Hello! 

so i was searching for the Ar-234 in the wiki because i am very excited with this addition to the game, and i came across some variants like C-2 a copy of the B-2 but with 4 engines, and the C-3 with 2 mg 151/20 on the nose. BUT i don´t know hom many of these were built or if they maneged to get to the frontline, if someone can write on the comments anything you want to add do it, you will help me learn.

ar234_front_02.thumb.jpg.733fdfc226018fa733691955056d829c.jpg

ar234c3_1.jpg.ed090536b7eca2e97904d7e6345a42d7.jpg1769884651_Ar234-C3-46af.jpg.e225cd460ec09195f67b72f2ebc1b1f0.jpg

ar234_2.thumb.gif.82fd2fd373cfd370ef2365c66f76c28e.gif

The C variant wasn't operational. Furthermore, the evidence seems to suggest that almost no operational aircraft carried the rearward firing guns. So the options will most likely be just various mixtures of bombs. I'm hoping that the devs will include an option to just carry an SC500/SD500/AB500/SC1000 bomb on the centre-line. IRL Arados often attacked at medium altitudes and risked getting bounced by allied fighters which were higher up - so they sometimes flew with a reduced armament in order to maximise their speed. They also apparently abandoned level-bombing for this reason.

If you really wanted on with a forward firing armament - It appears that several Ar-234B variants were modified to carry WB-151 cannon pods, including one which claimed to have shot down an 'F5' P-38 recon variant over Northern Italy. It actually appears that this field modification may have been common enough that 1/35 Arados carried it (making it more common than some of the other field modifications we have). IMHO, we don't really have any chance of seeing it - primarily due to the lack of photographic evidence, particularly regarding the gun-sights used.

You might find this thread interesting:

Arado 234 Blitz Bomber - General Discussion - IL-2 Sturmovik Forum (il2sturmovik.com)

So, expect to be able to use the aircraft for precision bombing in shallow dives and recon work... armed recon (or intercepting recon aircraft) is likely out of the question.

• Upvote 2

Good to add to the list of aircraft for a 1946 scenario.  I want to be clear- it's a really cool aircraft, it just wouldn't fit in to a historical setting.

1 hour ago, CF-105 said:

Good to add to the list of aircraft for a 1946 scenario.  I want to be clear- it's a really cool aircraft, it just wouldn't fit in to a historical setting.

Alot of aircraft designs were completed before the war ended, and some were even in prototyping stages.  If we could have a ME 262 built to the original FIGHTER design, wed have something to really roll ourselves with.  

• Confused 1
13 hours ago, pocketshaver said:

Alot of aircraft designs were completed before the war ended, and some were even in prototyping stages.  If we could have a ME 262 built to the original FIGHTER design, wed have something to really roll ourselves with.  

?? That is what we have!

By the time jet engine development had produced a sufficiently reliable and high thrust engine the Me-262 designs had already evolve to incorporate a swept wing, Mk-108 centred armament, and tricycle undercarriage. The earlier fighter variants had no chance of coming about. The Me-262A which is modelled in the sim is the first operational fighter version of this aircraft.

• Upvote 2
On 4/19/2021 at 11:02 PM, pocketshaver said:

If you aren't yet aware, IL-2 doesn't use prototype aircraft in the historical installments, because they weren't operational aircraft used on the front.  However, if the devs ever do a new 1946 scenario I'd love to fly some cool prototypes around like the Ar-234 C, Ho 229, etc.

Prototypes are cool but i feel like implementing them into a historical game is just the begining of the end, you go on a downward spiral and never recover.

• Upvote 1
On 4/20/2021 at 4:35 AM, Avimimus said:

It actually appears that this field modification may have been common enough that 1/35 Arados carried it (making it more common than some of the other field modifications we have).

The Luftwaffe used 1/35 Ar-234s? Are you sure? I can only find information about 1/32 Ar-234s:

F38B0BD1-6841-4D7B-9EAE-230126E3C808.jpeg.8e31429c1e66744e7a0808141278df02.jpeg

Anyway, @Feathered_IV, this might lead your to more information about the miniature Fw-190s you were investigating earlier.

• Haha 1