Hurricane skin info. required please. Wing Commander Tom Neil, 249 Sq. Malta 1941

I am looking to recreate his paintwork but need some info. if anyone can help? 

Tom flew of Ark Royal in May 1941 in a Hurricane before landing at Malta. 

And that's all I have. 

I am looking for the Hurricane type (IIb, IIc?), the serial number and lettering if possible? Currently my searches of the National archives have proved fruitless. 

Can anyone help? 

Thanks in advance, Mysticpuma. 

It was a Mk.1 tropical he flew according to Scramble, he lamented that they'd been issued mk.II's only to have them taken away and given old mk.1's to fly to malta, then he had the service panel break open mid flight and spent all his time with his leg wedging the pedal open to keep her straight.

I think as he was there may to november before his breakdown which means they won't have been using the established desert scheme from sep 41, rather you're more likely to find that they'll be Dark green and tan, @Lemsip has done a fair bit on this for his fantastic Roald Dahl series, usually with a blue shade underside to match the azure of the med sky.

there were later flights of Mk.II's flown in, tbh they flew in what they could when they could.

• Upvote 1
Posted (edited)

Thank you Melonfish, that moves me a little further forward.... just need the serial and codes now 👍

Edited by Mysticpuma
6 hours ago, Mysticpuma said:

I am looking to recreate his paintwork but need some info. if anyone can help? 

Tom flew of Ark Royal in May 1941 in a Hurricane before landing at Malta. 

And that's all I have. 

I am looking for the Hurricane type (IIb, IIc?), the serial number and lettering if possible? Currently my searches of the National archives have proved fruitless. 

Can anyone help? 

Thanks in advance, Mysticpuma. 

Hi as stated, I've done a fair amount of research into the Grecian and Cretan Hurricanes (which was a nightmare). It is a similar situation with the Malta Hurricanes, but with more consensus. It is most likely that the batch of Hurricanes Tom Neil's squadron flew off the carrier were painted Dark Green/Dark Brown/Sky blue underside. 

This thread gives you all the details you will need, and this photo is pretty much accurate except for the aircraft serial no. 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/50654-malta-hurricanes/

Onward to Malta: Amazon.co.uk: Neil, T.F.: 9781853102097: Books

• Thanks 1