I, too, prefer my JetPad. 

Once I receive the Yaw2 (December or January maybe 🤔) I’ll be comparing the experience flying it to my current Next Level Racing Motion Platform v3, since my office can not practically fit both of those for very long. So, I’ll be deciding which I prefer to keep pretty quickly.

Then I’ll hope the seat I keep lasts a long time - it helps that both  are also target to off road racing games, which seem to be much more demanding on the seats.

• Upvote 1

On 9/6/2021 at 12:03 AM, Charlo-VR said:

I’ll be comparing the experience flying it to my current Next Level Racing Motion Platform v3

I actually have the same NLR v3.  How do you like it with IL2?

I've tried it out with DCS's telemetry 2-3 years back and it wasn't anything stellar, more confusing actually.

Charlo-VR
3 hours ago, 30speed said:

I actually have the same NLR v3.  How do you like it with IL2?

I've tried it out with DCS's telemetry 2-3 years back and it wasn't anything stellar, more confusing actually.

Oh, I like it very much, to the point that when it temporarily shuts down because it needs to cool off (I live in Los Angeles), I can get a tiny bit nauseous because the seat no longer moves as it cools down.

I have some useful posts in this thread, which you have probably already seen, where I also explain how Next Level Racing guided me in adding surge forward and backward telemetry to their default IL-2 profile.

Warning to others: reading the above thread may cause you to spend thousands of dollars on a large toy that is difficult to explain to a spouse! 😁

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1