Game version 4.601 discussion: Spitfire Mk.XIV, Nieuport 28.C1, GAZ-MM 72-K, other changes

Han

Jade_Monkey
3 hours ago, Soilworker said:

Beebop, (I mean this as nice as possible) the game is supposed to be started with the launcher, if you have problems with running the .exe direct due to mod reasons, well that's on you matey. 

"I don't do any of these things because nobody tells me what to do but how come it's not working perfectly when i do what I want outside of how it's supposed to be used?"

• Thanks 1

Beebop

Well excuuuse me.  Ask a question, get slapped in the face.  Thanks for the love.

4 hours ago, Soilworker said:

the game is supposed to be started with the launcher

I don't remember seeing that in the "instructions".  And if that's the case then why is there even a direct .exe in the game folder?

Wait, before you slap me again let me put on my headgear.

jokerBR
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Beebop said:

Why did my game start without requiring the update?

No, I am not a Steam user.  I think Steam is bloatware that takes up valuable space on my hard drive and based on what I've read seems to be more trouble than it's worth.  Besides, I like to buy directly from the manufacturer.

I pre-ordered FC2 and have the Nieuport 28.  I'm online and pick the N28 and my game crashes and gives me the message I don't own the content, 😲  yet I was able to choose it  ???

I don't use the Launcher because I use Mods and in the past some of the updates fecked with my keybinds and HOTAS settings.  So I use the regular .exe and if an update is available I get a message I need to install it to play.  That way I can unload any mods and backup my 'input' folder then use the Launcher to update.

I thought that was the way the game was designed so everyone was on the same page.  But this time I was able to run the game until I chose the Nieuport.  Apparently the game doesn't know I own it so doesn't inform me I need to update.

Do I have to check the forums every time before I start the game to see if there's an update/hotfix etc.?

Just a TAD frustrated with the way this works. 😡

Hi @Beebop. Although I use the game on Steam, I also start it bypassing the launcher and going straight to the IL2.exe. Steam deals with the updates for me. 

That being said, I use a small launcher that I coded for myself, which allows me to check/change options BEFORE calling the game (gamma, mods on/off, and other stuff). My launcher has a button to call the original launcher.exe just in case I want to "force" something, in your case, this would be the update. If you call IL2.exe directly, the game bypasses the update check process, and then you'll have troubles. But fear not, in order to be on the safe side when doing updates, just keep at hand a backup of the \data\input folder, this is where your bindings are located.

I remember ONCE the settings being messed up by an update, but this was a result of the bindings receiving a revamping due to new options/stuff in the game which probably altered the internal structure of the bindings file. 

So, if you're not running from Steam, yes, you need to check to see if there's an update (or simply wait to receive such error messages, so you know that there must be an update waiting, and then you run launcher.exe to update the game. After that, you can resume starting the game thru il2.exe.

If you're interested on my "launcher" (I did it using AutoIT), the fonts and .exe along with instructions are located here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ahfq18avhBNkkt1owgkZN5XeC5uYfQ?e=92arf3

Feel free to contact me if in doubt. 
Cheers and have good flights.

Launcher.jpg

Edited by jokerBR
insert picture
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Beebop
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, jokerBR said:

If you call IL2.exe directly, the game bypasses the update check process

THAT I didn't know.  Previously when I would log into the game using the direct .exe I would get a message that there was an update I needed to install.

Thank you for an informative and helpful response.  :thank_you:

I will check out your launcher app.

Edited by Beebop
  • Like 1

Soilworker
2 hours ago, Beebop said:

Well excuuuse me.  Ask a question, get slapped in the face.  Thanks for the love.

I don't remember seeing that in the "instructions".  And if that's the case then why is there even a direct .exe in the game folder?

Wait, before you slap me again let me put on my headgear.

Well I wouldn't say I slapped you, as I said I meant it in the nicest way possible, just trying to help answer your question. 

But to answer this question, well you said it yourself: it's in the game folder. Not in the Start Menu or on the desktop, when the game installs it doesn't give you a link to the .exe but rather the launcher, the game directory is for game files. 

Beebop
1 hour ago, Soilworker said:

Well I wouldn't say I slapped you, as I said I meant it in the nicest way possible, just trying to help answer your question. 

But to answer this question, well you said it yourself: it's in the game folder. Not in the Start Menu or on the desktop, when the game installs it doesn't give you a link to the .exe but rather the launcher, the game directory is for game files. 

