IL-2 Dials (Instrument Panel App)

image_2021-10-14_164847.png

Hello there, I've been working on a dashboard app recently for IL-2 Great Battles and I'm nearly at the point where I can release it in to the wild, I just need some friendly testers to check all is well.

If any lovely person would like to try this out, I'd be very grateful.

Edit: Update

Release! Version 0.3!

Both client and server need updated. Only the windows client at the moment because this is very beta.

Added Dials - 
- Heading Indicator / Compass
- Turn and Bank  / Artificial Horizon (Plane specific)
- Turn Co-ordinator
- Vertical Speed Indicator

Added Functionality -
- Save layouts for each plane - Scale, Position, or remove entirely
- Only Dials available in game will be available in app (fair play for online)

Notes and worries - 
- This was a massive update and I have tried to test all the dials available to me, however I do expect some problems, so don't be shy about telling me what dials are not working, or are hard to read etc.  The US planes were particularly difficult to find the in game data for so if anyone can try the Kittyhawk for me (I don't have it) and the Bodenplatte US planes, p-47d-29, p-51d-15 and let me know how they are. The turn co-ordinator needle has been the problem mostly. Good luck!

Windows Server to send info to tablet/phone (Version 0.3)

https://dellywelly.itch.io/il-2-dials-server

Android Client (Google Play)(Version 0.2)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.DellyWellySoftware.Il2Dials&ah=3rBoID2w3KY9Ax_Hf78QA8AJO9c

Windows Client (alpha version, features to be added)(Version 0.3)

https://dellywelly.itch.io/il-2-dials-client-windows

Discord link if you would like to give feedback there (People seem to love Discord these days)

https://discord.gg/tuN8yuwS9V

There is a large chance there will be problems as this is the first test! Thanks!

Edited by Blorg
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

VilsonFarias

Hello Blorg,

I joined the Android Beta program but it says none of my devices are supported. I have a Galaxy S10 with latest Android. I'm wonder what is wrong with my device. Can you tell me what are the supported devices at this point.

Are you interested in releasing to iOS too? I'm a senior iOS developer and for me it would be a nice opportunity to play with some low level graphics and also have lots of fun.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hello, I'm looking in to the supported devices now, I am NOT a senior Android developer so I'm still working out how to navigate the Google Play store stuff. And sure, why not for iOs, although the initial license costs put me off. The app is built in Unity so it is doing the graphics pipeline for me. Thanks for the interest, i'll update if I make progress on the supported devices.
Edit: The s10 is in the supported list ( This will almost certainly be something I have set wrong somewhere). Test devices that have worked so far are Samsung s5 Neo (marshmallow), Google Nexus 2013 (custom) and Honor 10 Lite (Android 10)
Edit 2: Possible fix is clearing Play Store cache, some reports for s10's online misbehaving

image.thumb.png.39e370e3c09bc452a770fc8e978f70f4.png

Edited by Blorg

I've updated some settings on the Play Store which was causing problems with availability for the android app, fingers crossed!

• 3 weeks later...
Ryanair_FMK

What API do you use for getting the gauges data?

AndyJWest
Just now, FMK said:

What API do you use for getting the gauges data?

I'd like to know this too. 

AndyJWest

I'd advise against putting too much effort into developing software that works that way. 1C-777 may not consider its use legitimate.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

It is really a proof of concept as a design proposal for their API which they have mentioned in the past, so if they have any problems with it, I can then ask them to implement their API for us to use.  I appreciate the word of warning though, I shall wait and see. 

AndyJWest

Fair enough. I know that when they've previously been asked about an instrument API or similar, they've said that what they want is a firm proposal, so this may be the best way to get them interested.

• 3 weeks later...
ComradeDuck

Hi Blorg,

I gave the Windows client a spin today and it worked great. Fantastic work. I'd kind of given up hope of being able to run instruments on a separate monitor for IL2GB. I'd love to help test this more if you need a guinea pig! 🙂

• Like 1

Hey that's great! I'm glad the windows client is working nicely, and sure, helping me test would be lovely. I've been making some more dials this week for the other countries and have just picked up the macchi c202 for super cheap in the steam sale so I can test that now 😄 

Posted (edited)

Version 0.2 is now available, German, UK, US, and Italian dials added!

