Initial Russian Gun Truck Thoughts - Top 10

Shampoo_Actual

Only day one but here's what I can say so far.

1.) It's fun!!

2.) I've only used it on Quick Missions that are already loaded for it and it seems to be against ground targets only.  Trying to find a campaign or something to go against air targets next.

3.) ROF is slow but you can definitely knock a plane down with it provided it's low enough and you have the correct lead

4.) The vehicle modeling is excellent and the crew modeling is the best yet.

5.) I got it up to 51 km/h on a road, it handles well but about as fast as a Panther on road.  Off road speed is pretty slow as one would expect about 20km/h.

6.) On board ammunition is a little light.  I quickly ran out of ammo on all missions very early.  Need to look into that further.

7.) The gun sight works better if you use the LWin+C function to "open the visor" - basically open the gunsight protective armor door.

8.) It's not on the Finnish Server yet so might want to wait to buy until that happens.  But it is available on Advance & Secure

9.) Friendly ID of Air targets is going to be very challenging.  I predict lots of friendly fire.

10.) It's easy to jackknife and roll.  I suggest driving from the drivers position not the commanders seat.

Add your experiences here.

• Thanks 2
Zeev

You have 5 single player mission. Look for AAA folder.

Thanks for the tip for the aiming.

Shampoo_Actual

Thanks Zeev.  I tried the missions and man hitting planes is tough.  There should be a tutorial on it.

LukeFF
3 hours ago, Shampoo_Actual said:

I've only used it on Quick Missions that are already loaded for it and it seems to be against ground targets only.  Trying to find a campaign or something to go against air targets next.

Besides what @Zeev wrote, there is also a new Quick Mission type for shooting at aerial targets.

42 minutes ago, Shampoo_Actual said:

There should be a tutorial on it.

As Jason wrote in the main update topic, Requiem and I are working on one.

Edited by LukeFF
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Upvote 1
LachenKrieg
5 hours ago, Shampoo_Actual said:

1.) It's fun!!

2.) I've only used it on Quick Missions that are already loaded for it and it seems to be against ground targets only.  Trying to find a campaign or something to go against air targets next.

3.) ROF is slow but you can definitely knock a plane down with it provided it's low enough and you have the correct lead

5.) I got it up to 51 km/h on a road, it handles well but about as fast as a Panther on road.  Off road speed is pretty slow as one would expect about 20km/h.

6.) On board ammunition is a little light.  I quickly ran out of ammo on all missions very early.  Need to look into that further.

7.) The gun sight works better if you use the LWin+C function to "open the visor" - basically open the gunsight protective armor door.

8.) It's not on the Finnish Server yet so might want to wait to buy until that happens.  But it is available on Advance & Secure

9.) Friendly ID of Air targets is going to be very challenging.  I predict lots of friendly fire.

10.) It's easy to jackknife and roll.  I suggest driving from the drivers position not the commanders seat.

you got the fun part absolutely correct.

The ROF seems pretty spot on to me though.

The vehicle detail is really awesome.

The gun crew seem a little stiff, and could move around a bit more as the truck rocks back and forth over rough terrain, but the driver is really well animated at the wheel.

I find the steering to be a little too sensitive/quick. I can put the truck into a skid with what should be a normal turn rate.

The triple-A vehicles represent a whole new level of game play, and getting good at providing anti-air cover will be challenging, but should prove to be a lot of fun. I just hope the Dev's don't take too long with the German half-track, because we all know how important balanced game play is:hunter:

• Upvote 1
LachenKrieg
6 hours ago, Shampoo_Actual said:

1.) It's fun!!

Don't forget that in the QMB, you can select the planes you want to spawn into the quick mission. But the amount of ammo I think will be an issue. I wonder if this could motivate an enhancement to the resupply/repair mechanic?

• Upvote 1
SCG_FeuerFliegen
3 hours ago, LachenKrieg said:

Don't forget that in the QMB, you can select the planes you want to spawn into the quick mission. But the amount of ammo I think will be an issue. I wonder if this could motivate an enhancement to the resupply/repair mechanic?

There definitely needs to be a way to reload... all spawn points should definitely have have resupply, and there should be resupply trucks in various places.  Ideally I think you should be able to have an ai truck follow you with extra ammo; and you could order him to stay back a km or two, so he'd be safe.