Sorry.  I was just so frustrated when I crashed the Server because I hadn't updated nor was aware that a hotfix had been applied.

As I stated, in the past starting the game, even using the direct .exe, it let me know when an update needed to be installed.  Apparently hotfixes are not viewed with the same priority.  I just wanted to understand why it happened.  Now I know.

And as for Jade_Monkey's response...sorry I think it's a little snarky and certainly not at all helpful.  I appreciate he's a senior member with tons more knowledge and experience than I but do question why he feels the need to use a belittling tone to an error made in ignorance.

Just sayin'.

jollyjack

Updating. As soon as the launcher starts mocking up and downloading, i stop it. Backup the whole previous installation elsewhere, renamed.

Then set all the new downloaded folders that i changed by renaming them to default. Missions, campaigns, skins, input, and more,

think swf and any thing i modded like the fixcameras. some user folder that holds the campaign levels reached, but always seem to forget that.

Also why i hate the bought protected campaigns and gave up playing them ... 

After that i copy my old folders into the new installation.

• Thanks 1

Soilworker
40 minutes ago, Beebop said:

Sorry.  I was just so frustrated when I crashed the Server because I hadn't updated nor was aware that a hotfix had been applied.

As I stated, in the past starting the game, even using the direct .exe, it let me know when an update needed to be installed.  Apparently hotfixes are not viewed with the same priority.  I just wanted to understand why it happened.  Now I know.

And as for Jade_Monkey's response...sorry I think it's a little snarky and certainly not at all helpful.  I appreciate he's a senior member with tons more knowledge and experience than I but do question why he feels the need to use a belittling tone to an error made in ignorance.

Just sayin'.

No worries dude, I get it. 👍

• Thanks 1

ACG_Frederf
On 5/5/2021 at 8:48 PM, Denum said:

Honestly can't help you guys then.

This info wasn't hidden. 

Infact you can find it with two clicks from the search function. 

Logically hot fix data would be included with the current patch thread because the issues came from the patch. I didn't think this was investigator level deductions...

Show to me on this launcher where is the link for the 4.601b changelog. When I click the latest link it for something April 21 which is not this latest patch. Why is it so hard for the latest patch changelog to be a link on the launcher news? This is basic competence.

Untitled.png

216th_Cat
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, ACG_Frederf said:

Show to me on this launcher where is the link for the 4.601b changelog. When I click the latest link it for something April 21 which is not this latest patch. Why is it so hard for the latest patch changelog to be a link on the launcher news? This is basic competence.

Untitled.png

Perhaps they forgot? But I'm with you - I would expect the loading screen to be up to date especially when an update is downloading. There's probably a load of folk that don't come anywhere near this forum.

Edited by 216th_Cat

Denum
1 hour ago, ACG_Frederf said:

Untitled.png

Basic competence?

You guys are going whine about not being able to find patch notes and suggest the devs are at fault? 

Frankly if finding the patch notes is too hard, they probably aren't much use to the person seeking them anyway.

You can find them in less then 10 seconds from that launcher.

Man I knew were an over entitled bunch but holy crap...

fubar_2_niner

Can't find any info on the new update ??

Am I blind?

Regards

fubar

A-E-Hartmann

Look at the DD, there is all the information as you go.

BlitzPig_EL

It was a hotfix.  The info is in the thread for the main part of the 4.601 update. Basically it fixed the cloudy armored windscreen of the P51, and added some more "official" skins.

fubar_2_niner

Thanks chaps, seems I am blind !!!!

AKA_Ramstein
Posted (edited)

What was the patch we got on Friday 05-07-2021 ? I could not find anything about it, a heads up, or antyhing anywhere...

Edited by AKA_Ramstein

• AKA_Ramstein changed the title to What was the patch we got on Friday 05-07-2021 ?
LukeFF
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, AKA_Ramstein said:

What was the patch we got on Friday 05-07-2021 ? I could not find anything about it, a heads up, or antyhing anywhere...

The last update was on the 5th:

Edited by LukeFF

BladeMeister

Guys, it has always been this way, even with ROF in the ROF Forums. Once the update is announced, in the 'Announcement' section, in the 'Update' thread there is always an update discussion thread which is linked at the bottom of the actual update post. If any hotfixes are applied to the update then they are always announced in this discussion thread and are pinned to the top of every page of that discussion thread. if you are new here on the Forums that is how this works, if you are an old hat here then this is a refresher. Yes I am being really polite here and not writing what I am really thinking.:dash:

For those

that like explicit instructions.

