Controlling P-47 “rocking” when aiming

I’ve been hunting through P-47 threads and guides but I’m not finding a reference to a particular challenge I’m having. Just recently started a Jug career. Feeling better about engine control after helpful hints from the various threads, but could use some advice on...maybe trim?

When I am at low altitude and attempting to strafe ground targets, I’ve noticed the aircraft has a nasty tendency to rock back and forth (left and right) fairly violently as I attempt to make small rudder and aileron corrections as I approach the target. I’ll hold the yoke really tightly (and I use Z axis for rudder/yaw) but as soon as I let up on my grip just a bit to make course corrections the plane yaws back and forth, making it really hard to be accurate with the guns. 

It happens to me too when engaging air targets, but it seems to be less of an issue in a dogfight when I’m using the ailerons to a much greater degree and have higher angles of attack. 

I’ve experimented with the rudder trim, but haven’t found a setting where this radical rocking goes away. Maybe I’m not getting the trim right based on the wind and direction of attack, but logically I feel like I’m doing what I should. So maybe it’s not trim at all?

Anyone else experience this and have any suggestions? 

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this. I keep seeing YouTube commentators talk about how stable of a weapons platform the P-47 is, so I must be doing something wrong. My jug is so hard to control, even in a straight line, with persistent shaking back and forth (yaw) with the slightest movements on the stick. Should I disable my joystick z-axis yaw control? I haven’t tried this yet but wondering if this would help. I don’t have the same trouble to this degree with other aircraft though. 

Anyone else have trouble with this? 

Entry-level rudder pedals will help.  I used to use twist-grip for rudder until I got a cheap set.  You'd be surprised how much extra input "bleed" goes into the elevator and ailerons no matter how well you coordinate the twist.

In the meantime, try adjust the controller curves and adding some center deadzone.  If you don't know where to find that, it should be a square with a wavy line through it all the way to the right of each axis binding line in the plane controls menu.   

If you're doing multiplayer, check to see if the mission description indicates if there is wind and/or turbulence active on the map.  That can rock you around pretty good no matter how well-tuned you have your controller curves.

Also bear in mind that the closer you get to stall speed, the more overall unstable the plane will become.   If you're having difficulty even in high-speed straight-line passes, this is probably not the issue. 

I hope this helps.   :)

• Like 1
On 4/22/2021 at 3:57 AM, RelentlessJPMoney said:

I’ll hold the yoke really tightly...

This may be part of the problem especially if you're holding the aircraft against what it wants to do.  When you relax it has the freedom to do it so it may lift the nose etc.

My suggestion - make sure you're in neutral trim then fly very smoothly in your attack patterns.

Also play with your control curves - put the elevator and rudder to at least 50% and try again.

Aside from that, what Mr BBQ says above.

von Tom

• Like 1
13 hours ago, 69th_Mobile_BBQ said:

Entry-level rudder pedals will help.  I used to use twist-grip for rudder until I got a cheap set.  You'd be surprised how much extra input "bleed" goes into the elevator and ailerons no matter how well you coordinate the twist.

In the meantime, try adjust the controller curves and adding some center deadzone.  If you don't know where to find that, it should be a square with a wavy line through it all the way to the right of each axis binding line in the plane controls menu.   

If you're doing multiplayer, check to see if the mission description indicates if there is wind and/or turbulence active on the map.  That can rock you around pretty good no matter how well-tuned you have your controller curves.

Also bear in mind that the closer you get to stall speed, the more overall unstable the plane will become.   If you're having difficulty even in high-speed straight-line passes, this is probably not the issue. 

I hope this helps.   :)

7 hours ago, von_Tom said:

This may be part of the problem especially if you're holding the aircraft against what it wants to do.  When you relax it has the freedom to do it so it may lift the nose etc.

My suggestion - make sure you're in neutral trim then fly very smoothly in your attack patterns.

Also play with your control curves - put the elevator and rudder to at least 50% and try again.

Aside from that, what Mr BBQ says above.

von Tom

Thanks BBQ and von Tom. I will give the curves a try. Haven’t done that yet. I’ve trimmed every which way possible, and I do pay attention to the wind speed and direction. We’ll see if the curves are able to help. 

Appreciate it!