• Upvote 1
SCG_FeuerFliegen
1 hour ago, moustache said:

just out of curiosity, is it effective against tanks?

I was able to completely destroy a Panzer III or IV by shooting it from either the side or rear with AP rounds.

The most I was able to do to a Panzer V (Panther) was knock off the removable side armor plates, and disable the tracks.

DD_Friar
11 hours ago, Shampoo_Actual said:

Buy it anyway to support the dev's. It is going to find its way into all sorts of missions. Get it Now!

We need to show them that we like this concept and give them the encouragement to build the German version. 

• Upvote 3
SCG_FeuerFliegen
1 hour ago, DD_Friar said:

Buy it anyway to support the dev's. It is going to find its way into all sorts of missions. Get it Now!

We need to show them that we like this concept and give them the encouragement to build the German version. 

I agree; that's one of the main reasons I purchased it today, as well as the Sd.Kfz. 10/5 Flak 38. 

Regardless, Finnish will have it very soon (after next mission rotation), and will be allowing both sides to use it (just like they do with the Ju-52) until the Sd.Kfz. 10/5 Flak 38 is released.

3 minutes ago, SCG_FeuerFliegen said:

and give them the encouragement to build the German version. 

The German Sd.Kfz. 10/5 Flak 38 is being made regardless; they've already been taking payment for pre-orders for a while now.  Either way we should give them the encouragement to build more vehicles of this type.  I'd love some more AA vehicles, especially late war 4+ barrel ones.

• Like 1
super-truite
1 hour ago, SCG_FeuerFliegen said:

I agree; that's one of the main reasons I purchased it today, as well as the Sd.Kfz. 10/5 Flak 38. 

Regardless, Finnish will have it very soon (after next mission rotation), and will be allowing both sides to use it (just like they do with the Ju-52) until the Sd.Kfz. 10/5 Flak 38 is released.

The German Sd.Kfz. 10/5 Flak 38 is being made regardless; they've already been taking payment for pre-orders for a while now.  Either way we should give them the encouragement to build more vehicles of this type.  I'd love some more AA vehicles, especially late war 4+ barrel ones.

I wanted to do that on my server but there seem to be no way to force different skins for the "German" Gaz. It is possible for planes but not for tanks from what I saw. Maybe I will add them anyway and tell people to take the white skin but it will necessarily lead to some mistakes ...

JG27_Steini
1 hour ago, super-truite said:

I wanted to do that on my server but there seem to be no way to force different skins for the "German" Gaz. It is possible for planes but not for tanks from what I saw. Maybe I will add them anyway and tell people to take the white skin but it will necessarily lead to some mistakes ...

If it shoots you, just shoot back 😉

SCG_Neun

This thing looks awesome!  Currently not home for the download, but can’t wait to try it out.

• Like 1
Swing

This thing IS awesome Neun ;)...The operation of the gun which takes into account the angle and the speed of the plane is a little complex but so addictive...:hunter:

• Upvote 1
40plus

It certainly is a blast to play with. I got a Ju57, an He 111 and a bf110 in my half hour of pew pew.

My only complaint/question is the sound of the gun lacks the oomph I would expect of such a powerful weapon. Is it accurate?

56RAF_Roblex

I tried it in the  quick mission and struggled to work out how to aim and fire the gun effectively and never even saw the tanks that kept killing me. I think I need a lot more practice or a tutorial on Youtube 🙂

jollyjack

I am already saving beercans for target practicing, but dunno how to get them up in the air yet ..., any one try balloon shooting yet?

BTW guess that Uv2s is slow enough for beginners, but it ain't fair as it's a Russian plane, they also say driven by angels. 

Real cowboys don't shoot Ladies (and Children) alas ....

Edited by jollyjack
  • Upvote 1
JG1_Vonrd
12 hours ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

I tried it in the  quick mission and struggled to work out how to aim and fire the gun effectively and never even saw the tanks that kept killing me. I think I need a lot more practice or a tutorial on Youtube 🙂

I went full noob (and aren't we all noobs at the AAA gun?) and set unlimited ammo, immortal and aiming assist and found it to help greatly... baby steps...  😉

Edit: on further testing it doesn't seem that aiming assist does anything. Reducing game time to 1/2 as Fisheye suggests below does help in getting the sighting in. It's still pretty difficult. I did kill a Ju52 and damaged a couple He111's but it took a LOT of ammo. ... More practice in store.