IL2 Forums; Home Tab

1.Annoucements

2. Updates; scroll to latest

post. Includes release notes.

3. At the bottom of this latest Update post find the Update discussion link; open it

4. Any hotfixes will be announced in this thread, usually by 'Sneaksie'. The hotfix post will then be pinned to the top of every page of this Update discussion thread within a short while(hours?). 

And/or

6. The quickest way to keep up to date on Hotfix releases is to rapidly scroll through the Update Discussion Thread and look for green background posts. Again, usually 'Sneaksie' will post the hot fix announcements and you will find other useful replies made by the 1C team by looking for green background posts. 

In a nutshell that is it. 

I can arrange to prepare a spreadsheet if you are a complete computer geek and require such.:mda:

S!Blade<><

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I am happy that we get new gameplay: AA gun on the Gaz

Hope for more new gameplay.

Beebop
1 hour ago, BladeMeister said:

I can arrange to prepare a spreadsheet if you are a complete computer geek and require such.

🤣

:unsure: Wait....maybe that's me you're talking about....:scratch_one-s_head:

• Haha 1

Diggun

Thanks for the new Yak7b skins, @ICDP

I'm loving the grey one. Grey Yaks are the best yaks. She's never looked better! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Han unpinned this topic
=FI=Genosse

Hi Devs,

I'm not sure this one has already been mentioned since it's a minor detail I want to point you at.

1531147163_Brmhilde.png.096b71804f0a535c6c315ab31d0c8e12.png

The livery called "Brümhilde" contains as far as I know a typo. The only German woman name I know of which comes close to this one is called "Brünnhilde". As I said before it's a minor detail ...

*takinghisbootsinhishandsandruns*

Gen "Troublemaker" osse :bye:

RNAS10_Oliver
Posted (edited)
On 6/6/2021 at 2:47 PM, =FI=Genosse said:

Hi Devs,

I'm not sure this one has already been mentioned since it's a minor detail I want to point you at.

The livery called "Brümhilde" contains as far as I know a typo. The only German woman name I know of which comes close to this one is called "Brünnhilde". As I said before it's a minor detail ...

Might be a mistake to assume that the pilots (or whoever painted the design) themselves spelt the name correct. As that very well might not have been the case. And could have just chosen a name that they thought was German or German sounding and come up with Brumhilde. Not having a great experience of German women's names I dare say I could have come up with that and believed to be real. For example there was during the Great War an "presentation aircraft" that the people of the Akyem Abuakwa Division of the Gold Coast donated. But the guys that painted the name onto the aircraft (this was a Camel serial E7260) wrote this as Akim Abekwa instead. I'm sure there's plenty of other examples over both wars of such errors.

The photographs of the actual aircraft that I could see with an quick google search were not in good enough detail to see the exact spelling used. And scale models and profiles (though tend to think should not rely upon these for accuracy less photographs that back them up can be found) seem to give the name as either Brunhilde or Brumhilde. Not saying your wrong though just that the name on there not being an actual German women's name and/or with correct spelling does not necessarily mean an errors been made with the skin.

Edited by Oliver88

=FI=Genosse

Sounds reasonable to me, Oliver. Thanks, mate.

So, we better rest this case then, eh? ;)

Gen "Got it!" osse :salute:

Monksilver
On 6/6/2021 at 2:47 PM, =FI=Genosse said:

Hi Devs,

Maybe it was a picture of some lass from Birmingham.😁

NoelGallagher

hey devs 

did you guys change something with the caterpillar track on the tank?

i notice the caterpillar track of the tiger1 and panther looking weird when it reaches high speed 

it doesn't look clear as before update

the difference is very subtle 

maybe i'm hallucinating

can you guys confirm this ?

JG4_Deciman
Posted (edited)
On 6/6/2021 at 3:47 PM, =FI=Genosse said:

Hi Devs,

I think it should be 'Brunhilde'

Deci

Edited by JG4_Deciman

Gambit21
23 hours ago, =FI=Genosse said:

Sounds reasonable to me, Oliver. Thanks, mate.

So, we better rest this case then, eh? ;)

Gen "Got it!" osse :salute:

There were many misspellings in many aircraft in the war. Many were intentional or slang, others not (like this one) :)

• Upvote 1

Trooper117
17 hours ago, JG4_Deciman said:

I think it should be 'Brunhilde'

You is wrong... she comes from Birmingham, she's a 'Brummie'...