GER.jpg

ITA.jpg

RU.jpg

UK.jpg

US.jpg

Edited by Blorg

ComradeDuck
Posted (edited)

Awesome! I'll give this a spin asap. 😃

**Update**

Just tried these out. Love the alternate gauges for the different planes. I had no issues up until I jumped in a Mustang and noticed the altimeter is off. Wondering if maybe it's not converting from meters to feet?

Edited by ComradeDuck
Updated response
  • Thanks 1

I did attempt to convert it, but obviously something has went wrong, thanks for the heads up, I'll have a look at it in the morning.

Posted (edited)

I had a look at the US altimeter and I think it's actually alright. The inner track is 0 -20 thousand ft, modelled after this altimeter which is a 2 needle instead of the 3 needle in the game. I do have to admit I find the altimeters in feet much harder to read.

The hud shows the altitude to nearest friendly airfield, not absolute pressure ( left Alt + A to toggle this in game), so perhaps this is misleading too.

Note the UK altimeter has three needles so reading it in game is the same as in the app.

What do you think, should I make the US dial the 3 needle as in the game, or stick to the original design of the altimeter? I had initially planned to stick to the game designs as much as possible but the real dials are more interesting to look at (and model), however I didn't want to create any unfair advantage with my app (when I add more dials I still plan to only allow the dials actually available in the game, e.g no climb rate in the yak7B).

I'm rambling now but any thoughts on the matter are welcome, and if I'm wrong about the US dial, please correct me!

dialsEx.png

Edited by Blorg

ComradeDuck

I'll take another look this weekend and get back to you, it's very possible I got confused and misread it . 😵

What do you think, should I make the US dial the 3 needle as in the game, or stick to the original design of the altimeter? I had initially planned to stick to the game designs as much as possible but the real dials are more interesting to look at (and model), however I didn't want to create any unfair advantage with my app (when I add more dials I still plan to only allow the dials actually available in the game, e.g no climb rate in the yak7B).

I'm rambling now but any thoughts on the matter are welcome, and if I'm wrong about the US dial, please correct me!

Personally I'd love to have gauges that match the in game instruments, or the option to choose? I agree the real dials are definitely more interesting. Are you able to pull all instrument data from IL2 or just specific gauges? 

Pipedream question - Do you plan on implementing the ability for the user to re-arrange and resize the gauges in the future? I have a monitor dedicated to instruments that I'm currently installing behind a reproduction P51 instrument panel frame. I usually only use it with DCS but If I could display IL2 instruments on it using your amazing client and move have the ability to move gauges around I'd die a happy nerd. 🤯

Edited by ComradeDuck
My spelling is crap

Posted (edited)

I can retrieve the airspeed and altitude etc, but not specific rotations, I need to work them out myself for each dial. It isn't a lot of work to replicate the US altimeter as it is in the game so on the next update I'll put in a three needle (with maybe an option for the 2 needle somewhere). 
Pipedream answer, absolutely! I've just been waiting on adding more dials before I implement interface rearranging. There's also the ability to have multiple clients connect to the server, because I figured/hoped that someone somewhere will have multiple tablets/laptops/pcs strapped to a home made rig in an attic!
Once I implement this, you'll have to share some photos of course ;)

And in the interest of sharing, w.i.p for the next set of dials.

turnCo.jpg

Edited by Blorg
Added a pic

• 4 weeks later...
HotPursuit
On 6/11/2021 at 4:34 AM, Blorg said:

What do you think, should I make the US dial the 3 needle as in the game, or stick to the original design of the altimeter?

Hi Blorg,

Thanks for the App it works great :good:

I think the confusion with the US altimeter isn't the number of needles rather the fact that your altimeter uses an extra inner scale for the '1000's' of feet.

It would be better if it matched the in game altimeter with the outer scale only imho.

Yeah, I agree, I didn't realise how annoying it is to read when I was modelling it.  The next update, I'll change it to something more readable. Thanks for the input :)

v0.3 - Known problems with pvp - working on it.

v0.301 released

Edited by Blorg

good app. Thanks for the huge work!!

the link with the game is ok.

For German we need engines monitoring gauges (Ata, RPM and if you can the different temp (water, oil,...).

Many thanks again for the work.

Guillaume

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you like it. For now I am focusing on fixing bugs and making sure everything is working. Once the app is stable and can handle game updates I will be looking in to engine gauges, it is much requested! 

• Blorg changed the title to IL-2 Dials (Instrument Panel App)
  • Jason_Williams pinned this topic