Edited by JG1_Vonrd
  • Like 1
Hajo_Garlic

What is the gun sighted in at? I had a hard time hitting anything faster and smaller than he111s with it 

BraveSirRobin

The AAA truck is lots of fun.  We’re going to need more of these.

• Upvote 1
Fisheye

It was the first I tried after the update. I like it very much, wonderful to play and detailed. Hitting planes is very difficult. I played with 1/2 time factor and switched to the plane I shot at. Gives feedback if aimed too low. Unlimited ammo helps. HE round is better against planes I think.

Could not hit any BF109 but a Ju88 and some Ju52.

More stuff like that please!

jollyjack
13 hours ago, BraveSirRobin said:

The AAA truck is lots of fun.  We’re going to need more of these.

Armored willys ?

PS that friggin' thing won't 'move an inch up hill, Turbo vesion Please !

Just like my old 6v Ford Transit van in the 60-ies, max was 70km uphill on a German Autobahn ....

Tried to shoot an Uv2s on take off. Something's definitely wrong. Shot the Uv2s right up it's face ...... NADA, not a scratch.

Then the plane took off and the darn Gaz Truck with it, and about 10 m high the gunners fell out straight to the ground ...

Gaz MM Failure.jpg

Edited by jollyjack
  • Haha 6
SMARTAZZ

Fun but I could not hit a thing🤓  Mr. Magoo shootingSee the source image

BlitzPig_EL

Had one of my squad mates fly around slowly in a P38 while two of us fired at him.  He was calling the fall of shot because it's very difficult to tell if you are high, low, or in front or behind even a slow moving aircraft.  it helped some.  Later I managed to bag an AI in a Stuka that came directly at me in a strafing run.

If you set up a separate vehicle spawn just for the AA truck, and tick the unlimited ammo box for the spawn you will indeed have infinite reloads as long as you stay within the service radius of the span point.  That helped a lot with practice.

SCG_FeuerFliegen

Got my first air kill in multiplayer on Finnish tonight... what a feeling!  There was a spitfire vulching our planes trying to take off, and I was able to take him out on his second pass at the parked planes.  I couldn't even hit anything smaller than a Hs129 in single player, so I was very proud of myself!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
JG27_Steini
28 minutes ago, SCG_FeuerFliegen said:

Got my first air kill in multiplayer on Finnish tonight... what a feeling!  There was a spitfire vulching our planes trying to take off, and I was able to take him out on his second pass at the parked planes.  I couldn't even hit anything smaller than a Hs129 in single player, so I was very proud of myself!

He was probably the first guy shot down in multiplay by an human AA. We had to build a monument for this moment in IL2 history.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Charlo-VR

It’s possible I was one of the first shot down by a human-controlled AA truck last night. Finnish stats were slow to update last night, so this morning I was entertained to see that after I shot down a P-39 and damaged an Il-2 near their southern airfield, @=66th=Vihurah was credited for hitting me with a single AA round that brought me down 2 minutes later. I had to ditch halfway home.

I knew I had wandered too low and too near their airfield as the Il-2 returned home in a crippled plane, but was happy to see a human had shot me from the ground rather than just an AI gunner. Well done! :salute:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
junkman

This is a lot of fun trying to lead the aircraft to get a hit or two. So how do you shoot horizontal, the right hand armor plate hinged will not drop down to view sight.  can't see targets.

Hello,
today the Sd.Kfz. bought 10/5 Flak 38. Do I still have to install the file and if so, where do I go?
Ulli

JG27_Steini
20 minutes ago, addi said:

Hello,
today the Sd.Kfz. bought 10/5 Flak 38. Do I still have to install the file and if so, where do I go?
Ulli

The Flak 38 is not yet available to use. You can buy it and you will have early access when it arrives.

• 2 weeks later...
Monostripezebra
Posted (edited)

Weapon mods, when?

grafik.png.2d7722ae5ce52eef4ea04b67040faaf2.png

no seriously, when that is allready in the game and timeframewise also WW1-compatible (well with a little strechin) why not have some old maxims to also extend usability to other timeframe scenarios.. also: MGs are fun.

Edited by Monostripezebra
  • Confused 1
ickylevel

Isn't there a bug with the speed compensation? It goes in the opposite direction of where it should.